Living With A Sportline Plus 272 Hatch

4 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Well at my Grammar School I was always chosen to play for the Football, Cricket and Rugby teams (1,000 students from 14 to 18 years old) which made me popular with the Girls but unpopular with the Boys who seemed to be jealous of my sporting prowess and my other exploits.:tongueout:

Creative writing also seems to be a strong point too. 

• Haha 3

On 07/10/2020 at 19:04, Norco said:

I am a little confused. I have just hopped over from the Octavia forum since we will be swapping from a vRS to a Superb and I came across this 35 pager that seems to always dominate the top of the forum. Can anyone tell me if there is anything useful in it as the last few pages seems to be full of someones holiday pics and people obsessing about mpg in a 272ps car?

Thanks

The fuel consumption bumf is interesting, but with too much detail for us, we're happy to get 30+ mpg from our two 300ps cars but the ancient Superb is even cheaper to run....

I do keep a fuel purchasing record book, (qty, date & location) & have done so for the last 25 years, but it's really a diary, the different cars & when / where the places visited.  

As for usefulness, Shy's postings do indicate that a Mk. 3 4WD Superb is a decent car & a step up from a vRS,  (not very surprising ....) 't was my feeling too when I swapped a Mk2 Octy vRS for a Mk. 2 Superb.

I'd could live with a Mk 3 Superb, (my preference would be an Arteon) but they're both too big for my garage .

• Like 1

Bit of recent Skoda history from our purchasing thoughts. Last 3 diesels were 2013 Fabia Monte Carlo 1.6TDi with 105bhp, 2014 Superb Mk2 Elegance with 138bhp (facelift) and finally 2015 Octavia DSG Vrs TDi with 181bhp. Decided in April 2015 to go petrol with both cars before the changes to VED were announced from April 2017 as the diesels used to be either £20 or £30 per year to tax thanks to Gordon Brown. So wife had a Rapid 1.2TSi SE Sport with the Pano Roof for nearly 3 years and 28,600 reliable miles with a best of 64mpg. Then I bought myself a Mk3 Superb 1.4TSi SE manual with a few options (sat nav, canton, privacy glass) which I kept for just 16 months and 16,000 reliable miles which was economical but boring to drive (bit like a large taxi) and a best of 64mpg also. Then August 2017 went for a new Octavia Vrs245 which eventually went from stage 1 to stage 2 and averaged 40.6mpg over 29,000 reliable miles including 2 track days. January 2018 saw the Rapid replaced by the new to the UK Karoq 1.5TSi manual SEL which the wife still drives and a couple of issues have been sorted under warranty (key fobs and ECU software update) and has a best of 66mpg despite the poor aero and 148bhp and it has now reached 27,600 miles (with only 1 service so far). Last December traded in the 245 for the Superb 2019 Superb 272 Sportline Plus (which like the Karoq is only £150 per year road tax) with DSG 7 speed and 4WD which has gone from 4,901 miles to its current 14,100 miles. So in summary since April 2015 we have covered 110,000 miles in petrol cars which have averaged over 40mpg which is excellent IMHO.

16 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Well at my Grammar School I was always chosen to play for the Football, Cricket and Rugby teams (1,000 students from 14 to 18 years old) which made me popular with the Girls but unpopular with the Boys who seemed to be jealous of my sporting prowess and my other exploits.:tongueout:

Congratulations you've just made my ignore list... In fact you're the only one

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, facet edge said:

Congratulations you've just made my ignore list... In fact you're the only one

Thanks might be time to upgrade to a bigger and better engine now.......I won't tell anyone about the inferiority thing honest.:whew:

Jumped in the Karoq for my 2nd night shift tonight and wife had been in a hurry to get back from a home visit and had a zoom meeting with her team so asked me to unload the shopping from the boot and I noticed she managed a rally stage type average of 22.5mpg but we all know women are better drivers than us blokes because they use more fuel. Managed a 54.1mpg on the commute by comparison.:kiss:

Not sure some Skoda dealers dream up their prices but if anyone is interested in a low mileage Superb Sportline Estate in Dragon Green (it's gold yellow) registered in April 2017 with 19,800 miles with the exhaust flaps, no GPF up the exhaust and the 6 speed DSG and 280 engine then be prepared to start haggling the price down from £23,990 with Lister's Coventry.

• Like 1

For those that have been bored by reading the previous 37 pages there is good news to share with the announcement that the 272 will be traded in this Saturday to Marshall's Skoda Leicester if anyone is in the market for a 360bhp 4WD Sportline Plus. It will have just under 14,300 miles on the clock has been driven extremely slowly (most of the time) and comes with a spare wheel, Blind spot monitors in the mirrors and the road tax is now £150 per year as it was £39,000 when new back in March 2019. It will be fitted with the Audi RS6 replica alloys shod with Michelin Pilot Sport tyres which are excellent on wet or dry roads and I painted the silver factory brake calipers in Skoda metallic Rallye Green. The first service is due in 3 months or 3,000 miles time but if you take out Skoda finance at the moment there is an offer that the first 2 services cost just £79.

