Facelifted Karoq seen

CJJE

The SEAT Ateca has just been updated, and now the Karoq is following suit!

Skoda-Karoq-3.jpg

Skoda-Karoq-7.jpg

I'd guess it's due mid to late 2021 (so MY22) as the Kodiaq will be getting its facelift version late-2020 to early 2021.

According to Carscoops.com:

"An updated version of the Skoda Karoq is being readied for the market, although it certainly won’t be radically overhauled from the exiting model.

The Skoda Karoq hit the market back in 2017 as a replacement to the beloved Yeti and while it hasn’t garnered quite the same cult-like following of the Yeti, it has proven itself to be a good crossover. As these spy images reveal, the car manufacturer will largely stick with its winning formula in updating the Karoq.

Visually, alterations made to this prototype are minor. Despite camouflage covering up the front and rear fascias, we can see that the Skoda will benefit from a newly-designed grille and may also sport different headlights with new graphics.

The camouflage at the rear does a good job at hiding what Skoda’s designers have been up to but when the facelifted Karoq does land, we expect it to feature new taillights and a new rear bumper.

If the carmaker sticks with the typical mid-cycle facelift formula, a series of small updates can be expected for the cabin of the 2021 Skoda Karoq as well. This will likely include a new-and-improved infotainment system while the same overall layout of the current model will likely be maintained.

We can’t yet say with certainty what engines the updated Karoq will be available with. However, many of the engines from the current model, including 1.0-liter TSI and 1.5-liter TSI petrol engines with 113 hp (115 PS) and 148 hp (150 PS) respectively, could be maintained. A selection of diesel engines can also be expected, including at least two different 2.0-liter options. Skoda may tweak the available engines to lower their CO2 emissions."

So nothing to get too excited about, I'm just waiting to see what changes are coming for the MY21 car!

• Like 1

I thought it may be my senior eyesight - couldn't detect any 'standout' detail - looks like a pretty basic model?

Strictly speaking it probably isn't a facelifted car that's been photographed. But look at what it's towing / the electric connection from the trailer to the car. My guess is the photo is of the current Karoq being tested with a different engine.  

Looks like a basic spec car with 17" alloys and black window trim and black roof rails as SEL models get silver trim around the windows, silver roof rails and 18" alloys as standard. The new updated model probably has the S K O D A lettering moved to a new position on the tailgate.

Will a face-lifted Karoq be here in time for plate change in Sept (Aug?) whenever the next one is.

I was going to ask in any case if there's anywhere that tells of whatever changes are due for this years model, assuming Skoda are like Ford and do their yearly changes in the autumn.

Edited by tgo

1 minute ago, tgo said:

Will a facelifted Karoq be here in time for plate change in Sept (Aug?) whenever the next one is.

Unlikely our Karoq was the first in our County back in January 2018 so it is likely that March 2021 would be the earliest date for the facelift version as Skoda usually plan 7 year model cycles.:mmm:

No all the indications are that there will be some minor changes for the MY21 cars from August or so, similar to the ones for MY19 and MY20. These were either cost-cutting changes - like deleting the IsoFix covers and removing one of the moveable hooks in the boot - or the improved KESSY key and wider coverage for the blind spot detector. 

The facelifted model is unlikely to appear before Spring 2021 in my opinion as Skoda will want to launch the facelifted Kodiaq first (and that seems to have been delayed by Covid from July to autumn.)

Chris 

STOP PRESS!

Skoda have just announced the changes for the Karoq for MY21...

New entry-level diesel for the ŠKODA KAROQ
In the 2021 model year, the ŠKODA KAROQ is available with optional tri-zone Climatronic air conditioning for the first time and can now be equipped with Area View and Trailer Assist too – just like the KODIAQ. When switching its engine portfolio to the Euro 6d standard, ŠKODA is replacing the previous entry-level 115-PS (85-kW) 1.6 TDI diesel with an equally powerful 2.0 TDI from the new EVO generation. In terms of exhaust gas treatment, it uses the ‘twin dosing’ process – just like the 2.0 TDI delivering 150 PS (110 kW), which is replacing the previous 1.6 TDI and is available with all-wheel drive and a DSG as well as front-wheel drive and a manual gearbox. The entry-level 1.0 TSI petrol engine will generate 110 PS (81 kW).

