Time for an engine refurb?

3 hours ago, TMB said:

I like how they bunged all the holes up on the new engine. I wonder where they get those proper bungs from....

Hehe, I thought "wow, look, they even found oval bungs that exactly fit the exhaust ports!", but then looked closer and saw that they're just round ones squished to fit. :biggrin:

It was very nicely extracted and prepped for shipping and fitting though. Whole loom still intact ready to just plug in at ECU and 14-way. bay connector, and so many bits left on,

• Like 1

Thanks mate.

I received the replacement dogbone mount (and bolts) yesterday so that went on this morning, in the coldest conditions I've ever worked in.

Everything metal that I touched felt like it was freshly arrived from Antarctica!

Anyway, the happy news is that I had correctly identified it as the cause of a nasty metal-on-metal hard/deep noise at idle, and was a bit surprised by how it had broken.

The last one I changed, not long ago, on my Polo had become unbonded between the central ali bit and the rubber of the bush, this was worse...

Engine now lovely and quiet and running sweetly. 

20210213_133814.jpg

Edited by Wino
  • Like 2

If only I could blame her;  but I'm pretty confident that the damage to the engine mount was caused by the hideous jerking of the engine at clutch engagement that featured in the car's recent history getting on for a year ago. 

That same problem with the clutch that was almost certainly due to my own clumsiness when changing the gearbox a year or whatever it was before that. :crying:

Making mistakes is part of learning. :biggrin:

Gotta book it in for MOT now, hopefully that won't bring any new dramas! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i have thoroughly enjoyed reading thsi thread :) 

so happy that you have sorted it mate :) 

if i had to change an engine, i wouldnt know where to start so kudos to you :) 

Thanks.

An engine change sounds drastic, but is surprisingly easy (given a safe way of lifting and supporting one, i.e. an engine crane, which my workplace happens to have).

Nuts and bolts, plumbing and some electrical connections. 

Much, much easier than the messing about with taking apart the old one and laboriously rebuilding it; and far more successful, with the benefit of hindsight. Really wish I'd listened to @StevesTruck and taken the plunge earlier.

Timing was very lucky for me; a low mileage, surprisingly cheap engine came up on ebay days before the owner/main driver said "my engine's sounding really, really bad recently".

It passed MOT a few days after my last post with pleasingly low emissions numbers, and it runs beautifully smoothly and quietly. :biggrin:

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

😊

Thanks for asking.

'New' engine is serving us very well.

Done a couple of little jobs on it very recently, Coolant temperature sensor (2004 vintage) started throwing fault codes and a warning light last week - proud of the missus for scanning it while out and about with handheld tool that lives in the glovebox. That got swapped out for another I had sitting around. Faults gone.

While doing that I noticed that the little heatshield on the exhaust manifold was hanging on by one screw, so I bunged a replacement on yesterday.

MOT a month back mentioned (nothing but) deterioration of the fuel hose that I'd replaced (with new, generic) at the time of the swap. Tester said he himself was struggling to find aftermarket stuff that didn't crack, and to let him know if I found anything decent! I decided to grab a genuine replacement from Skoda, hopefully that won't go the same way. 

About another 5k til the car passes 200k miles, I think. 

Oh, and a nice man in a big van came and took away all my scrap metal for me on Saturday, including the old engine, after I'd stripped it of all the possibly useful bits. 😁

• Like 4

that is brilliant to hear! 

did you teach your wife how to scan or did she pick it up herself?

you already done 200k after 2 years? where did you go? :D