MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure

Jelugs

On 16/03/2021 at 11:06, CJJE said:

Why are they doing this? Well one of the major implications is that like all other VAG customers we will no longer be able to download free map updates for 5 years as we could with the MIB1 & 2 systems, and now will only be able to update our maps by subscribing to the Skoda Infotainment Online Service at 70€ a year. 

Chris

I didn't renew my free Skoda Connect once it ran out at the end of the first year

I have the SD card system in my Karoq and currently the dealer updates the card mapping at my annual service.

Does this mean they will stop doing it for free after 5 years, or is this just a dealer/customer local arrangement?

tom

On 16/03/2021 at 11:06, CJJE said:

Why are they doing this? Well one of the major implications is that like all other VAG customers we will no longer be able to download free map updates for 5 years as we could with the MIB1 & 2 systems, and now will only be able to update our maps by subscribing to the Skoda Infotainment Online Service at 70€ a year.

@CJJEdo you have a link that confirms that the download free updates is only for 5 years? I ask because neither the Skoda nor VW map download sites have updates for MIB1 Amundsen maps and the MIB1 Amundsen was last fitted to cars built in May 2015. Skoda UK haven't bothered to reply to my email asking why the usual 6 monthly update didn' t happen in week 45 of 2020...

38 minutes ago, Sanqhar said:

I didn't renew my free Skoda Connect once it ran out at the end of the first year

I have the SD card system in my Karoq and currently the dealer updates the card mapping at my annual service.

Does this mean they will stop doing it for free after 5 years, or is this just a dealer/customer local arrangement?

tom

Does your dealer charge you for updating the maps? Skoda's Update Portal only mentions that if you have problems doing it then the dealer can do it for you, but it implies they will charge for the service. 

The 5 year limit seems to be linked to how long Skoda CZ will make the updated maps available on the website. So as long as the dealer can download them (presumably keeping a copy on their local server to transfer to your SD card) it will be their commercial decision as to how long they will provide the service and how much it will cost, IMHO.

Chris

22 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

@CJJEdo you have a link that confirms that the download free updates is only for 5 years? I ask because neither the Skoda nor VW map download sites have updates for MIB1 Amundsen maps and the MIB1 Amundsen was last fitted to cars built in May 2015. Skoda UK haven't bothered to reply to my email asking why the usual 6 monthly update didn' t happen in week 45 of 2020...

Not that I can find :( 

The topic came up last year when I was considering buying a Karoq but put off by the statement here ŠKODA SatNav updates | Lancashire & Greater Manchester | RRG ŠKODA (rrg-group.com) that Skoda only provide free updates for three years. But when I queried this on the forum, I was assured that in practice Skoda were still letting you download updated maps after the three years had expired. 

But now I see the Update Portal at Update portal (skoda-auto.com) only mentions the MIB2 systems, so it looks like the MIB1 systems are no longer being offered updates. Other threads on this forum have suggested that you can download the VW file instead (from Volkswagen Map Updates ) and use that one successfully? (See Amundsen MIB1 Map Update 2020-2021 - Page 2 - Skoda Audio, Electronics and Security - BRISKODA)

Chris

Edited by CJJE

21 hours ago, JohnD5314 said:

Does your Kodiaq have road sign recognition - that overrides standard speed limits.

Thanks for this clue! I know that this is the Amundsen thread, but my dealer said I would need a newer system on my Kodiaq to dynamically give speed warnings and my only option was to set a single, max speed via the cluster display.

Lo and behold, yes, there is a camera with a setting in the Nav menus for Dynamic speed signs which does everything needed to  avoid more speeding points!

Next Friday the Karoq (new last December) on factory advice via Skoda support will be updated at my local dealer..... lets see what actually gets fixed.

49 minutes ago, CJJE said:

But now I see the Update Portal at Update portal (skoda-auto.com) only mentions the MIB2 systems, so it looks like the MIB1 systems are no longer being offered updates. Other threads on this forum have suggested that you can download the VW file instead (from Volkswagen Map Updates ) and use that one successfully? (See Amundsen MIB1 Map Update 2020-2021 - Page 2 - Skoda Audio, Electronics and Security - BRISKODA)

The Skoda Update Portal does still show maps for the MIB1 Amundsen if you enter a VIN - but it's the 2020/21 map from June 2020 not the expected 2021 map from November 2020.

I've used the VW file (and can confirm that it is 100% identical to the Skoda map) but the VW website is also only offering the 2020/21 map from June 2020 - yes it says it been updated in November but it's lying (I've done a 100% comparison with the June map and it's identical).

