The Coronavirus (COVID-19) Topic.

@Lee

8 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Doesn't this put our curve worse than Italy now? 

It may be just an academic point to compare. I suspect Italy and Spain's figures reflect the maximum ITU capacity that their hospitals can provide.

There will be many outside of them that have died but not yet counted, maybe never to be counted.

I noted from TV reports from countries like Italy that victims are said to have to be buried in zinc lined sealed coffins, such is the residual danger of the corpse perceived. That makes it more a plague rather than a pandemic 

Edited by xman

2 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

No one knows for certain. All eyes are on China as they lift their restrictions. 

Deaths often not recorded over a weekend so latest figures are upto 5pm on Monday so many may have died on Saturday or Sunday and simply added to official statistics on a Monday making it look like a sudden surge. Better to look at the last 3 days total and divide by three for a more accurate picture.

11 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Deaths often not recorded over a weekend so latest figures are upto 5pm on Monday so many may have died on Saturday or Sunday and simply added to official statistics on a Monday making it look like a sudden surge. Better to look at the last 3 days total and divide by three for a more accurate picture.

Thry are doing by day figures, but as you say, Saturday and Sunday aren't released/processed until Monday. 

But they are being reported by day. 

1 hour ago, gadgetman said:

No one knows for certain. All eyes are on China as they lift their restrictions. 

Surprisingly similar since we had weeks to learn from them.

Major of Bergamo got his daughters out of Canterbury and Taunton due to the Cavalier attitude of the British government......

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/23/italian-mayor-flies-his-student-daughters-out-of-unsafe-england

Italian mayor flies his student daughters out of 'unsafe' England

Chief of virus-hit Bergamo says slow British response means they will be safer at home.  The mayor of Bergamo, the city hardest hit by Italy’s coronavirus outbreak, has flown his daughters out of the UK because he says the British government’s response to the pandemic has been too slow.  Giorgio Gori, who has led the city since 2014, said the family had taken the decision because he viewed the UK’s response as so inadequate that his children would be safer at home, “even if we are at the centre of the epidemic”.

8 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Major of Bergamo got his daughters out of Canterbury and Taunton due to the Cavalier attitude of the British government......

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/23/italian-mayor-flies-his-student-daughters-out-of-unsafe-england

Much more likely he wanted to see his daughters in case he ended up dying in the next few weeks. Foolish to drag his daughters (who are likely in a low risk group) all the way back to the world's hottest hotspot where the medical system has been brought to its knees. High chance they'd pick it up along the way and give it him as a coming home present.

Not smart.

Indoors, doors closed is safe, anywhere. Don't visit friends/family/anyone unless absolutely necessary.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Surprisingly similar since we had weeks to learn from them.

Italian mayor flies his student daughters out of 'unsafe' England

Chief of virus-hit Bergamo says slow British response means they will be safer at home.  The mayor of Bergamo, the city hardest hit by Italy’s coronavirus outbreak, has flown his daughters out of the UK because he says the British government’s response to the pandemic has been too slow.  Giorgio Gori, who has led the city since 2014, said the family had taken the decision because he viewed the UK’s response as so inadequate that his children would be safer at home, “even if we are at the centre of the epidemic”.

You do know that report is two weeks old and came out on the day the government announced the lock down? 

Just now, moley said:

You do know that report is two weeks old and came out on the day the government announced the lock down? 

Yes and there was a tv program where he said it on camera.

Italian health service looked very good, better equipped than uk hospitals I gave seen recently despite their economy.

Both inferior to France and Germany for equipment. 

We can judge uk performance now we are starting to see range data near the peaks in each country.

Stats suggest western countries so much worse than Far East for various reasons it seems.

I do not think you can generalise about Hospitals in other countries then those in different UK Countries and areas.

It looks like that many get into a hospital in London and many do not come out alive.  Lots of hospitals in London though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lol-lol said:

Stats suggest western countries so much worse than Far East for various reasons it seems.

Japan declared a state of emergency today.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/japan-shinzo-abe-declares-state-of-emergency-over-coronavirus

Doesn't Japan have the oldest population?

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/09/elderly-oldest-population-world-japan/

Just now, lol-lol said:

Yes and there was a tv program where he said it on camera.

Italian health service looked very good, better equipped than uk hospitals I gave seen recently despite their economy.

