KPH/MPH

Hello,
I am actually quite happy with my Octavia MJ21. But the car has never had an update of the navigation database. The shop and apps have been updated online several times.
What can I do to update the database without a service partner?
The necessary settings are activated and the licences are active until 2023.
I have already tried an update via USB using various instructions. None of them worked.

PXL_20220612_130533778.MP.jpg

1 hour ago, RickyUM said:

Hello,
I am actually quite happy with my Octavia MJ21. But the car has never had an update of the navigation database. The shop and apps have been updated online several times.
I have already tried an update via USB using various instructions. None of them worked.

I am unsure but it appears that after Year 1 I only receive Maps updates if I buy a data plan. Otherwise I will not receive further Maps updates. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

My Navigation had faults and a poorly performing  Voice Assistant during year one.  After waiting 20 months for a software fix I now have a functional Navigation and Voice Assistant but my Maps data base appears to no longer receive updates. My Navigation Database is 21.7 whilst my Software has gone from 1688 to 1896. 

10 hours ago, PoloPaul said:

I am unsure but it appears that after Year 1 I only receive Maps updates if I buy a data plan. Otherwise I will not receive further Maps updates. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

My Navigation had faults and a poorly performing  Voice Assistant during year one.  After waiting 20 months for a software fix I now have a functional Navigation and Voice Assistant but my Maps data base appears to no longer receive updates. My Navigation Database is 21.7 whilst my Software has gone from 1688 to 1896. 

To go from 1688 to 1896 did you have to have the head unit replaced? Or was it just a software update?

Thank you.

13 hours ago, RickyUM said:

Hello,

I am similarly unsure but it appears that after Year 1 I will only receive Maps updates if I I have a data plan with Cubic the data provider. This requires a data contract. If I do not sign up and I haven’t, then I will not receive further Maps updates. Please correct me if I am mistaken. My Navigation was beset by faults and a poorly performing  voice assistant during year one.  I was unable to use it effectively.  It seems unfair that after patiently waiting 20 months for a software fix I now have a functional Navigation and Voice Assistant but my Maps data base is out of date so that once again my Navigation is ‘sub-optimal’ through no fault of mine. 

1 hour ago, Mark Hiscock said:

To go from 1688 to 1896 did you have to have the head unit replaced? Or was it just a software update?

Thank you.

No head unit replacement but a long awaited SW fix that incorporated 3 updates over 2 days.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RickyUM said:

Hello,

After reading in the online ‘shop’ that after Year 1, in the U.K., further map updates continue to be automatic but only with a data plan - I read somewhere on this site that Map updates via USB C are possible for cars bought in EU states. Hope you have success, let us know. 

I come from Germany and have not booked a data plan. The corresponding licence states that the online update of the navigation database is included.

The update via USB did not work either. According to Skoda, this is only possible online or via the service partner.

1 minute ago, RickyUM said:

I come from Germany and have not booked a data plan. The corresponding licence states that the online update of the navigation database is included.

The update via USB did not work either. According to Skoda, this is only possible online or via the service partner.

RickyUM 

I am currently on Navigation 21.7 and my 1st year of ownership ended in Oct 21. I do not appear to be receiving further online updates. My car has recently gone in for a ‘major’ series of software updates but the Navigation does not appear to have been updated. 

So it seems the same position applies in the U.K. as in Germany in that: USB C doesn’t work; you can get your Service Partner to do it - at an extra charge - following first year of ownership…..and that only if a data plan is purchased following year 1 does Navigation continue to receive further automatic online updates. 

Thanks matrix2020

So it seems that a Data Plan isn’t the sole way to continue receiving online updates after year 1 and that an Infotainment  Online licences delivers map updates as well. 

For the first 20 months of ownership the Navigation, Voice Control etc did not work effective on my car. Following the recent large SW updates most issues are now resolved and I have good functionality. Shame though that my Maps Data base is no longer up to date. So for the first 20 months I used AppleMaps and (better still in my opinion) GoogleMaps via CarPlay (when Bluetooth connected which it often didn’t until recently).

So despite at last having a functioning Navigation System and Voice Assistant, it looks as though I may soon revert to GoogleMaps. Thing is, with Bluetooth at last connecting reliably so I can use my phone in the car, I am nervous about switching over to CarPlay (which uses wifi) …. Just in case.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Joss1733 said:

so do lease cars still have to buy the data plan to get updates or are they included in the lease?

Might that depend upon what what the Ts & Cs of your lease?  It seems that a licence needs to be paid for, or your Service Partner can do it at additional cost, in order to continue Map Updates after Year 1.  