So it seems the three year or five year limit is unproven? I'll have to hassle Skoda UK AGAIN :wall:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

The Skoda Update Portal does still show maps for the MIB1 Amundsen if you enter a VIN - but it's the 2020/21 map from June 2020 not the expected 2021 map from November 2020.

That's interesting as when I enter my MY21 Karoq VIN (which as a MIB3 Amundsen, the portal insists I can use the MIB2 maps on an SD card!

I'd assumed it only checked that the VIN was current, and a Karoq as it clearly didn't know I needed MIB3 maps. 

Chris

17 hours ago, CJJE said:

Does your dealer charge you for updating the maps? Skoda's Update Portal only mentions that if you have problems doing it then the dealer can do it for you, but it implies they will charge for the service. 

The 5 year limit seems to be linked to how long Skoda CZ will make the updated maps available on the website. So as long as the dealer can download them (presumably keeping a copy on their local server to transfer to your SD card) it will be their commercial decision as to how long they will provide the service and how much it will cost, IMHO.

Chris

My dealer (Vindis, Bury St Edmunds) does it when they do the annual service.  So far they haven’t charged me.  I have to ask them to do it for me

At the moment I don’t have a means of connecting a SD card to my MacBook (itself a further complication)

Tom

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hopped in the car yesterday and this popped up on the screen. Also noticed my maps have updated to latest version also. 

So it seems it is working automatically over the air! 

I wonder if that fact I forced the issue of my dealer ‘activating’ Skoda Connect app so I have the full control including lock/unlock via the app that all this is working without intervention from myself??

I read a lot of posts both here and on Karoq Facebook group where people say the Connect App is rubbish or doesn’t work and I also get the feeling that ‘most’ (not all) dealers are not activating this on handover perhaps this is where people are falling short of their updates. There’s more to the account than just knowing location of your car, geofencing, remote lock/unlock etc. Maybe having your ‘shop’ activated helps? 

I work for Daimler and all our new cars are over the air updates for most things but it’s down to customer to have an account set up but us as a dealer network to ‘ok’ the customer once account set up. I suspect VWG aren’t far different as most control units are probably made by similar manufacturers I.e Bosch, Becker, Harman etc. then supplied. 

C1B2EEE0-3899-4E7A-9772-556E2E4EB9B1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Karoq2020 said:

I wonder if that fact I forced the issue of my dealer ‘activating’ Skoda Connect app so I have the full control including lock/unlock via the app that all this is working without intervention from myself??

1 hour ago, Karoq2020 said:

Interesting , as my maps are out of date, with no update showing up, how do you know whether full control of connect is activated correctly by the dealer?, tried mine and have no control over lock/unlock either, it tells me to take my driving licence to my dealer, so who knows whether anything  else is not connected correctly?

3 minutes ago, Bryfly said:

Yup you must have the dealer ‘activate’ you for full control. It took a few days of chasing my dealer to do this when I brought it as originally all I had was honk & flash nothing else worked 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Karoq2020 said:

Yup you must have the dealer ‘activate’ you for full control. It took a few days of chasing my dealer to do this when I brought it as originally all I had was honk & flash nothing else worked 

Well I've had a system update and map update without my dealer activating the lock-unlock feature. In fact that was a sore point because I specifically asked the sales manager to activate it when I picked my car up, and he categorically denied it was necessary. And when I told what I'd been reading from other owners he told me it must have been because they were buying demo cars! 

Sure enough I don't have the remote lock/unlock feature working, but the honk and flash, parking spot and car status all do. But having thought about it some more, I've decided a remote lock-unlock feature may be more of a security hazard than a benefit anyway. 

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/03/2021 at 18:25, Jelugs said:

Yes it is safely filed with a backup!!

I will reply with some clarification questions, obviously will keep you all posted 

stay safe

Eric

An update guys:-

Dear Mr ..........

Thank you for your patience in awaiting a response to your previous email.

Regarding an additional year ŠKODA Connect Services for customers who have purchased vehicles whilst under the restrictions, this is not something we intend to extend. I would like to apologise for this. 

The map update instructions should be translated before the anniversary for your registration however, we do not have an estimated time frame as to when this may look to be released.

Of course, should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Thank you for contacting ŠKODA UK.

Kind regards

Jennifer-Louize Todd
Customer Relations Manager
ŠKODA UK | Selectapost 34 | Sheffield | S97 3FA
Tel:  0333 0037504  
[email protected] | www.skoda.co.uk | www.skoda-auto.com

Can’t  say I am exactly enthralled with the reply, at least with all the hassle they are giving customers over the update scenario and the severe mileage restrictions we are all suffering, that they could have given us an extra free Connect year!

