DSG or not DSG that is the question?

Have, after much searching of brokers Carwow, Drive the Deal etc decided to change my Kodiaq. 
I’m looking at a Sportline model but am undecided whether I want a manual or DSG gearbox.

Ive always gone for a manual but many of my friends and neighbours favour an automatic.

Whats the general consensus of opinion. I know automatics are less economical and cost more but what are the benefits?

I have the 2.0 TSI and have just switched to a DSG from a manual Octavia. I would never have considered it previously but was bored with constant gear changes when driving about town. It is nice to be able to just cruise smoothly without having to worry about it. Modern DSGs are so much less laggy than old ones. The suggestion is that fuel economy with a double clutch DSG is now very similar to a manual gear boxes too.

The main benefit as far as I am concerned is the ease of use. No fumbling for a gear lever while cornering and accelerating up slip roads. No constant pressing on a clutch in slow moving traffic. Automatic downshifts when descending hills. 

I switched when I bought a Golf Plus 1.6TDI 9 years ago. Then it was a given when I bought my present Golf SV 1.4TSI 5 1/2 years ago. My new Karoq will also be a DSG 2.0TSI because I couldn't face going back to a manual gearbox now. 

But perhaps it does depend on your driving style. I find the DSG encourages a smoother gentler driving style (and the MPG is still pretty good as far as I am concerned) and when I need hard acceleration to overtake it's easy to snick it back into Sport mode to downshift. Others who prefer a 'sporty' driving style may argue that they find a DSG box jerky and slow to change gears at junctions. 

I'd suggest you take one on a decent test drive to see how you get on with one. 

The difference in mpg between DSG and manual is very small. You can 'manual shift' with the DSG and there are different driving 'modes' in auto. Can't see a situation where I would go back to a manual. 

Wouldn’t go back to a manual now I’m on my second DSG, as others have said easy driving and smooth. If you want a bit more control you can get steering wheel paddles, but I never found it necessary.

Disadvantages are that I believe they are slightly heavier, and they need an oil change every 40 (or 80) thousand miles dependent on the model with the wet clutch versions.

On the other hand manual boxes will eventually be assigned to history with the rise of electric cars and the demise of the IC engine, so enjoy them while they last.

In a manual car you control the clutch directly via the left foot pedal and can feel it engaging. In a car with DSG you control when the clutch engages indirectly via the engine revs, and this is a bit less precise. Most of the time this doesn't matter, but occasionally more precise control is desirable, e.g. when shuffling backwards and forwards in a tight parking space, or on a car ferry when you have already stopped and then need to get a few inches closer to the vehicle in front. This is just a slight inconvenience with DSG, and it gets easier with practice and familiarity with the vehicle.  Apart from this, DSG is generally easier, particularly in stop start traffic queues.

With DSG there is more to go wrong and repairs are likely to be more costly, but these days they seem to be reasonably reliable. May be worth considering an extended warranty.

Regarding economy the official test figures suggest there is not much difference between DSG and manual. I tend to think that in real world driving there is more scope to adopt an economical driving style in a manual car, although the DSG has its own eco mode.

Arguably a manual car offers a more involving driving experience. The DSG has the facility to change gears manually, but I think most drivers will be happy to just let it do its own thing.

On the whole I prefer DSG, mainly due to greater ease of use in most situations. I have owned my Octavia Scout DSG for almost 5 years and am still very happy with it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OldBoyScout said:

In a car with DSG you control when the clutch engages indirectly via the engine revs, and this is a bit less precise. Most of the time this doesn't matter, but occasionally more precise control is desirable, e.g. when shuffling backwards and forwards in a tight parking space, or on a car ferry when you have already stopped and then need to get a few inches closer to the vehicle in front. This is just a slight inconvenience with DSG, and it gets easier with practice and familiarity with the vehicle.  Apart from this, DSG is generally easier, particularly in stop start traffic queues.

I haven't found that the DSG gives any difficulty at all in tight manœuvres and fine adjustment of position.  In fact, allowing the car to “creep” makes such adjustments particularly easy.

