What Sunglasses do you wear ?

jonny boy

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No MTb'ers/skiers/snowboarders using goggles? I have Scott goggles that I use for d'hill mtb'ing, they have lasted for years, handier than normal sunnies as no chance of them coming off no matter what you are doing, and cover larger area of the face so lenses cover a greater field of vision, plus the lenses are interchangeable depending on light conditions etc...

Oakleys fashionable ? Come on, this is 2006. They're still damn fine sunglasses, don't get me wrong, high quality, high tech, but they were only cool in the 90s before everybody started buying fakes from the market.

Personally I've got a pair of decent quality Bolle shades in my car, a reasonble pair of Bloc shades in my wife's car, and a pair of Bloc wraparounds with interchangeable lenses I use for mountain biking and skiing. I do own a pair of Oakleys, but they're ski goggles which enhance contrast in low light conditions.

Since buying a kitcar I find I'm using my Wileys a lot mor ethan my Oakley Ewires,

The Wileys are US Standard issue CQC ballistics goggles and basically enclose the eye ball and protects it from debris - stones, wasps etc - a feature which is extreemly useful when driving a car without a windscreen. They also coem with a pair of yellow and clear interchangable lens as well as the shades and for a fraction of the price of Oakleys.

I still use the oakleys but only when on foot

No MTb'ers/skiers/snowboarders using goggles? I have Scott goggles that I use for d'hill mtb'ing, they have lasted for years, handier than normal sunnies as no chance of them coming off no matter what you are doing, and cover larger area of the face so lenses cover a greater field of vision, plus the lenses are interchangeable depending on light conditions etc...

yup.. use goggles when I'm out snowboarding, they are (ahem) Oakley A-FRAMES in carbon with gold irridium lenses.

I find them fantastic at cutting out the glare without runining your vision - oh and unlike my mate's bolle goggles they have never fogged on me either!

Oakleys all the way for me im afraid!

i have O3 prescription glasses, Square Wire 2.0 gold iridium perscription, Square Wire 2.0 fire iridum (single vision) and Full Metal Jacket M Frames (fire iridium, G30 and persimmon lenses)

dont wear the perscription ones so much these days as i wear contacts (in the emergency response team on the oilrig, helps if i can see when wearing BA)

i also play golf, where the M Frames come in.

i started wearing them years ago, but find oakleys the most comfortable as the legs dont hook behind the ear.

also, they seem to win the Private Pilot magazine sunglasses tests alot.......

Oakleys are the best sunglass lenses that money can buy. end of story!!

incidentally, Oakley do make polarised lenses. they have 'polarised' engraved in the left hand lense

I'm going to have to join the Skoda driving Oakley wearing club too! :cool: I've currently got two pairs of fives... And I can totally understand why so many of you have Oakleys, they are the best shades I have ever had.

Their lenses are of the highest quality too. I'd rather not knacker my eyes by using rubbish lenses. They are also extremely comfortable to wear, I 'm always forgetting I have them on.

I bought my first pair about 4 years ago and I still wear them. The "cheap" ones I've had hardly lasted a year!

A pair of Hatchets is next on my list... :)

I was looking in a cycling catalogue and noticed a page of Oakley sunglasses, some of the designs are absolutely terrible looking, especially the ones with integrated bluetooth/mp3 players, they look absolutely awful, so maybe you are right about them not being fashionable since the 90's, the M-Frame (is that the name?) are pretty much the only ones that have stood the test of time design-wise (designed in the 80's I believe) with very little in the way of refreshing the look of them, I think they still look quite stylish, they are good functional glasses, with excellent lense coverage/choice, and are still the choice for professional sportsmen and women, I'd say if I were going to get sunnies for sport/activities it would be them, none of the other styles really come close...

the M-Frame (is that the name?) are pretty much the only ones that have stood the test of time design-wise (designed in the 80's I believe) with very little in the way of refreshing the look of them, I think they still look quite stylish,

Mumbos still stylish?!?!?! :rofl: They looked ok in the early 90's, but now they look old hat imho. Juliets look the nuts but do not suit me :(

oakley's for me half jackets with black iridium lens best pair of gigs i have ever owned although everybody i see calls me a poser is this a jealousy thing or what?????????????

For Driving Cebe with brown lenses. You can see through them really well and they reduce the light only a small amount.

For ****ing around in the sun, Bole wire framed thingies with brown/orange coated lenses. Really takes the sun and UV out good and proper. :)

I have some black ones and some silver ones with blue lenses. No idea what make they are.. they're just glasses.. sit on my face and make the world darker. Hmm... reminds me of something else.... lol

Seems to me there are two (maybe three) schools of thought here:

1. I want my sunglasses to show how rich and fashionable I am (Oakley)

2. I want my sunglasses to protect my eyes from flying debris (well sunglasses won't do that, will they?)

3. I want my sunglasses to cut down on glare a bit (a pair of frames with some tinted plastic in)

Too harsh? Stop and think before answering and justifying one or other of the various points of view with "well I don't want to be blinded" - any pair of dark polarised lenses will provide you with THAT protection. :rolleyes:

a very very old pair of Frogskins

i've also got a pair of OAKLEY FROGSKINS blue iridium lens ,circa 1994 , but as someone took the pi$$ the other day i may have to replace them soon to avoid further embarassment

I've got some brown ones from M&S which I've had for about ten years. £12 they cost. I'm after some new ones now as the lenses are so scratched.

Anyone know where I can get a pair like Vic Mackey wears?

Vicmackey.jpg