Also to say that it will have been a year before I get my Sat Nav update instructions is lamentable. It can’t take that long to translate!!!

Not sure if we are really moving forward but always happy to hear anymore information if anyone has any?

Regards and stay safe guys.

1 hour ago, Jelugs said:

Can’t  say I am exactly enthralled with the reply, at least with all the hassle they are giving customers over the update scenario and the severe mileage restrictions we are all suffering, that they could have given us an extra free Connect year!

Also to say that it will have been a year before I get my Sat Nav update instructions is lamentable. It can’t take that long to translate!!!

Not sure if we are really moving forward but always happy to hear anymore information if anyone has any?

Regards and stay safe guys.

Not a very friendly response by Skoda under the circumstances.

You are probably also following the other SOS thread.

From my position, the Amundsen 'system' in its V3 guise fails miserably on many fronts. The SOS error messages and the phone being cut off, loss of GPS signal and wrong position on the map, Inability to select destinations from the phone contacts addresses (which my 4 year old Columbus does very well indeed), the inability to send a destination or route via the connect App and of course this topic of map updates. 

I am sure there are many of us who could find someone who could translate Czech to English in less than 3 months! I did hear that with a multiple button press you could enter an engineering mode where you 'might' be able to update maps from a USB C memory stick but that was second hand info.

Due to not being able to enjoy the advertised services I will be pressing hard for an FOC extension to the Connect services as the functionality has not been provided 'as sold' with the vehicle.

Over 5 months in now from a new car and reporting issues in the first week of use is just not good enough. 

A great shame that the Amundsen is badly  letting down what is otherwise an excellent car.

Next week I have been booked in to get a software update at the garage so will be keen to see what that solves. (interesting as just last week after a garage visit  I was told that the car was completely up to date!)

From some reports I have heard that VW are potentially losing sales from customers trying new cars with the V3 SatNav as customers hate it.

1 hour ago, stewartv said:

From my position, the Amundsen 'system' in its V3 guise fails miserably on many fronts. The SOS error messages and the phone being cut off, loss of GPS signal and wrong position on the map, Inability to select destinations from the phone contacts addresses (which my 4 year old Columbus does very well indeed), the inability to send a destination or route via the connect App and of course this topic of map updates. 

I am sure there are many of us who could find someone who could translate Czech to English in less than 3 months! I did hear that with a multiple button press you could enter an engineering mode where you 'might' be able to update maps from a USB C memory stick but that was second hand info.

Due to not being able to enjoy the advertised services I will be pressing hard for an FOC extension to the Connect services as the functionality has not been provided 'as sold' with the vehicle.

Over 5 months in now from a new car and reporting issues in the first week of use is just not good enough. 

A great shame that the Amundsen is badly  letting down what is otherwise an excellent car.

Next week I have been booked in to get a software update at the garage so will be keen to see what that solves. (interesting as just last week after a garage visit  I was told that the car was completely up to date!)

From some reports I have heard that VW are potentially losing sales from customers trying new cars with the V3 SatNav as customers hate it.

Excellent confirmation of my thoughts, I simply cannot believe they won’t extend the FOC Connect service, as you say

1 hour ago, stewartv said:

Excellent comments, in line with my thoughts, not extending the FOC Connect is deplorable. As you say an excellent car and rubbish Sat Nav back up service. I will be pressing again( we could all do this) for them to extend the Connect service without charge. Will keep you posted

Regards

Do we really know how this useless sat nav system updates, im on version 19.1 while I have seen reports of others being on 20+, I keep waiting while driving around to get a message pop up on screen about an update,  the little world in the top of the screen is a grey colour which I'm led to believe means it is connected,  so can we trigger an update in settings somehow, or do we just wait for Skoda / VW to push it out when they get a spare minute?

On 15/04/2021 at 22:46, Jelugs said:

Excellent confirmation of my thoughts, I simply cannot believe they won’t extend the FOC Connect service, as you say

Excellent comments, in line with my thoughts, not extending the FOC Connect is deplorable. As you say an excellent car and rubbish Sat Nav back up service. I will be pressing again( we could all do this) for them to extend the Connect service without charge. Will keep you posted

Regards

I have written again to the contact mentioned in previous correspondence saying that i cant accept that Skoda wont accept an extra free year for the Connect system.

Iin view of the fact that without proper instructions, map update nightmare etc etc they have sold a car with a Sat Nav more or less not fit for purpose, can you imagine buying a new washing machine with all electronic controls and being supplied with the manual for the previous model!!!! It beggars belief, what is such a shame is that i think, this apart, the Karoq is a great car.

