The Coronavirus (COVID-19) Topic.

@Lee

Not sure if there's something in the linked article that answers my question Lee, but I was meaning are they (the recovered ones) seeming to have resistance to reinfection of themselves, i.e. showing immunity.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wino said:

Not sure if there's something in the linked article that answers my question Lee, but I was meaning are they (the recovered ones) seeming to have resistance to reinfection of themselves, i.e. showing immunity.

I've been trying to find something conclusive but either I' not looking in the right places or the jury's still out but there appear to have been cases of reinfection.
Trying to be mindful of any source I link to.

I'm getting a bit annoyed by the media coverage of this crisis and the reporting of the press UK Gov press conferences. I've sat and watched these now for a couple of weeks. I am wondering why the media send their political correspondents to ask questions as they plainly don't understand or just don't listen, judging by the amount of stupid questions they ask. 

• Like 4

Really? I see lots of questions being avoided, waffle spoken, the constant use of the terms 'unprecedented' and 'ramp up'.
Hugh Pym asked about why there's not enough testing for NHS workers and the health chief (I forget who it is this week) just waffled on about how testing is important. Yeah, we KNOW that. 
You'd get a better response if Larry the Cat gave the pressers.

47 minutes ago, Wino said:

There must be healthcare workers who've had it, recovered, served their isolation time and gone back to work?

Are they seeming to be resistant to re-infection, do you happen to know @Squible?

I think it's still too early to tell and unsure if we will be able to know a couple of weeks down the line just by looking at healthcare staff.

Hospitals have only really started seeing a rise in COVID-19 patients in the past 1-2 weeks around the region I work in.

I do have several colleagues who have had to self isolate and have come back, however, due to the national testing policy, they have not had tests to confirm if they had COVID-19.

Their symptoms could be explained by COVID, could also have been a different virus/illness. If they develop symptoms in the future, it could be COVID, it could be something else. If they don't develop symptoms in the future - is it because they are immune? Or is it because their use of PPE has protected them?

Until we get more testing ability for the active virus and antibody tests to show if you have been exposed to the virus it is going to be difficult to answer that question.
Good news is that I've heard antibody tests are being rolled out in some hospitals this week.

There was a study that used Macaque monkeys that suggested monkeys that had recovered from the virus and developed antibodies could not be reinfected - at least in the short term.

30 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Yes, here have been some interesting reports on viral shedding like you have shared! 

There are also reports that dead bodies can have very high viral loads - which makes after life care and burial etc. more difficult.

Sorry I didn't mention this in my previous reply. As you have said, resolution of symptoms doesn't necessarily mean you don't still have the virus in your system. The government basis for 7 days isolation after starting symptoms is because they think  viral transmission risk drops significantly by this time. I haven't looked at this data myself but I'm sure it has been approved by many far more competent than I. 

20 minutes ago, Wino said:

It may be that it's being kept under wraps within the medical community until they're sure one way or the other.

I think this applies to a lot of things about the virus, we simply don't know for certain. It's a new virus and we still don't know a lot of things about it. There has been a lot of research that has shed some information but we don't have the quality or quantity of information that we do for other diseases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Really? I see lots of questions being avoided, waffle spoken, the constant use of the terms 'unprecedented' and 'ramp up'.
Hugh Pym asked about why there's not enough testing for NHS workers and the health chief (I forget who it is this week) just waffled on about how testing is important. Yeah, we KNOW that. 
You'd get a better response if Larry the Cat gave the pressers.

Gove did give an answer to be fair, he said we don't have enough reagents to conduct the tests.

What they didn't state was what was being done to get more reagents and when we could expect to have more supply.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Squible said:

Gove did give an answer to be fair, he said we don't have enough reagents to conduct the tests.

What they didn't state was what was being done to get more reagents and when we could expect to have more supply.

Yeah, SWMBO received another email from The Dean of the Uni she works at. Basically she was being asked what reagents they have in stock in her lab.
Apart from the reagents (which don't have a long shelf-life) she was also being asked what bio-hazard disposal items they have and how many.
This doesn't fill me with confidence I'm sorry to say.

EDIT. The email wasn't to her specifically; it was to all Dept Heads and Profs

• Sad 1

Michael Gove MP and others are rightly proud that they have the Nightingale Hospital set up in 2 weeks.

The Nightingale is ready to go maybe.  Great, but so far has not had a single coronavirus case treated yet, 

so stop the waffle about this while front line staff in hospitals with cases are lacking PPE.

