Living With A Sportline Plus 272 Hatch

11 minutes ago, xman said:

He should perhaps instead start a Youtube or Instagram channel and make £££ driving around for free, a sort of Mrs Hinch of the Skoda Superb world. Who knows, he make even make national tv !!! Fortunately I don't watch TV.

:bearhug:

But you might be tempted to start, prime time viewing. You could end up wearing the T shirt.

• Haha 1

Still doesn’t explain all the pre ownership “my vRS is so much better than your 280/272 superb” comments then went and bought one which then wasn’t good enough so had to be remapped which then turned into a “my car is so economical yet it’s obviously much faster than everyone else’s” (Harry Enfield sketch comes to mind...) and now suddenly it’s being traded in for a 150 diesel. Something doesn’t add up, I’m with Nick-H even though I’ve only owned for a few weeks I ain’t getting rid of this one for years!!!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, SkudMissile21 said:

Still doesn’t explain all the pre ownership “my vRS is so much better than your 280/272 superb” comments then went and bought one which then wasn’t good enough so had to be remapped which then turned into a “my car is so economical yet it’s obviously much faster than everyone else’s” (Harry Enfield sketch comes to mind...) and now suddenly it’s being traded in for a 150 diesel. Something doesn’t add up, I’m with Nick-H even though I’ve only owned for a few weeks I ain’t getting rid of this one for years!!!

I'm probably going keep my old Superb for a while, it's still a very useful & fun car, + I can experience something of the Superb 3's DNA in my bright red Golf R .  

I've been on both sides of the modified car game as a modifier and also as a motorsaleswoman (is that a word?).

I sold a modified Uno Turbo ie (mkII) and declared it to the garage when I traded it in for a Clio 16V (the original one :) ). I got a call after a relatively short while from the new owner, telling me the turbo had blown up. I said I had declared it to the dealer and he said he knew of the mod (it was fairly obvious, especially once you had driven the understeering monster :D ), but was disappointed. I asked if he was using the recommended octane booster? and avoiding massive 5th gear pulls up the M62 (Windy Hill for those who know it) and he said he had being doing exactly those things! Charging up and down on the M62 and running on the cheapest fuel he could find. I had little sympathy for him, but it does show that while I owned the modified car I had no problem, but perhaps I gave the next owner a more fragile car, or he was plain unsympathetic and drove the car hard all the time. Shy drives his car like my Dad so it probably isn't going to go pop in the immediate future, but it is a certainty that the life expectancy of certain components of his car will have been reduced. Simple engineering and physics dictate this. 

When I was a saleswoman, chip tuning wasn't so popular in those days as cars were much less sophisticated and I only got caught foul of it once. The boss went mad when we found out as he said he wanted to be shot of it immediately, so we sent it off to the block. Perhaps he overreacted or perhaps he was prescient to it's future, either way he didn't want the hassle of it coming back with a con-rod poking out of the block (he didn't put it quite so eloquently!) 

Usually, tweaked cars are fun for the modding owner, but a pain for all the next buyers imho

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xman said:

I may be wrong but I think Shy has hinted at the real reason for the sudden and unexpected change.

I just hope he doesnt start another thread, "Living with a 150ps diesel Superb SEL with adblue", that, with all that "First Word part x" residential care home stuff would be too much.

He should perhaps instead start a Youtube or Instagram channel and make £££ driving around for free, a sort of Mrs Hinch of the Skoda Superb world. Who knows, he make even make national tv !!! Fortunately I don't watch TV.

:bearhug:

You have to be a certified plonker to be a U Tuber. Think SHMEE150, Supercars of London etc. Just the dirty black car issue for me and if I was going to change it had to be the latest Mk3.5 Superb and having discovered I like ACC and DSG (7 speed anyway) decided to bore everyone with photo's of the goal of the 1,000 mile tank of diesel because I already proved you can travel 1,000km in a 272 with a careful right foot.:kiss:

6 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

I've been on both sides of the modified car game as a modifier and also as a motorsaleswoman (is that a word?).

I sold a modified Uno Turbo ie (mkII) and declared it to the garage when I traded it in for a Clio 16V (the original one :) ). I got a call after a relatively short while from the new owner, telling me the turbo had blown up. I said I had declared it to the dealer and he said he knew of the mod (it was fairly obvious, especially once you had driven the understeering monster :D ), but was disappointed. I asked if he was using the recommended octane booster? and avoiding massive 5th gear pulls up the M62 (Windy Hill for those who know it) and he said he had being doing exactly those things! Charging up and down on the M62 and running on the cheapest fuel he could find. I had little sympathy for him, but it does show that while I owned the modified car I had no problem, but perhaps I gave the next owner a more fragile car, or he was plain unsympathetic and drove the car hard all the time. Shy drives his car like my Dad so it probably isn't going to go pop in the immediate future, but it is a certainty that the life expectancy of certain components of his car will have been reduced. Simple engineering and physics dictate this. 

