Air filter at 60k/6 years!

Silly me. I assumed the air filter was replaced with every service, until I was looking at the details of the major service I'd just had, including cambelt and waterpump and noticed there was no air filter. So I checked last years and no air filter there either. So I checked the service schedule to find its only due at 6 years or 60k miles!! On cars I service myself, for the sake of £20 on an OEM Mann filter, I've replaced every year. I think its a bit tight of Skoda to only change at 6 years!

Did everyone else know this? Is it just me? :)

I've changed it now, so I'm looking forward to an extra mpg or two!

Nick

That does seem a bit odd?

I've heard of long life sparkplugs, etc. but never long life air filters?

I drive down a lot of country lanes too work and when I used to service my golf every 12 months I would be pulling out dead insects, twigs, leaves and the filter was normally pretty discolored by this point.

Might look at the condition of my current one as like you said, not expensive too replace with an OEM one.

• Like 2

I completely agree, no way would an air filter be left 6 years. When you look at what you actually get some of the services are an oil and filter change for a fortune.

Partly why I don't believe the service's are anything like good value. I stuck a Pipercross panel filter in mine at 6k miles. They cost less than £40 and are lifetime filters. I tried it in and out on the dyno runs and it made just less than a 2% difference power increase - a massive 5bhp so the huge power gains people get on 1.0ltr Corsa's could be a smidge exaggerated.  I'll clean it about every 10,000 - On previous cars I usually stick the OEM paper filter back in for a day or two while it dries out. 

On the subject of what they do or don't replace a little anecdote from my Daughters recent Kia service.

She has a Sportage lease car with a very good value 4 year annual service deal. I dropped it off a couple of weeks ago and left my phone number for them to ring me when its ready.

They rang with a ridiculous list of recommended extra work like aircon sanitizing,  Fuel system cleaner (redex) and a pollen filter. I'd read the service deal and ALL FILTERS were included. When I pointed it out they actually said "Well if it was done at the last service then it doesn't need doing" - So If daughter is paying it does need doing, if not then it doesn't? I checked the receipt from last service - low and behold it wasn't done. I rang them back and priced a pollen filter fitted, they said £50 + VAT. (Actually not too bad a price for a main dealer) I then told them I would like that refunded x 2 as it hadn't been done at last service and they were saying it didn't need doing this time. They said they would look into it. The service mgr called me back and said it was a misunderstanding by the receptionist, it wasn't due last service but would be done this time included in the package. 

It doesn't matter what manufacturer, dealers are all the bloody same!!

Edited by VRS_White_Hatch
Dyno runs were 297 vs 302 bhp

For over 25 years now emissions standards have required that a vehicle should be able to cover a minimum of 100000 kms without any maintenance and still remain within the permitted emissions values.

So yes, long life oils, long life sparkplugs & long life filters.

Clearly the earlier you change the engine oil & filter the better it is for the engine, the earlier that spark plugs & air filters are changed make a measurable bit not significant difference, & then of course there are the engines that eat the plugs much sooner than that.

Air filters have a much larger surface area than they used to.

As someone who keeps an obsessive eye on fuel consumption and spends money wisely on my own servicing but not wastefully I have several times taken air filters well beyond 60K miles with zero ill effects, they do get removed and shaken out and blown through in the reverse direction at low pressure, I replace them when they look degraded or start to deteriorate or if the fuel economy fell but that has yet to happen.

On my MK1 Octavia the diesel filter did over 225k miles mainly because everytime I bought one it turned out to be the wrong diameter or the unions were slightly different, I cut the old one open and it would have gone on to a million miles by the look of it, there is a very good filter on the fuel sender/pick up unit which would block long before the huge underbonnet one would & that never had any build up on it.

Leave diesel in the tank too long or use fuel from a jerrycan that has been standing too long and it will have turned waxy, I now date my jerrycans and always filter the fuel before putting it in the tank.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, VRS_White_Hatch said:

I completely agree, no way would an air filter be left 6 years. When you look at what you actually get some of the services are an oil and filter change for a fortune.

