Unsure about 2019 superb estate

Hello.

I'm considering buying a 2019 superb estate se l executive diesel

46,000 miles, with the water pump and belt already replaced on warranty 

Why would that need to be replaced at such low mileage?

Also, the rear bumper has an unusual chrome/silver panel across the length of the top of the bumper where the boot door closes - I've never seen this detail on another superb. 

Usually the bumpers have the same body colour 

2x.jpeg

@valley84

Welcome.

You had best check not only the Service History but the Warranty History, so was the Water Pump replaced under the Manufacturers Warranty?

If so the Warranty on that runs to the end of the Manufacturers Warranty on the car.

As to the rear bumper protector.

Anyone might fit them, and that will include whoever bought or leased an estate car that might well do high miles carrying stuff that gets lifted in an out the back.

Those that carry bikes in the back might well as they do a good job of protecting the paint work, or covering any damage already done.

Edited by e-Roottoot

13 hours ago, valley84 said:

Who would stick something like that onto a bumper? 

Any thoughts on the water pump and belt?

I was originally looking at a 2017 estate but this is tempting me as i drive low mileage

If you do low mileage, might be worthwhile looking at petrol versions too. 

thanks for the comments

I just don't like that chrome sticker on the bumper and I wonder what it is hiding

we want a diesel estate with a towbar for occasionally pulling a trailer

my main concern is the very early water pump and belt change

Okay - couple of things here:

1) This I am assuming will be a 2.0 TDI SE 150 or 184 Executive??  The water pump / timing belt are generally done as one thing.  You could ask your dealer for details on why the work was done, but it would be a tensioner or genuinely a failed belt (it does happen).  From what you have told us so far, nothing worries me here.

2) The bumper sticker - is not a 'sticker', it is a rear boot scuff protector.  They are held on by sticky tabs (the same type as used to adhesive for your numberplate), so they will come off quite easily.  It looks like this: http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/SUPERB-III/Superb-III-Combi-massive-stainless-steel-rear-bumper-protective-panel-original-Skoda-Autoas quite an expensive option at 69 Euros.

I think it sounds like a good car...as long as it has a decent SKODA warranty and has a full Skoda Service History, all is good.

20 hours ago, valley84 said:

Who would stick something like that onto a bumper? 

I did. I like this touch of chrome, that suits with the original chrome lids of the L&K version.

Sticking this kind of accessory is not initially meant to hide something, just to protect and improving the appearance (depending on one’s tastes).

You seem very suspicious. The thing is you can never be sure, when you buy a second hand car...

Anyway, even with a brand new car, you can’t be 100% sure either... Wrong batch on a component may happen... (This is may be the case with the water pump, nothing more...)

My grand dad says sometimes: no risk, no fun...

😉

I assume the water pump went the same way as it does on the Octavia. It's well documented on there. Mine went @38k miles so had the belt done at the same time to save me doing it later on.

You describe your driving as occasional towing. How occasional? If a couple of times a year and the rest of your journeys are local/slow/town I would avoid a diesel. Gonna clog up the dpf in no time.

• Like 1

I have a diesel car that I drive for work. 

I will occasionally take this superb to keep it ticking over.

also, petrol versions of the car in the same trim are at least £3000 more expensive for a 2017 model and at least £4000 for a 2019 model

Water pump aside they are reliable power plants if given the opportunity to clear the dpf on a regular basis.  You can help matters by using posh fuel.  Also driving harder than normal helps as it gets the exhaust nice and hot (you lose the benefit of greater economy though).  Only you will know if your driving style and situation will be suitable for a DPF equipped car.

I slightly older car will cost less, therefore be less of a loss if you do run into problems.

If you were to list issues vehicles have and base your purchase on that, I could probably put you off buying anything at all. Best to just get one your happy with and enjoy driving it. When it breaks, fix it. Plenty of units with water pump issues, timing chain issues, injector or turbo issues, from a multitude of different manufacturers. You don’t have to replace with dealer/manufacturers parts which will cut costs when it’s out of warranty. You can get aftermarket DPF’s as well if needed. 

• Like 1

For the water pump, I've just remembered this thread on the Octavia Mk3 :

Since some models of Superb Mk3 have the same  expansion bottle and the same G13+ 'Mit Silikat', it may explain the water pump failure...

My water pump failed on my 2016 TDI 150 at about 60K miles and was replaced. No issues with it since. Had the car from new and now on 85K miles - the only faults have been the water pump and a boot latch which stuck. I wouldn't let a replaced water pump put you off.