Hi folks, 

Hopefully you can help, got a 16 plate Diesel L&K Superb 190 hatch with 69k miles and it's showing up that the air quality sensor is faulty.

I plugged in my OBDEleven unit and the code thrown up was B10AF04.

I've not noticed any issue with the climate control system so far, but is this part an easy replacement/fix? 

Had a few other sensors throwing issues so this car seems to be a bit of a lemon, and I'd like to get it back running as it should be

Any help appreciated!

Sorry, don't have any personal experience of this myself but as there are no other replies, here a few possibilities from issues other members have had which is based on a number of sensors showing faults also:

- A weak battery can throw up all sorts of spurious faults

- Rodents eating the wiring loom

- Water ingress to sensitive electrical components (although this is taken from an older Audi forum)

Hopefully other members may add other possibilities.

1 hour ago, MaddicIrl said:

Sorry, don't have any personal experience of this myself but as there are no other replies, here a few possibilities from issues other members have had which is based on a number of sensors showing faults also:

- A weak battery can throw up all sorts of spurious faults

- Rodents eating the wiring loom

- Water ingress to sensitive electrical components (although this is taken from an older Audi forum)

Hopefully other members may add other possibilities.

Thanks for those suggestions, I had considered that the weak battery may have caused it, but even after charging that particular fault can still appear. I know others that did pop up after the battery died but this one is more consistent.

I hope there's no rodents in the car as it's moved frequently and cleaned regularly, but I think there would be far more issues if they chewed through cabling

Water ingress is possible as I clean with a powerhose but try to avoid those areas as much as possible

Monaghans in Galway told me the sensor needed to be replaced, but just wanted a second opinion or a definite answer, as they got some other things wrong about the car

On 05/06/2020 at 23:31, caoimhinoc said:

is this part an easy replacement/fix? 

I think so, yes.  I seem to remember that access is via the scuttle area of the engine bay, and access isn't too tricky.  There have definitely been a few failures documented on here so a search within this subforum for that fault code or "air quality sensor" may turn up some names of those with hands on experience of the replacement.

4 hours ago, caoimhinoc said:

Thanks for those suggestions, I had considered that the weak battery may have caused it, but even after charging that particular fault can still appear. I know others that did pop up after the battery died but this one is more consistent.

I hope there's no rodents in the car as it's moved frequently and cleaned regularly, but I think there would be far more issues if they chewed through cabling

Water ingress is possible as I clean with a powerhose but try to avoid those areas as much as possible

Monaghans in Galway told me the sensor needed to be replaced, but just wanted a second opinion or a definite answer, as they got some other things wrong about the car

If you have had battery issues, charged it but did not replace, I would replace the battery, if you have had issues (without definitive cause) its inevitable that you will need a new one anyway so better to rule it out. I suspect than even a charged but faulty battery can cause issues.

I can only go on the information provided and multiple sensor issues, I would start with a common cause I,e the battery. Clear all faults after changing the battery. You could just have the sensor replaced and see (depending on cost ofcourse)

Edited by MaddicIrl

13 minutes ago, Wino said:

Honest question. As I mentioned before; these air quality sensors are a known problem area; so why not start there?

I think I made my motives for answering @caoimhinoc request for help quite clear in my first post. Not helpful you jump to conclusions regarding said motives.

Edited by MaddicIrl

38 minutes ago, Wino said:

It's not often I've been called unhelpful on here, but you're welcome to your opinion. :)

I feel privileged to be your first 😘

Messing, happy to move on!

• Haha 1

Battery was replaced in the vehicle in 2018 but I have a hard wired dash cam that is motion activated + I travel for work so car can spend up to two weeks sat in airport car parks and generally goes dead (I'd rather the dashcam remain motion activated and occasionally have a dead battery than have an incident that the camera doesn't record) 

I was going to replace the sensor but it's 130+VAT so I was just wondering if others had similar experience or easy fixes. 

I appreciate all the suggestions folks! 

That sensor controls the re-circulation in the climate control systems. if it detects external air quality is not sufficient, it will turn off re-circ. 

it went in my car last year, and its a common hella part. 

VAG part 5q0907643b, hella HELLA 6PX 012 684-011

its located under the scuttle panel on the passenger side of an RHD car, and is a 2 minute job. 

you can quickly check the part number on yours by removing the scuttle panel.

autodoc have it for 45 pounds (https://www.autodoc.co.uk/hella/7915638) but its commonly available. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 11 months later...

I recently had the same error on a vw passat, so I replaced the sensor which cleared the error. I found the sensor underneath the black plastic section of scuttle by the windscreen wiper on the passenger side I believe the Superb has a similar arrangement. The sensor checks for pollutant entering the air intake and appears to initiate recirculation in the a/c system when the sensor is working properly. 

• 3 months later...

Hey Folks,

I've been asked to look at a local Superb III by a resident in the village.  It is a 2016 SE Business specification - nice car, but it is a little poorly.  I first arrived to a car with an engine warning management light on; the owner was convienced his car was failing (he said Lamda, but the engine warning light covers up a multitude of sins), but like a lot of VAG cars - they tend to build up faults and then not clear them down.  Lots of spurious faults as per normal (probably battery related), but the one fault we have that will not clear is the Air-Quality Warning Sensor that has malfunctioned. 