Partly why I don't believe the service's are anything like good value. I stuck a Pipercross panel filter in mine at 6k miles. They cost less than £40 and are lifetime filters. I tried it in and out on the dyno runs and it made just less than a 2% difference power increase - a massive 5bhp so the huge power gains people get on 1.0ltr Corsa's could be a smidge exaggerated.  I'll clean it about every 10,000 - On previous cars I usually stick the OEM paper filter back in for a day or two while it dries out. 

On the subject of what they do or don't replace a little anecdote from my Daughters recent Kia service.

She has a Sportage lease car with a very good value 4 year annual service deal. I dropped it off a couple of weeks ago and left my phone number for them to ring me when its ready.

They rang with a ridiculous list of recommended extra work like aircon sanitizing,  Fuel system cleaner (redex) and a pollen filter. I'd read the service deal and ALL FILTERS were included. When I pointed it out they actually said "Well if it was done at the last service then it doesn't need doing" - So If daughter is paying it does need doing, if not then it doesn't? I checked the receipt from last service - low and behold it wasn't done. I rang them back and priced a pollen filter fitted, they said £50 + VAT. (Actually not too bad a price for a main dealer) I then told them I would like that refunded x 2 as it hadn't been done at last service and they were saying it didn't need doing this time. They said they would look into it. The service mgr called me back and said it was a misunderstanding by the receptionist, it wasn't due last service but would be done this time included in the package. 

It doesn't matter what manufacturer, dealers are all the bloody same!!

Sounds about right for a main dealer... There are some good ones out there, but by Christ, there are a lot of bad ones also!

I stopped taking my golf too VW after they lost my locking wheel nut, I was there for about 3 hours arguing with them that it was in the car when I arrived in the car. I also argued the fact that they took the wheels off to check my brake pads and discs condition (too which the service Manager agreed with.

After repeatedly asking them to check the workshop and feeling just a little irate by this point, the service Manager goes into the workshop, re-appears 5 minutes later (with a swagger in his step) with my locking wheel nut! Literally drops it in my hand and walks off without a word of apology.

The problem is at re-sale time everyone wants a service history and one from a main dealer at that! I kept all my receipts, used OEM servicing parts, the best oil I could get and my 90,000 mile MK5 golf ran like a dream. Still when I sold it all I got where messages saying "FSH bruv?". I eventually sold it for a few hundred less than it was worth.

I don't intend too keep my VRS for longer than about 3 years and my next 2 services are paid for already as part of the sale, so will keep the history up even though I feel I'm being mugged off.

• Like 1

Up until the end 2019 Skoda UK still had the Air filter change at 4 years / 40,000 miles on the £289 Major service.

So that was at the 2nd and 4th major service.

Even though you were paying the same price for major services if the parts were supplied on not at the 1st and 3rd major service.

Now that have it at the 2nd Extended Scope service.

As it is checking annually is the least people should be doing.

There is location location location to affect air filters, like sitting behind buses and taxis in some cities or towns around the UK that have never heard of low emissions yet for public transport.

post-117788-0-43360900-1401741025.jpg

Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 22.54.52.png

Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 22.56.03.png

Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 22.55.16.png

Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 22.55.43.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

on my service last month, which was down as being a major, I had to say don't change the air and pollen filters. Don't need the pollen filter doing as it's easy enough for me to do (plus with lockdown I've not exactly done the anticipated mileage to warrant changing it) and the air filter is a Ken and Nigel and is still relatively clean anyways.

That was why I was against paying for the monthly service plan as I knew it was potentially going to mean I'd be paying for things which my car doesn't need.

14 hours ago, andyknoxville said:

Still when I sold it all I got where messages saying "FSH bruv?". I eventually sold it for a few hundred less than it was worth.

But you probably saved more than that by having it serviced elsewhere. Swings and roundabouts and you knew the service had been done properly by someone you trust..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seriesdriver said:

cabin and air filters are as cheap as chips and take about 5 mins to change so since car went out of warranty  I change my own cabin filter every year, air filter every two years.

