Good brand of rims that are reliable and not very expensive for the Superb ??

I'm thinking of changing the rims on my Superb, in the end all the vibration problem that I had seems to come from the tires ...

In fact in one of them, if I did not count wrong, I have 200 grams of counterweights, and between that and that I not only like them, because I am thinking of changing them.

I would like to continue at 18 ", I know the 19" suits you better, but I have a Michelin Primacy 4 with only 2,000 km and I don't want to lose driving comfort either.

I want reliability, I don't want to catch a bump and have it off-centre and vibrate.

I have thought about OZ, RONAL or THOMASON, the price?  It is Spain that does not exceed 800 euros.

I accept suggestions and photos.

Thanks in advance

Edited by john999boy
Duplication problem

I got some genuine 17” alloys from Skoda for about £750. I think new zenith 18” cost around £800

edit 

skoda accessories 18” £216 each 

17” £205

Local dealer did 10% off the above price 

Edited by nebrog23
  • Like 1

• john999boy changed the title to Good brand of rims that are reliable and not very expensive for the Superb ??
1 hour ago, UndertheRadar said:

I would prefer a genuine alloy wheel to most cheap chinese copies to avoid cracking issues.

Agree and will be easier when come to sell the car. I got mine in the dark grey so looked a bit better than the standard silver in my opinion 

May be you can try ideal-reifen.com.

They propose 2nd hand OEM rims from most german car brands. You can chose rims either "as they are" or "fully repainted". I've chosen the 2nd solution, when I bought a set of alloy rims to have a winter pack for my wife's Audi Q3. Very interesting solution at an affordable price. ;) 

• Like 1

On 25/10/2020 at 15:18, Gabrielem said:

I would like to continue at 18", I know the 19" suits you better, but I have a Michelin Primacy 4 with only 2,000 km and I don't want to lose driving comfort either.

If you're looking for cheap rims, then you might want to look at 18" steel rims from the new VW ID.3 electric car. Specification is something like 7.5Jx18 ET50 5/112 57.1 so should fit.

If you want 19", then the new VW ID.4 electric car comes with 19" rims in the basic version. However, I don't know if they are steel or alloy.

In general, steel rims in 18" and 19" diameters are as rare as hen's teeth, so steel rims from the new VW electric cars could fill a gap in the market.

Edited by Carlston

For the price you have set you might want to consider Wheelworld. They are a known mass wheel manufacturer in Germany whose wheels are also TUV certified (that's the important part compared to cheaper ebay replicas) with many designs and several sub-brands.

I run the V2 from them in 18x8.5" for my winter set (and previously had their V1 too) and they have been fine

https://v1-wheels.de/k1/Felgen

IMG_20191130_110049.thumb.jpg.b415d074f9a1605e4f0aa169bc24f1bc.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.73c47b92a63786590125b53060bd9325.jpg

They are also quite light at 10.5kg which improves the steering feel and turn-in of the car significantly. I would strongly advise going for a lighter alloy than the stock one and definitely not for steel wheels if you care about driving even a little bit.

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 2

On 27/10/2020 at 08:54, newbie69 said:

For the price you have set you might want to consider Wheelworld. They are a known mass wheel manufacturer in Germany whose wheels are also TUV certified (that's the important part compared to cheaper ebay replicas) with many designs and several sub-brands.

I run the V2 from them in 18x8.5" for my winter set (and previously had their V1 too) and they have been fine

https://v1-wheels.de/k1/Felgen

IMG_20191130_110049.thumb.jpg.b415d074f9a1605e4f0aa169bc24f1bc.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.73c47b92a63786590125b53060bd9325.jpg

They are also quite light at 10.5kg which improves the steering feel and turn-in of the car significantly. I would strongly advise going for a lighter alloy than the stock one and definitely not for steel wheels if you care about driving even a little bit.

Cheap alloy wheels (i.e. most of them) are cast, have to be thick to get enough strength, prioritise looks over function, and as a consequence are usually heavier than steel wheels and no stronger (and easier to damage). They're a styling option, not a driving one.

Expensive forged and machined alloy wheels are lighter and stronger than steel especially if designed for strength not looks (remember the original Minilites?), but this isn't what most cars are fitted with as OEM or what most aftermarket wheels are.

Edited by IanJD
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, IanJD said:

Cheap alloy wheels (i.e. most of them) are cast, have to be thick to get enough strength, prioritise looks over function, and as a consequence are usually heavier than steel wheels and no stronger (and easier to damage). They're a styling option, not a driving one.

Expensive forged and machined alloy wheels are lighter and stronger than steel especially if designed for strength not looks (remember the original Minilites?), but this isn't what most cars are fitted with as OEM or what most aftermarket wheels are.

I guess quoting means you were replying to me? but I fail to see the relation between what I said and what you wrote.

For sure cheap ebay replicas (as an example) are as you say but I did not advise going for them or any other random set that just looks good without some quality assurance. In my opinion alloys are a very important item of the car (often neglected) and one should ensure they come with specific load ratings, guaranties or other universal quality assurance stamps like TUV, VIA or JWL certification.

Also, designing for a minimum strength that allows them to be a daily item, which is what all decent aftermarket alloy manufacturers do, does not have to compromise looks, that's why CAD and FEA tools are used in the process. Simply more material does not equal higher strength as every engineer would confirm, it's where it is placed that makes the difference. With that in mind, you can end up with a much lighter and strong enough alloy that noticeably improves driving feel (nothing new here) without putting your life at risk. My 19" Ispiri alloys (VIA and JWL certified with a 690kg load rating) didn't just improve the looks of the car (that can be subjective after all) but they certainly woke up the steering feel a lot by shoving a whooping 4.2kg of unsprung mass per wheel and the driving improvement was a big factor for deciding to ditch the OEM alloys.

What is certain from my perspective, is that a steel wheel has no place on any even entry-level performance vehicle today, that is not particularly abused.

Edited by newbie69

29 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

I guess quoting means you were replying to me? but I fail to see the relation between what I said and what you wrote.

For sure cheap ebay replicas (as an example) are as you say but I did not advise going for them or any other random set that just looks good without some quality assurance. In my opinion alloys are a very important item of the car (often neglected) and one should ensure they come with specific load ratings, guaranties or other universal quality assurance stamps like TUV, VIA or JWL certification.

Also, designing for a minimum strength that allows them to be a daily item, which is what all decent aftermarket alloy manufacturers do, does not have to compromise looks, that's why CAD and FEA tools are used in the process. Simply more material does not equal higher strength as every engineer would confirm, it's where it is placed that makes the difference. With that in mind, you can end up with a much lighter and strong enough alloy that noticeably improves driving feel (nothing new here) without putting your life at risk. My 19" Ispiri alloys (VIA and JWL certified with a 690kg load rating) didn't just improve the looks of the car (that can be subjective after all) but they certainly woke up the steering feel a lot by shoving a whooping 4.2kg of unsprung mass per wheel and the driving improvement was a big factor for deciding to ditch the OEM alloys.

What is certain from my perspective, is that a steel wheel has no place on any even entry-level performance vehicle today, that is not particularly abused.

You said

"and definitely not for steel wheels if you care about driving even a little bit"

so yes I was replying to you.

You obviously didn't read what I said, which is that *high quality expensive* alloys (like yours) are lighter, stronger and better than steel wheels, but this is often not true for *cheap lower quality* ones -- which is most of the wheels on the market when you include OEM (which are almost all cheap made-in-China ones with a manufacturer's badge stuck on), and very likely what the OP will end up with if he gets the "relatively cheap" wheels he's looking for. You yourself said that your (expensive) Ispiri alloys were 4.2kg lighter than the OEM ones, so we're not disagreeing here...

Edited by IanJD
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@IanJD

If one bothers to weigh the OEM wheel and tyre on their car and a 'Full Size Spare' Steel wheel with a Tyre to match the size of the ones on the car they might find the weight difference is between Oooo & Ahaaaaa.

One bothered to do exactly that on the last car I had which had a same-sized steel spare (so not the Superb); the steel wheel weighed less than the (thick cast OEM) alloy ;-)

Did you do the same?

And don't get me started on the apparently unstoppable fashion-driven trend for bigger diameter wheels, which together with the tyre usually weigh (and cost) more than smaller diameter ones because air is much less dense than aluminium...

(go and talk to a suspension engineer before arguing that big wheels are not a style choice)

Edited by IanJD
  • Like 2
  • Groan 1

@IanJD

I have done over the years on various vehicles and sometimes the difference is between Oooo & Ahaaa, which is not very much.

?

What was the difference with the cars wheels you were comparing.

