272 Superb OPF stageIII

8 hours ago, Awesam said:

Did you give it a carbon clean whilst you had access to the intake manifold?

no i didn't, i am considering adding MPI, but for now I have not yet decided what to do.

I''m currently looking for improving suspension.

8 hours ago, Awesam said:

Definitely need to drop it! :D

it's not easy at all :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 01/10/2021 at 05:45, Roscio said:

quick update:

Apart from this problem i finally got the rear brake kit i ordered months ago from uk... but the wait was worth it!

IMG_9598.thumb.jpeg.c70e1a6ed71f41db976a55a943b1fc73.jpeg

IMG_9593.thumb.jpeg.4fc3496ab9fc2381fbc7141431bdb45b.jpeg

Hello very good job  , for the rear brake kit  you confirm it is the vagbremtechnic kit Rear 356x22mm Disc Upgrade Kit ?

9 hours ago, FrenchvRS said:

for the rear brake kit  you confirm it is the vagbremtechnic kit Rear 356x22mm Disc Upgrade Kit ?

Hi, yes it's the rear 2-piece 356x22 kit with J hooked (AP) discs. You have to buy Vagbremtechnic's DI0019 kit too for fitting oem calipers over those bigger discs.

Hi thanks ,, I am upgrading the braking  front with 357x34 brakes Arteon R 320cv and rear with Vagbremtechnic's DI0019 with OEM discs Audi S7 ,, 

everything should be mounted in january 

your superb is a great source of ideas 

my superb ,,, Sportline TSI 272cv  with VW Racing R600   ABT Box ,  wheel OEM Kodiaq Vega 20" and currently front disc G7 TCR ,,

superb3 photo.jpg

It is really strange that it is not faster.

0-60ft time is ok, so it has good launch, but limiter bounce kills it.

Mine with Stage 1 goes 4.23s 0-100 and 12.35 1/4 (181km/h, with 1ft rollout like Dragy it is 12.18s), but best 100-200 is 11.28s.

Measuered with 20Hz PGear.

Awesome upgrade those KW V2!!  Together with the rest of the modifications I think they have completed this new level of performance and are allowing you to use it more often and to a greater level than before.

Always wanted to be able to justify those on mine when I had it but didn't manage so I am retroactively jealous 😄 (in a positive way)

Photos are good but go on, give us some in-depth feed-back about what has changed and in what way!

PS. Still not as fast as a Mini around corners though 😁

Edited by newbie69
  • Haha 1

On 24/11/2021 at 00:07, Bingodalton said:

It is really strange that it is not faster.

0-60ft time is ok, so it has good launch, but limiter bounce kills it.

Mine with Stage 1 goes 4.23s 0-100 and 12.35 1/4 (181km/h, with 1ft rollout like Dragy it is 12.18s), but best 100-200 is 11.28s.

Yes, it should be faster. Problem is the DSG map that needs to be optimized.

But in any case i'm happy with low 9s for the 100-200.

15 hours ago, newbie69 said:

Awesome upgrade those KW V2!!  Together with the rest of the modifications I think they have completed this new level of performance and are allowing you to use it more often and to a greater level than before.

Always wanted to be able to justify those on mine when I had it but didn't manage so I am retroactively jealous 😄 (in a positive way)

Photos are good but go on, give us some in-depth feed-back about what has changed and in what way!

Yes, it was a huge improvement. And the comfort hasn't even suffered as much IMO, it's slightly stiffer than the original sport mode but much more enjoyable.
Due to the increased stiffness, it suffers much less understeer and on wet roads it is much easier to oversteer under acceleration (with a little help of a pendulum turn).

15 hours ago, newbie69 said:

PS. Still not as fast as a Mini around corners though 😁

Still not as fast as a Mini around corners. Ok? 🤣

Now I have another problem to deal with, which started when the engine mounts started to no longer hold up under strong acceleration, especially when shifting between first and second gear. So I decided to replace them, choosing the Racingline central mount because it also has the connecting rod.
Since it became almost impossible to get goods from the UK, after several weeks of waiting the seller offered me to give me the same kit in a "race" version, with more rigid supports.
I accepted and installed them, with a noticeable improvement in gear shifting, much more direct. Before the car jolted when changing gear, now it is smooth and the acceleration is constant and linear.