On arrival, we had:

Address 08: Auto HVAC (E87)       Labels:| 3V0-907-044.clb
   Part No SW: 3V0 907 044 AQ    HW: 3V0 907 044 AQ
   Component: AC Automat    H32 3701  
   Revision: 20K05000    Serial number: 00000B00097457
   Coding: 12110104002100011005000000101002
   Shop #: WSC 73430 790 00063
   ASAM Dataset: EV_ACClimaPrehVW37X 002012
   ROD: EV_ACClimaPrehVW37X_002_VW37.rod
   VCID: 0353898C2B945443BA0-8056

1 Fault Found:
263425 - Air Quality Sensor
          B10AF 04 [009] - Internal System Fault
          Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 3
                    Fault Frequency: 254
                    Reset counter: 20
                    Mileage: 166398 km
                    Date: 2020.03.05
                    Time: 18:39:21

Outside temperature: 4.5 °C
                    Voltage terminal 30: 14.1 V
                    System run time-Engine running time: 253 s
                    System run time-Terminal 15 on: 253 s
                    Air quality status: Malfunction

Not a happy sensor - reporting temperature was cool when it wasn't.  I've saved the full scan.

Post clear DTCs - Engine Management light is now OFF - however the Air Quality Sensor is still showing unhappy:

Address 08: Auto HVAC (E87)       Labels:| 3V0-907-044.clb
   Part No SW: 3V0 907 044 AQ    HW: 3V0 907 044 AQ
   Component: AC Automat    H32 3701  
   Revision: 20K05000    Serial number: 00000B00097457
   Coding: 12110104002100011005000000101002
   Shop #: WSC 73430 790 00063
   ASAM Dataset: EV_ACClimaPrehVW37X 002012
   ROD: EV_ACClimaPrehVW37X_002_VW37.rod
   VCID: 0353898C2B945443BA0-8056

1 Fault Found:
263425 - Air Quality Sensor
          B10AF 04 [009] - Internal System Fault
          Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 3
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 20
                    Mileage: 190391 km
                    Date: 2021.09.26
                    Time: 10:16:59

Outside temperature: 17.5 °C
                    Voltage terminal 30: 13.1 V
                    Air quality status: Malfunction

At least it is looking happier, but the sensor is obviously not a happy beano. 

I'm trying to find where the sensor is located and how you get to it - reports I've read seems to be its under the scuttle on the passenger side or drivers side.....Car is UK RHD spec.  Any pointers would be apprechiated.  I'd like to do the job myself if I can, I've got the tools....I'll check it out on erwin to see if I can find the correct part number too.

Many thanks Max

Edited by varaderoguy

It’s just under the passenger side scuttle panel (on a RHD). Undo the clips, remove the rubber seal, and pop the panel out. You’ll see the sensor (you can see the wires fir it through the grille). It’s a 5 minute job to change the sensor, no tools required. 

A1D26A59-4F2C-44E5-9929-496394C75DA7.jpeg

Thanks folks. I'll see how much the part is from Horton Skoda and get it installed. So....I have to remove the 3 clips, assume they pull off, remove the rubber surrounding and then gain access to the sensor on the passenger side. Sounds fairly easy. 

1 hour ago, varaderoguy said:

Thanks folks. I'll see how much the part is from Horton Skoda and get it installed. So....I have to remove the 3 clips, assume they pull off, remove the rubber surrounding and then gain access to the sensor on the passenger side. Sounds fairly easy. 

The metal clips will just slide off. You can't miss the AQS sensor once you take the grille off. It's mounted just using a clip. 

Actually, see those two round tabs underneath the windscreen? You might have to pop them off and undo a screw under each of them too - I can't quite remember now. So maybe there's one tool involved. Even so, it's really easy. I got my Superb in August and the AQS was throwing an error, so it was the first thing I did on the car.

I got my part from skoda-parts.com. I paid €52.81 for the Chinese version. Skoda OEM part is €93.90 there, and there's a German 3rd party part for €69.02 - just to give you an indication of the prices.

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/5q0907643c-air-quality-sensor-de-40156.html

Edited by GregorSamsa
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have a 2015 and a 2016, both sensors have failed. Not bothered replacing them, I usually reach for the recirculation button when I see a diesel belching out fumes ahead, probably quicker than the sensor would react!

• Like 1

The part number for the sensor is:

5Q0907643C

What came out of the car was

5Q0907643B

So a different and earlier revision that seems to effect how the sensor operates. Client is happy. I've got to fix a glow plug now for the same client....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, varaderoguy said:

The part number for the sensor is:

5Q0907643C

What came out of the car was

5Q0907643B

So a different and earlier revision that seems to effect how the sensor operates. Client is happy. I've got to fix a glow plug now for the same client....

Did you have clear faults or anything or did the sensor just work when refitted?