Campaign 23AX

26 minutes ago, J.R. said:

How much do you consider that you lost when you sold it soon afterwards over and above the depreciation that it would normally have suffered?

That isnt for me to decide and is down to the UK courts as to what they consider is appropriate. 

It is impossible to accurately know in fairness. Would I have got a better price for my car had the scandal not hit, no doubt about it as the garage had to take a risk and had to sell on that car and still make a profit. They did not know if there would be a market for this engine and how future values would be.

Are people sceptical about claiming and the morales surrounding it. Sure there are. I would imagine they are the same ones who didnt claim for ppi. I did and that was what changed my mind about future claims. I got a lot of money from ppi. I was one of the ones who took the morale high ground and wouldnt claim for anything citing greed and other things. But is it greed? Open to debate. Or is it making huge greedy companies who are happy to sell you a car which doesnt do as they said it would (mis-selling) and walk away with your money laughing, hold to account they tried to cheat the emissions system to save them money. But in doing so increasing emissions and pollution to our country and damaging peoples health. I know VW dont care about it and they only accepted there was a cheat when a court found them guilty said they had to sort it out. 

This was allnto save them money from making new engines to meet the stricter emmisions targets but ended up in the long run costing them billions and damaging their brand reputation.

• Groan 1

You are claiming for issues, failing EGR's & loss of MPG for a car which you sold soon afterwards & didn't suffer any,  the subsequent owner would be the one to suffer a loss if it happens, is it only the original purchasers of these vehicles that can make a claim?

It's a funny old world if the first owners who don't suffer a loss are compensated for the losses of those who buy the vehicles second hand.

It would be even funnier though if every owner could tap up VW, I could then claim for my 2015 Yeti even though I knew exactly what I was buying.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You are claiming for issues, failing EGR's & loss of MPG for a car which you sold soon afterwards & didn't suffer any,  the subsequent owner would be the one to suffer a loss if it happens, is it only the original purchasers of these vehicles that can make a claim?

It's a funny old world if the first owners who don't suffer a loss are compensated for the losses of those who buy the vehicles second hand.

It would be even funnier though if every owner could tap up VW, I could then claim for my 2015 Yeti even though I knew exactly what I was buying.

I didnt when I purchased mine. Think of it like buying a new build house (never would as they are small and poor quality) They promise you a dream house and you invest in what they sell you. However the reality is different. Wouldnt you feel cheated that you spent your hard earned money on something that didnt deliver what was promised? Such as TVs and phones, clothing etc. Cars are no different. They are a product. I know I felt cheated and it tainted my ownership. What I didn't realise is that it covered the EA288 engine aswell of recent. I always thought it was purely down to the EA189 engine. The emissions scandal covers engines upto 2019. VW clearly dont care and have made billions selling cars that dont do what they should. So who are the mugs, VW for doing what they did or for us consumers putting up with it?

• Groan 2

Unconvinced. Sounds like the automotive equivalent of money-for-nothing culture and ambulance chasing to me. Any future VW settlement should go directly to the Govt to help pay for green initiatives rather than the lumpen mass of taxpayers who aren't in the top 10% of earner bracket. 99% of diesel drivers' prime objective is to save money, not the planet. Witness the many TDI remaps and the extra pollution produced. 

• Like 3

The figure of Euro 5 TDI,s with defeat devices bought new by private individuals  will very likely be less than 50%.   VW Finance, Lease Companies and Fleet / Companies will be in the majority that owned the cars for the first 2 or 3 years.   The UK Government did a deal with VW group and got 1.1 million or some such pathetic compensation and then got in an argument with VW about the next Million or any more money.   The thing is that the UK and UK pension funds had financial interests in VW.     It is the UK treasury that should be getting Funds in from VW.   But then the UK Government Ministers were made aware long before September 2015 that vehicles with Defeat Devices were being imported into the UK. 

10 hours ago, Ecomatt said:

I didnt when I purchased mine. Think of it like buying a new build house (never would as they are small and poor quality) They promise you a dream house and you invest in what they sell you. However the reality is different. Wouldnt you feel cheated that you spent your hard earned money on something that didnt deliver what was promised? Such as TVs and phones, clothing etc. Cars are no different. They are a product. I know I felt cheated and it tainted my ownership. What I didn't realise is that it covered the EA288 engine aswell of recent. I always thought it was purely down to the EA189 engine. The emissions scandal covers engines upto 2019. VW clearly dont care and have made billions selling cars that dont do what they should. So who are the mugs, VW for doing what they did or for us consumers putting up with it?