I know its a bit of hassle but If more of you want to badger the contact we have, i dont think it will do us any harm.

Regards to all

On 17/04/2021 at 10:37, Jelugs said:

I have written again to the contact mentioned in previous correspondence saying that i cant accept that Skoda wont accept an extra free year for the Connect system.

Iin view of the fact that without proper instructions, map update nightmare etc etc they have sold a car with a Sat Nav more or less not fit for purpose, can you imagine buying a new washing machine with all electronic controls and being supplied with the manual for the previous model!!!! It beggars belief, what is such a shame is that i think, this apart, the Karoq is a great car.

I know its a bit of hassle but If more of you want to badger the contact we have, i dont think it will do us any harm.

Regards to all

Hi Everyone,

Well, further to the above, I have been given my marching orders in no uncertain terms. This is the reply I promised to share with you when  it arrived:-

Re: Karoq SE Drive – ******

Dear Mr *****

Thank you for your return contact.

I understand that you are disappointed with this situation. However, there are no faults with your vehicle and we would not be looking to extend the ŠKODA Connect Services as a result of the national lockdown.

I would like to apologise that this is not the response you were hoping for. A there is nothing further I can assist with, I will be looking to close the file as our position will not change.

Thank you for contacting ŠKODA UK.

Kind regards

Needless to say I am disgusted with their stance but seems there is no where to go now, they have won the battle!   ( Glad i kept my free for life updates etc on my Garmin!!)

Stay safe everyone

Regards

11 minutes ago, Jelugs said:

Hi Everyone,

Well, further to the above, I have been given my marching orders in no uncertain terms. This is the reply I promised to share with you when  it arrived:-

Re: Karoq SE Drive – ******

Dear Mr *****

Thank you for your return contact.

I understand that you are disappointed with this situation. However, there are no faults with your vehicle and we would not be looking to extend the ŠKODA Connect Services as a result of the national lockdown.

I would like to apologise that this is not the response you were hoping for. A there is nothing further I can assist with, I will be looking to close the file as our position will not change.

Thank you for contacting ŠKODA UK.

Kind regards

Needless to say I am disgusted with their stance but seems there is no where to go now, they have won the battle!   ( Glad i kept my free for life updates etc on my Garmin!!)

Stay safe everyone

Regards

Seems like whoever wrote that reply needs to go back to "The School of Customer Relations", as they obviously failed the first time they attended....

• Groan 1

I would challenge that on 2 counts ;

1. I was told by customer services to send a route/destination to the Amundsen using the connect App (or Portal). It does not work. No error messages - it just does not arrive at the car.

2. Try selecting a destination from your phone contacts - that reports an invalid format message but my Columbus works fine. (Samsung S9+ so not an obscure phone).

Those alone should be grounds for a system failing to perform as advertised?

My wife's car (Karoq) with the dreaded Amundsen V3 will be going to the garage for 2 days so I will let you know what happens.

I have formally lodged (and the garage have confirmed) that;

1. Cannot send destinations via the Connect App 

2. Phone contacts fail with invalid format error message when selecting a destination for the satnav

3. SOS alarm goes off sporadically

4. GPS loses position

5. No manual update process for Maps (but maybe coming soon as reported on these forums?)

I take the position that I was sold (at a premium) a modern satnav and the features included have not been delivered, and the Satnav is not the same as tested on my test drive.

In June 2020 Skoda issues a press release claiming...

"....What’s more, desired destinations can be transferred directly from the ŠKODA Connect app to the navigation system."

when I sent a video clip of the process failing Skoda had to admit it was a problem.

6 minutes ago, stewartv said:

Software update done - no change in behaviour......

Was this update on your karoq, if so was it an over air auto update or done in the garage

1 minute ago, Bryfly said:

Was this update on your karoq, if so was it an over air auto update or done in the garage

Skoda specifically requested that I take the car to my local dealer.

Although there was a parallel thread on SOS failures, Skoda could at least acknowledge there are several areas of concern

I have just sent to my garage a video showing the old Columbus taking a destination from my phone and the latest Amundsen V3 fails using the same contact and phone.

I also sent a series of images showing that sending a destination via the Connect App (as instructed a few months ago to do by Skoda support) also fails to arrive at the car. This was announced last June by Skoda as a benefit of the new V3 Infotainment systems. This works perfectly on my 4 year old Columbus.

without wishing to take this thread off-track, is there any information anywhere about how to update poi's on the Amundsen system? I've got the 2019 Karoq with the Mib2 Amundsen setup with two SD card slots.

Any advice appreciated.