Timing belt

8 hours ago, evtilsley said:

Sorry I should have stated atop... Mine's a 2.0l diesel vRS. Think is around 40K miles. Mileage only gently creeps up even pre lock-down

There have been numerous debates on this forum which don’t ever reach a definitive answer, so I don’t get involved anymore.

But as your original question has been lost in the debate, here is my opinion *.

For your Diesel vRS the Skoda workshop manual says replace the timing belt at 210,000 km (130000 miles), no mention of time.

Skoda uk will say that mileage, or 5 years whichever comes first.

From what I have read on this forum, there is a potential issue with the water pumps failing on these tdi engines, there are many reports of overheating due to pumps failing. Therefore if I had a tdi I would replace the timing belt and water pump at 5 years, on the basis that I want a reliable car.

*Opinions given are my own, usually dispensed from my armchair, or sofa, whichever comes first.

• Like 1

Mines 5 years old, 50k miles and i only have four payments left on it so I will get the cambelt and waterpump changed then. I'm not worried about it as i'm sure a cambelt can go for more than 50k irrespective of age. 

I've been quoted 

• Cambelt Kit & Water Pump - £491.09 inc VAT, Parts & Labour.

Is that reasonable? Skoda want £549

10 hours ago, SkodaKing said:

Mines 5 years old, 50k miles and i only have four payments left on it so I will get the cambelt and waterpump changed then. I'm not worried about it as i'm sure a cambelt can go for more than 50k irrespective of age. 

I've been quoted 

• Cambelt Kit & Water Pump - £491.09 inc VAT, Parts & Labour.

Is that reasonable? Skoda want £549

I'm about to start gathering quotes for the same, so that's a good starting figure for me to work from.

Thanks

17 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

For an extra £50 I would go main dealer unless you totally trust your garage as people have been known to do them wrong.

I know you used to get 2 years skoda parts and labour warranty if you let the dealers do them 

• Like 1

On 07/07/2020 at 17:47, seriesdriver said:

I know you used to get 2 years skoda parts and labour warranty if you let the dealers do them 

Not relevant for this forum but interestingly SEAT UK recently announced a 5yr parts and labour warranty for cambelt service. I wonder if that'll only applies when fitted to SEAT badged cars? :thinking: 

If anyone is after a cambelt change then it's always worthwhile quoting this SEAT offer - will Skoda match both price AND warranty match?  

SEAT_Cam.thumb.JPG.bdcbeda054f6346812e982d28b6d4da8.JPG

Edited by Guest

On 06/07/2020 at 23:53, cheezemonkhai said:

For an extra £50 I would go main dealer unless you totally trust your garage as people have been known to do them wrong.

Why is an independent more like to do it wrong than a dealer?

39 minutes ago, Saints92 said:

Why is an independent more like to do it wrong than a dealer?

A good Indy isn’t, but there are some less good ones out there.

The reason I suggested the dealer for £50 extra is the 2 years warranty from a dealer when fitting genuine parts.

On a can belt I would say that’s rather useful for such a small cost.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

On 12/07/2020 at 08:18, Nickj633 said:

Had mine changed at a trusted independent a month or so ago. Belt and water pump for £375 all in.

Wow.. my local (good) indy is asking me north of £600

Can you PM me your guy in case close enough ??!

• 1 year later...

My father just had his Fabia mk3 cambelt changed and offered it to me to fit on my Octavia- no wear or stretch at all at 5 years old haha. My mechanic friend does lots of cambelts and hasnt seen a bad one for years- the material used now is far superior to what they used years ago plus a lot of modern engines dont run the cambelt around the water pump any more which reduces the stress and stretching too. My best friend totally neglected his 10 year old Honda Space shuttle never serviced it for the last years- didnt have any money to do so unfortunately ,cambelt had gone past the service by 5 years and he still had no issue with it- modern petrol engines sure are better than they used to be!

Thinking of belts - i have had a Bosch washing machine from new for 23 years now- 2 sets of motor brushes, one drain pump are the only parts that have been replaced- but the belt still looks like brand new! My Citroen diesel engine cambelt was recommended change by the manufacturer- note not dealerships- 10 years, so i changed at 10 years- no stretch and still looked brand new- bearing in mind diesel engines are much harsher than petrol too!

So after reading what i have written do you not think perhaps that all UK dealerships are in this Cambelt change together- i was told originally belt is for life on these cars and had a printout that was from Skoda factory, then Bristol Street Motors who gave me this printout - i was apparently given it by mistake when i questioned it a second time and told its a change every 5 years- you all make your own mind up and i will let you know in another 4 years how my belt is doing- car will be 10 year old then when i think i will change it for the first time.

