The Coronavirus (COVID-19) Topic.

@Lee

On 20/03/2020 at 23:53, skomaz said:

Looks like a few people on here doing the same as me - sorting broadband and Skype etc. For elderly parents...   in my case my 82yr old mum.  I think she'll manage Skype if I get the tablet all set up before I give it to her but it'll be getting the router up and tunning that might be more of an issue...

So how did others get on?

In my case I ended up buy I g her a new 4g phone on a network that actually has coverage at her house, loading it up with data and setting it up for her.  She's now starting to get used to it and has managed to use whatsapp messaging and video calls.

I also got her a tablet and have broadband ordered to kick in from early April provided the posties are still working and can deliver the route.  Hopefully I can talk her through plugging it all in when the time comes but into may need to find an excuse to go round for 10 minutes and do it whilst she stays in another room...

• Like 1

I've worked out a schedule for free movie and tv subscriptions. I am using the 7 day free on BFI movies for the next week. Some brilliant stuff on it. There are one or two subscriptions that are 99p a month for the first 3 months, so I'm adding those to the list too. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

I've worked out a schedule for free movie and tv subscriptions. I am using the 7 day free on BFI movies for the next week. Some brilliant stuff on it. There are one or two subscriptions that are 99p a month for the first 3 months, so I'm adding those to the list too. 

I will avoid too much TV in the evenings. I have my collection of vinyl records to transfer to MP3, Loads of transparencies to scan to jpeg. Holiday videos to edit etc. Depending how long this goes on for I might rebuild my lathe and see if I can get hold of a small CNC milling machine. The Irony of it all is I had a machine build in Belfast next week and this morning a customer the other side of Cork called to ask me when can I come over to move some machinery.   

Just now, moley said:

I will avoid too much TV in the evenings. I have my collection of vinyl records to transfer to MP3, Loads of transparencies to scan to jpeg. Holiday videos to edit etc. Depending how long this goes on for I might rebuild my lathe and see if I can get hold of a small CNC milling machine. The Irony of it all is I had a machine build in Belfast next week and this morning a customer the other side of Cork called to ask me when can I come over to move some machinery.   

Is moving machinery considered to be exercise? 

2 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

Is moving machinery considered to be exercise? 

To a degree, although I tend to use skates, forklifts and cranes.

The UK:

"Those who really wont listen to encouragement and resist all attempts at persuasion could be fined" (not that we have introduced any new fines or laws)

FRANCE:

Step out of your house again without the correct signed & dated form for a permitted reason, spend more than 1 hour a day outside exercising, or more than once a day or with your wife or more than 1km from your home, or without the form on your person, do any of these things again and it wont be a €135 fine like today, it will cost you €3750 and you will go to prison for 3 months.

One of the above has reversed the increase of the virus after only 4 days of confinement, thats the reward or what awaits you in the naughty corner for non compliance.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Force Majeure declared by companies due to C19.

Force Majeure translates from French as "Superior Force" but is more commonly known in Anglo-Saxon terminology as "Act of God".

Many commercial contract have Force Majeure clauses and I am hearing companies are invoking this in "the light" of C19.

Might be worth checking any contract relevant to you whether it has this clause.

12 hours ago, Defenderben said:

Now on lockdown and totally confused.

1. Can go food shopping - infrequently 

2. Collect medical supplies

3. Can go to and from work if you can’t work from home - Didn’t say only essential workers...Mobile engineer working on security systems/fire alarms etc so can I go to work or not?

item 3 is confusing me

Not sure if you’ve seen it or not, but the .GOV website now has a list of those that they consider essential to be open. My boss brought it up to show us that we are to keep working, whilst we still have customers  (I work in a garage)

Although my place of work will remain open I’ve taken the decision to stop working now as I’m a vulnerable person due to a weakened immune system. 

Bring on the boredom 😕

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Defenderben said:

My boss has said there is no lockdown and to attend work as normal?

We had 2 Air Con servicing engineers onsite yesterday and they were planning to return today to finish the work. They spray anti-bacteria stuff into the air con units.

Shocking news coming from Spain where Army personnel are now checking Retirement homes as some staff have abandoned the elderly residents leading to dead bodies being found as well as those still alive. Ice rink also hired to store dead bodies. Big spike in Germany in the last 24 hours with nearly 5,000 new cases.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Force Majeure declared by companies due to C19.

Force Majeure translates from French as "Superior Force" but is more commonly known in Anglo-Saxon terminology as "Act of God".

Many commercial contract have Force Majeure clauses and I am hearing companies are invoking this in "the light" of C19.