I tend to stick a pair of full size Spares in the car in winter time with matching Tyres so that journeys can continue, and a trolley jack, so 

weight is not that important, and with something canal boat like size that is even less important.

Edited by e-Roottoot

1 minute ago, e-Roottoot said:

@IanJD

I have done over the years on various vehicles and sometimes the difference is between Oooo & Ahaaa, which is not very much.

?

What was the difference with the cars wheels you were comparing.

So which is heavier, Oooo or Ahaaa?

The tone of your post suggested that you were saying that alloys were a lot lighter. If you were saying there's not much difference then I'd agree, obviously it depends on the wheel design -- a lot of OEM alloys are much heavier than they need to be because styling means there's a lot of structurally useless metal in there, and they don't want to pay for expensive forged alloys when they can charge the customer a fortune (several times the going rate) for cheap cast ones, because that's business.

IIRC the difference wasn't that big, maybe less than a kilo -- but steel was lighter, which goes against what most people believe.

Like I said, if you want to see what an alloy wheel designed for maximum strength and minimum weight looks like, try the original Minilite, or racing wheels. Now they *are* much better (and much more expensive) than steel, but their design priority really *is* performance not pretty looks.

• Haha 1

Just now, e-Roottoot said:

@IanJD

If you were are as good at inspecting your tyres are checking weights the roads will be a safer place. 

Have fun with your driving & giving wheel and tyre advice..

Screenshot 2020-10-28 at 13.19.37.png

I'm sure you inspect the hidden inner shoulders of your rear tyres for damage like this regularly and with religious fervour -- especially after other people have found an unexpected problem for you to watch out for ;-)

A selection of OE here

https://www.skoda-parts.com/catalog/superb-3/spare-parts/accessories/wheels-steel-aluminium/aluminium-wheel-578.html

2 years ago, the Pegasus 18” 8J alloy was listed in the UK accessories brochure with a slightly different part no. to the spare part equivalent and available from dealers at half the price of the spare part.

Some briskodians bought them and there is a thread on here.

Skoda UK accessories brochure part numbers and prices here

SUPERB Accessories Brochure - October 2019.615e7c4ccfe8ff238d6f95a0cbe5101a.pdf

Edited by xman

Just now, e-Roottoot said:

@IanJD

You bet i do, and other peoples tyres as well.

& weigh the wheels and tyres that are being swapped if changing them or suspension, alignment etc.

Congratulations for doing a much better job than most then ;-)

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, IanJD said:

You said

"and definitely not for steel wheels if you care about driving even a little bit"

so yes I was replying to you.

You obviously didn't read what I said, which is that *high quality expensive* alloys (like yours) are lighter, stronger and better than steel wheels, but this is often not true for *cheap lower quality* ones -- which is most of the wheels on the market when you include OEM (which are almost all cheap made-in-China ones with a manufacturer's badge stuck on), and very likely what the OP will end up with if he gets the "relatively cheap" wheels he's looking for. You yourself said that your (expensive) Ispiri alloys were 4.2kg lighter than the OEM ones, so we're not disagreeing here...

Well I fully stand by that statement. I believe it was evident (or maybe not) that I was not comparing steel alloys vs OEMs but against some decent aftermarket options which are all significantly lighter. The Superb and all Skodas in general come with awfully heavy stock alloys (In particular 19" Supernovas on my 272 were 14.7kg...) so yes, if one cares about driving feel even a little bit, the improvement they can get from a set of decent, lighter aftermarket wheels is not to be ignored as they can get rid of several kg per wheel, and that's not something you can get by any steel wheel. Speaking of which, does anyone have any idea what those ID.3 18" or 19" steelies weigh? 

For the second part, I strongly oppose to cheap replicas in general so we agree there. I also don't consider the Ispiris (1340EUR for the 19x8.5)  particularly expensive. One should be easily estimating at least 1200-1500 EUR for a quality 19" alloy set and that's actually a good price. As I said I consider wheels of almost equal importance as tires. Those 18" V1 I suggested above, coming in at 10.4kg costed 600EUR. Yes, they lack the attention to detail the Ispiris have, the finishing on the inside of the barrel and some transitions in some areas are not very refined but no-one would ever notice and all that is still perfectly acceptable I believe for a TUV certified wheel that will not break over the first pothole you drive over, especially when people buy alloys of unknown origin/quality on ebay for that price. AND they will considerably improve steering feel too as opposed to a set of steels (even if there was any acceptable design at 18" the OP is looking at)

• Like 1