I didn't know anything about the emissions scandal when I bought my s/h 2015 one, even though, apparently, it wasn't affected by it. But it is affected by Campaign 23ax and I want to know exactly what it does. I'm sceptical Skoda can change the NOX emissions and prolong the life of the DPF (which is what they say) without having some sort of other impact somewhere else. I've asked Skoda for a breakdown of what Campaign 23ax does and what exactly is changed. I don't know if I'll get an answer, but fingers crossed and I'll post if I do.

Nick

Edited by NikTheGeek
  • Like 2

A bit of googling earlier suggests that the EA288 software has a 'temperature window' within which the emissions equipment operates fully, and this approach may have been judged as not acceptable within the rules. So I suspect the change is to broaden the range of ambient temperatures within which it operates properly, to whatever is deemed OK by the powers that be.  

Legal profession will be the main winners I suspect. What does the small print say about what proportion of winnings any claimant will get versus what the lawyers keep? Does it even say?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e-Roottoot said:

The figure of Euro 5 TDI,s with defeat devices bought new by private individuals  will very likely be less than 50%.   VW Finance, Lease Companies and Fleet / Companies will be in the majority that owned the cars for the first 2 or 3 years.   The UK Government did a deal with VW group and got 1.1 million or some such pathetic compensation and then got in an argument with VW about the next Million or any more money.   The thing is that the UK and UK pension funds had financial interests in VW.     It is the UK treasury that should be getting Funds in from VW.   But then the UK Government Ministers were made aware long before September 2015 that vehicles with Defeat Devices were being imported into the UK. 

Personally I dont think the Government should get any money with the way they mismanage public funds and claim for everything under expenses.

I know for sure if I do get any money some will go towards the RSPCA and other charities that are deserving of funds.

• Love it! 1

Agreed. 

But i never mentioned paying the Money to snouters like Grants Shapps MP or the previous Secretaries of State for Transport like the clown that was in Office at the time of the VW Scandal and got a Peerage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_McLoughlin

It was the Treasury i said.  For the Public Purse, but then they get to cream off from that as well.

David Cameron had Lord Michael Heseltine in a position to help with the Motor Industry.  He who owns Haymarket Media Group who own AutoCar / What Car / Piston Heads and others including finance Journals.

The Publications that were 3 Monkeys about VW Group cheating yet were part of the group whos former employees were employed by the company testing emissions for the Government Agencies and others. 

https://www.emissionsanalytics.com 

The Government Ministers were made aware of 'fictional results from emission testing' done by manufacturers.

Edited by e-Roottoot

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Latvia my Octy Mk3 2.0TDI 110kW EU6 (11/2016 / first reg.05/2017, 100'700km on clock) has been re-programmed under campaign "23AX Engine Control Unit TPI xxx / Criteria 02".

More than week gone- no change in performance/fuel efficiency/active regeneration frequency etc.

Dealer just said that this campaign is for (...) older cars and refers to some German laws / something changed in emission control algorithm (...)

My car was updated 2.0 TDI 150hp 2016y.

Honestly recently lost little faith in the brand and thinking of replacement decided to update it. Who knows maybe it will also fix some other issues on the way by getting latest version.

However no major change noticied yet. Will keep posted here.

old and new version uploaded

Screenshot_20210521-090347~2.png

Screenshot_20190616-150735~2.png

p.s. kind of tired of vacuum-oil pump noise, DPF regens, silica bags, water pump unevitable failure, recently check engine (other water pump but for cooling the EGR or heating the cabin, not main engine one). Warranty is over soon and feeling kind of pressed to take decision. 62k km in the odometer.

Edited by Sec8200

On 25/05/2021 at 10:00, Sec8200 said:

My car was updated 2.0 TDI 150hp 2016y.

Honestly recently lost little faith in the brand and thinking of replacement decided to update it. Who knows maybe it will also fix some other issues on the way by getting latest version.

However no major change noticied yet. Will keep posted here.

old and new version uploaded

Screenshot_20210521-090347~2.png

Screenshot_20190616-150735~2.png

p.s. kind of tired of vacuum-oil pump noise, DPF regens, silica bags, water pump unevitable failure, recently check engine (other water pump but for cooling the EGR or heating the cabin, not main engine one). Warranty is over soon and feeling kind of pressed to take decision. 62k km in the odometer.

My CRMB's vacuum-oil pump still is acceptably, haha, loud. Warranty ended this Monday.

For silica bag issue ordered new tank with M in the end of ID (without silica bag).