Might be worth checking any contract relevant to you whether it has this clause.

For anyone contracting directly with government bodies, this is worth a read. (Won't come out as a hyperlink for me, so copy and paste into you browser to read it).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/procurement-policy-note-0220-supplier-relief-due-to-covid-19

In essence, govt departments are being told clearly not to use reduced ability to deliver services as a reason to stop paying suppliers and to do everything possible to make sure the supply-chain gets paid, subject to the suppliers who are struggling to maintain services agreeing to show that they haven't tried to game the system (eg they are still paying their staff, have not inflated any extra costs incurred in service provision etc). This applies to the end of June and will be reviewed in mid-June.

Helpful and reasonable approach I think :thumbup:.

4 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

WHY NOT?!

Just had an email from Government.

Points to www.gov.uk/coronavirus 

This is part of the site https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f94c3c90da5b4e9f9a0b19484dd4bb14

Not much new on here.

5 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Big spike in Germany in the last 24 hours with nearly 5,000 new cases.

FAKE NEWS!
New cases =504 Rate of doubling appears to be slowing down. Robert Koch Institute will know more on that by tomorrow IIRC. (more data)

11 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

FAKE NEWS!
New cases =504 Rate of doubling appears to be slowing down. Robert Koch Institute will know more on that by tomorrow IIRC. (more data)

Reuters https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany/german-coronavirus-cases-rise-by-4764-cases-to-27436-robert-koch-institute-idUSKBN21B0L1 

Intensive efforts with testing will give a far more honest figure than not bothering. Germany is to be commended for taking a good hard look at countries like S Korea.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, essexalan said:

Reuters https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany/german-coronavirus-cases-rise-by-4764-cases-to-27436-robert-koch-institute-idUSKBN21B0L1 

Intensive efforts with testing will give a far more honest figure than not bothering. Germany is to be commended for taking a good hard look at countries like S Korea.

SWMBO just told me she thought I was asking about our state :D 
Also just been told that some cases in Germany have been counted twice; some discrepancy over where the person worked or where they lived and which area counts the case.

7 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

SWMBO just told me she thought I was asking about our state :D 
Also just been told that some cases in Germany have been counted twice; some discrepancy over where the person worked or where they lived and which area counts the case.

Far better to overestimate and isolate than not to carry out any test until you are carted off to hospital. Dread to think how many infected persons are carrying on as normal in the UK. 

Low death rate in Germany should also serve as a model because they are doing something right

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

Big spike in Germany in the last 24 hours with nearly 5,000 new cases.

Worse than false news that is complete and utter disinformation.

Germany is by far the most succesfull EU country in winning the battle against the virus and reversing the spread, maybe because they were the quickest off the mark as France by following their lead is also winning.

The truth about your so called "big spike" of 5000 new cases yesterday

NUMBER OF NEW CASES IN GERMANY

20th March - 5940

21st March - 4185

22nd March - 3276

23rd March - 3311

Remember that as the testing regime gets better the number of reported cases will increase.

Source - https://www.francetvinfo.fr/sante/maladie/coronavirus/infographies-coronavirus-cas-confirmes-mortalite-localisation-visualisez-l-evolution-de-l-epidemie-en-france-et-en-europe_3873055.html

Edited by J.R.
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Worse than false news that is complete and utter disinformation.

Germany is by far the most succesfull EU country in winning the battle against the virus and reversing the spread, maybe because they were the quickest off the mark as France by following their lead is also winning.

The truth about your so called "big spike" of 5000 new cases yesterday

NUMBER OF NEW CASES IN GERMANY

20th March - 5940

21st March - 4185

22nd March - 3276

23rd March - 3311

Remember that as the testing regime gets better the number of reported cases will increase.

Source - https://www.francetvinfo.fr/sante/maladie/coronavirus/infographies-coronavirus-cas-confirmes-mortalite-localisation-visualisez-l-evolution-de-l-epidemie-en-france-et-en-europe_3873055.html

Robert Koch Institute say March 23rd 4,764 cases with 114 dead in Germany with over 27,000 cases. Since then latest figures are over 30,000 cases with 130 dead. Two days ago there was 86 deaths reported in Germany so they are about to see a sharp rise as other countries have.

Spain really struggling with almost 40,000 cases and 2,700 deaths but more alarmingly 14% of deaths have been Health workers due to a lack of PPE. Italy more than 63,000 cases and over 6,000 deaths. WHO confirmed an extra 46,000 cases worldwide in the last 24 hours and 85% of new cases are in Europe and USA.