octavia mk3 purchase advice

with arrival of mk4, the face-lifted 2013 octavias are now discounted. is it worth it?

engine - petrol 1.0 tsi or 1.5 tsi? i own rapid with 1.0 tsi 95bhp and i am very pleased, but i'm worried about the 115bhp pushing those 3 cylinders too far...

most of all, any problems with that car from owners?

thanks

Sure plenty of owners with the 3 cylinder 1.0 litre engine are happy with the economy it gives but we have the 1.5TSi in a Karoq, which is probably close in weight to the Mk3 Octavia with worse aerodynamics yet it averages 53mpg on my 27 mile commute with a best recently of 60mpg and considering the extra poke it has whilst deals are available I would go for the bigger engine because it is quiet on a cruise and lively when extended. Emissions are low even on our Karoq at around 126gm/km, resulting in £145 road tax.

Well, the overall difference, looks small on the paper. And this is core of my inquiry, if I'll be paying extra for my naivity due to hidden costs of the smaller engine. I don't mind engine noise, I have 5 gear 1.0 tsi on my Rapid and it's pleasant to listen. To be totally honest, I like the 3 pot engine and its sound on small car. It sounds like an angry grass mower. But buying family car with 3-4 people in it is uncharted territory for me :)

Did they ever fix the 'kangarooing' issue on the 1.5s? 

Reading about that issue put me off getting a 1.5 so I got a 1.0 instead because I did not want to risk it. 

I'd be careful of the 1.5 petrol engine, got one last year in estate form, car wasn't great at low revs but had decent fuel economy. Garage offered the software update, better at low revs but fuel economy definitely down on what it was originally. No way my car would be averaging 53mpg these days, although it was close to that originally on my usual commute to what used to be known as work in the good old days!

On 17/05/2020 at 13:50, looka said:

But buying family car with 3-4 people in it is uncharted territory for me :)

As Sasha says, VW group's 3-cyl 1.0tsi is a great little engine but if carrying 3-4 people in an Octavia is a criteria, then if it were my decision, I'd only ever be looking at the 1.5tsi

Some good deals around (or was) picked up an unregistered  1.5 SEL in silver with spare wheel for £18450 on  March. 23.

from a main dealer not a broker .

Went through PCP to get the discounts and 2 years servicing for £159 but paid PCP off  . Only done 500 miles due to lockdown but appears

ok with no hesitation or kangarooing. 

3 hours ago, nbramwel said:

I have a 1.0 TSI in an Octavia SE.  More than enough power for me - I would recommend it.

Sorry to butt in on this thread but hopefully if my question gets an answer it may be useful to more than just me and the original poster

would the engine cope with two adults and two sets of fishing tackle ie 30st on the front seats and the estate cargo area full with the back seats down ? ( hence the need for an estate )

possible every other week well maybe once life gets back on some even keel, rest of the time it’s just me on my work jaunt 

The 1.0 TSI is a cracker of an engine, I was very impressed when I hired one In Ireland.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/450484-vrs-tdi-to-10-tsi/

If you are worried about the reliability ask the dealer about extending the factory warranty at the time of registration. I always do this with my new Skodas, it’s much cheaper and better than doing it after IMHO.

hehe but there is no warranty that would cover things that happen after 10years and 300.000km. and this is why i'm asking stuff here. i must say i'm not worried about time between 2 and 8 year. i've had petrol fabia 1.4 16V and it made 330.000km in 12 years without a problem and then stuff started falling apart.

some dealers already report some 200.000km 1.0 tsi engines running as on the first day, so i guess it's a better pick than the kangaroo one.

i'm from slovenia, btw, which has very peculiar way of automotive taxing - basic insurance is tied to classes, determined by horse power and road tax to engine size. because classes were made before turbochargers were the thing, 1.0 engine seemed something so stupidly small, that the road tax is 60€ yearly :)

david white, i have rapid with about same power to weight ratio as octavia 1.0 - it struggles a little bit when loaded. but... you just go a bit slower. it's not like the roads are not congested. my concern about having 1.0 tsi in octavia is, that if engine mechanics are stretched too far, because it's the strongest of the 1.0 lot, there shall be problems.

115 from a 1.0 isn’t all that much power, Ford get a lot more from their 1.0 3 cyl for example. I wouldn’t be worried about the mechanical aspect of the extra 20 ps over the 95. My Dad has the 1.0 115 in his Ibiza and it goes really well. I wouldn’t be concerned about that but if very long term reliability is a concern you prefer a 1.4 TSI as the 4 cylinder is less stressed. The Octavia isn’t a very heavy car, that also helps.