DPF regens? It's ok and needed. My lady is doing this ~once a week (200-300km, mostly city drive).

If we want no regens...here's my dad's Subaru Outback '2015. Only highway use, CVT transmission. Never recognized active regen. And guess what? He finally got DPF warning symbol in dashboard and was pushed to drive like hell to clear it.

(if don't want to drive like hell to get high rpm's- then should go to manual mode of CVT and click some low gear).

So, VAG's solution with frequent active regens looks ok for me.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

update on the software update :)

... not sure if it's always applicable OR it's due to the software plus the fact my car is 5+ years old

... but the regens do take longer now

previously the duration was 16km approx, now is 32-36km

And this is not a single case but at least 5-6 detected regens.

I was told it's prolonging the life of the catalizator when it's aging

Edited by Sec8200
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Hello to everyone. 

I was called recently by Skoda representative and I was informed about the airbag recall 69DU. They told me I should also have the software update 23CM. However, after the update my engine has changed its behaviour and the DPF does regenerations very often and for very longer time. Before the update every 300-350km lasting 30' appr. Now every 100-150km lasting appr an hour. This is something really frustrating. 

Let me ask you, this was the EA189 diesel engines NOx update (23R7 I think) or a different update? Sorry for the lack of knowledge, but I bought the car as used at 2019 and I suppose the EA189 campaign had already been done by the previous owner.

Of course I went back to the representative but they did not find anything abnormal. Any help would be appreciated.

Let me attach an image for my DPF as appears at my OBD app. As mentioned earlier (Mr Sec8200), the software number at the bottom has also been changed after the update. (9978 before, 9982 now)

Thanks in advance

1000004890.jpg

• Thanks 1

Do you have a DSG gearbox? And has this update caused any changes to its operation?

23AX made my DSG stuck in ECO mode and it was ****ing painful trying to get Skoda to roll the software back...

The dealership are dead to me after claiming there was nothing wrong and I must just drive funny...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jono said:

Do you have a DSG gearbox? And has this update caused any changes to its operation?

23AX made my DSG stuck in ECO mode and it was ****ing painful trying to get Skoda to roll the software back...

The dealership are dead to me after claiming there was nothing wrong and I must just drive funny...

I have the 7 speed dry DSG and the update made no difference to my gearbox as far as I could tell...

Nick

This gets confusing when someone says they have a 7 speed DSG and that is a DQ200 so a Twin Dry Clutch DSG .

The 7 speed wet clutch DSG,s might well be DQ381,s

@GeorgepapIs posting about a 1.2 TDI Fabia from 2013 and has a thread in the Mk2 Fabia section on that and The Fix, or what ever software update was carried out.

**A Euro 5 emissions engine.*

Edited by Rooted

14 minutes ago, Rooted said:

This gets confusing when someone says they have a 7 speed DSG and that is a DQ200 so a Twin Dry Clutch DSG .

The 7 speed wet clutch DSG,s might well be DQ381,s

@GeorgepapIs posting about a 1.2 TDI Fabia from 2013 and has a thread in the Mk2 Fabia section on that and The Fix, or what ever software update was carried out.

I didn't even know there was a 7 speed wet one!!

19 hours ago, Rooted said:

Not used with FWD 1.6 TDI,s, or 1.2 TDI,s or 1.0, 1.2, 1.5, 1.6, 1.8 petrols

basically FWD under 192 ps or less, 250 Nm or under.  (Other than with a Kodiaq.)

585848287_Screenshot2022-12-2814_19_08.jpg.a622554865cd35b0aa0635744f07aef0.jpg.e60e4108650178b3b9c52a5a8ae2dc18.jpg

1251790614_1202101576_Screenshot2021-07-28at14_13_28(1).webp.dde12619b31ec8cdae479bb65da21acb.webp

Just an addendum to this, but the DSG service intervals are 40K miles or 4 years & 80K miles or 8 years, whichever comes sooner.

• Sad 1

^^^ No they are not.   DSG Servicing is not by year.

There are the DQ200,s with no Service intervals,  then those with 40,000 miles, 6 speed wets usually. (38,000 in an Audi). 

Then the 80,000 schedule shown with the DQ381.

None are by years as some Charts show. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rooted said:

^^^ No they are not.   DSG Servicing is not by year.

There are the DQ200,s with no Service intervals,  then those with 40,000 miles, 6 speed wets usually. (38,000 in an Audi). 

Then the 80,000 schedule shown with the DQ381.

None are by years as some Charts show. 

I stand corrected, I was going from this old chart.

Service Costs 2021.PNG

• Like 1