Both inferior to France and Germany for equipment. 

We can judge uk performance now we are starting to see range data near the peaks in each country.

Clearly every other country in the western world is streets ahead of the UK when it comes to health care. :thinking: When it's all over we will have the true figure of the increase in deaths around the world. Depending how true the figures are, Italy has a Covid 19 death rate of 283 per million and the UK is 91 per million. Germany looks to be one of the safest European countries with a rate of 23 per million.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, moley said:

When it's all over we will have the true figure of the increase in deaths around the world. Depending how true the figures are, Italy has a Covid 19 death rate of 283 per million and the UK is 91 per million. Germany looks to be one of the safest European countries with a rate of 23 per million.

I think we'll never really know. Who was counted, who was not, did they die of something else, who's covering up or hiding stuff, who's exaggerating, who's spreading fake statistics etc etc.

Its very much like trying to count casualties in a war, as time goes on, the estimates will vary widely and get disputed. Governments, in particular, will want to keep the populous calm and on their side.

• Like 2

YouTube has banned all conspiracy theory videos falsely linking coronavirus symptoms to 5G networks.

The Google-owned service will now delete videos violating the policy. It had previously limited itself to reducing the frequency it recommended them in its Up Next section.

The move follows a live-streamed interview with conspiracy theorist David Icke on Monday, in which he had linked the technology to the pandemic.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52198946

Good piece here from the Eye https://www.private-eye.co.uk/issue-1519/news

And this one from The Irish Times https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-more-striking-evidence-bcg-vaccine-might-protect-against-covid-19-1.4222110?mode=amp

Quite disconcerting to see one hospital has re-purposed ten of its 12 operating theaters for CV patients leaving only two for actual surgery.

There were just two beds in the one they filmed in.

(BBC 6pm News 7/4/2020 iPlayer) 

6 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Quite disconcerting to see one hospital has re-purposed ten of its 12 operating theaters for CV patients leaving only two for actual surgery.

There were just two beds in the one they filmed in.

(BBC 6pm News 7/4/2020 iPlayer) 

According to my neighbour (NHS consultant) it was always the plan to cancel all elective surgery when Covid patients start arriving. Emergency surgery only now.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, xman said:

According to my neighbour (NHS consultant) it was always the plan to cancel all elective surgery when Covid patients start arriving. Emergency surgery only now.

Yeah, I understand that was the plan, it just nails it home when you see it. 😞 

Guest BigJase88

I’ve went full covid lockdown and shaved the hair off 😱

i am starting to bald anyways so using the excuse i couldn’t get a haircut, 2 birds one stone and all that. 

exit strategy is important, it needs to be clear already otherwise no-one knows when you can start coming out of lockdown, how, who, and what else is needed. Just opening the gates again ain't happening, or it's time for wave 2.

Look at Austria. First small stores, mandatory (anonymous) tracking, mask requirements.. watch a Europe-wide app happen. The Germans also have something for smart watches or a bracelet. 

Here they're about to start randomly testing the population to see just how widely spread it really is; also just heard about my daughter's friend - a colleague went to the doc because she figured she had norovirus - no, it was corona. A second colleague the same thing... I do wonder just how many people have had this and don't know it. 

Would be good to have a reliable antibody test, I need to be able to travel for work and a complete travel shutdown of Europe for another three months will be a serious problem. Singapore is closed again, HK too. Thailand and Philippines just starting, Dubai also; India and Pakistan are where this could get really bad.

- Bret

Edited by brettikivi
correcting "swearing"....
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

It's the thing that concerns me most, I still haven't heard what the exit strategy will be. As far as I can tell they do not have one! 

Until we're post peak, announcing this would just give idiots the green light to start now 

• Like 3

I'm not after dates or specific relaxations of the lockdown, rather I'd like to know if they intend people returning to work if say, certain hygiene rules are in place, or we will be allowed to meet in small groups. Perhaps we could visit immediate family. But as yet I have heard absolutely zero on what is expected first. After all they may not know the 'when' of the relaxations, but what concerns me is I do not believe they have a 'what' scenario in place yet. Numbers of infections and deaths will eventually go down, but then what? I would like to know as it will give me hope and help sustain me through this crisis. Personally the Government has given me diddley squat (not meant as a personal attack on the Tory party).