KPH/MPH

Ok so update as i forgot last night…

got a call to say they think they may of found the issue (its with a different skoda dealer as was fed up of mine making excuses like these problems dont exist or its the way im driving)

so remember that big update in dec/jan…

that update was to fix everything im experiencing and was meant to be pushed before the more dangerous things happen like the stalling so…

they have checked and when dealers do these updates they leave some kind of files but these files dont exist so this leads to 3 possibilities as we are waiting for skoda to verify if it got done or not

1) my skoda dealer never actaully did the update - this is what they think

2) the tool used for updates apparently they only found out 1-2 months ago you have to use a certain one as other wise the updates dont actually take effect properly so maybe other dealers dont know this yet? 

3) it could of been done and for some reason theres just no logs of if

if its number 3 they will investigate further but seems ive had more help in 1 day off these guys then i have of my main dealer in 5-6 months.

also i asked for the guys with mph/km issue and they said there is meant to be a fix on the way.

so once they get a call from skoda to let us know if it got done or not or if they used wrong system to update ill let you guys know as this could potentially fix all our issues!

Edited by Matmacka

57 minutes ago, Matmacka said:

Ok so update as i forgot last night…

got a call to say they think they may of found the issue (its with a different skoda dealer as was fed up of mine making excuses like these problems dont exist or its the way im driving)

so remember that big update in dec/jan…

that update was to fix everything im experiencing and was meant to be pushed before the more dangerous things happen like the stalling so…

they have checked and when dealers do these updates they leave some kind of files but these files dont exist so this leads to 3 possibilities as we are waiting for skoda to verify if it got done or not

1) my skoda dealer never actaully did the update - this is what they think

2) the tool used for updates apparently they only found out 1-2 months ago you have to use a certain one as other wise the updates dont actually take effect properly so maybe other dealers dont know this yet? 

3) it could of been done and for some reason theres just no logs of if

if its number 3 they will investigate further but seems ive had more help in 1 day off these guys then i have of my main dealer in 5-6 months.

also i asked for the guys with mph/km issue and they said there is meant to be a fix on the way.

so once they get a call from skoda to let us know if it got done or not or if they used wrong system to update ill let you guys know as this could potentially fix all our issues!

Pleased for you it is certainly sounding more positive Let's hope that they are on the right track. 

Pleased to hear you may have a solution, could still be down to Skoda not telling the dealers what they should be doing which in itself is an issue for their aftercare. A good dealer is worth their weight in gold.

Got this back from HJ this morning (see below), soon after sending off my details. Just need one more person to send their details through and it will be sent.

Many thanks.

I've received 6 lists of complaints and 5 owners details to go with them. Just waiting for one more and I'll get them all off to Skoda in a collated list.

Rgds, best wishes and stay safe,

HJ

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OctaviaFirstEdit said:

Got this back from HJ this morning (see below), soon after sending off my details. Just need one more person to send their details through and it will be sent.

Many thanks.

I've received 6 lists of complaints and 5 owners details to go with them. Just waiting for one more and I'll get them all off to Skoda in a collated list.

HJ

Come on fellow owners, you've got nothing to loose.

8 hours ago, OctaviaFirstEdit said:

Many thanks.

HJ

yeah sorry i was the other one who never passed details, email sent so he should now have the 5/5

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Matmacka said:

yeah sorry i was the other one who never passed details, email sent so he should now have the 5/5

Fab, it will be interesting to see what they come back with. It had better not be that 'they are working on it'. There is nothing to work on! They know the issue, just replace the unit, pretty simple really!

17 minutes ago, OctaviaFirstEdit said:

Fab, it will be interesting to see what they come back with. It had better not be that 'they are working on it'. There is nothing to work on! They know the issue, just replace the unit, pretty simple really!

yeah exactly, hopefully we get some where with this

Early days with my car (1.5TSI SEL 1st Ed), today is day 7; it was registered in September 2020.

I too suffer with the inability to change the speedo to Km/h and the SatNav displays Km not miles - and I can’t change either in the settings. Additionally, the settings option to change the headlights for continental driving (Travel Mode) does not exist. 

Looking at the system information I have...

Part Number 5E3035816
H/W H56
S/W 1668

... which is common with those others on hear with the same km/h-mph issue. Do you also have the Travel Mode headlights issue?

I am in email dialogue with my dealer, who to date have been OK - but early days as I mention. My latest email refers to this forum thread and the common fault; I’ll wait their response before contacting Honest John.