But if your a real tight arse like me the question is ... Would you do it in warranty?

I had my last car from new 10 years. It had no dealer servicing. I probably saved a minimum 2.5K. My wife's car was from 08 until this year. Probably saved £1.5k

Neither required any warrantee work. I have the funds but not the inclination to pay £180 for an oil and filter change, never mind the £285 I was quoted. 

But what about the Warrantee?? 

I'll take my chances again I think. 

(Await the thread where I complain bitterly about a problem they won't fix!!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VRS_White_Hatch said:

This is my kind of luck!

Unless your really unlucky with a car, I still think that if you look after them they tend to be OK.

I let my car warm-up before pulling away (rev's drop down too normal idle), don't thrash it from cold, try to avoid hard braking, check fluids and tyre pressures regularly. Wash it regularly and touch up paint chips where possible, etc.

3 hours ago, VRS_White_Hatch said:

But if your a real tight arse like me the question is ... Would you do it in warranty?

I had my last car from new 10 years. It had no dealer servicing. I probably saved a minimum 2.5K. My wife's car was from 08 until this year. Probably saved £1.5k

Neither required any warrantee work. I have the funds but not the inclination to pay £180 for an oil and filter change, never mind the £285 I was quoted. 

But what about the Warrantee?? 

I'll take my chances again I think. 

With long life servicing it would seem a sensible choice to have one dealer service to keep a warranty that may pay for a new engine or other major expense if something failed prematurely . I know you can use independent servicing to the same standard and keep warranty but it gives you another hoop to jump in the event of a claim     

• Like 1

Guidelines only,  Service to Manufacturers recommendations or guidelines it says in the Warranty T&C's.

Low mileage users might well not want to replace consumables, but should at least have their condition checked, and the vehicles maintained and inspected.

In the UK it can be 3 years from the car was built or longer before it is found out that the headlight alignment is out. 

It could be many years before the wheels are ever removed, maybe even years until the tyre pressures get checked if no warnings are given.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

On 18/11/2020 at 16:04, andyknoxville said:

I let my car warm-up before pulling away (rev's drop down too normal idle), don't thrash it from cold, try to avoid hard braking, check fluids and tyre pressures regularly. Wash it regularly and touch up paint chips where possible, etc.

Ah, thats the worst thing you can do, aparently. Letting the car warm up slowly at idle creates more wear than just driving it straight away which lets the oil pressure and temperature build more quickly, protecting the engine. Honest, there's science behind it :)

Obviously, don't thrash it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NikTheGeek said:

Ah, thats the worst thing you can do, aparently. Letting the car warm up slowly at idle creates more wear than just driving it straight away which lets the oil pressure and temperature build more quickly, protecting the engine. Honest, there's science behind it :)

Obviously, don't thrash it.

Oh wow! I didn't actually know that! You would think it would be counterproductive not letting it warm up and let the oil move around?

Thanks for letting me know though, definitely worth looking into.

Someone explained it to me as driving gently allows the air flow over the rad/engine bay to spread the heat around in a more consistent manner.  Also gets the g'box oil doing the same thing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, andyknoxville said:

Oh wow! I didn't actually know that! You would think it would be counterproductive not letting it warm up and let the oil move around?

Thanks for letting me know though, definitely worth looking into.

Here is an Engineering Explained video explaining the reasoning behind it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKALgXDwou4&t=122s

Edited by NikTheGeek
  • Thanks 1

A couple of old and new pictures for the air filter! I picked one up for £15 delivered on eBay last week and fitted this morning.

The cars had 3 services and I'm 99% sure that the airfliter wasn't changed on any of them.

Takes literally 5 minutes and for the cost, it's well worth doing 😁

20201121_122426.jpg

20201121_122414.jpg

• Like 3

Nothing at all wrong with the old one, that would have been good for another 100K.

You should see what used filters used to look like before well designed intake tracts and large filter elements, thats why I laugh when I see people removing the whole shooting match and fitting a tiny so called high flow cone filter which will be black as the ace of spades in no time at all.

• Like 2