Stop saying that there is plenty but there are delivery issues.  Get those sorted properly today, tomorrow and every day.

• Thanks 1

Hungary have a website that has the number that died from coronavirus.

They list the Age, gender and underlying health conditions.  Even the likes of 'chronic pancreatitis and alcohol-related liver disease'.

http://bbj.hu/coronavirus/hungary-to-release-broader-data-range-for-covis=d-19-deaths_180657

Unlikely anyone in Hungary will question the official data or numbers......

• Like 1

Chemical Industries Association, Kings Building, Smith Square, just across the square from Mr Gove at Conservative Central Office would not know a reagent from a secret agent, it sounded & looked good to namedrop the CIA as a client though :D

• Like 1

As demand for COVID-19 tests continues to rise in Ontario and across North America, some laboratories are facing looming shortages of chemicals vital for the detection of the virus, forcing health systems to prioritize testing for those who need it most.

https://www.toronto.com/news-story/9915782-testing-labs-wrestle-with-global-shortage-of-crucial-chemicals/

In particular, one key product, made by the diagnostics testing giant Qiagen, is in dwindling supply. The chemical is used to isolate the virus’ genetic material, or RNA, so that it can be tested.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/10/shortage-crucial-chemicals-us-coronavirus-testing/

WA has tightened the testing criteria for Western Australians who suspect they may have COVID-19. This is due to a global shortage of the chemical reagent required for laboratory testing and follows deliberations at the Council of Australian Governments meeting today.

https://ww2.health.wa.gov.au/Media-releases/2020/COVID19-Testing-tightened-amid-chemical-shortage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee01 said:

I'm not saying the Government is incompetent but the MoD banned Zoom and the meeting ID is visible in the top left.

The MoD say otherwise according to the BBC...   read down a few paragraphs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52033217

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, skomaz said:

The MoD say otherwise according to the BBC...   read down a few paragraphs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52033217

I was going by the Sky report linked in my post. 
It still doesn't alter the fact that the meeting ID tag is visible and that Zoombombing is a thing. 

12 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

It still doesn't alter the fact that the meeting ID tag is visible and that Zoombombing is a thing. 

Looks like you need the password as well to get in

Johnson (and Her Majesty’s Government’s IT staff) used two-factor authentication: while they publicly shared the PMI, they apparently at least secured it with a password, which can be configured in a number of different ways.

17 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

I was going by the Sky report linked in my post. 

But you stated the MoD had banned zoom...   that was the point you made and it was untrue.

As for the tag- yes but as far as i know each meeting has a separate tag and the picture wasnt posted until after the meeting had taken place...   so that wasnt an issue, and if Moleys comment above re MFA is correct it wouldnt have mattered much anyway??

As for Zoombombing...  so what if precautions are taken?

• Like 1

Like I said, I was going by the Sky News article which I linked at the beginning of my post on the matter. It's in green font so you may have missed it.

High-level government talks on Britain's coronavirus response were held on a videoconference service that Ministry of Defence staff were banned from using just days earlier over security fears.<
>

But it has emerged the Ministry of Defence (MoD) ordered all workers in the department to immediately stop using Zoom while "security implications" were investigated.

An email sent to staff also told them to be "cautious about cyber resilience" in "these exceptional times".

https://news.sky.com/story/coronairus-cabinet-talks-held-on-zoom-days-after-software-was-banned-by-ministry-of-defence-11963889

In line with your own request and that of Colin from yesterday evening, that's all I'll say on the matter. 

• Administrators

Use zoom daily for the last three years.

zoombombing as such was a thing last year. Then various updates and of course privacy options exist to configure.

just keep rotating your meeting Id, with the right options. Trust it more than Skype.

use signal instead of hangouts. Run your own vpn. The list is endless :)

• Like 2

Not sure anyone has mentioned Life Expectancy at Birth figures collated by the European Union between 1960 and 2017. For someone born in 1960 the average age across the EU is 69 years and someone born in 2017 can expect to live until they are 81. As people are living longer they are more at risk from Covid-19. The latest figures from 2017 indicate why certain countries may struggle due to their higher life expectancy.

Austria 82, France 83, Germany 81, Ireland 82, Italy 83, Spain 83, UK 81.:mmm:

Interesting vid from a Czech workmate.  I haven't checked the assertion that it really is working over there, but it makes sense really, I guess?

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/03/31/watch-video-the-czech-republic-are-managing-to-slow-down-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus-here-is-how/

• Like 1