Skoda Superb used car buying advice

I’m close to being convinced that a Skoda Superb is the right choice to replace our current Golf TDI which will soon fall foul of the ULEZ. However, need some advice on estate vs hatchback and also what engine choice and trim.

I’d prefer to buy used, and budget is max £20K. This needs to be petrol and automatic. Mileage is around 10-12K per year, and will be used for town driving, weekend getaways and holidays with the family (3yr and 5yr old). Questions are;

1) Any preferences on estate vs hatchback? Pros and cons? 

2) I really like the Sportline and L&K trim to give it the sporty look. Pros/cons over SEL trim?

3) What TSI engine? Estate in 1.5 TSI hard to find, but what is 2.0 TSI like? Gas guzzler? Or better option?

1) Estate looks MUCH better than hatch... Buy in red ..

2) Sportline looks sporty. L&K for ultimate kit I have SEL. It's OK

3) 2.0 Petrol of course ! Must be 272 or 280 - 280 Has Exhaust flaps so thats pretty much the one to go for ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1) Hatch looks MUCH better than estate...buy in Black...but be prepared to spend lots of time and money keeping it clean!

2) Sportline looks ugly. L&K is expensive. I have the SEL and its FAB.

3) 1.5 TSI DSG is the way to go.

As you can see from this and the above post...its all a matter of opinion.

I wish you luck in your choosing.

1 hour ago, Nick_H said:

3) 2.0 Petrol of course ! Must be 272 or 280 - 280 Has Exhaust flaps so thats pretty much the one to go for ....

280 also for the port injectors. No worries about carbon buildup. :biggrin:

On a serious note, town driving on the 280 probably means sub 10km/L. My short nursery runs are 6km/L at 2miles round trip... But I guess any car will suffer. 

Longer trips easily 11-15km/L depending how much speed you want. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick_H said:

3) 2.0 Petrol of course ! Must be 272 or 280 - 280 Has Exhaust flaps so thats pretty much the one to go for 

Best all-round car I have had. L&K 272 Hatch. Smooth and relatively economical, same mpg as my 245 Golf GTI  bigger quicker and loaded. 

BE617FA1-D3A6-407E-BE16-DA7CDDE70800.jpeg

• Like 2

In answers to your questions:

Hatch or estate would come down to how often you need the additional height you get with the estate’s tailgate. The hatch’s boot is cavernous and would be ample for most 90% of the time. 

To my (biased) eyes, the Sportline looks best. I am not a fan of chrome on cars so the blacked out look works for me. The L&C is fully loaded with kit and has a more luxurious look. 

I have the 272ps petrol and I’ve had 33 mpg overall (best of 38 on a run). It’s smooth and powerful but very refined when you want to cruise. If you’re hammering it or driving around town your mpg will be in the 20’s. I have experienced the 190 version in an Octavia and it was very nippy. Can’t comment on the 1.5 I’m afraid, but I’ve read that it’s a great engine. 

Can't speak for the hatchback but I am very pleased with my estate which as you probably know has an enormous boot.

I wondered whether the 1,5 TSI would be man enough to carry a full load and shouldn't have been concerned as it's got plenty of poke if needed (0 - 62mph in 8.8 seconds).

What really impresses me is it's fuel economy, if driven quietly. Over the past 3,000 miles on a variety of roads I have achieved average mpg of 47.8. On longer distant motorway journeys I can achieve just under 57mpg. These are not brim to brim figures so actual mpg would be a little lower. Must say though I frequently use economy mode!

As far as spec goes, I think the SE Technology is just right for me. Many of the car reviewers recommended the SE Technology as best value buy across the Superb range and I'd agree with them. Leather seats and as name suggests plenty of technology.

I keep an eye on prices and am sure you'd pick up a car like mine for well under £20K. Don't think you'd be disappointed. Good luck.

Was in a similar position to you about 3 weeks ago. Aging Octavia and 2 kids (4 / 6) with camping trips and weekend breaks meant an upgrade on space was also needed.  Budget was also pretty much the same with a trade in value of £4.5k and £16-17k to put towards. 

Coming from a vRS I was used to not having to wait to get going and wanted the punch to move a bigger car. The 280 handles this really well. Also needed to have DSG.

Went for the hatch and having just come back from a a weekend away with the family the space in the boot was more than enough. Sportsline is the best looking by far and I still enjoy seeing it on the drive or in a car park). I had to take my time to find one that was the right spec with the miles and age I wanted but eventually found a 2018 plate with less than 10k miles in budget. Warning though. They don't come up that often in that config so they good ones disappear fast. 

