Auto Headlights

Is it possible to adjust the sensor for the auto headlights ?

In the ‘auto’ position, mine seem to like staying on all the time, even in bright sunshine, when I would have thought they would automatically switch off and just leave the DRLs illuminated.

You can change the sensitivity in the infotainment. 

Auto lights are activated in poor lighting conditions, not just the dark. A bright but low sun will also likely active the lights. In addition, as with all assistance systems, you’re free to override if you feel it’s not required. 

• Like 1

Cheers all, I’ll have a look in the infotainment menu next time I’m out. I know I can manually switch the lights off, or on as required, but I’m liking the idea of ‘auto’.

Car was parked on gf’s drive in Kirkcudbright this morning in bright sunshine and after starting up, I checked round the car and found the head and tail lights on. I don’t think they should be coming on in such bright conditions, when ‘auto’ is selected

I headed A75, M6 (in to the sun) & A66 with barely a cloud in the sky and they were still on when I got home.

they will generally stay on for a while longer than you might expect. However, they will turn themselves off at some point. I've found the auto setting to work really well except in fog. I don't generally touch the switch as a result. 

- Bret

• Like 4

16 hours ago, brettikivi said:

I've found the auto setting to work really well except in fog.

That's why I activated the 'rear DRL' function so I don't have to touch the light switch again. :) The front LED DRLs are bright enough in fog.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

You do know that real front fogs use 55W bulbs? DRLs generally don't.

Yep but the DRLs are designed to shine into other driver's eyes while the fogs don't. So the wattage is just a number. IMHO the the DRLs are much more noticeable at full brighness than the LED dipped beams + DRLs at low brightness.

By the way the fog lights are only 35W (H8).

Edited by aki78
  • Like 1

I leave my lights on auto all the time, on the odd occasion that I notice that they stay on when I think that they shouldn't be, I temporarily turn them off, then back to auto a few miles on, the same applies to the windscreen wipers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

The only time I ever switch my lights from Auto is in fog - so I can turn on the front/rear fog lights (as appropriate).

You can turn on your fog lights even in AUTO, you dont have to turn the switch to another positions.

• Like 1

The lights also come on if the rain sensor activates so it's an alround good system, but I do have them set to low sensitivity so they don't come on when a leaf drops on my car...

13 hours ago, misor1994 said:

You can turn on your fog lights even in AUTO, you dont have to turn the switch to another positions.

On my previous Audi you couldn't pull the switch out in the Auto position to turn on the fog lights so I must admit I've never tried on my Octavia ☹️

Thanks for the tip :thumbup:

On 03/01/2020 at 14:50, silver1011 said:

I found on mine that once activated, until I slowed down and was sat in slow moving traffic for a few minutes they'd often stay on.

My old Oct 2 had auto lights and if you did over about 65mph it would automatically turn the headlights on.

• Like 1

Yep, that's still a feature, it is 140kph (87mph).

Also, if the wipers are wiping constantly they'll activate the auto headlights.

My point was that once either of the various inputs activated the headlights, they wouldn't turn off again until my I was in stop/start traffic for several minutes, and even this was hit and miss, they'd often stay on until the next ignition cycle.

image.png.77dc6e564d7198d38f3bfe881cf0db29.png

image.png.9795787df977d3cf31b6bf81c16640a4.png

Most time I just turned the lights from Auto to off ....

I also have same issue on current car that once they come on especially if it's due to using wipers /rain they take an age to go off again.  If they come on in a tunnel they generally go off quickly after exiting.

20 hours ago, ScoutCJB said:

Most time I just turned the lights from Auto to off ....

I also have same issue on current car that once they come on especially if it's due to using wipers /rain they take an age to go off again.  If they come on in a tunnel they generally go off quickly after exiting.

So the reason they do this is to make you visible to other road users where there is a likelihood of poor visibility (rain, spray etc.). Lights aren’t just about you seeing where you are going. 
they stay on for a time after rain has stopped as there is still a good chance of people not seeing you well. 

Your choice of course what you do with them 🙂

• Like 3