Social Distancing support, advice and tips & a little humour.

@Lee

Heard these 2 fella’s discussing who was going to crap first on my car when one said to the other “we can’t”. The other said “why not”. The first one said “look at the boot it says SUPER-B” and the second one looks confused.” That means he must large and flies very fast and I’ve seen what he does in those movies with the Penguin”.

EBFC8DE3-477A-4917-94A7-A7152A1F463F.jpeg

• Like 1

Very little queues outside either Aldi or Lidl locally. But over the past week there is evidence of queues at checkouts, possibly due to both stores reluctance to open checkouts. I've noticed a lot of complaints on both stores FB pages and the stores seem to have taken this on board with an increased urgency to open more checkouts to reduce internal store queues at checkouts.

I haven't noticed any real increase in speeding but more an increase in intolerance driving. e.g. car in front obeying limit, but car behind using aggressive tactics to try and force car in front to speed up.

But ,I can predict another speed purge as I notice on local FB NHW pages an increased mention of "cars racing through town". What I don't see is comments on the cycle louts that seem to think that local parks are velodromes for them to race around, or comments on the abuse of junctions /give way & traffic lights by this lot, who seem to think that because Boris advocates cycling, then it's OK to flout all traffic and safety laws. I pulled up one cyclist in our local park on a bridge with a no cycling sign. He thought that the sign ( red outer circle with a cycle inside meant it was ok as the cycle did not have a line through the cycle )

Edited by VWD

14 hours ago, FirstAndLastSkoda said:

I'm pleased to hear the police in your respective areas are being pro-active. Unfortunately, that is far from the case where I  reside.

UK wide police are launching some initiatives over the next few weeks starting with targeting speeding. 

So expect more visibility and proactiveness soon ;)

Police Scotland in various areas have been proactively targeting speeding during lockdown since lockdown started and for the years before that.

The difference now is it is so easy to catch speeders where sometimes there are so many over the speed limit they concentrate on just those well over the limit.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52370352

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-52300428

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

Ramadan can have an impact as not eating and drinking during daylight hours can make drivers make irrational/questionable decisions behind the wheel. Saw a Lady Muslim Doctor on TV before it began saying she even gets more snappy with her own children during fasting.

6 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Ramadan can have an impact as not eating and drinking during daylight hours can make drivers make irrational/questionable decisions behind the wheel. Saw a Lady Muslim Doctor on TV before it began saying she even gets more snappy with her own children during fasting.

You mean fasting, right. Not Ramadan specifically, yes? Christians and Jews and perhaps other faiths have a similar practice in their religious calendar so don't single one in particular out. There's a good chap.

• Like 1

Wish the owner of the VW Golf that caused me taking over 1 hour to get to work tonight had still been working from home. Sat on the M1 between J21 and J20 southbound for 21 minutes while 6 Police cars, 1 Paramedic and 1 Ambulance rushed to their assistance while we waited for 21 minutes for the mess to be cleared up. Lockdown is officially over when the idiots return to cause havoc on the motorways. Sad but true.:mmm:

27 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Wish the owner of the VW Golf that caused me taking over 1 hour to get to work tonight had still been working from home. Sat on the M1 between J21 and J20 southbound for 21 minutes while 6 Police cars, 1 Paramedic and 1 Ambulance rushed to their assistance while we waited for 21 minutes for the mess to be cleared up. Lockdown is officially over when the idiots return to cause havoc on the motorways. Sad but true.:mmm:

For a start, you don't know what they were driving like before the accident. Secondly, people are possibly injured maybe seriously and you're a bit ****ed at having to wait for 21 minutes for triple nine services to do their job. You really are one selfish, nasty little man. :thumbdown:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

day 1 of phase 1 lockdown reduction yesterday...

2 elements abandoned before it even started -

homeware shops (harry corry etc) not allowed open over concerns about maintaining social distancing with expected crowds and also general crowd control issues 

childcare facilities for frontline workers to open - abandoned as only 8 creches across the country were willing and confident enough in safegaurding abilities to sign up.

hardware stores and garden centres allowed open... 

BnQ somewhere in dublin... -

i await the return to lockdown in 12days time when the surge hits....

would you be arsed joining a queue that long for some f'in paint and coat hooks???

