Quick Yeti question

bryanb

Hello Yeti people. Roomster owner here, thinking of buying a Yeti to replace a dying Roomie. Question is -  Does the Yeti have a towing hitch as standard. If you answer could you please tell me if there's anything I should specially watch for buying a Yeti. Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the reply, Don't know yet what model of Yeti, Looking for guidance. I need diesel, manual, Probably 2 litre ( are all diesels 2L ?) I tow a lightweight folding caravan ( 750kg)  Not sure about 2/4 wheel drive.  2wd roomster pulls it OK. Thanks again. BB

Hi Bryan.  I part-ex'd my second Roomster for a Yeti three years ago.  My one piece of advice would be: If you plan to carry a spare wheel, make sure the Yeti's boot will be big enough for your needs.  Yeti's spare wheel is not sunk into the floor like the Roomster's and it takes up a huge chunk of boot space.

11 hours ago, bryanb said:

Thanks Robjon, I've never had a car without a spare wheel.  Getting a bit nervous about a Yeti in view of that.

The pro's and con's of the spare wheel eventually come down to personal preference.  Me, I'd be nervous of a Yeti (or any car) without one.  With respect, there's nothing better than having a look for yourself.  Go find a Yeti somewhere.  With a spare, the floor is at door sill level; without, it's 7-8" lower. 

And you probably don't need the big diesel (or 4x4) to handle a lightweight folding 'van, but that's another matter!  Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi bryanb

Some towbar information, to save you searching.

The Skoda recommended towbar is made by Westfalia and has a detachable ball/swan neck which stores in the boot when not in use.

The rear silver plastic undertray is retrofitted with a rectangular detachable panel with a glued on reinforcing frame inside.

A wiring adaptor kit is required to deal with the Canbus controlled lighting.

The car electronics need to be programmed, this affects the reversing beepers and the electronic stability program.

All the above doesn't come cheap, so well worth looking for a car with it already there.

Phil Taylor Towbars in Havant have extensive experience with fitting and are recommended.

Other towbars are available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Austin 7 said:

A wiring adaptor kit is required to deal with the Canbus controlled lighting.

A dedicated wiring kit is required to deal with the Canbus lighting.

Thanks for all the tips so far. I'm baffled by SCR in the model numbers, I can figure out most of the other abbreviations though

Towbar installation is relatively expensive, so best to find one with it already fitted. It must be correctly done and linked into the car electronics so it knows when a trailer is attached, otherwise there may be stability issues when braking etc, and bulb warning failure lights. If it is scotchlocked into the wiring walk away.

All Yeti versions, both Petrol and diesel should be able to tow your caravan at that weight.

I have towed three caravans with my 2L diesel 2WD Yeti with no problems except keeping my speed down.

Last one was an Elegance Outdoor 2 WD 110ps EU6.

Edited by gumdrop

14 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

I have towed three caravans with my 2L diesel 2WD Yeti with no problems except keeping my speed down.

Last one was an Elegance Outdoor 2 WD 110ps EU6.

Thanks for that,  Is there an eaasy way to tell which models are 2wd?

11 hours ago, bryanb said:

Thanks for all the tips so far. I'm baffled by SCR in the model numbers, I can figure out most of the other abbreviations though

SCR = Selective Catalytic Reduction.  This term applies to Euro 6 compliant models which use Adblue to reduce the NOX emissions. 

• Like 1

Considering that i removed the 4x4 badge on the boot and on the gear stick, it's not always a tell...

I seem to recall that my tow bar installation including full Skoda loom at a main dealer was about £600 on my 170 (badge-less) 4x4

14 hours ago, bryanb said:

Thanks for that,  Is there an easy way to tell which models are 2wd?

I have never owned a 4x4 so cannot help, sorry. Others have indicated some methods.

Add Blue is worth having.

So you can tell if a model is 2WD by the 4x4 badge on the rear door and one on the gear lever?

Not sure what that makes mine then as it has one on the tailgate but not the gearlever unless I have missed it.

My answer would be to look under the rear axle for the presence of a differential housing.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

My answer would be to look under the rear axle for the presence of a differential housing.

Surely that's just too easy...?

Even if it has the 4x4 badge and the differential housing make sure the 4x4 is actually working as it’s not unknown for the haldex system to fail after a couple of years due to filter/ wiring issues.

OK folks that was fun.  From my point of view it's verydifficult to spot 4x4 in an online ad without scrolling through a load of irrelevent photos. 

3 hours ago, bryanb said:

OK folks that was fun.  From my point of view it's verydifficult to spot 4x4 in an online ad without scrolling through a load of irrelevent photos. 

Check the registration number out on the Govt Road Tax webpage - if you know what the co2 figures are for each engine/gearbox combination that may help?

4 hours ago, bryanb said:

I bought mine as a salvage vehicle sight unseen, all I saw were photographs and the description did not say it was a 4x4, it was only when wearing strong reading glasses that I noticed a blur on the rear tailgate, enlarging it didn't make it much clearer and only after some web research did I conclude that it must be the 4x4 badge and of course then knowing what it looked like it loked clearer on the photos.

So now I know where you are coming from I agree wholeheartedly.

Still dont think I have a gear lever badge!