I have realised I must enjoy driving economically more than driving quickly so can't quite believe what I'm about to type but yes I'm buying a DIESEL again with the ADBLUE as well to top up. It emits just 101gm/km unlike the 161gm/km of the 272 but road tax will be the same at £150 per year. The car is direct from Skoda UK Management fleet again and is going to be ceramic coated for FREE by the dealer is in Energy Blue (the FREE colour) with the 18" Zenith alloys (another FREE choice) has less than 6,300 miles recorded and being an SEL has Black leather interior and electric tailgate plus 3 options I can see being CANTON sound system upgrade, Virtual Dash and full spare wheel (205 tyre rather than the skinny 125 type). It has the 7 speed DSG box and the 150PS engine which if I find is not enough to move the 1,500kg kerbweight a remap will take it to 185+bhp but with 360nm as standard it should make the commute very economical with a 72mpg combined figure and a possible 1,045 mile tank range (that sounds like a shy type challenge).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

For those that have been bored by reading the previous 37 pages there is good news to share with the announcement that the 272 will be traded in this Saturday to Marshall's Skoda Leicester if anyone is in the market for a 360bhp 4WD Sportline Plus. It will have just under 14,300 miles on the clock has been driven extremely slowly (most of the time) and comes with a spare wheel, Blind spot monitors in the mirrors and the road tax is now £150 per year as it was £39,000 when new back in March 2019. It will be fitted with the Audi RS6 replica alloys shod with Michelin Pilot Sport tyres which are excellent on wet or dry roads and I painted the silver factory brake calipers in Skoda metallic Rallye Green. The first service is due in 3 months or 3,000 miles time but if you take out Skoda finance at the moment there is an offer that the first 2 services cost just £79.

I have realised I must enjoy driving economically more than driving quickly so can't quite believe what I'm about to type but yes I'm buying a DIESEL again with the ADBLUE as well to top up. It emits just 101gm/km unlike the 161gm/km of the 272 but road tax will be the same at £150 per year. The car is direct from Skoda UK Management fleet again and is going to be ceramic coated for FREE by the dealer is in Energy Blue (the FREE colour) with the 18" Zenith alloys (another FREE choice) has less than 6,300 miles recorded and being an SEL has Black leather interior and electric tailgate plus 3 options I can see being CANTON sound system upgrade, Virtual Dash and full spare wheel (205 tyre rather than the skinny 125 type). It has the 7 speed DSG box and the 150PS engine which if I find is not enough to move the 1,500kg kerbweight a remap will take it to 185+bhp but with 360nm as standard it should make the commute very economical with a 72mpg combined figure and a possible 1,045 mile tank range (that sounds like a shy type challenge).

What do you anticipate the fuel savings will be? Using your annual mileage (9K , from a previous post), your own actual & estimated mpg's & today's average petrol (£1.14) & diesel (£1.18) you would save about £500 p/a. Deduct the cost of the AdBlue & the cost to change cars, is there a real saving to be had?

15 hours ago, old newbie2 said:

What do you anticipate the fuel savings will be? Using your annual mileage (9K , from a previous post), your own actual & estimated mpg's & today's average petrol (£1.14) & diesel (£1.18) you would save about £500 p/a. Deduct the cost of the AdBlue & the cost to change cars, is there a real saving to be had?

Not changing to save money more like my clean licence. But finance and fuel should be £100 per month better off. TBH fed up looking at a dirty black car which only looks worse with next door's cat paw prints all over it.

Edited by shyVRS245
wrong word

5 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Do you think it's the auto box that's slowed you down? Not literally, I mean psychologically. I find I drive a lot slower in my automatic than I did my previous manual.

I can't decide if it's down to not feeling the need to accelerate up through the gears to my "normal" gear I drive around in, or it's me not wanting to spoil that nice green economy bar scrolling across the display.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new car. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ooohhhh.... Well that’s a surprise ! You didn’t keep that long ! I’m just coming up on 5 years with not even the slightest interest in changing.

Mind you my car does have exhaust flaps....... 

Guess we can put this thread to bed now then ?

See you soon in my rear view mirror ! :giggle:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

TBH fed up looking at a dirty black car which only looks worse with next door's cat paw prints all over it.

Could this be the same neighbour that you had the court case escapade with and their cat’s getting some retribution on their behalf? I doubt that changing your car will confuse it too much though! :o

@shyVRS245 I am surprised.  When you said trade in, I immediately thought you were going for yet more power or even taking the electric option.......

Diesel is surely a retrograde step.  If economy is more important than anything, a fully electric car has to be the shout if you can commute with it?

Then use the Karoq for longer trips as necessary. 

You would also have the win/win of serious acceleration on tap with 100% torque immediately available.  

Given the increasing amount of congestion, speedcams and citizen dashcam police Shy sensibly treasures his licence and no doubt a hyper-miling thread is about to be born... black cars are also a right pain to keep looking clean

• Like 1

A new thread from some person would be interesting titled.

'I live with a person that lived with a Sportline Plus 272 hatch but kept  taking my car'.

@shyVRS245

I assume that a Skoda Dealership will not sell your car as a Skoda Approved Used car unless the ECU is being put to Factory Settings.

That is if they are aware the car is tuned when taking it as a trade in.

Whoever buys it if it is left with the Remap on could find they have an issue if insured without the declared mod and in an accident where the ECU gets checked.

That has happened over the years where people buy new cars and are unaware of mods / tuning.

They have to just say the car is as i bought it from a seller and i was never told it was not standard as it left the factory.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Oh dear - does that mean another 35 pages?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

@shyVRS245 I am surprised.  When you said trade in, I immediately thought you were going for yet more power or even taking the electric option.......

Diesel is surely a retrograde step.  If economy is more important than anything, a fully electric car has to be the shout if you can commute with it?

Then use the Karoq for longer trips as necessary. 

You would also have the win/win of serious acceleration on tap with 100% torque immediately available.  

I don't want a £30,000 EV with a range of 200 miles and the hassle of stopping for 30 minutes to charge it. Been going through a 3 year mid-life crisis which others are still going through but they haven't woken up to smell the roses yet. Driving the 150PS Karoq made me realise this is enough power on a daily basis and anymore is simply not necessary.