Edited by Michaeldavis39
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Michaeldavis39 said:

So after reading what i have written do you not think perhaps that all UK dealerships are in this Cambelt change together- i was told originally belt is for life on these cars and had a printout that was from Skoda factory, then Bristol Street Motors who gave me this printout - i was apparently given it by mistake when i questioned it a second time and told its a change every 5 years- you all make your own mind up and i will let you know in another 4 years how my belt is doing- car will be 10 year old then when i think i will change it for the first time.

I've run this by quite a few mechanics as well and it's surprising how some who were previously working for VAG brands are adamant that it's about mileage and not time on these long life belts. 

My car is six years old, with 130,000km. I'm going to wait until it's at 150,000 or 7 years old before changing it and the only reason I'm not doing the full 210k is because my coolant mysteriously drained off before so I reckon the water pump is on the way out - and don't think it'll last the full distance!

On a side note - I get the impression that the PD engines were far more aggressive on a timing belt than on the CR engines. Would this be right?

Edited by foregonereality

14 hours ago, Michaeldavis39 said:

My father just had his Fabia mk3 cambelt changed and offered it to me to fit on my Octavia- no wear or stretch at all at 5 years old haha. My mechanic friend does lots of cambelts and hasnt seen a bad one for years- the material used now is far superior to what they used years ago plus a lot of modern engines dont run the cambelt around the water pump any more which reduces the stress and stretching too. My best friend totally neglected his 10 year old Honda Space shuttle never serviced it for the last years- didnt have any money to do so unfortunately ,cambelt had gone past the service by 5 years and he still had no issue with it- modern petrol engines sure are better than they used to be!

Thinking of belts - i have had a Bosch washing machine from new for 23 years now- 2 sets of motor brushes, one drain pump are the only parts that have been replaced- but the belt still looks like brand new! My Citroen diesel engine cambelt was recommended change by the manufacturer- note not dealerships- 10 years, so i changed at 10 years- no stretch and still looked brand new- bearing in mind diesel engines are much harsher than petrol too!

1 hour ago, foregonereality said:

I've run this by quite a few mechanics as well and it's surprising how some who were previously working for VAG brands are adamant that it's about mileage and not time on these long life belts. 

My car is six years old, with 130,000km. I'm going to wait until it's at 150,000 or 7 years old before changing it and the only reason I'm not doing the full 210k is because my coolant mysteriously drained off before so I reckon the water pump is on the way out - and don't think it'll last the full distance!

On a side note - I get the impression that the PD engines were far more aggressive on a timing belt than on the CR engines. Would this be right?

The timing belt itself is only part of the issue, many "cambelt" failures are actually tensioner failures. My car is now 12 years old if I still have it in a few years I may well take the calculated risk not to get the belt done again as the car will have little value if the belt did break. 

I also believe that the pd engines are harder on belts due to their design.

• Like 1

My 1.6Tdi is 5 years old in September and has just past 52k. Going in for a cambelt and water pump change along with MOT in middle of September. I haven't scrimped on servicing and don't wish to ruin what is a good car as intend to keep a while longer. 

Just to update everyone. Out of curiosity I e-mailed a Dresden based dealer via Google Translate and they were kind enough, despite my lack of knowledge in German, to let me know the timing belt interval

- according to your FIN number your vehicle July 2015 Skoda Octavia RS 184bhp is not due a belt change until 210,000km or July 2025. 

So they're of the opinion that it's ten years. Which I also find intriguing!

Excellent news- as i said i was "accidentally" given the Skoda manufacturers information print out regarding cam belt change last year by Bristol Street Motors Skoda dealership by a young man in the service dept- he had not been there very long and was still learning the ropes but couldn't be more helpful-  if i find it i will post it on here - but when i visited the same dealership two months later i was told by the service manager different information- he printed out the Bristol Street Motors Skoda service guide- not the Skoda manufacturer guide because none of the uk dealerships use that the uk has its own guide. How much revenue would these dealerships lose if none of the Skoda cambelts were changed until they were 10 years old - and lets face it a cambelt kit for less than a hundred pounds and a couple of hrs labour is a very nice little earner the price they charge isnt it- nearly as profitable as popcorn and coffee!

• 2 months later...
On 04/07/2020 at 17:53, roottoot said:

240,000 km / 150,000 miles might mean they would never be getting inspected then.  

Maybe just failing sometime after the car is over 10 years or 20 years even.

my O3 1.4 tsi has done 230.000 km and is from May 2014. My local dealer in Holland advised replacement last year. "if it was my car" he said (in Dutch), "I wouldn't take the risk". Inspection of the belt he would not do, because it might look fine, but still be bad. First he said it was chain driven. Shows the level of in depth knowledge. It is still running on it's first belt. Today I inquired at the dealer in Belgium and he advised against replacement.

• Like 2