Full details for all Skoda cars at https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-releases/countless-new-features-introduced-to-skoda-portfolio-for-2021-model-year/

Chris

"The most striking change being made to ŠKODAs for the 2021 model year is their redesigned steering wheels."

Hardly exciting news by Skoda, I can't wait.........😴 

Something was 'Lost in translation' from the engineers in Germany & the media spin in German to those doing a website / media release in the CZ and Czech to English.

'Skoda is replacing the previous entry-level 115-PS (85kW) 1.6TDI with an equally low powered 2.0 TDI from the new EVO generation.'

or just 'of equal power!' from the 1.6TDI and this 2.0TDI with engine management to get the WLTP and RDE2 that they needed to get.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot
  • Haha 1

On 25/06/2020 at 11:37, CJJE said:

Skoda is replacing the previous entry level 115PS 1.6TDI diesel with an equally powerful 2.0TDI.

The 115PS 2.0TDI is more powerful than the 115PS 1.6TDI throughout most of its rev range. The 115PS is just peak power. At lower revs the power of the 2.0TDI will be more than the 1.6TDI.

The bigger engine has maximum torque of 300Nm compared to only 250Nm from the smaller engine. The bigger engine will be way more powerful from 1,500rpm to 2,500rpm than the smaller engine.

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gabi4 said:

Indeed, if only the capacity differs, the 2.0, being bigger, will have a better torque at low revs. But if you add another turbo to the 1.6, the situation will change!

It looks like the 115PS 2.0TDI is more economical than the 115PS 1.6TDI. Adding another turbo to the 1.6TDI will make it even less economical. You only have to look at the fuel economy and emissions of the bi-turbo 240PS 2.0TDI to realise that there's a price to pay for all that performance.

Edited by Carlston

Looks like.  That is all it is about, getting WLTP and RDE2 results that the VW group can get away with for a while and not get pemalties over emission averages until they can produce and sell enough EV,s rather than just talking about them. Some Mild Hybrids punted and larger capacity diesels with SCR and kick the can down the road a few years.

This new EA288 diesel was described in a mid Dec 2019 Autocar, when it first appeared in the Golf Mk8 TDI.  The lower power version also replaces the old 1.6 in the Golf.  VAG claim it is cleaner than petrol models, but more referring to NOx (cut by 80% compared to previous diesels) than the smallest, most dangerous, particulates.  It uses 2 catalytic conversion units, working at different temperature ranges.  Mechanical losses in the emgine are said to be much lower, improving petrol consumption by around 17%.  Autocar found the engine a little noisy when pulling away from junctions, but very quiet at steady speed say on a motorway.

Whilst writing, there doesn't seem to be any plans to offer in the Karoq, the lower power more economical 1.5 ACT petrol engine using Miller cycle technology, that appeared in the Golf.  I forget it's name and can't find any links just now, but I think it's around 130hp.  I've not seen any reviews nor heard comment about this engine.  I'd have thought it might suit the Karoq rather well.

2 hours ago, croquemonsieur said:

I'd have thought it might suit the Karoq rather well.

I'd have thought it was underpowered........😉

I suppose it might suit someone....?

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/03/20180319-vw15.html

Edited by Phil245

I now see that this engine is also in the Tiguan and Golf SV, the latter with 0-60 just under 10secs, probably similar size & weight to Karoq - not bad to my mind, but I suppose it depends on how performance is delivered.  My former Saab 9-5 with maybe similar 0-60 was in fact much livelier in every day driving than the BMW 523 E39 that it replaced - that theoretically had rather better 0-60 times.  Didn't use the full performance of either car that much, just tried out a few times.