However, I solved a problem but I created a bigger one: vibrations.
Now the car vibrates horribly, I would define it almost undriveable in D because under 2k rpm the car chassis resonates with a very annoying noise.

f7919e52-88c1-4770-863c-dc57174f6131.thumb.jpg.422790dc08996065bfe9484e669feb10.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

I stupidly purchased non-void engine and transmission mount and the vibration was horrendous under 2k rpm.  So reverted back to the standards one and I bought this arm for a fraction of the branded ones and added in a powerflex dogbone insert which does increase NVM slightly.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000128124456.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.7b084fb8eqsrfR&algo_pvid=355a47e7-6049-445d-83dc-f9e94adc5596&algo_exp_id=355a47e7-6049-445d-83dc-f9e94adc5596-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"20000000124731992"}

I even increase the idling rpm that made a slight difference.  If you have ODB11 then its very simple to do.

I think the Revo engine and transmission mount are meant to be slightly harder the stock with a slight increase NVM however based on feedback the best ones are Superpro or BFI but they are stupidly expensive!

I may try the 034 Motorsport ones from Awesome for c £300.

Edited by Awesam
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Roscio said:

Yes, it should be faster. Problem is the DSG map that needs to be optimized.

But in any case i'm happy with low 9s for the 100-200.

Yes, it was a huge improvement. And the comfort hasn't even suffered as much IMO, it's slightly stiffer than the original sport mode but much more enjoyable.
Due to the increased stiffness, it suffers much less understeer and on wet roads it is much easier to oversteer under acceleration (with a little help of a pendulum turn).

Still not as fast as a Mini around corners. Ok? 🤣

Now I have another problem to deal with, which started when the engine mounts started to no longer hold up under strong acceleration, especially when shifting between first and second gear. So I decided to replace them, choosing the Racingline central mount because it also has the connecting rod.
Since it became almost impossible to get goods from the UK, after several weeks of waiting the seller offered me to give me the same kit in a "race" version, with more rigid supports.
I accepted and installed them, with a noticeable improvement in gear shifting, much more direct. Before the car jolted when changing gear, now it is smooth and the acceleration is constant and linear.

However, I solved a problem but I created a bigger one: vibrations.
Now the car vibrates horribly, I would define it almost undriveable in D because under 2k rpm the car chassis resonates with a very annoying noise.

f7919e52-88c1-4770-863c-dc57174f6131.thumb.jpg.422790dc08996065bfe9484e669feb10.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

When I looked at your photos, even before reading your issue I wondered, didn't this create more problems than it solved?

Unfortunately in the majority of upgraded engine mounts this is the case, despite some people saying "oh it's not that different", they probably have too much "because race-car" mentality and a higher tolerance than I do.

It's a long time since I was looking at engine mounts for the Clubsport (think they are the same for the Superb) and can't remember who was supposed to be the "mildest" one but even for that I had heard people say that it's not exactly as stock, which is to be expected, which is why I didn't proceed really.

I had a similar experience in a previous car of mine, an ordinary warm-hatch, and it was really taking away from the comfort and driveability, I can only imagine how out of place it must feel on a car like the Superb so I hope you find an alternative, or maybe the "normal" version of Racingline (is it the one with blue dampers? (instead of the reds in yours) is less harsh?

• 6 months later...

Hi @Awesam, I have no big news ... the car is spectacular as always, unfortunately I don't have much time to dedicate to it and in fact in 3 years I have only covered 17,000 km!
As for the engine mounts, i was advised to wait because they would soften over time. In fact I decided to keep them: above 2,000 rpm it does not vibrate at all, below 2,000 there is a very annoying drone. But that's not a problem for me, I only drive in S 😁.

After 3 years I can say that the complete stage 3 costs a lot (and it also costs a lot to maintain it), but I am fully satisfied with it, and if I went back I would most likely do everything the same way (or almost).

IMG_7315.thumb.jpeg.74e07d164c4bc94899dc7ab5b6358f14.jpeg

Actually there is something new, and it is that I have fallen in love with another car and I am starting to think about selling the Superb...

This saddens me a little because the Superb really has everything I could want from a car, but the car I am in love with has given me emotions just to get out of the car park where I tested it. I haven't bought it yet, but I'm seriously thinking about it.

1 hour ago, Awesam said:

I've got a few things planned!

What are you planning?

15 minutes ago, Roscio said:

Hi @Awesam, I have no big news ... the car is spectacular as always, unfortunately I don't have much time to dedicate to it and in fact in 3 years I have only covered 17,000 km!
As for the engine mounts, i was advised to wait because they would soften over time. In fact I decided to keep them: above 2,000 rpm it does not vibrate at all, below 2,000 there is a very annoying drone. But that's not a problem for me, I only drive in S 😁.