We managed a respectable 36mpg cruising on the motorway without trying to drive economically. I can see 40plus if taken steady. Around town it will be a kill and I would guess mid to late 20s (again not much different to the vRS).

I have had loads of experience with the 1.4 TSi 140 and 150 versions. Bought the first in 2013 in a Seat Leon and was very impressed, only 100 yards into the test drive I knew I had to have one. Kept it a very happy 3 years 8 months and during that time it averaged a true calculated (not the dash figure) 45.04 mpg.

But despite still being happy with it the car had become just too small so looked around and despite never really considering it (thought it would be too big) bought a Superb 1.4 TSi 150 hatch. To be fair its not as quick or as sharp to drive as the Leon but it did us proud for 3 years 8 months during which time it averaged a true calculated 45.08 mpg. Despite the extra size and weight I think the shape is more aerodynamic than the Leon and despite my misgivings with cylinder shut off I am sure it did help. Saw an average of 54 mpg over a week in Scotland (1000 miles). 

Both those were manuals and for our next car we decided it had to be a auto. Never really liked them but after trying some we found them to be totally fine. We had more or less decided on a Passat Estate 1.5 TSi 150 but after 2 test drives I was not totally convinced. None of the much reported kangarooing but unless you were in "sport" mode or using the paddles it just did not seem very sharp. Pretty sure the 2.0 would have been better but the mpg penalty was worrying.

If you were buying manual I would say 1.4/5 but if you are going auto I would suggest you drive both the 1.4/5 and the 2.0 before deciding.

What did we finally buy, got an iV yesterday.

7 hours ago, Norco said:

Was in a similar position to you about 3 weeks ago. Aging Octavia and 2 kids (4 / 6) with camping trips and weekend breaks meant an upgrade on space was also needed.  Budget was also pretty much the same with a trade in value of £4.5k and £16-17k to put towards. 

Coming from a vRS I was used to not having to wait to get going and wanted the punch to move a bigger car. The 280 handles this really well. Also needed to have DSG.

Went for the hatch and having just come back from a a weekend away with the family the space in the boot was more than enough. Sportsline is the best looking by far and I still enjoy seeing it on the drive or in a car park). I had to take my time to find one that was the right spec with the miles and age I wanted but eventually found a 2018 plate with less than 10k miles in budget. Warning though. They don't come up that often in that config so they good ones disappear fast. 

We managed a respectable 36mpg cruising on the motorway without trying to drive economically. I can see 40plus if taken steady. Around town it will be a kill and I would guess mid to late 20s (again not much different to the vRS).

Great to hear from someone in the exact same position. If you don’t mind, be good to find out about the thinking. What made you decide on the hatch versus the estate? Both look good, so looking for something to sway me one way or the other. Did you consider any other cars before deciding on the superb hatch?

The wife will be driving it from time to time as well - how is your other half finding it so far? It’ll be used for town driving as well as motorway cruising, so ease to live with on a daily basis important. Any other things I should be looking out for when buying used from your experience?  

As another recent purchaser I thought I'd lob my thought process in here too.  Like Norco I was coming from a vRS (freakily also a 10 plate).  I did look at other cars, but the vRS had been a very good family motor for the last decade, so Skoda had a head start.  I didn’t want an SUV, so it was down to another Octavia or a Superb.

If I got an Octavia I just know it would have been another vRS, but the reality was that I’m now a dad and lugging bikes etc around in comfort is more important than a sharp turn in – Superb it was then.  Having mentioned bikes, we had them on the roof for trips to Center Parcs etc and with a hatch the roofbar fitting went past a door seal which inevitably slightly leaked when raining.  So I was after an estate.

Prior to Covid at least, I only did short trips to work, so I wanted a petrol.  I looked at the stats for a 1.5 as well as both 2 litres and decided that coming from a vRS it had to be a 2.0.  Estate 280’s are like hens teeth, so I’ve had to settle on a 190.  By every objective measure it’s fine, and more economical than the vRS, but I still hanker after a bit more “pep”.

Spec wise I really wasn’t fussed between SEL to L&K, but a sportline came up locally and that was that.  The particular one I bought had a towbar which is great and I use it for the bikes, so with the befit of hindsight a hatch with a towbar would have been just as useful, but by that stage I’d decided on estate.

It’s absolutely brilliant on a motorway, but it’s a big car so town driving is as you’d expect.  My better half has driven it, and it was fine for controls, seating etc, but as with town driving it ain’t small and she wasn’t thrilled at the prospect of parking.  

