Rear arb / sway bar upgrade

After learning from another Australian member here (Ope126 :thumbup:) that Fulcrum Suspensions (SuperPro) in Qld had used his Sportline 206tsi 4x4 as a test bed for certifying the fitting of the Golf R rear arb. I ordered the SuperPro rear ARB kit and had it fitted this week and I'm looking forward to going for a good drive this weekend to see the difference this makes. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Angelo Amato said:

Hi, interested in this upgrade, can someone in the UK confirm the H&R part number and a supplier please.

Thanks in advance.

It's the same number for the Golf and Passat item - 33851HA5

Talk to Kev at Kam Racing. [email protected]

Good guys, very helpful. 

8 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

Would that be ok on  a non- Sportline estate mk 3?

I'd check on that. The AWD versions have a diff and different rear axle. The various sites always asked exactly what model I had so there may be a difference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LordRichards said:

I'd check on that. The AWD versions have a diff and different rear axle. The various sites always asked exactly what model I had so there may be a difference. 

I assumed he meant an AWD estate, if it's an FWD then yes the  model number is different @Sandgroper  what car is it?

Hi, its a Mk3 ,17 reg fwd estate diesel 150. I tow a caravan (Covid permitting) but I am experimenting with the Sports DCC setting to control the wallowing or floating. My lifetime hobby has been building and restoring sports cars and I prefer a stiffer ride if possible. 

Not towed with the Superb at all actually as I bought it in Jan because my partner may require a wheel chair hoist. What travelling I have done in the beast indicated that the ride was a bit soft.

I would probably look to my local VAG shop to do the change. I am rapidly approaching 81yrs old and crawling about isn't as easy as it once was and I like to know just what I need for the job in hand to avoid being sold a pup. 

20 minutes ago, Sandgroper said:

Hi, its a Mk3 ,17 reg fwd estate diesel 150. I tow a caravan (Covid permitting) but I am experimenting with the Sports DCC setting to control the wallowing or floating. My lifetime hobby has been building and restoring sports cars and I prefer a stiffer ride if possible. 

Not towed with the Superb at all actually as I bought it in Jan because my partner may require a wheel chair hoist. What travelling I have done in the beast indicated that the ride was a bit soft.

I would probably look to my local VAG shop to do the change. I am rapidly approaching 81yrs old and crawling about isn't as easy as it once was and I like to know just what I need for the job in hand to avoid being sold a pup. 

In that case I believe the part number should be the one meant for a MK7 Golf Estate FWD, i can't find the part number right now unfortunately.

In theory, there are no H&R sway bars for the MK3 Superb officially as H&R hasn't bothered certifying them for our cars so people have simply gone with them based on the rear axle being identical between say a Golf R estate and a Superb AWD or Golf Estate FWD and a Superb FWD (saloon & estate).

Also most shops only sell them as a front & rear package :wall:  which makes it harder to locate the correct part number of only the rear one.

Thanks for that info Newbie69. If we ever get out of solitary I will explore again!!! I wouldn't be averse to stiffening front and back tbh. Just narks me that I can't do it myself!

The price of old age I'm afraid.

7 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

I put a rear only H&R bar on my AWD Superb estate (UK) / wagon (Oz). The part number is probably not the same as for your FWD but as newbie69 said it was the same part # as the Golf or Passat AWD so I'd imagine it would be the same for the FWD models. One of the benefits of the MQB system I guess. I've also put stiffer Eibach spring on mine which made a huge difference to the wallow and float. It you're used to sports cars it may suit your tastes. It's a bit lower too but not sure how that would affect towing...? I got a mate and a local shop to fit the springs and bar. It all transformed the car and I've done about 3000 country k's since and it's a great GT car now. 

9 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

Thanks for that info Newbie69. If we ever get out of solitary I will explore again!!! I wouldn't be averse to stiffening front and back tbh. Just narks me that I can't do it myself!

The price of old age I'm afraid.

Are you kidding?  I would love to still be looking into modifying my car like you are, at your age. Although I have a feeling there won't even be cars in the current form by then...

4 hours ago, newbie69 said:

Are you kidding?  I would love to still be looking into modifying my car like you are, at your age. Although I have a feeling there won't even be cars in the current form by then...

Very true I'm afraid. I enjoyed my car time. Started with Austin 7's stripped and re-bodied (my first cost me £7.50!!! no battery) But the 750 club in those days was home to the likes of Colin Chapman who became Lotus. His correspondence to the magazines covers his development of the first Lotus 6 . He was just like everyone else a petrol head playing at chassis stiffness etc. Great days! i still have a longing to build a Bugatti type 35 on a Triumph  GT6 chassis, but it's a dream only these days . I have built a Lotus 7 lookalike since I retired though!!

Stay safe mate!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Going to see my friendly workshop in December to MOT my partner's car and also see if he could do my Superb arb's . Where do you buy them from, direct from Eibach/ H and R  or get the shop to buy them?

Of course in Sweden you might have better access to German bits! Anyone done the deed in the UK?

I happened to found one tuning shop here selling those as independent units instead of front & rear pack so I bought from them. Otherwise your workshop could buy for you I guess depending on how helpful they can be!

Awesome GTI sells them as a combo unfortunately: https://www.awesomegti.com/parts/suspension/anti-roll-bars/copy-of-h-r-anti-roll-bar-kit-f-24-r-26mm-superb-3t-4wd/

• 1 year later...

I am also interested to replace my rear arb on my l&k. But I am missing some of information. 
improve body roll because of I like cornering.

1st - Why don't we replace it as a set with front arb?

2nd - Which thickness should I choose to not give up on comfort? Is there anyone did for their l&k?
3rd- What brand?

44 minutes ago, candasm said:

I am also interested to replace my rear arb on my l&k. But I am missing some of information. 
improve body roll because of I like cornering.

1st - Why don't we replace it as a set with front arb?

2nd - Which thickness should I choose to not give up on comfort? Is there anyone did for their l&k?
3rd- What brand?

1. you may want to be careful with upgrading the front sway bar on front wheel drive cars because too much stiffness in the front can cause the inside front wheel to lift. Because the front tires are putting power to the ground, this would drastically affect the car's grip and handling in a negative way

2. I put 25.4mm rear swaybar - comfort has not been compromised one bit with the DCC setup.

3. Eibach, H&R, Whiteline.  Eibach only sell them as a set - i.e. front & rear.  I've got a Hardrace rear swaybar.

They also make a AWD version.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, I use 245x35r19 tire on front and 225x40r19 on rear. I have fwd and 21x3.0 rear ARB and front is 25.4x4.5. Isnt front a bit too stiff and then have you got any ideas of good setup for my car? I have EIBACH pro street S suspension

1 hour ago, TyMo said:

Hi, I use 245x35r19 tire on front and 225x40r19 on rear. I have fwd and 21x3.0 rear ARB and front is 25.4x4.5. Isnt front a bit too stiff and then have you got any ideas of good setup for my car? I have EIBACH pro street S suspension

For starters, ur setup isn't good!! 

U shouldn't b running different sized tyre profiles between from and rear.

Why have u done that?

U r running odd tyre sizes, front and back.

Also 225 wide tyres is not recommended on the 8" wide rims, which the Superb uses.

Standard tyre size on the 19" rims r 235/40/19.

Many have upsized to 245/40/19 tyres, including myself.

It's more comfortable, cheaper, easier to find, and reads closer to the true GPS speed.

Screenshot_20230507-145113.thumb.png.63edb1299fa22e2878cb8c8f0765cdea.png

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 1