Header Tank Silica Bag Fault

I Believe, and I'm happy to be corrected, that the coolant was changed to G13 at the same time, which gives the component protection.

However, i would still change the coolant every 5 years anyway because I believe it to be good practice and would certainly do no harm!

1 minute ago, foregonereality said:

Oh yes..I'm going to open this can! :rofl:

So is the G12++/Evo, despite being a number lower, newer than the G13?

In age order... G12++, G13, G12evo 😉

If your car says G13, you should be topping up with either G13 or G12evo.

G12++ is compatible but you may have reduced corrosion protection.

• Like 2

Just wondering.. I've already replaced the "Mit Silikat" header tank in the 2015 Superb, and am now going to replace the same tank in the 2.0 Ltr Passat.  The new one that arrived has the "Mit Silikat"  stamp on it, so I'm wondering if its a new improved non-leaking version? As for continued protection in the Superb, I'll  just top up with pure G13, until its time to change and flush the system sometime in 2022, and  every 24-30 odd mths thereafter.

On 08/08/2021 at 18:20, Jim Reire said:

Just wondering.. I've already replaced the "Mit Silikat" header tank in the 2015 Superb, and am now going to replace the same tank in the 2.0 Ltr Passat.  The new one that arrived has the "Mit Silikat"  stamp on it, so I'm wondering if its a new improved non-leaking version? As for continued protection in the Superb, I'll  just top up with pure G13, until its time to change and flush the system sometime in 2022, and  every 24-30 odd mths thereafter.

No, the new tank which you have is actually an old model and has a silica bag in it, sorry. The new ones without silica bag has no “Mit Silikat” stamp on them.

There are like 5-6-7 models of the coolant tank where the latest one(s?) have no stamp and therefore bag in them.

Old forum members usually recommend changing the coolant every 5 years if the silica bag is removed from a “Mit Silikat” tank.

• Thanks 1

I took the silica bag out of my 2014 VRS years ago, but I have also heard recently that due to the bag not being present, the G13 won't provide enough protection and so it has now been superseded by G12 evo. This was confirmed as correct by my local main dealer last week when I enquired.

So whilst it was in for a service, the other day, I also had the coolant system drained, flushed and re-filled with G12 evo. Cost me around 200 quid with the vat, but they said that it should now last the life of the car, with regular checks and the odd top-up.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, fr1nklyn said:

No, the new tank which you have is actually an old model and has a silica bag in it, sorry. The new ones without silica bag has no “Mit Silikat” stamp on them.

There are like 5-6-7 models of the coolant tank where the latest one(s?) have no stamp and therefore bag in them.

Old forum members usually recommend changing the coolant every 5 years if the silica bag is removed from a “Mit Silikat” tank.

So basically, you were just buying some extra time....say every 2 years, you would need to replace the headertank ( and silica bag) to avoid silica contamination.....I think that I'd have more faith in a silicate free tank, and regular antifreeze changing.

• Like 1

I don’t think you will have issues with this tank having new silica bag in the next 3-4 years. If you plan to keep the car after that, you will need to change the tank again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ray Luxury-Yacht said:

I took the silica bag out of my 2014 VRS years ago, but I have also heard recently that due to the bag not being present, the G13 won't provide enough protection and so it has now been superseded by G12 evo. This was confirmed as correct by my local main dealer last week when I enquired.

So whilst it was in for a service, the other day, I also had the coolant system drained, flushed and re-filled with G12 evo. Cost me around 200 quid with the vat, but they said that it should now last the life of the car, with regular checks and the odd top-up.

This is exactly what I intend to do at my next service.

• Like 1

On 04/08/2021 at 20:03, foregonereality said:

Oh yes..I'm going to open this can! :rofl:

So is the G12++/Evo, despite being a number lower, newer than the G13?

This chart helps explain the VAG coolant timeline, comparability and corrosion protection.

Here's the link to the full presentation:-

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10138342-9999.pdf

G12evo chart.PNG

Edited by EnterName
Link to coolant presentation added
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Jim Reire said:

Thanks for sharing, its very informative, but its quite specific that its only for Audi A7  and R8 presently?

That's a presentation from Jan 2018, but yes, it does say it's just for the A7 & A8 but the intention was to roll it out to other vehicles.

I suppose a knowledgable tech might be able to clarify things.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, foregonereality said:

A lesson I've learned is that it's much easier to order the G13 or G12evo premixed rather than concentrated. 

It's a pain in the backside trying to find demineralised water without being charged an arm and a leg.

A lesson I learned is let the dealer do it when you have your timing belt and therefore the water pump done. It's an ideal time and happily matches the intervals that you would want to replace the coolant in anyway! :)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NikTheGeek said:

A lesson I learned is let the dealer do it when you have your timing belt and therefore the water pump done. It's an ideal time and happily matches the intervals that you would want to replace the coolant in anyway! :)

Excellent idea!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, varaderoguy said:

It's only there to remove water and moisture from the coolant.

Actually, it's there to leach silica in to the coolant to coat the metal and prevent corrosion, replacing silica that is lost from the coolant as it ages. It doesn't absorb moisture because if you think about it the coolant is typically 50% water! :) :) 

• Like 1

That is the second time I've read that crazy wrong idea about what the silicate in the pouch is for!

Surely not the same person.

I don't think that G12evo is available as a conc right now, it does can under 2 generic part numbers though, so what out, a 50% mix giving -35C protection or a 40% giving -25C protection - obviously the corrosion protection will be less for the lower/cheaper version of mixs.

Tough words @rum4mo
 I'm always open when I've said something wrong. I agree that the silica is there to help with the lubicity of the coolant. I've deleted my previous posting. I'm not perfect. I was thinking about something else and got confused. My apologies if there was confusion.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

Tough words @rum4mo
 I'm always open when I've said something wrong. I agree that the silica is there to help with the lubicity of the coolant. I've deleted my previous posting. I'm not perfect. I was thinking about something else and got confused. My apologies if there was confusion.

I assumed he meant my explanation! :)