Has anyone tried or installed the Koni Special Active?

Looking for information about a good suspension system and having had the duo Bilstein B6 + eibach springs mounted, I think that for the Superb and to carry children during European trans trips they can be too hard.  

Información have read I have seen some videos about the Koni, but I do not get anything clear, some say that very well others that they are softer and bouncy, nobody knows if they can be put with shorter springs ... 

So, I hope someone from the  forum get to know them closely.

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas.

12 minutes ago, Bigeater said:

Koni actives are fitted to my combi. There's no 'bouncing' any more. I'm still running on the factory springs.

Get some fitted, it will be a comfier ride for your passengers.

With sportline springs can they be installed?  do they lift the body like the Bilsteins?  Is it true that they get harder in fast corners and softer in low speed potholes?

2 hours ago, UndertheRadar said:

Have you tried the Bilsteins with standard springs?

I had the B6 with sport springs (-2 centimeters) in a Ford Focus XR and it lifted the car so much that it looked like a Citroen Berlingo ...

5 hours ago, Gabrielem said:

With sportline springs can they be installed?  do they lift the body like the Bilsteins?  Is it true that they get harder in fast corners and softer in low speed potholes?

Yes they work with sportline springs. No they don't increase the ride height.

they are definitely not more bouncy than OEM. 

the problem with the superb is that the OEM shocks are under damped, so they don't have great control over the rebound of the shocks. Konis will fix that. They are not a full on sport suspension, but are a massive improvement.

have you ever mixed cornflower in water? When you do, you end up with a paste that's like water when you stir it slowly, but if you try to stir quickly the liquid turns solid. That's what the Koni shocks are like. If you compress the shocks slowly then it's like the OEM shocks, but if you try to compress the shocks quickly then they firm up.

They get rid of any bounce, massively improve handling without compromising ride quality. For me, this is how the car should have left the factory. 

there's a picture of my car with Konis in the link, second post.

Edited by TheBinarySheep
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TheBinarySheep said:

Sí, funcionan con resortes sportline. No, no aumentan la altura de conducción.

¿Alguna vez has mezclado aciano en agua? Cuando lo haces, terminas con una pasta que es como agua cuando la revuelves lentamente, pero si intentas revolver rápidamente, el líquido se vuelve sólido. Así son los amortiguadores de Koni. Si comprime los amortiguadores lentamente, es como los amortiguadores OEM, pero si intenta comprimir los amortiguadores rápidamente, se reafirman.

Eliminan cualquier rebote y mejoran enormemente el manejo sin comprometer la calidad de conducción. Para mí, así es como debería haber salido el coche de fábrica. 

hay una foto de mi auto con Konis en el enlace, segunda publicación.

Is black yours? You have Sportline springs and koni Special Active.

Do you think it is better than a Bilsein B12 suspension in terms of compromise "sporty" driving and ride comfort?

Can sportline springs be bought somewhere? I have the normal suspension but with the extra of roads in bad condition ...

Thank you very much.

8 hours ago, Gabrielem said:

Is black yours? You have Sportline springs and koni Special Active.

Do you think it is better than a Bilsein B12 suspension in terms of compromise "sporty" driving and ride comfort?

Can sportline springs be bought somewhere? I have the normal suspension but with the extra of roads in bad condition ...

Thank you very much.

yes, mine is the black one with standard sportline springs and koni shocks.

ive not tried the Bilstein shocks so I can't compare.

the Koni shocks are designed to work with OEM springs, so she should work with your standard springs. Fitting sportline springs will lower your car slightly. I'm sure you will be able to get sportline springs from a Skoda dealer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBinarySheep said:

sí, el mío es el ***** con resortes sportline estándar y amortiguadores koni.

No he probado los amortiguadores Bilstein, así que no puedo compararlos.

los amortiguadores Koni están diseñados para funcionar con resortes OEM, por lo que debería trabajar con sus resortes estándar. La instalación de resortes sportline bajará ligeramente su automóvil. Estoy seguro de que podrá conseguir resortes deportivos en un concesionario Skoda.