1 hour ago, sneal said:

Early days with my car (1.5TSI SEL 1st Ed), today is day 7; it was registered in September 2020.

I too suffer with the inability to change the speedo to Km/h and the SatNav displays Km not miles - and I can’t change either in the settings. Additionally, the settings option to change the headlights for continental driving (Travel Mode) does not exist. 

Looking at the system information I have...

Part Number 5E3035816
H/W H56
S/W 1668

... which is common with those others on hear with the same km/h-mph issue. Do you also have the Travel Mode headlights issue?

I am in email dialogue with my dealer, who to date have been OK - but early days as I mention. My latest email refers to this forum thread and the common fault; I’ll wait their response before contacting Honest John.

There is nothing that the dealer will be able to do. They will ask you to take it in and tell you there is a fix on the way! Definately see what they can do but I would also recommend contacting HJ. The more people that do it, the more chance we might get Skoda to act.

Not sure about the Travel Mode, didn't even know that existed. I will look but don't recall seeing it.

• Love it! 1

48 minutes ago, OctaviaFirstEdit said:

There is nothing that the dealer will be able to do. They will ask you to take it in and tell you there is a fix on the way! Definately see what they can do but I would also recommend contacting HJ. The more people that do it, the more chance we might get Skoda to act.

Not sure about the Travel Mode, didn't even know that existed. I will look but don't recall seeing it.

I totally agree.  Now we have managed to get HJ on board we do need to keep up the momentum and give him all the help he needs to be able to progress this on our behalf.

As regards the Travel Mode I too was disapointed that I didn't have it available as like many others of you we do spend time on the Continent towing which is why we bought the car.

Just now, Nosnehm said:

I totally agree.  Now we have managed to get HJ on board we do need to keep up the momentum and give him all the help he needs to be able to progress this on our behalf.

As regards the Travel Mode I too was disapointed that I didn't have it available as like many others of you we do spend time on the Continent towing which is why we bought the car.

There is a setting which refers to lights being in left or right side traffic which I believe is what you are after.  I’ll send a picture of the setting when I’m in the car next.  

1 minute ago, Ajdude said:

There is a setting which refers to lights being in left or right side traffic which I believe is what you are after.  I’ll send a picture of the setting when I’m in the car next.  

Thanks, That is the one which is not available on my car.  Which model do you have and does it have Full Matrix Headlights which mine was advertised with but not supplied with but that is another issue I am dealing with separately.

4 minutes ago, Ajdude said:

Should it be available on the First Ed? I did not think it should without having the Full Matrix Headlights option.

Edited by Coume

Thanks for the nudge/encouragement to contact HJ...

Just had another thought - has anybody tried changing the language setting to French, German, Spanish, or something? Does that change the options available or the default speedo units? 

Could make following SatNav direction a little interesting though ;-)

2 hours ago, Nosnehm said:

Thanks, That is the one which is not available on my car.  Which model do you have and does it have Full Matrix Headlights which mine was advertised with but not supplied with but that is another issue I am dealing with separately.

Apologies, should have made I’d clear.  Mine does have the Matrix LED lights.  The base car is 1.5 SEL first edition.  It was registered in July 2020 and was a dealer demo car for a while.   I bought it Feb 2021.  It had the matrix lights fitted as and extra option as well as the HUD and Virtual Pedal.  Hope that helps. 

On the matrix lights.  I’ve not tested them thoroughly but have noticed the blanking being rather intermittent when on full beam.  With flashed from on coming cars showing their annoyance!  

Yes I was told by local dealership that HBA is not available without the Ful Matrix Light setting however it appears to be so in the "Shop" at £149.99"  It was always on my previous Octavias which didn't have the luxury of Full Matrix Lights!  Another loss of facility..

Hi all,

Fellow 1.5 First Edition owner, with all of the same problems previously listed (except the KPH issue, mine switches between KPH/MPH without issue) and at least one issue I don't think has been listed in this thread - I sometimes get a message saying the climate control is not available unless the ignition is switched on. I get this message while driving...

I have also emailed Honest John, who is adding me to the list of peeps, pending receipt of my details.

Out of interest what is your Device Part No?  Mine and the ones we have correlated, which have the issue is PN:- 5E3035816 which is now superseded by 3 later versions 5E3035816B, C & D.  All the later versions do not appear to suffer any of the issues we have been discussing however received this from our supplying dealership, who are most helpful and supportive, in response to them raising it with Skoda Tech' quote:

"Unfortunately I can't confirm that a later unit would be supplied from parts with software that would resolve the complaint. As the problem is under investigation I would suggest postponing any repair until more information is received".

