Start stop system stops the engine before I fully stop the car

Hello everyone!

My Superb dsg tdi 2.0 works great, but the start stop system shuts down the engine before I get my car to a full stop. It shuts down when coming to a stop, when breaking, but it does so at around 5mph. It is a bit annoying as I am used to stop the car slowly, but when engine shuts down, it stops the car more quickly, resulting in sort of uncomfortable stop.

Is this normal for this car and/or can it be changed to only stop the engine when I am at full stop? In my colleagues car of different brand, the start stop system shuts the engine only after the car completely stops.

Thanks for your answers! 

Welcome.

Sounds like you are going to have to switch off stop start then and enable once stopped if you want the car to switch off the engine.

It is quite normal on some 2.0TDI DSG VW Group vehicles. When you are used to them that do it you get to know how you can stop it happening.

Feather the brakes and the stop should not be uncomfortable.

annoyed +1

can't describe this as normal, but that is standard for all VAG cars produced in last few years 😞
with Passat B7 i were able play with pressure on the brake pedal and chose by self when engine shuts down when not

• Like 1

Welcome @iztok7.

Personally I'd just turn it off (as I do every time I start the car, and if I were technically minded enough I'd disable it permanently). I find it the most annoying feature of an otherwise fantastic car. Additionally, and particularly now my car isn't getting used so much, I don't want precious battery charge wasted on senseless VAG attempts to score points in a "save the environment" WLTP-fiddling empty gesture that gains me precisely nothing.

You may have gathered - I don't much like the start-stop function...:biggrin:

• Like 4

It is normal but you can prevent it by braking very gently to a halt as @MartiniB says. Once the car has stopped, then you can stop the engine by pressing the brake a bit harder.

3 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Welcome @iztok7.

Personally I'd just turn it off (as I do every time I start the car, and if I were technically minded enough I'd disable it permanently). I find it the most annoying feature of an otherwise fantastic car. Additionally, and particularly now my car isn't getting used so much, I don't want precious battery charge wasted on senseless VAG attempts to score points in a "save the environment" WLTP-fiddling empty gesture that gains me precisely nothing.

You may have gathered - I don't much like the start-stop function...:biggrin:

Nobody with VCDS/OBDeleven near you Jeff? It's the first thing I turn off permanently on all cars, by far the biggest gimmick in the automotive world.

Actually, it would be ok if it was just a gimmick, the issue is it can be quite upsetting and borderline dangerous in certain conditions if you aren't ready to "drive around" it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, D402 said:

you can prevent it by braking very gently

it's not that easy as with previous Passat B7 even after Brake pedal were made softer
-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/368574-vcds-options-on-superb-iii/?do=findComment&comment=5400093

7 hours ago, newbie69 said:

It's the first thing I turn off permanently on all cars

can't accept disable completely concept :)
Start-Stop memory devices leave at least choice

# Start-Stop SSA memory module
£30   https://www.ebay.com/itm/322352078637

€30   https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Emulator-Start-Stop-Memory-Module-deactivation-system-service-mode-ANLEITUNG-/223781933538

€33   https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001012474153.html

not tested !

It’s a pain in the bum. First thing I do after starting engine is press the button it’s 2nd nature now I don’t even think about doing it.

10 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

It’s a pain in the bum. First thing I do after starting engine is press the button it’s 2nd nature now I don’t even think about doing it.

Get yourself a Kufatec  module to disable it

49 minutes ago, dervdave said:

Get yourself a Kufatec  module to disable it

I'm ok Dave no problem to just press the button. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. That may sound at odds with my first post lol ! 

Edited by Nick_H
  • Like 1

There is also a small module that saves the last selected mode of the S&S.

If you switch it Off with the normal button, it remains Off on the next start. If you switch it On, it will still be On on the next start (factory mode).

This kind of module can be found easily on ebay and costs ~50€.

Not installed yet on mine, but I'm thinking about doing it. ;) 

I have often seen stop/start vehicles kind of cut off, just prior to stopping fully and have often thought it odd. I only hope the braking system is designed to accommodate this as you wouldn't want the brakes to fail before (OR after, for that matter) Stopping!

I have an ex-student, who now drives a Vauxhall Mokka and she had quite a bit of heart-stopping moments, getting used to this happening, after only ever having driven non stop-start vehicles and only my fabia within the last two years. She felt she was driving a tank, with sudden engine failure!

10 hours ago, MartiniB said:

it's not that easy as with previous Passat B7 even after Brake pedal were made softer
-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/368574-vcds-options-on-superb-iii/?do=findComment&comment=5400093

can't accept disable completely concept :)
Start-Stop memory devices leave at least choice

# Start-Stop SSA memory module
£30   https://www.ebay.com/itm/322352078637

€30   https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Emulator-Start-Stop-Memory-Module-deactivation-system-service-mode-ANLEITUNG-/223781933538

€33   https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001012474153.html

not tested !

I can't think of why anyone would like to keep this on unless they know they will be sitting in standstill traffic every day but anyway, this is not the point.

If anyone is willing to pay money for an actual device for this they should better consider buying and OBDeleven that enables VCDS levels of modifications, and not just controlling start/stop, just my 2p...

@newbie69

that is huge difference disable something completely or add device which remembers your last choice
i have OBDeleven and have option to disable,

but i like Start-Stop not because fuel economy, but i really enjoy a minute of silence when waiting on red light

• Like 2

@mrgf

The brakes were definitely designed to operate with the engines stop / start system.....  Or maybe the biggest or 2nd biggest car manufacturers in the world thought stuff that lets just not bother.

Lets hope the brakes do not fail on any vehicle regardless of the engine running or not.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MartiniB said:

@newbie69

that is huge difference disable something completely or add device which remembers your last choice
i have OBDeleven and have option to disable,

but i like Start-Stop not because fuel economy, but i really enjoy a minute of silence when waiting on red light

Well it always remembers mine as I always wanna have it off :D  On a serious note, while I agree it's not as simple as pushing a button on a special module, it takes no more than one minute or so to enable/disable the system at will with an OBDeleven, it's not permanent if you don't want it to be permanent. And the majority of people in VAG forums are looking into permanent disabling usually. So my point was that for them, spending money on something they will never operate again is kinda pointless when they can spend it on something that can disable/enable the S/S but also perform hundreds of extra modifications too.

I personally can't see what a minute of silence means though on this car. On my 272,  the engine on idle is practically silent and the only sounds come from the external environment. As a matter of fact I have turned it off a few times by mistake while sitting for a long time, thinking it was off and wanting to  turn it on again when in fact it was revving.

Unless this is also different on your car for the worse, as a few other things you've been writing about?

• Like 1

i always turn off the Start-Stop function when i start my car.

handy to switch it back on when i know i'm going to b stopped at the lights for a while.

one thing i noticed though, with Start-Stop active:-

- when driving with TJA, start-stop doesn't cut the engine until its come to a complete stop, like it should.

- when driving normally (no TJA), start-stop cuts the engine just before u completely stop, as described by the OP.

why didn't they make it the same for both operating conditions?!?!

i didn't know there was a memory module - i'll have to look into this.

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 1

What's TJA ?

I have notice this early-cutoff a few times (that I forgot to turn the whole STUPID system off)

Edited by digifish

On 15/05/2020 at 17:09, iztok7 said:

It shuts down when coming to a stop, when breaking, but it does so at around 5mph.

I am speechless by these absurdities of vag engineers for keeping low emissions. first thing i've done via obd11 was deactivation of start and stop