After 3 years I can say that the complete stage 3 costs a lot (and it also costs a lot to maintain it), but I am fully satisfied with it, and if I went back I would most likely do everything the same way (or almost).

Actually there is something new, and it is that I have fallen in love with another car and I am starting to think about selling the Superb...

This saddens me a little because the Superb really has everything I could want from a car, but the car I am in love with has given me emotions just to get out of the car park where I tested it. I haven't bought it yet, but I'm seriously thinking about it.

What are you planning?

Yes i agree its costs a small fortune to get to stage 3 plus i had a small fortune with some raised ironworks which destroyed my custom exhaust which was only 2 weeks old last year so that set me back.

As for maintenance I would say the only thing more frequent are oil changes and sparksplugs.  I did buy some custom engine and DSG Mounts but too them out as the NVH was too much at idle and revert back to stock.  I installed a Dogbone insert instead which has helped.

I've had the car now for 15months and the plan is to install an front strut brace, aluminium subframe, lightweight alloys, front camber adjusting mounts and then get the suspensions setup and the Meth kit wired up professionally.   Also looking into a K-brace to stiffen the rear up.

Im in 2 minds of getting all the chrome bits wrapped in black.  If i had to do again, I probably wouldn't! lol, Would stick to stage 1 with some lowering springs.  Oh yeah Im looking at some new backboxes aswell !

Its a shame that you considering selling after you've modified it to a very high standard.  I recently drove a fairly new M340i, it was nice but i preferred the Superb as the space is brillant.  Also the M340i felt slow compared to my Superb! lol

How was the Supersprint backboxes?  I can't believe how ridiculously expensive they are!  £2k for 1 backbox!!

On 06/06/2022 at 14:00, Awesam said:

How was the Supersprint backboxes?  I can't believe how ridiculously expensive they are!  £2k for 1 backbox!!

I actually paid around € 2,000 for both of them, including installation. But these have ECE approval, so I can justify the sound (or noise) the car makes if police asks me.

On 06/06/2022 at 14:00, Awesam said:

Its a shame that you considering selling after you've modified it to a very high standard.  I recently drove a fairly new M340i, it was nice but i preferred the Superb as the space is brillant.  Also the M340i felt slow compared to my Superb! lol

Yes, it's true. You're right.

Compared to the car I would like to order, I would have to accept lower performance and much less space. And, not least, I should also give up the finishes and the quality to which Skoda has accustomed us.

If I could have chosen without thinking about the economic side, the new Alpina B5 would have been perfect.

The Superb would be perfect too, if only it had 4 other cylinders forming a V ... 😄

17 hours ago, Roscio said:

I actually paid around € 2,000 for both of them, including installation. But these have ECE approval, so I can justify the sound (or noise) the car makes if police asks me.

Yes, it's true. You're right.

Compared to the car I would like to order, I would have to accept lower performance and much less space. And, not least, I should also give up the finishes and the quality to which Skoda has accustomed us.

If I could have chosen without thinking about the economic side, the new Alpina B5 would have been perfect.

The Superb would be perfect too, if only it had 4 other cylinders forming a V ... 😄

The superb 280 has no peer if space and a bit of performance is important with the least amount of money. I think many who bought this car wants exactly that combo. 

Anything else, something gives. Want to retain space and performance, pay up... But of course will get better materials and nvh..Such as in a 540 touring...heeeheee.

What do you have an eye on?

On 12/06/2022 at 00:40, KeteCantek said:

The superb 280 has no peer if space and a bit of performance is important with the least amount of money. I think many who bought this car wants exactly that combo. 

Anything else, something gives. Want to retain space and performance, pay up... But of course will get better materials and nvh..Such as in a 540 touring...heeeheee.

What do you have an eye on?

i've my eye on the V8 Ford Mustang... i have always loved the sound of american v8s. I went to see (and drive) the new Mustang Mach1, it's amazing.
Not for the performance, but for the overall experience.

I know it's a complete different car from the Superb. But you can't rule the heart.

There's only a problem, my daughter doesn't like the Mustang at all, and she is trying in every way to dissuade me from selling the superb 😅!

Mustang.thumb.jpeg.1102c48f170e47f633e2a11e62f9ef82.jpeg

• Like 2

Ah, lovely car. I agree there is more to driving than just power figures/acceleration.  

Not many NA v8 cars about anymore, get them while you can. I'd consider one of those 5.0 v8 Lexus too. 

Your daughter will get round to it soon enough lol