What does make fine adjustment difficult is the auto hold of the brakes - but that’s nothing to do with the DSG, and can be turned off temporarily.

• Like 1

After 40+ years of driving manual cars, my current Kodiaq is the first DSG I’ve ever driven, and I don’t think I’d ever go back to manual now. 

After the learning curve of the first week you soon master feathering the brake pedal which allows the car to creep without the autohold coming on, or as above turning it off for certain manoeuvres. 

1 hour ago, DaveMiller said:

What does make fine adjustment difficult is the auto hold of the brakes - but that’s nothing to do with the DSG, and can be turned off temporarily.

Must be something different making fine adjustment a bit difficult in my car, as my 2015 Octavia Scout does not have auto hold. Hopefully my other comments are helpful to you Kodiaq people.

When I ordered my Kodiaq I ordered a manual, I’ve always driven manuals, apart from a few hire cars and much prefer driving manual.

When my car arrived at the dealer all was well except it had been built with a DSG Gearbox.   Much discussion took place and I was told, that they weren’t putting manual gearboxes in the 1.5TSi anymore.   I didn’t believe it then and still don’t as you can still order one.      I didn’t want to wait another 4 months for another car to be built though.

I accepted the DSG as I got a good deal on it,   I’ve done 1200 miles in 6 weeks.   I don’t think I will ever get a manual again.   I’m really glad I accepted the DSG now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kenny R said:

After 40+ years of driving manual cars, my current Kodiaq is the first DSG I’ve ever driven, and I don’t think I’d ever go back to manual now. 

After the learning curve of the first week you soon master feathering the brake pedal which allows the car to creep without the autohold coming on, or as above turning it off for certain manoeuvres. 

Those who complain about the auto hold system need more practice ‘finessing’ the brakes. It’s not like torque converters with auto hold are much different. 

10 hours ago, GrowlingDog said:

When I ordered my Kodiaq I ordered a manual, I’ve always driven manuals, apart from a few hire cars and much prefer driving manual.

When my car arrived at the dealer all was well except it had been built with a DSG Gearbox.   Much discussion took place and I was told, that they weren’t putting manual gearboxes in the 1.5TSi anymore.   I didn’t believe it then and still don’t as you can still order one.      I didn’t want to wait another 4 months for another car to be built though.

I accepted the DSG as I got a good deal on it,   I’ve done 1200 miles in 6 weeks.   I don’t think I will ever get a manual again.   I’m really glad I accepted the DSG now.

That is a bold statement from the dealer that they are no longer putting manual gearboxes in the 1.5TSi.  Did they let you have the car for the price of the manual?

Cheers,

Paul

On 30/08/2020 at 00:15, Greenliner1 said:

Wouldn’t go back to a manual now I’m on my second DSG, as others have said easy driving and smooth. If you want a bit more control you can get steering wheel paddles, but I never found it necessary.

Disadvantages are that I believe they are slightly heavier, and they need an oil change every 40 (or 80) thousand miles dependent on the model with the wet clutch versions.

On the other hand manual boxes will eventually be assigned to history with the rise of electric cars and the demise of the IC engine, so enjoy them while they last.

Bizarrely this was one consideration in my choosing a manual.

The other is that I went for a 1.5 Petrol and felt the manual could be used to eek out more power if and when I needed it (I very rarely do btw).

It was also cheaper than a DSG and, in all probability will be less trouble in the long run (I intend to keep the car for at least 6 or 7 years, hopefully more). 

2 hours ago, ceepan said:

That is a bold statement from the dealer that they are no longer putting manual gearboxes in the 1.5TSi.  Did they let you have the car for the price of the manual?

Cheers,

Paul

I got a very good deal, which is a key reason why I accepted it.   I certainly wasn't paying more.

6 hours ago, xspartx said:

Bizarrely this was one consideration in my choosing a manual.

The other is that I went for a 1.5 Petrol and felt the manual could be used to eek out more power if and when I needed it (I very rarely do btw).

In practice, I find snicking the DSG lever back into Sport mode from my normal Eco mode gives me ample oomph for overtaking, and it's probably quicker than downshifting a manual gearbox and then having to shift up again and your speed increases :)

Chris