Tuning the <Beep> out of my VRS230

Hi All

I've decided to starting looking to Modify my 2016 VRS 230.  I always said i love my vrs except for the fact that its not an AWD car.  So first on the agenda would be doing an AWD converion.

I don't know many tuning companies in the South/South East/South West London Area. I was looking to approach a well known company called VRS Performance in Northampton about this because i believe they have done one on a Seat Cupra and given that the CUpra and the VRS share similar parts and built on a similar chassis it made sense to approach them about it. However i've realised Northampton is quite far from London so not really feasible. 

So if anyone has any recommendations of Tuners of a similar calibre to VRS Performance, please do let me know

If anyone has done a AWD conversion or knows of someone who has i would love to get your input and feedback on how its behaving

The other part of the modifications is to take it from 0 to Stage 3+/Stage 4 either with Revo or APR...still deciding so any input/ comments would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks for your time

Many years ago my wife (to be) and I got lost in a remote part of Ireland and we stopped to ask a local how to get to our destination.

His reply,  "Well sorr, I would not start from here", was not particularly helpful but was a preface to further complicated directions to a village where we bought an up to date Michelin map.

In short sell the RS230 and get a 4wd Cupra or Golf Type R and modify that if necessary. Damn sight simpler and probably less expensive.

At least contact the company in Northampton and get an idea of what they would charge.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 2

This ^^^

However:

You would have a unique car if you went for it. You could keep an eye out for a crashed 4x4 TDI vRS or Scout and use the hardware from that? Or from a crashed Golf R, Audi A3 quattro, or Leon Cupra ST (which were all 4x4 I believe).

The 4x4 vRS was DSG only, so that's another thing to think about. I also have no idea if the floorpan is different to accomodate the propshaft etc.

Good luck!

As much as I love my vRS, I love it because it's a relative performance bargain with bags of practicality. You can also chuck a relatively small amount of money at it to release some more performance and it's great.

Throwing huge sums of money at one to essentially try to build a Leon Cupra or Golf R AWD drivetrain in a Skoda shell seems to defeat the object somewhat - I think i'd rather just buy the Golf R to begin with.

• Like 1

A good old mate of mine  who owns a small garage business rebuilding Porsche cars gave me some advice once. When I was modifying a certain car to go faster, he said, "why not just buy a faster model of car instead". So as others have said in reply to your post, why not just buy a car that does have AWD already. It would save you a small fortune. It's also a Golf R for me too.

• Like 1

I'd love a Golf R, unfortunately certain people will smash your front door in whilst you're asleep and demand the keys...

image.png.3c72d979be927a5675597398a065536b.png

Edited by silver1011

You’ve probably looked and dunno what your budget is however. Superb 280 4x4 !!! 
low on the stolen list. Uses all the same parts as golf r’s etc. And just with stage 1 map you are up to 360-370bhp and 500nm. 

6 minutes ago, Esseesse200 said:

You’ve probably looked and dunno what your budget is however. Superb 280 4x4 !!! 
low on the stolen list. Uses all the same parts as golf r’s etc. And just with stage 1 map you are up to 360-370bhp and 500nm. 

Just had my Insurance renewal through for my 360bhp stage 1 Superb 272 and it's lower than my previous car the stage 2 (336bhp) Octavia Vrs245.:thumbup:

8 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Just had my Insurance renewal through for my 360bhp stage 1 Superb 272 and it's lower than my previous car the stage 2 (336bhp) Octavia Vrs245.:thumbup:

I have the diesel version mapped And yep pretty much same story. Had a 2013 mapped octavia Vrs and went to the superb and it was a minor difference but the car was double the value. 

• Like 1

If budget is tight to give some constructive advice I would stop at a stage 1 remap which gives around 300bhp and upto 460nm of torque on 220/230 and 245 Octavia Vrs models. For me this is the sweet spot as I found out spending an extra £3,000 on my 245 didn't make it necessarily better it just got harder to put the extra power and torque down onto the tarmac which any 4WD car doesn't struggle with extra poke even in the wet which is when the limitations of front wheel drive are exposed. Perhaps a brake upgrade is the only mod I would consider to rein in the extra go from a remap.;)

• Like 3

On 16/04/2020 at 23:26, SalimShady04 said:

Hi All

I've decided to starting looking to Modify my 2016 VRS 230.  I always said i love my vrs except for the fact that its not an AWD car.  So first on the agenda would be doing an AWD converion.

TBH, balancing the torque steer through both throttle & steering input in a 300bhp front wheel drive car is great fun, when it runs out at about 40-50mph is when you start reeling in the heavier 4x4 cars that are carrying another 200-250Kg of Haldex system

• Like 1

I would never invest in something like 4x4 conversion. Rather to invest some money in good soundproofing. You can still tune the hell of your car, but you will have to restrain your self from flooring the throttle below 70/80 kmh. 

On 17/04/2020 at 18:21, silver1011 said:

I'd love a Golf R, unfortunately certain people will smash your front door in whilst you're asleep and demand the keys...

image.png.3c72d979be927a5675597398a065536b.png

Who the hell is stealing astras and focus's!!!!!

46 minutes ago, JamiePvrs said:

Who the hell is stealing astras and focus's!!!!!

I bet the Focus are the RS and ST. Astras also the VXR models