Foggy windows

Greetings everyone!

Ok, so, maybe to somenone this topic would sound funny but to me it's very annoying.

So, in the past one month I became a proud owner of Škoda Octavia Combi 2.0 TDi DSG MK3 2015 and I really love the car.

Today is quite rainy weather and I had huge problems with foggy windows. I know that this phenomena depends on outside air R.H. and number of ppl in the car, but this is way to much.

I just rode myslef and my 2 kids a couple of blocks from kindergarten to home and I had to have A/C constantly turned on just to "defog" the windows.

When the A/C is turned off windwos become foggy in a minute. Just as "circulating air" button is turned on.

Before this car I used to have Opel Zafira and never had such a problem. I don't know if there is a way to check if this function is malfunctioning (e.g. circulating air always on) or this is just normal "weakness" of Škoda.

Thank everyone for understanding and replies!

Stay safe and stay well!

Greetings from Croatia!

12 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Having the a/c on and climate control in auto is the usual way to have it set. The car 'decides' the best settings to ensure fog free windows.

Unfortunately this version doesn't have climate control. And I really don't prefer to have A/C turned on during autumn/winter period.

It's always advisable to have a/c on as this also keeps the system running and lubricates all the many joints on the pipework in the system. all too often people believe that a/c is just for hot days but in actual fact the system dries the air in the car and therefore clears the windows as currently with damp conditions outside there will be dampness inside the car. not using the air con over the winter leads to o rings in the pipes shrinking and then the system loses pressure and then when you need a/c in the spring and summer it does not work any more. As you have the manual a/c i would use it at least once a week and certainly when conditions dictate like today. You should hear the difference between fresh air and recirculated air as the air flow will be different and also the windows will not clear as well in recirc mode

hope this helps

11 minutes ago, Bedexx said:

Unfortunately this version doesn't have climate control. And I really don't prefer to have A/C turned on during autumn/winter period.

That's the problem then, AC is just as useful in the autumn/winter as in the spring/summer because by cooling the air it dehumidifies it which greatly improves the speed of clearing fogged windows.

All my cars since 2000 have had AC, both auto and manual, and I have NEVER turned the AC off in any of them - even those with manual AC.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, skodavia said:

It's always advisable to have a/c on as this also keeps the system running and lubricates all the many joints on the pipework in the system. all too often people believe that a/c is just for hot days but in actual fact the system dries the air in the car and therefore clears the windows as currently with damp conditions outside there will be dampness inside the car. not using the air con over the winter leads to o rings in the pipes shrinking and then the system loses pressure and then when you need a/c in the spring and summer it does not work any more. As you have the manual a/c i would use it at least once a week and certainly when conditions dictate like today. You should hear the difference between fresh air and recirculated air as the air flow will be different and also the windows will not clear as well in recirc mode

hope this helps

Thank you for clearing this to me. I am mechanical engineer and I know the concept of drying air with A/C on but didn't know this mechanical stuff about rings and pipes. Thank you once more. When the A/C is on then there is this "moist" smell coming from the discharge grilles of A/C and I know that this is the smell of evaporator and I wonder if there is a way to clean this part so to elimate this smell?

25 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

That's the problem then, AC is just as useful in the autumn/winter as in the spring/summer because by cooling the air it dehumidifies it which greatly improves the speed of clearing fogged windows.

All my cars since 2000 have had AC, both auto and manual, and I have NEVER turned the AC off in any of them - even those with manual AC.

Thank you for reply. I will use it then ON. Thank you!

Yes there is!

You will need to go to a car parts outlet and look for some a/c disinfectant spray. I did mine a couple of weeks ago for about 6Euros. basically you set the a/c on full and set the disinfectant 'bomb' off and close the door. takes about ten mins to work it's way around the system. job done!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, skodavia said:

Yes there is!

You will need to go to a car parts outlet and look for some a/c disinfectant spray. I did mine a couple of weeks ago for about 6Euros. basically you set the a/c on full and set the disinfectant 'bomb' off and close the door. takes about ten mins to work it's way around the system. job done!

What do you mean by "set the bomb off"? You mean to, in some way, activate this spray inside the car, without spraying it over the A/C? And the A/C recirculates the air and purify itself? Please, give me some more precise explanation because this sounds quite simple and I would really like to do this. Thank you!

15 minutes ago, john999boy said:

I hate to turn the knife after it's been stuck in but the smell has probably built up due to the lack of use! :thumbup:

Yes, I think so too. Well, I'll just need to desinfect it and hope it will do the trick.

Some other things to try:

• Change or clean the pollen filter if it hasn't been done recently

• Check all carpets for damp due to water leaks

• Check spare wheel well and boot area for damp 

• If you have a sunroof, check the drains are clear

Any of these can cause excessive condensation.

Just to add, AC isn't all about cooling the air, it's conditioning the air & this includes removing excess moisture :thumbup:

Affects on mpg are minor, especially compared to driving with the window open.