What is needed is to generate sufficient complaints to motivate Skoda to prioritise the issue supplying a remedy PDQ.

• Like 1

No worries.

Funnily enough, my settinga does not have a Hardware Information option, on mine it is System Information. I also have nothing labelled as Software Version, on mine I have just Version Number but presume it is the same.

So, my details are:

Part: 5E3035869

H/W 096

Version Number 0891

I checked the KPH/MPH just now and confirm it still definitely works for me (no satnav on my car however, if that helps).

Funnily enough everything worked okay while I was just in the car, Android Auto also connected, and radio playing, yet on the virtual display was the message 'Starting audio' despite the radio being on already.

My usual list of randomised issues as reported to HJ is:

* The screen stays black and never loads up.
* The user profile loading message appears but never moves on.
* When trying to use climate control a message appears saying the ignition must be on to use the feature, despite that the engine is actually on.
* Pressing climate control buttons will not change the temperature
* Text will appear on screen but no icons will load up
* Message appears saying Front Assist is not available
* Android Auto will not connect despite the fact the screen shows the mobile phone as available
* Skoda logo (load screen?) will appear and not go away. Also, some days the Skoda logo will load up when switching on, but most of the time it does not.

I also sometimes am getting the Front Assist not working message, but to be honest that has always been on minus temperature days and I figured it is just the sensor unable to operate due to that (even with the windscreen defrosted).

I also get the warning about driving in the centre of the lane, but I have that pegged as an over-sensitive system rather than a software issue. It also only happens on rubbish country roads, on which I usually have lane assist disabled or the wheel is pulling you all over the place.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gax said:

Isn't that an Octavia III part number, not an Octavia IV?

I thought the Octavia IV was an NX3 (saloon/sedan) or NX5 (estate/combi)?

I had a new one yesterday. I got a bunch of warnings about the rear collision system not working and then I was told that PDC wasn't working either. When I tried, there was an exclamation mark in the front and rear of the car. It stayed the same after I stopped and started the car but was cleared on a reboot.

13 minutes ago, Gax said:

No worries.

Funnily enough, my settinga does not have a Hardware Information option, on mine it is System Information. I also have nothing labelled as Software Version, on mine I have just Version Number but presume it is the same.

So, my details are:

H/W 096

Version Number 0891

I checked the KPH/MPH just now and confirm it still definitely works for me (no satnav on my car however, if that helps).

Funnily enough everything worked okay while I was just in the car, Android Auto also connected, and radio playing, yet on the virtual display was the message 'Starting audio' despite the radio being on already.

My usual list of randomised issues as reported to HJ is:

* The screen stays black and never loads up.
* The user profile loading message appears but never moves on.
* When trying to use climate control a message appears saying the ignition must be on to use the feature, despite that the engine is actually on.
* Pressing climate control buttons will not change the temperature
* Text will appear on screen but no icons will load up
* Message appears saying Front Assist is not available
* Android Auto will not connect despite the fact the screen shows the mobile phone as available
* Skoda logo (load screen?) will appear and not go away. Also, some days the Skoda logo will load up when switching on, but most of the time it does not.

I also sometimes am getting the Front Assist not working message, but to be honest that has always been on minus temperature days and I figured it is just the sensor unable to operate due to that (even with the windscreen defrosted).

I also get the warning about driving in the centre of the lane, but I have that pegged as an over-sensitive system rather than a software issue. It also only happens on rubbish country roads, on which I usually have lane assist disabled or the wheel is pulling you all over the place.

Thanks.  Very interesting, totally different information to mine (see attached pic) This gets more and more interesting as within an exceptionally short time frame Skoda appear to have fitted several differing Head Units so no doubt whatsoever they are well aware of the issues.

Head Unit Data 14-03-21.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Isn't that an Octavia III part number, not an Octavia IV?

I thought the Octavia IV was an NX3 (saloon/sedan) or NX5 (estate/combi)?

I have zero idea!

All I can say is it's a 1.5 SE First Edition, bought new in December.

7 minutes ago, Gax said:

I have zero idea!

All I can say is it's a 1.5 SE First Edition, bought new in December.

Got a picture of the front you can share (blank out the number plate if you wish)? That will say for sure whether it's a III or IV :thinking: