How To - Reverse Camera Fitting Guide

weyland

I installed the sinosmart camera a couple of years ago with no trouble, worked first time round after plugging in. The infotainment was updated to 0480 at the dealer last week and the camera no longer displays.

As per advice earlier in the thread, I've pulled fuse 12 with no success. Also removed harness and reconnected. Grateful for any ideas on what else to try?

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/07/2023 at 23:51, captainsteve said:

I installed the sinosmart camera a couple of years ago with no trouble, worked first time round after plugging in. The infotainment was updated to 0480 at the dealer last week and the camera no longer displays.

As per advice earlier in the thread, I've pulled fuse 12 with no success. Also removed harness and reconnected. Grateful for any ideas on what else to try?

As a follow-up in case someone else encounters the same issue, resolution found: 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2020 at 22:54, weyland said:

As there seems to be a lot of people asking questions about this lately, I thought I'd put together a quick guide showing how I fitted my reverse camera to a facelift VRS hatchback. They way that i've fitted this will apply to most models, with the key differences being the size of handle (based upon car model year) and whether hatch or estate (but this is just inside trim differences), there may also be wiring loom differences for earlier cars or none VRS models. I've benefited from info from these forums so hopefully this will be useful to others. I am by no means an expert & I won't be able to answer all of your questions, hopefully others will chip in and can add other info as well.

First of all, this is the camera that I ordered for my MY 2017 VRS (Camera A/Handle A):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000230897829.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.40694c4dTEPT93
 (link may no longer be valid when you read this so screenshot below)

No programming is required for this camera and it supports dynamic reverse  guidelines
image.thumb.png.b03d08ab3116750e96698e85e079076b.png

Tools:
Trim removal tools would be useful, but otherwise plastic tool that won't mark your car, or screwdrivers or similar with masking tape over the end.

A T20 torx head tool is required if you have a hatchback to remove the pulldown boot strap

Cable rods are very useful, I couldn't have fitted through the roof lining without.

Stereo removal tools unless they come with your camera kit

Cable route - I went with an OEM route for my cabling, following existing cables through the roofliner and out to the back as show by the red line below.

IMG_20200910_130632.thumb.jpg.3ed2c151c81cce23b6889e55adec09da.jpg

The camera:
IMG_20201007_123102.thumb.jpg.4f244ca4092158da96beac10fd87cc8f.jpg

The first thing that I did was to check that the boot release switch was working on the new unit - there's no way you want to wire this in and find it is faulty.
You'll need to start removing the boot trim to access it. Remove the plastic clips from the lower boot trim-  this consists of a few plastic clips which easily pop out with trim remover/screwdriver. There are 8 of these on the hatchback.

IMG_20201007_124107.thumb.jpg.58240b73344a421482a58fecc0dfe6b9.jpg

After that  start removing the upper plastic trim, this simply requires forces to release the metal clips. You don't need to remove all of this for now, but it will all need to come off later

IMG_20201007_123813.thumb.jpg.d3810f37a7f2393edf85740769dc35df.jpg

Remove the lower upholstered trim covering the tailgate. More metal clips - work your way around. You'll also need to remove the pull down strap with the T20 torx head. When this is down you should be able to drop the boot liner which will give access to the boot release handle.

This can be awkward to remove, but can be done by pushing in the clip on one on the ends whilst also pushing down on the handle from the inside (ignore the clips along its length) - it should then pop out. Repeat for the other side.

IMG_20201007_141523.thumb.jpg.7571f0e2d99c36ccdc4daadbf5bc6895.jpg

Unplug the harness and plug the new handle in - check the release switch works. You can either now push the new handle in until it clips, or leave it out to test the video connection later before fitting.
IMG_20201007_155959.thumb.jpg.190a2c7b3ee8ce1a4a2ffcac8356bb35.jpg

To wire it in

Remove the glovebox (open, rock left to right whilst pulling up & you'll hear the bottom clips release. Raise the glovebox lid up and inside the housing and reach in and remove the dampening on the left hand side)

IMG_20201007_173530.thumb.jpg.734a42fa4ca415a17f9dd663e1f3e919.jpg

Use the stereo release keys to release the multimedia unit.

The kit used here comes with a replacement harness that sits between the original one and the media unit & includes the video feed cable. Some people have removed the upper glovebox section to provide more access, be careful not to unplug the airbag connector if you do this. This can be fiddly, but I found the best way was to lie on my back with my head in footwell looking up at the unit from underneath. With the media unit slid fowards this gives access to the harness. It's the large one at the bottom and there is a locking connecting that needs to be pushed backwards to release. Check how it works on your replacement harness. Unplug old harness and plug it in to one end of the new one, push the harness in to the void and plug the new connector block in to the media unit. This took me a while to get it all to fit in. When done you can now test the video feed to the rear camera before your start wiring it in permanently.

I took the camera cable  over the top of the fusebox cage &  out through the side panel

IMG_20201007_172509.thumb.jpg.443d8e68a3a4129f5bdacb1977daccd3.jpg

I then ran the cable up the A Pillar to the roof lining and all the way to the end. Cable rods were really useful at this point, especially to get around the B pillar , and to go from the end of the roof liner through the cable exit point behind the rubber trunking where the original boot cables are. You can also run the cable in the trim above the sill and work your way back up to the roof lining on the C pillar. When you get to the end of the roof lining you'll need to unclip the rubber gator at the top of the boot so you can get the cable out of the roof liner and in to the boot via this gator. If you install the same way as me you only need to peel the roof liner down a few cm, being careful not to deform or damage it and you'll see the OEM cables behind.

IMG_20201008_144451.thumb.jpg.4b76f0ab5a779efaae85f76ee5b24f8e.jpg

IMG_20201008_144917.thumb.jpg.7528d2a6ce08d879d7634355c5bb50f2.jpg

IMG_20201008_145532.thumb.jpg.32d784ee80559e75fab22e5a699d7755.jpg

Once you've got the cable this far it's a case of feeding it through the rubber gator, up the side of the boot and over to the handle; connect the video cable and tidying up any spare cable.

IMG_20201008_162607.jpg.30f69147683d39a5ef34963c5a1e1d38.jpg

Everything should now be up and running. Retrace your steps to refit your trim. You now have a fully working reverse camera, activated when reverse is selected and with dynamic guidelines. The parking sensor guide now shifts to the left of the screen the same as an OEM reverse camera.

IMG_20201007_174756.thumb.jpg.f68b88b54b22aa4673a9b3592cdcffd4.jpg

I will come back and re-edit this tomorrow and resize pics as it's getting late. I'll tidy up any errors as I see them so please don't jump on me straight away!

On 08/10/2020 at 22:54, weyland said:

As there seems to be a lot of people asking questions about this lately, I thought I'd put together a quick guide showing how I fitted my reverse camera to a facelift VRS hatchback. They way that i've fitted this will apply to most models, with the key differences being the size of handle (based upon car model year) and whether hatch or estate (but this is just inside trim differences), there may also be wiring loom differences for earlier cars or none VRS models. I've benefited from info from these forums so hopefully this will be useful to others. I am by no means an expert & I won't be able to answer all of your questions, hopefully others will chip in and can add other info as well.

First of all, this is the camera that I ordered for my MY 2017 VRS (Camera A/Handle A):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000230897829.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.40694c4dTEPT93
 (link may no longer be valid when you read this so screenshot below)

No programming is required for this camera and it supports dynamic reverse  guidelines
image.thumb.png.b03d08ab3116750e96698e85e079076b.png

Tools:
Trim removal tools would be useful, but otherwise plastic tool that won't mark your car, or screwdrivers or similar with masking tape over the end.

A T20 torx head tool is required if you have a hatchback to remove the pulldown boot strap

Cable rods are very useful, I couldn't have fitted through the roof lining without.

Stereo removal tools unless they come with your camera kit

Cable route - I went with an OEM route for my cabling, following existing cables through the roofliner and out to the back as show by the red line below.

IMG_20200910_130632.thumb.jpg.3ed2c151c81cce23b6889e55adec09da.jpg

The camera:
IMG_20201007_123102.thumb.jpg.4f244ca4092158da96beac10fd87cc8f.jpg

The first thing that I did was to check that the boot release switch was working on the new unit - there's no way you want to wire this in and find it is faulty.
You'll need to start removing the boot trim to access it. Remove the plastic clips from the lower boot trim-  this consists of a few plastic clips which easily pop out with trim remover/screwdriver. There are 8 of these on the hatchback.

IMG_20201007_124107.thumb.jpg.58240b73344a421482a58fecc0dfe6b9.jpg

After that  start removing the upper plastic trim, this simply requires forces to release the metal clips. You don't need to remove all of this for now, but it will all need to come off later

IMG_20201007_123813.thumb.jpg.d3810f37a7f2393edf85740769dc35df.jpg

Remove the lower upholstered trim covering the tailgate. More metal clips - work your way around. You'll also need to remove the pull down strap with the T20 torx head. When this is down you should be able to drop the boot liner which will give access to the boot release handle.

This can be awkward to remove, but can be done by pushing in the clip on one on the ends whilst also pushing down on the handle from the inside (ignore the clips along its length) - it should then pop out. Repeat for the other side.

IMG_20201007_141523.thumb.jpg.7571f0e2d99c36ccdc4daadbf5bc6895.jpg

Unplug the harness and plug the new handle in - check the release switch works. You can either now push the new handle in until it clips, or leave it out to test the video connection later before fitting.
IMG_20201007_155959.thumb.jpg.190a2c7b3ee8ce1a4a2ffcac8356bb35.jpg

To wire it in

Remove the glovebox (open, rock left to right whilst pulling up & you'll hear the bottom clips release. Raise the glovebox lid up and inside the housing and reach in and remove the dampening on the left hand side)

IMG_20201007_173530.thumb.jpg.734a42fa4ca415a17f9dd663e1f3e919.jpg

Use the stereo release keys to release the multimedia unit.

The kit used here comes with a replacement harness that sits between the original one and the media unit & includes the video feed cable. Some people have removed the upper glovebox section to provide more access, be careful not to unplug the airbag connector if you do this. This can be fiddly, but I found the best way was to lie on my back with my head in footwell looking up at the unit from underneath. With the media unit slid fowards this gives access to the harness. It's the large one at the bottom and there is a locking connecting that needs to be pushed backwards to release. Check how it works on your replacement harness. Unplug old harness and plug it in to one end of the new one, push the harness in to the void and plug the new connector block in to the media unit. This took me a while to get it all to fit in. When done you can now test the video feed to the rear camera before your start wiring it in permanently.

I took the camera cable  over the top of the fusebox cage &  out through the side panel

IMG_20201007_172509.thumb.jpg.443d8e68a3a4129f5bdacb1977daccd3.jpg

I then ran the cable up the A Pillar to the roof lining and all the way to the end. Cable rods were really useful at this point, especially to get around the B pillar , and to go from the end of the roof liner through the cable exit point behind the rubber trunking where the original boot cables are. You can also run the cable in the trim above the sill and work your way back up to the roof lining on the C pillar. When you get to the end of the roof lining you'll need to unclip the rubber gator at the top of the boot so you can get the cable out of the roof liner and in to the boot via this gator. If you install the same way as me you only need to peel the roof liner down a few cm, being careful not to deform or damage it and you'll see the OEM cables behind.

IMG_20201008_144451.thumb.jpg.4b76f0ab5a779efaae85f76ee5b24f8e.jpg

IMG_20201008_144917.thumb.jpg.7528d2a6ce08d879d7634355c5bb50f2.jpg

IMG_20201008_145532.thumb.jpg.32d784ee80559e75fab22e5a699d7755.jpg

Once you've got the cable this far it's a case of feeding it through the rubber gator, up the side of the boot and over to the handle; connect the video cable and tidying up any spare cable.

IMG_20201008_162607.jpg.30f69147683d39a5ef34963c5a1e1d38.jpg

Everything should now be up and running. Retrace your steps to refit your trim. You now have a fully working reverse camera, activated when reverse is selected and with dynamic guidelines. The parking sensor guide now shifts to the left of the screen the same as an OEM reverse camera.

IMG_20201007_174756.thumb.jpg.f68b88b54b22aa4673a9b3592cdcffd4.jpg

I will come back and re-edit this tomorrow and resize pics as it's getting late. I'll tidy up any errors as I see them so please don't jump on me straight away!

Hi, from my understanding of reading this as I plan to fit this to mine, This connects up to the multimedia unit in the glove box and not the back of the headunit display? 

Thanks

Hi, that's right - the unit in the glove box. It can be a bit fiddly due to access but you'll do it.

Glad this guide is still useful after all this time!

• Like 1

On 25/08/2023 at 16:31, weyland said:

Hi, that's right - the unit in the glove box. It can be a bit fiddly due to access but you'll do it.

Glad this guide is still useful after all this time!

Thank you, 

All successfully fitted today, all working. Along with front and rear facing dash cams.  

My dad was astonished that something from Ali-Express worked. He didn't think it would lol!

Thanks again for the guide, very helpful. 

• 4 months later...

Enjoyed my AliExpress camera for the last couple of years, thanks again for the heads-up, Wayland, although it’s never been 100% reliable, occasionally triggering a ‘parking pilot not available’ message.

However, over the last week it’s hardly worked at all - it’s amazing how much I’d come to rely on it!!

I’m reluctant to take the glovebox out AGAIN (!), but I can get to the connection in the tailgate fairly easily.  So when it stops raining…

Anyone else had this intermittent performance?

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Baxlin said:

Anyone else had this intermittent performance?

Malcolm

This definitely sounds like a connection issue. The glovebox isn't too bad if you wiggle it from once disconnecting the dampener (and extend and snap back into place with a large screwdriver etc).

Once you have a reversing camera there is no going back!

Thanks for the encouragement once again.

Well, I released the bottom edge of the tailgate liner just enough to get at that connection, and it seems now to be working.  But as it’s an intermittent fault, who knows for how long!!

I suppose logically it is more likely to be the tailgate end, as it’s opened and closed (slammed by its own weight?) so often.

Anyhow, I don’t half miss it when it’s not working, particularly as Mrs B’s Nissan has one OE.

Edited by Baxlin

• 2 months later...

Hello!

I've just installed sinosmart reverse camera MQB A to my superb 3v3, although now when switching from reverse to first gear my front sensors doesn't display on display.
Did anyone have similar issue?

Hi,

I am keen to purchase and fit a rear view camera on my 2016 hatch Vrs and would prefer the moving guidelines and washer function.

I have seen a view different options and systems available however I would certainly appreciate some feedback from this group what I sould purchase.

I have VCDS so can code things.

It might also be worth noting that I will also be fitting a tow bar so will be extending the Can bus system for the tow bar module so is there a smart way to prevent two Can bus wiring looms going to the rear of the car?

I look forward to the responses from you fine people.

Regards

Bennie