All it does it cool the air, that's how it removes the moisture, by condensation. What else do you think it does to the air that might constitute 'conditioning'?

The guff about seals drying out if not used constantly is also way out of date, with modern clutchless systems circulating some refrigerant all the time, even when the system is off.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bedexx said:

What do you mean by "set the bomb off"? 

It usually comes in an aerosol can. Turn the engine and A/C on in Recirculate mode, set to come out of the dash flaps and floor (NOT front screen), get out of the car, place canister in the rear (on the transmission tunnel or in the rear centre cup holder, activate, close all doors and remain outside the car while the A/C 'inhales and exhales' the disinfectant or A/C freshener for ~ 10 minutes.
If you're in Croatia you may have Sonax or Nigrin products. Either will do.

Edited by Lee01
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bedexx said:

What do you mean by "set the bomb off"? You mean to, in some way, activate this spray inside the car, without spraying it over the A/C? And the A/C recirculates the air and purify itself? Please, give me some more precise explanation because this sounds quite simple and I would really like to do this. Thank you!

With the engine running you set the AC to recirc, then place the 'bomb' inside the car (passenger footwell is often used) then following the instructions on the 'bomb' enable it (i.e. set the bomb off) then LEAVE THE CAR and shut the doors. Then just wait as per the instructions on the bomb before opening the door and safely disposing of the new expired 'bomb'.

I've only had to use such a 'bomb' once but it certainly got rid of the musty smell.

• Like 1

Guff indeed, its been at least 15 years since VAG vehicles had an old school E/M clutch operated system but it will likely be another 15 years before the guff ceases.

I find that leaving the A/C on results in steaming up when restarting the next morning because of the condensation present on the condensor when shut down remaining in the vehicle, it does not take long for the system to clear it but if its not used in the first place it does not happen, any misting will be due to the weather conditions, wet clothing etc.

I had a vivid example of it once when returning on the Eurotunnel, I had driven 75 minutes to Folkestone, then maybe another 20 minutes around the terminal before embarquation, A/C was on & all windows clear as they were initially when I restarted after the 35 minute journey, the weather conditions at Calais were the same as at Folkestone but within 2 minutes on the rocade everything was so steamed up that even with vigourous wiping with the chamois the fan would immediately steam them up again, it was so bad that I had to stop.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

It usually comes in an aerosol can. Turn the engine and A/C on, set to come out of the dash flaps and floor (NOT front screen), get out of the car, place canister in the rear (on the transmission tunnel or in the rear centre cup holder, activate, close all doors and remain outside the car while the A/C 'inhales and exhales' the disinfectant or A/C freshener for ~ 10 minutes.
If you're in Croatia you may have Sonax or Nigrin products. Either will do.

You forgot to say that it must be set to "recirculate" for that to work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Guff indeed, its been at least 15 years since VAG vehicles had an old school E/M clutch operated system but it will likely be another 15 years before the guff ceases.

I find that leaving the A/C on results in steaming up when restarting the next morning because of the condensation present on the condensor when shut down remaining in the vehicle, it does not take long for the system to clear it but if its not used in the first place it does not happen, any misting will be due to the weather conditions, wet clothing etc.

I had a vivid example of it once when returning on the Eurotunnel, I had driven 75 minutes to Folkestone, then maybe another 20 minutes around the terminal before embarquation, A/C was on & all windows clear as they were initially when I restarted after the 35 minute journey, the weather conditions at Calais were the same as at Folkestone but within 2 minutes on the rocade everything was so steamed up that even with vigourous wiping with the chamois the fan would immediately steam them up again, it was so bad that I had to stop.

So can do you reduce moisture on the evaporator when you stop by turning off AC before hand to allow it time to evaporate?  

• Like 1

Not had this trouble consistently in my MK2 or MK3 Octavia. Both had/climate control, fortunately. As does SWMBO Picanto. November tends to be the worst month for condensation in the UK. My greenhouse is near 100% humidity today and dripping wet. When I used to drag in snow to my MK2, I  ran the heater at maximum temperature for a while before stopping.

When was the last time cabin filter changed? 

Anyway, I don't have mist at all in my car, but the climatronic takes care about humidity in the cabin (it doesn't even switch off the engine on stop when the air is humid, with appropriate S/S error reason on HU). With manual I suppose  you will need to keep A/C with heating turned on both, or occasionally to press special demisting button (can be annoying I suppose).

1 minute ago, nidza said:

When was the last time cabin filter changed? 

Anyway, I don't have mist at all in my car, but the climatronic takes care about humidity in the cabin (it doesn't even switch off the engine on stop when the air is humid, with appropriate S/S error reason on HU). With manual I suppose  you will need to keep A/C with heating turned on both, or occasionally to press special demisting button (can be annoying I suppose).

I don't know when it was changed since I just bought this used car. I have to check in maintenance calendar. Today I will buy Sonax klimacleaner and will do cleaning. After that I will see the results and, if needed, took a car to the mechanics to check A/C system and filters.

Thank you ALL for replies! You really helped!