Brightest bulb for reverse light? And how many rear fog lights should there be?

Hi all

Noticed the other day that only one reverse light is working and so am looking at what spec bulb I need for replacement.  But that got me to thinking...  We live in the sticks and sometimes I have to reverse around half a mile if I meet another car in a bad spot.  So the brighter the better to help in those situations!  But wasn't sure if there's only one type of bulb and one wattage.  If anyone can confirm what I need and options for brighter that would be most helpful thanks.  

Whilst checking my other lights I saw that there is a single rear fog light and I wasn't sure whether there should be two or not?  Can anyone confirm please?

Many thanks

2 hours ago, Hawthorn654 said:

one reverse light is working

Only one is fitted, on the LHS. Relatively few (if any) people would object to you using the rear fog light in this circumstance though.

Legally, the most you can have is 1 or 2 by 21w reversing light bulbs.

I have heard of people fitting brighter LED bulbs to reversing lights. Not tried that myself so not sure if its much more effective. 

You might even be able to "Play around" with the aperture and the bulb holder and then fit a better bulb. This might render it illegal, though so if it shines a beam like a headlight, don't be surprised to be followed home by flashing blue lights!

Edited by mrgf

Thanks for all the quick and helpful responses.  

Rear fog light - Good to hear all is at is should be with that....  And good thinking RE turning it on when reversing for extra lighting.  Perhaps the hazards too.

Reverse light - I like the idea of the spot lamp!  But perhaps a tad overkill. Plus the car is nearing it end of life I would imagine, so I don't think it would be worth the time and money .  Best to stay on the right side of the law if it wouldn't be road legal too :)  

As for the standard reverse light bulb - does anyone know what I need please?  In the meantime I'll have a read up on legal LED versions.

Ta

Not at all.  Perhaps I misread the previous posts and sorry if I did.  I thought they were saying that if you put in anything with more watts than a standard bulb it would not be legal.  But yes, maybe I had the wrong end of the stick.  

So in terms of the normal bulb what do I need please?

32 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Fitting a spotlight for reversing is not illegal, rally cars have to be road legal and pass the MOT as well, who told you it was illegal? Do you honestly imagine I would have suggested it if it were?

If you read the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations legislation which also refers to ECE48 regulations, I think you will find it difficult to fit a spotlight for use as a reversing light which isn't illegal.

For current MOT purposes, It has to be switched by engaging reverse gear only and must work, and have an approval mark that complies with the above regulations for reversing lights. You cannot have more than two reversing lights. All Major catagories

ECE Regulations afaik stipulate the permitted positions of the lamp(s) and geometric visibility, colour and intensity.

2 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Hawthorn654: only one reverse light is working

Only one is fitted, on the LHS. Relatively few (if any) people would object to you using the rear fog light in this circumstance though.

Legally, the most you can have is 1 or 2 by 21w reversing light bulbs.

Two reversing lights are fitted.

Edited by TMB

1 hour ago, sepulchrave said:

rally cars have to be road legal and pass the MOT as well, who told you it was illegal?

I'm not sure if I can find it now, but there certainly was a statement in the Motor Vehicle (Lighting) regulations that no rear-facing light shall have a bulb over 21W.

The MOT is about Reversing Lights.   Work Lights as fitted to the rear of vehicles or the front, spot and search lights as used on Vans and Land Rovers and on a switch are Auxiliary lights and are not tested. 

These should not be used to dazzle or annoy other road users.

Like when me and mates had a spot light on the rear of our 'never raced or rallied' cars that was there to tell the loser of the getting a move on 'ta ra'.

41 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

That lets out the Fabia then, still let's keep the argument going, no doubt the OP is feeling suitably enlightened by all these contributions.

4 minutes ago, Vfr400boy said:

Iv put some cheep LED bulbs in my reverse lights and the difference is amazing only £2 off Ebay but would recommend 

Well yes., it is all very enlightening and entertaining :)  I'm enjoying it, but still don't know what bulb I need to get!  So if anyone could help with that. 

@Vfr400boy  - was that into a Fabia Mk1?  Do you have a link by any chance please?  

Cheers all

10 minutes ago, Hawthorn654 said:

Well yes., it is all very enlightening and entertaining :)  I'm enjoying it, but still don't know what bulb I need to get!  So if anyone could help with that. 

@Vfr400boy  - was that into a Fabia Mk1?  Do you have a link by any chance please?  

Cheers all

12V 21W, the same as the brake lights and the fog lights