When I was a saleswoman, chip tuning wasn't so popular in those days as cars were much less sophisticated and I only got caught foul of it once. The boss went mad when we found out as he said he wanted to be shot of it immediately, so we sent it off to the block. Perhaps he overreacted or perhaps he was prescient to it's future, either way he didn't want the hassle of it coming back with a con-rod poking out of the block (he didn't put it quite so eloquently!) 

Usually, tweaked cars are fun for the modding owner, but a pain for all the next buyers imho

You summed it up nicely. Not the mods that are the problem but how it is driven and what fuel you put in it. If you like to experience and engine pinking then put cheap fuel in it and remap it.:nod:

6 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

Those wee Uno turbos were great craic. Friend of mine had one at the time, and was pulled over for inappropriate acceleration😂. Think he changed it for a Renault 5 turbo. Another great fun wee motor. I’d a Mk2 Astra at the time with a modded calibra turbo engine, that confused folks as it should have been a 1.6. 
Good times!!

Had to wait until I was 24 in 1988 to buy a fun car with a massive 1.4 litre engine pumping out 85bhp and a manual choke (remember those awful things). A white Citreon AX GT and it would hold it's own against my mate's XR2 with 96bhp due to its light weight. Went for a  test drive in a Peugeot 205 GTi with the revvy 1.6 litre 115bhp engine and it seemed like a rocketship in comparison.

Edited by shyVRS245
wrong word

We had a traders policy, so at 19 I was driving a 24V Carlton. Always loved the Rover turbos though. Had a 220 turbo coupe, several 620ti’s and a couple of 820 vitesse’s. This 272 sort of reminds me of a modern version of the latter two. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

You have to be a certified plonker to be a U Tuber. Think SHMEE150, Supercars of London etc. Just the dirty black car issue for me and if I was going to change it had to be the latest Mk3.5 Superb and having discovered I like ACC and DSG (7 speed anyway) decided to bore everyone with photo's of the goal of the 1,000 mile tank of diesel because I already proved you can travel 1,000km in a 272 with a careful right foot.:kiss:

I think the YouTuber comment is a bit sweeping ... Harry's Gararge .. High Peak Autos ..Mr JWW just a few that spring immediately to mind.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

I think the YouTuber comment is a bit sweeping ... Harry's Gararge .. High Peak Autos ..Mr JWW just a few that spring immediately to mind.

Harry's Garage is alright because he made his money from editor of EVO but Mr JWW IS JUST FULL OF HIMSELF, only able to buy nice cars due to the number of monthly subscriber's daft enough to support his supercar fantasy.

1 minute ago, shyVRS245 said:

Harry's Garage is alright because he made his money from editor of EVO but Mr JWW IS JUST FULL OF HIMSELF, only able to buy nice cars due to the number of monthly subscriber's daft enough to support his supercar fantasy.

I think Mr JWW comes from a very wealthy background. Doesn't strike me as been full of himself though just a petrolhead.

• Like 1

The car being a Ex Skoda management car might well mean an Ex demonstrator / employee perk  or even their relatives / courtesy car so 1st registered keeper VW finance and no idea how many drove it in the first 4,900 miles. Maybe even had a remap done by a dodgy borrower. Then now 2 previous keepers.  Beautiful car presented as in A1 condition.  Just goes to show buyers need to check history and ask sellers about a car they are interested in. And check you are OK getting a valid warranty, insurance and finance on the car you are placing deposits on.  The book prices do not mean anything.

Edited by e-Roottoot

3 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

I think Mr JWW comes from a very wealthy background. Doesn't strike me as been full of himself though just a petrolhead.

James Walker is currently worth $3 million thanks to his 548,000 subscribers which nets him $300,000 per annum.

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

James Walker is currently worth $3 million thanks to his 548,000 subscribers which nets him $300,000 per annum.

Well good for him I say I'm certainly subscribed and enjoy his content so I guess I must be daft.

Maybe he will start going down market a bit and swap some of the Supercars for smaller engined diesels ? ;)

Edited for lots of wrong words !!

Edited by Nick_H
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

Well good for him I say I'm certainty subscribed and enjoy his content so I guess I must be daft.

Maybe he will start going down marked a bit and swap some of the Supercars for smaller engined diesels ? ;)

I can imagine I'm driving a Lambo with my virtual dash until I notice the redline starts at 5,000rpm.........:tongueout:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

The car being a Ex Skoda management car might well mean an Ex demonstrator / employee perk  or even their relatives / courtesy car so 1st registered keeper VW finance and no idea how many drove it in the first 4,900 miles. Maybe even had a remap done by a dodgy borrower. Then now 2 previous keepers.  Beautiful car presented as in A1 condition.  Just goes to show buyers need to check history and ask sellers about a car they are interested in. And check you are OK getting a valid warranty, insurance and finance on the car you are placing deposits on.  The book prices do not mean anything.

