The Coronavirus (COVID-19) Topic.

@Lee

48 minutes ago, xman said:

Are you saying the world has gone into lockdown for nothing?

No, just perspective.   As I said the real figures have yet to come out of the ONS, Tuesday will may be an eye opener.

Good to see Italy and Spain leveling off/peaking maybe, what happens in the US and then India will probably give a big insight and is the incredible measure of  control and success of Far East countries impressive or not quite as good as first appears if the numbers are doubted.

UK locked down too late, UK government let Cheltenham racing go ahead as well as the massive issue of lack of protective equipment translating in to more infections and deaths. 

26 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

No, just perspective.   As I said the real figures have yet to come out of the ONS, Tuesday will may be an eye opener.

Good to see Italy and Spain leveling off/peaking maybe, what happens in the US and then India will probably give a big insight and is the incredible measure of  control and success of Far East countries impressive or not quite as good as first appears if the numbers are doubted.

UK locked down too late, UK government let Cheltenham racing go ahead as well as the massive issue of lack of protective equipment translating in to more infections and deaths. 

So the Labour Party decided to say I told you,  you should have done this or that.

So Mr Expert...

When was the perfect time? How do you balance the damage to mental health from extended isolation. Damage to people’s lives from lost jobs and other problems. Damage to people’s health from lack of sun, exercise etc.

I’m sure Sir Kier, with all his private wealth and special pensions won’t be affected.

I suppose champagne supplies to London might be affected 😂

Londoners are absolutely not breaking the rules to go to Brighton and the parks are they?

Honestly stop looking at things with hindsight and blaming everyone for not doing x, y or z.

When you’re the opposition it’s easy to say things, because you never have to be responsible.

Edit...

actually I better add I do agree with you on Cheltenham and other large gatherings, but it’s far too easy for everyone to criticise. The whole world is guessing... we should remember that.

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Good to see Italy and Spain leveling off/peaking maybe,

Hopefully the last couple of days are the start of a downward trend. Fingers crossed. But judging from the last couple of weeks, weekend figures can look good at the time due to delays in reporting, with spikes moved to the following days.

I also suspect daily death figures can level off simply due to saturation of the medical systems. Max no of deaths that the hospitals had ITU beds for. France has shown that significant undocumented Covid-19 related deaths are happening elsewhere, e.g. in care homes

Not sure if any country bothers testing after death occurred, particularly if not in the hospital system.

Then there is the issue of whether trends are controlled due to lockdown and whether secondary or more waves are likely if lockdown is relaxed.

So many variables. Record keeping and post mortems are probably low priority.

2 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Facts is facts, usually we only have some of the facts and a fuller picture only emerges long after the event.

The ONS have the UK government responsibility for giving us the facts. 

Death so far this year in the UK have been less than an average year, at least up to March 21st where there had been a hundred ,or so, C19 deaths.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending20march2020#deaths-by-region

New stats out on Tuesday which will give a more complete and up to date picture.  

1.Main points

• The provisional number of deaths registered in England and Wales in the week ending 20 March 2020 (week 12) was 10,645; this represents a decrease of 374 deaths registered compared with the previous week (week 11).

• The average number of deaths for the corresponding week over the previous five years was 10,573; this means that the overall number of deaths in week 12 of 2020 was slightly higher than previous years.

• Of the deaths registered in week 12, 103 mentioned novel coronavirus (COVID-19), which is 1.0% of all deaths.

• This is lower than the figures reported by the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) as it takes time for deaths to be reported.

• If we analyse the data by date of death and look at registrations after 20 March, then 181 deaths involving COVID-19 occurred in week 12, which is higher than the figures the DHSC publish as it includes deaths related to COVID-19 that took place outside of hospitals and those not tested for COVID-19.

• This number is different from the count of deaths published on the GOV.UK website because of different reporting methods and timing: Office for National Statistics (ONS) weekly deaths figures are based on deaths registered in the stated week, and we have counted all deaths where COVID-19 was mentioned on the death certificate as “deaths involving COVID-19”; the GOV.UK figures are based on deaths occurring to date, among hospital patients who have tested positive for COVID-19, and include deaths that have not yet been registered.

• A total of 138,913 deaths were registered in England and Wales between 28 December 2019 and 20 March 2020 (year to date), and of these, 108 involved COVID-19 (0.1%); including deaths that occurred up to 20 March but were registered up to 25 March, the number involving COVID-19 was 210.

Does ANY of the above matter...   Really?...   NO ...   People are dying and people are dying of Covid-19...   That's all that REALLY matters and all that we should care about...   or the deaths of people from this virus.

Anything else is simply trying to score points.

1 hour ago, Lee01 said:

Lockdown? Mixed messages less than two hours apart.

92205787_10163441167565541_7009117766414237696_n.jpg

91984366_10163441167880541_7077797553357455360_n.jpg

Oh stop being an arse Lee...   You know full well why there have been two messages this weekend...   To try and stop the idiots spreading the virus further.

So stop trying to spin things to suit your points.

• Like 3

Yes. Wouldn't wish the worst on him, regardless of his politics (re Gadgetman's post)

It's worrying that his pregnant partner is experiencing C-19 symptoms now

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 2

Guest BigJase88

Hope he will be okay 🤕

i do admire how he has tackled this Pandemic and i believe he is the best man for the job.

get well soon Boris 🤞

Last reported idea about DC is that he's got symptoms and is self isolating. It might be ( and this is not any attempt at sarcastic humour or any other item ) that it's a simple way to shut him up/

32 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Has anyone seen or heard anything of Dominic Cummings? 

Or the Home Secretary Priti Patel. Shouldn't she, as Home Sec, be more front and centre?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Oh stop being an arse Lee...   You know full well why there have been two messages this weekend...   To try and stop the idiots spreading the virus further.

So stop trying to spin things to suit your points.

I'm not spinning anything. 
Tweet 1.  Go out to the park alone or with family.
Tweet 2 (One hour 52 mins later) DON'T go to the park as it could put lives at risk. Stay Home.
How the absolute fluff is that NOT mixed messaging?
Please explain if you can. 

Don't be angry at me. Not over this. Be angry at those in charge who've done everything contrary to WHO guidance and advice because plucky little Britain knows best and thinks their way is better than everyone elses.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, xman said:

Meanwhile, on a different planet, far, far away

Everything that's wrong with *some* of these overpaid prima donnas yet it's fine to furlough the grounds keepers, ticket collectors and all the other deserving staff.
I mean, what's 30% of 100K a week? Oh boo hoo so sorry you'll have to struggle by on *checks sums*  £70,000  a week. 

2 minutes ago, xman said:

So am I.

"Wisdom comes with age"

So does senility ;) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xman said:

And so does tolerance of young whippersnappers

Just keeping you on your toes. Consider it a service. Like getting your daily allowance of exercise :) 

• Haha 2