As a final comment, others on here haven’t been too impressed with the suspension.  I’m the opposite, it still feels a bit under damped compared to a Primera eGT I once had, but seems better than the vRS and generally more composed without even rattling your teeth!  

I too recently purchased a Superb. I was convinced I needed an estate. But in the end I went with a hatchback, because boot footprint of the estate vs hatchback is the same. The height is where they differ. I went for the diesel DSG because I do the motorway miles.

In addition I went for L&K mainly because it comes with lane assist preinstalled. Not that SE-L doesn't, they are just harder to find. Since you are going for used and you want the driver assistance bits like park assist, blind spot etc then you can retrofit everything, but you  might as well save the time and effort and get it within. The traffic jam assist combined with adaptive cruise, make hell of a difference on long journeys. 

I'll just add what most have said. I have just bought a Superb too. went for the hatch versus the estate as I didnt need size, plus I think the hatch looks better.

I also looked at Octavia, both hatch and estate, but got sick of looking for the spec I wanted (leather, heated seats) and also wanted 4x4 which meant diesel in the Octavia. I also looked at Seat Ateca's but we'll not get into the SUV argument! 

I stumbled across a 280 4x4 SEL-Exec quite by accident locally and just knew I had to have it. 

Its a great car. Boot is big enough. Has everything I need spec wise (OK heated screen would be nice) but the power it has is great, and on the flip side if you drive it economically you should be able to get 35-40mpg out of it! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/10/2020 at 20:17, the_worrier said:

I have a tdi 190 hatch in SEL Exec trim with 19” wheels. I like the look of the estates also but the hatch is easily big enough for me. 

Drove 185 miles up the M5 from Plymouth to Droitwich the other day, averaging 59 mpg at 70 mph on cruise in 6th (1850 rpm).

Edited by the_worrier

On 27/10/2020 at 12:41, Nick_H said:

Have to disagree on the estate looking better (each to his own!) but just had a look again on the Skoda used approved site nationally and our cars are rather rare still - there’s only one 280 on there and that’s over £23k! Cheapest is nearly £21k for a 272, glad I decided to go for it when I did and found my sportline 280

• Like 1

The estate is more versatile and - I think - elegant rather than workhorse.

The 2L TDI 190 is advertised as ULEZ compliant.

Sportsline is sporty looking with little kit for the money. L&K is more expensive but better value for money. L&K does not have some of the nice paintwork you only get on Sportsline.

I Should have posted in this thread as more appropriate so have copied it across.

I've been thinking of changing my Mk3 1.4 Octy with only 21k on the clock for an L&K but so far not found one I liked, and I do not like the wheels on the vRS, my wife says they are horrible. Anyway, I came across this today:

https://usedcars.skoda.co.uk/en/used-cars/skoda/superb/20-tsi-190ps-dsg-laurin-klement-hmcfj5a

No idea which DSG box this has, dry or wet clutch?

So what do you owners think of this one? Looks good to me but........ Anything to look out for? Not sure if price is fair?

States Cruise Control but I would think this is Adaptive CC, am waiting for a reply from the dealer, also would insist on a spare wheel not a can of squirt!

It is the DSG7 which has a wet clutch. L&K would be my choice.

I would still barter on that price.

8700 miles could have been their demonstrator or a management car and they specced it a bit sweeter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/10/2020 at 22:01, FamilyGuy81 said:

Great to hear from someone in the exact same position. If you don’t mind, be good to find out about the thinking. What made you decide on the hatch versus the estate? Both look good, so looking for something to sway me one way or the other. Did you consider any other cars before deciding on the superb hatch?

The wife will be driving it from time to time as well - how is your other half finding it so far? It’ll be used for town driving as well as motorway cruising, so ease to live with on a daily basis important. Any other things I should be looking out for when buying used from your experience?  

Sorry, just saw your message 

Are you sorted now?

To be honest. It was a process of things. I wants something max 2-3 years old. That meant the headlines in the Octavia would be those awful split lights which put me right off. Looked elsewhere as hadn't considered a Superb. Not really an Audi or BMW man. Finally came back round to the Skoda garage to look at a new Octavia non vRS and saw a superb in the right colour and a Sportline. It was a customer's car but was sold on looks alone. Sat in an estate and the wife declared it too cavernous. I agreed with the size of the hatch boot so the decision was made. I said I wanted the 280 for the power and so it was just a case of finding one. One eventually popped up on Motorpoint and we reserved it with 2 hours of it being on the site and had it brought up. Wife is more than happy driving it. Just looking into a tow bar now to save putting bikes on the roof. 

• Like 3