A few years ago VAG management cars were registered on "K" plates & the press fleet cars on "O" plates. Any leased / daily rentals had "G" plates.

My Superb was 9 months / 5k miles with many interesting addresses (including the users home address) in the Sat. Nav. memory, & nothing to indicate it had been a demo car. 

Given that said user lived in a very expensive location in N.E. Cheshire I was quite happy to buy it.  

• Like 1

@old newbie2 So now no longer the case.

I know someone that bought a SEAT Approved used Seat Cupra and the turbo went, and he got the story about they knew it was used by him for track days and the brakes were upgraded etc.

It is just as well i was at a SEAT Launch @Knockhill and knew that the Motoring Journalists, Bloggers / Blaggers & invited guests like me were ragging them before sold on from the press fleet (Some Cars registered in Scotland and from Dealerships & he had bought one.

SEAT took the car back and gave him back his money.

A member from Briskoda bought this Ex Management red Skoda Fabia vRS not knowing its history.  Never raced or rallied, just through many hands and maybe just ragged from cold for 3 months / 3,000 miles.

I knew what it was as my car was one of the same batch first imported.  

Sadly he had to sell it for spares or repair as many had to do.

Some person is driving the Fabia Mk2 vRS that Jonny Smith broke 7 under 1,400 cc speed records (1,390cc) with on track and that blew out a tyre.

Never raced or rallied.

Run in with care and attention.

Both survive,

maybe not on the original engines, but then more than 20% of the under 3,000 first registered in the UK are not still running with the original engine.

If OEM Dunlop SportMaxx tyres used then tyre failure could be expected....

Screenshot 2020-10-15 at 12.02.18.png

Screenshot 2020-10-15 at 12.02.56.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

I've read a few cases of people having bought a secondhand car with a manufacturer backed warranty and later having the warranty cancelled when they had a valid claim. The reason being they had unwittingly bought a modified car from the dealer and the dealer had noticed the mod after the car came back, but not before they sold it. 

Personally I would never knowingly buy a modified car (not including OEM additions) unless it was a very unusual/special vehicle that modifying was important to the final result. I'm thinking of something like a Cobra replica that had been tweaked over the years. I don't believe that cars have the over engineering that was once prevalent, as we can engineer tighter tolerances and so save money on build and materials. Hence, simply adding power is more of a potential recipe for disaster than it has ever been, doubly so as turbo tweaks yield big torque gains very easily and cheaply. It's one of the reasons that a manufacturer doesn't just take a car and turn the wick up to 11 to be faster than a competitor's car and for no extra cost in the build. Instead, they beef up brakes, suspension, transmission etc all at extra cost, to them and you, when it would be the easier and incorrect way to simply turn up the boost.

• Like 1

There is a famous case with BMW featured a few years back in the old Automotive chat section.

Buyer has a BMW and BMW reject Warranty Claim as car was at Track Days.

BMW make a U-Turn when pointed out their new cars are shown at Track Days with Journalists & others bigging them up.

Sporting cars sold with sporting intensions.

Then the fact they sell off the Press Fleet.  Sell them with Warranty Voided according to them.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/342527-bmw-refuse-warranty-claim-after-trackday-ouch-update-claim-now-paid

Same thing with Audi RS3's of the last models and some Golf R's.

They were using oil, lots of oil, 

Vloggers and others invited to a nice location in the UK drove off with them with cold oil and then took them on long spirited drives and some even filled them up with 95 ron.

They were using really quite a lot of oil.   Not noticed at first by the Promotions / Launch people who were not VW Group employees.

(Maybe from some part of the Haymarket Media Group, owners of Autocar, WhatCar, Pistonheads etc.... who do work for the VW Group.)

The teams from the 'Company' doing the Launches had to start pre warming the cars for further launches, and Audi / VW had to address the issues and also some cars were exported from the UK and not put into trade.

PS

There are Youtube vids from Briskoda Member who had a Fabia Mk2 vRS that he kept having modified very badly.

He posted a Youtube when selling his G/F's car.

Then he appears with an Audi S3 and shows the mods on Youtube.

Then he appears with a BMW and a new Youtube name as his Leased Audi S3 has been 'taken back' by the Finance Company.

His story is the Nurburgring is a public road so he was not tracking it.  Fair enough, but then the mods were there to clearly see by the owners of the car, 

in full colour & stereo sound on youtube...

Clicking on makes him more money and more famous.....  The next 2 vids good for a laugh.

May 2020.

So 2016 

That is all of 4 years back in the real world, not a parallel universe.

& 2013 Mk2's were £15,000 plus new, and Skoda certainly were not responsible for fixing them, and the first ones were still going wrong anyway late 2012 and early 2013, software updates needed and some even got engines replaced.

Easy to forget which side the bonnet pull is at when you do so much mods on your own car....

(It is still a very low mile car now with 23,000 miles or so.)

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1