• 7 months later...
On 03/09/2020 at 21:03, ELSUSSETTER said:

My partner took delivery of SE L First Edition 2.0 TDI 150PS Estate on Tuesday, I took it for it's first "long" run today using the Sat Nav, the virtual cockpit shows speed, fuel range in miles, Sat Nav shows distance to destination in klms and also in top left corner of virtual cockpit, couldn't find how to change it in SETTINGS, stopped at a Skoda showroom that I was passing and explained situation to one of the sales guys, he tried numerous settings/screens without success, I contacted the showroom that the car was bought from, service staff and Master Tech were unable to help/solve the mystery, any person on here with a solution, not a major problem but would have thought all readings in UK would be in miles  

So many posts on this thread so I’ve chosen one at the beginning.

I’ve had the same mph/kph display issues on my recently purchased 2020 SEL First Edition.

My sales rep has tried 3 other models today. Using Menu-settings-units, all had an speed -mph or kph option. Mine doesn’t so is going in for an update.

The thread is full of update fix promises but I guess in 2023 the issue is fixed except for cars like mine that have fallen through a software net. 

If it isn’t fixed, I’ll post again. No news will be good news.

It took nine months to get mine sorted!  It was in and out of the dealer and I was writing long letters to Skoda UK. Eventually it went in for a whole day and the system was reset to read in miles.  

The whole VAG group have has similar problems and many others relating to software. The director in change of VAG software has been sacked.  The next round of models will have  quite different controls, returning to knobs for many things like the air con.   Your are not allowed to sue a phone when driving but you do have to take your eyes off the road to poke through several screen to do things. 

• Like 3

The other ting I ntoiced is the sat nav date base is years out of date.  It locates fuel stations that have been closed for ten years, place of interest that are not longer there, even a fairly new service areas on the M1 in Yorkshire  is not there. 

44 minutes ago, kernowalan said:

My sales rep has tried 3 other models today. Using Menu-settings-units, all had an speed -mph or kph option. Mine doesn’t so is going in for an update.

Sounds like you need a dash software update when it goes back?

• Like 1

The kph/mph fix is not directly related to infotainment system version 1896. Mine was fixed September 2021 whilst on a much lower version (can’t remember which at the mo).

Chase the dealer for all updates etc and don’t give up!

yep, what @varooom said.

Edited by SteveTheElder
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Derwent said:

The other thing I noticed is the sat nav date base is years out of date.  It locates fuel stations that have been closed for ten years, place of interest that are not longer there, even a fairly new service areas on the M1 in Yorkshire  is not there. 

Try to input your VIN here and download if possible the "offline" database, this will need putting on a USB stick IIRC, and leaving for a day/two to load in background.

https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/

1 hour ago, SteveTheElder said:

The kph/mph fix is not directly related to infotainment system version 1896. Mine was fixed September 2021 whilst on a much lower version (can’t remember which at the mo).

Chase the dealer for all updates etc and don’t give up!

yep, what @varooom said.

As above. Keep at them they sound like they are fobbing you off as they'll have that many coming in. Question is it petrol or diesel? I had similar but with my sat nav only and then it had to go back in for a full update talking 2 days. Oh mines a diesel nearly forgot to mention that. My company uses Skoda's as company cars and all the petrol ones have sos issues and go into limp mode yet the diesels seem fine. My First Edition has been in and out for updates. Also recently had the door handles changed as it had dodgy door sensors. You think after all this I wouldn't of ordered a 4x4 VRS Octavia estate but after waiting a year I've finally been informed the factory have accepted the order but still no build date lol. Apparently they have brought a guy in from Porsche to fix these issues. Who btw stated Porsche said electric isn't the future, read into that what you want lol. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, kernowalan said:

Yes - as is mine. Do you think an update will not sort it?

I would expect that this update ‘would’ solve that issue.

It is apparently a very large update with many minor constituents. In my case other problems (not Kmh) resulted in the garage performing another scan which revealed that several components “had not taken”! These were then applied. So it seems that in my case although the SW read 1886, this did not, on further analysis, mean that all aspects of the large1896 update had taken. 

OT,   Looked like a demotion for Klaus.

Klaus Zellermer : Ex Porsche boss is just yet another in the line of Skoda CEO's bumping his gums.

'The Czech brand will remain budget-friendly in the electric era.'

He better get a grip of the technology and the quality control, and the prices are not exactly budget-friendly now if you look at the smallest and the cheapest as in a Mk4 Fabia.

Lost the plot with the company and the customer and communications.   The tech has gone t!ts up for them with over the air updates.

He needs to fix cars people have already bought and paid for and stop being yet another VW Group spin doctor.  

Comedy Klaus.

4 years ago.

1 year ago.

1 month ago. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, toot said:

He needs to fix cars people have already bought and paid for and stop being yet another VW Group spin doctor.

Agree 1 Million percent, if they recalled the car's to get a wave of updates done, it would help so many.

SOS errors

Infotainment

Digital dash need bring up to a decent standard

Insert your flying pig image here @toot

• Like 1