Thank you very much again, I think I have already chosen the set from what you tell me.

3 hours ago, Angelo Amato said:

He pedido el amortiguador de Koni para mi propiedad Sportline, no en stock en el Reino Unido, por lo que puede pasar un tiempo antes de que lo obtenga ... 

Please do not stop telling us that you have changed.

On 23/12/2020 at 15:49, facet edge said:

Would the Bilsteins so the car crashing through potholes?

When this happens to me I wince because it sounds like something could get broken.

It depends on the springs you have mounted ...

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this as I'm in same position - I want to swap pout the standard dampers and replace with Koni special active. I've a got an 18 plate sportline 220TSI hatch, presumably these are the correct parts:

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/1347023/skoda/koni-special-active-front-dampers/8745-1388.html

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/1347024/skoda/koni-special-active-rear-dampers/8245-1387.html

No idea for the RARB, any suggestions? I fitted a whiteline to my mk fl octavia vRS a few years ago that worked a treat, so something similar in terms of result is what I'm hopeing for.

TIA

45 minutes ago, stever750 said:

Resurrecting this as I'm in same position - I want to swap pout the standard dampers and replace with Koni special active. I've a got an 18 plate sportline 220TSI hatch, presumably these are the correct parts:

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/1347023/skoda/koni-special-active-front-dampers/8745-1388.html

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/1347024/skoda/koni-special-active-rear-dampers/8245-1387.html

No idea for the RARB, any suggestions? I fitted a whiteline to my mk fl octavia vRS a few years ago that worked a treat, so something similar in terms of result is what I'm hopeing for.

TIA

Yes' they're right (assuming yours is non DCC and non 4WD).

With regards to a rear ARB, I was going to do mine also but I'm pretty happy with the results after just fitting the shocks so I'd suggest you just try them first

Edited by Angelo Amato
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Angelo Amato said:

Yes' they're right (assuming yours is non DCC and non 4WD).

With regards to a rear ARB, I was going to do mine also but I'm pretty happy with the results after just fitting the shocks so I'd suggest you just try them first

Mine is standard 220TSI, so no DCC or AWD. How well do the uprated dampers cure understeer though? That's where the RARB in my Octy made a huge difference. I wouldn't want to go too stiff and up in a leery oversteering monster, but just to tighten the nose a bit on turn in. I know it's got the XDS fitted, but as that's nowhere near as effective as the VAQ on the Octy I have just lost, so some form of under / torque steer will always be there.

Edited by stever750

I'm still looking for springs in Spain that lower the stock that are PPD and not Eibach-3 for a 190 TDI 4x4 from 2016, if anyone knows models and references I will appreciate it.

41 minutes ago, Gabrielem said:

I'm still looking for springs in Spain that lower the stock that are PPD and not Eibach-3 for a 190 TDI 4x4 from 2016, if anyone knows models and references I will appreciate it.

Have a look here, easy to search / select by model type:

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/improve/uprated-suspension/suspension-kits.html

7 minutes ago, Esseesse200 said:

Can confirm they work amazingly with H&R springs but that will lower the ride. Very nice shocks 👍🏻

2DF62971-C530-4684-A45A-8878EC735E10.jpeg

Looks great, a bit lower than I would like it. I think max 20mm for me, if I was going to change the springs. 

1 hour ago, stever750 said:

Looks great, a bit lower than I would like it. I think max 20mm for me, if I was going to change the springs. 

Just what I need to remove excess height from the PPD

I follow this channel, lots of interesting fact based insights into auto topics, this is an interesting one on suspension mods for road cars. He does one on soft v stiff springs which is really useful if you've not grasped the importance of spring rates etc. He does acknowledge the importance of road feel on performance, as this inspires confidence; but bottom line is you won't necessarily increase grip significantly with upgrades. I'm just going to change the dampers on my car, I see no benefit in making any other changes tbh.