Edited by john999boy
Helping out Mac!
  • Groan 1

couldnt add text under the video, hoping a merge does it...

would you be arsed joining a queue that long for some f'in paint and coat hooks???

edit..

merge didnt happen. interesting

Edited by mac11irl

54 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Some just want somewhere to go 

and i get that. but standing in a queue all morning to walk around a warehouse.. if there was 15 people ahead of me in the queue id walk away...

32 minutes ago, john999boy said:

It required one of these:-

Wand.JPG.bcb0467f95e8e51941ca7edbebc1e646.JPG

thanks John

On 18/05/2020 at 13:47, gadgetman said:

UK wide police are launching some initiatives over the next few weeks starting with targeting speeding. 

So expect more visibility and proactiveness soon ;)

Sadly on  the  targeting speeding  front, I'd say yes. I'm part of a local NHW group to get folk aware of how to stop REAL crime, like breakins /garden theft /car breakins and help to make folk aware of the little things to make life difficult for the opportunist thief, but sadly I'm seeing more posts about speeding motorists from the old biddy and WRI side. Peronally I've only seen an increase of assole driving- with idiots trying tp pressure you into going  faster than the lmit. But since speeding is an absolute offence and tailgaiting and assole driving is subjective, I doubt if they'll be much action. Sadly I see more and more posts asking how to report social distancing problems. Then again, I see plenty of encouragement from Boris et all about using cycles . great till you try to take a walk  in a park to find you/your party /dogs with you and any toddlers in danger of collision by those mistaking public parks for velodromes. Try getting some regulation on that lot.

on the Queue side- I notice more and more folks looking at the length of Queues and going elsewhere.

Edited by VWD

2 hours ago, gadgetman said:

Some just want somewhere to go 

No- all over the world we find national traditions when more than two natives of a country group together. I'll not quote races as no doubt someone will find find cause to deem this post racist. Suffice it to say that when it all comes down to it, you will always find  two English persons of that race forming a queue/

11 hours ago, VWD said:

No- all over the world we find national traditions when more than two natives of a country group together. I'll not quote races as no doubt someone will find find cause to deem this post racist. Suffice it to say that when it all comes down to it, you will always find  two English persons of that race forming a queue/

Again I fail to see what a person's race has to do with whether they queue up or not or it's relevance in an experience. Even whether they were English or not is pretty irrelevant. 

• Like 1

It's always been a bit of a mystery to me that there's supposed to be some magic alternative to queuing?  What is it?

As far as I can see, a queue is a rational, considerate, civilised response to a limited resource and a large number of users of that resource. 

I agree, race or nationality are entirely irrelevant. Level of courtesy and consideration for others seem to be the relevant variables.  Difficult concepts for some.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wino said:

It's always been a bit of a mystery to me that there's supposed to be some magic alternative to queuing?  What is it?

As far as I can see, a queue is a rational, considerate, civilised response to a limited resource and a large number of users of that resource. 

I agree, race or nationality are entirely irrelevant. Level of courtesy and consideration for others seem to be the relevant variables.  Difficult concepts for some.

Anyone who has travelled overseas is quite used to the concept of security checks and queues at Airports. A necessary evil while some try to smuggle bombs and weapons aboard civilian aircraft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

Anyone who has travelled overseas is quite used to the concept of security checks and queues at Airports. A necessary evil while some try to smuggle bombs and weapons aboard civilian aircraft.

I've come to the conclusion that we no longer need thread titles on Briskoda as invariably the topic moves on to something not relevant.

BTW I concur with @gadgetman in his last post.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pictures on the telly of Police in Wales stopping drivers and motorcyclists show police officers without masks going up to motorcyclists with helmets on and visors up and going close to speak to them and too listen to them.

Pretty damn close, as in not Social Distancing.

It seems like in Scotland where H&S of Officers needs looked at. In Scotland the question is about brethalyzing drivers / riders and if people should be emptying their lungs into devices.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52713404

The Scottish Police Federation seems to want them to take the pith.   No idea how that works at the roadside, unless there is a dip test of the pee.

Nice roadside pop up toilet tents and full PPE. or PEE.

Surely local authorities should have public toilets opened and even portable toilets hired and available.

Spend £1.   Otherwise the Councils and Government are arse over elbow allowing people visiting / travelling to arrive in areas without facilities.

Staff employed or companies to 'mist them' between users and attend to cleaning. 

A business opportunity for all those companies not supplying toilets to festivals and events.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/480858-car-service-friday-not-sure-i-want-it-misted

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot