Has anyone tried or installed the Koni Special Active?

On 04/01/2022 at 12:26, stever750 said:

Mine is standard 220TSI, so no DCC or AWD. How well do the uprated dampers cure understeer though? That's where the RARB in my Octy made a huge difference. I wouldn't want to go too stiff and up in a leery oversteering monster, but just to tighten the nose a bit on turn in. I know it's got the XDS fitted, but as that's nowhere near as effective as the VAQ on the Octy I have just lost, so some form of under / torque steer will always be there.

I fitted an Eibach 25mm RARB to my 220 TSI.  Delighted with the outcome!  Far less rolly in the bends & in doing so has sharpened up steering response.   

Plan for the KONIs sometime but my budget only went as far as new ARB

On 05/01/2022 at 16:59, Duggerchopz said:

I fitted an Eibach 25mm RARB to my 220 TSI.  Delighted with the outcome!  Far less rolly in the bends & in doing so has sharpened up steering response.   

Plan for the KONIs sometime but my budget only went as far as new ARB

Where did you get it from, which version etc? If you have a link, would be great!

6 hours ago, Duggerchopz said:

Found it second hand but unused on eBay. Some guy had bought a pair for his MK7 golf GTI but only wanted the front ARB.  I think it was £160 posted

that's the disadvantage of the Eibachs - they don't sell the front & rear bars individually, only as a set.

i ended up getting a Hardrace Suspension 25.4mm rear sway bar for my 220.  

I’ve took my koni and h&r’s off today because I’m trading in for a 272 from my diesel and my goodness that’s when you notice the difference. It’s all squishy weird haha. 
konis will be going straight back on the new one that’s for sure lol 

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/01/2022 at 07:10, stever750 said:

Ordered a, set of konis, will be here in 2 weeks as coming from Holland (thanks Brexit). Anyhow, more to the point, how much typically does it cost to get them fitted? £200 ish? 

How did you end up going once these were put on?

Hi everyone here! New member, following this thread since I’m interested in doing something like in my Estate. 
I only did retrofit shocks once in another car. Then I chose bilsteins+eibach kit and I was really happy with results. But that was an sports two seater roadster and I was almost 20 years younger. Lol. 
So I’ve been reading what you have done in your cars and now I’m interested in the Koni active ones. Maybe with some new springs. I still don’t know which kind. 
My car it’s an 2019 Estate model and it doesn’t have DCC no sports suspension neither, with all the waving!! 🚢 

502ADF7C-9528-48C3-89D8-C87554887F5C.jpeg

• Like 1

I had the Koni Special Actives installed on Tuesday, and the car feels fantastic! 

No more unnecessary bouncing and wallowing over bumps. Firm but not harsh over rougher roads, still plenty of give and comfort. 

Highly recommended! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, amateurdad said:

I had the Koni Special Actives installed on Tuesday, and the car feels fantastic! 

Did you keep the factory springs? I don’t want to low the car excessively. 

14 minutes ago, amateurdad said:

No more unnecessary bouncing and wallowing over bumps. Firm but not harsh over rougher roads, still plenty of give and comfort. 

Highly recommended! 

Good to know. I've been considering fitting them to our Karoq 190 TDI which can get a bit bouncy when making good progress on bumpy roads. 

19 minutes ago, amateurdad said:

Yep stock Sportline springs 

That's what I'm doing. I don't want to change ride height, and the softer springs mean better grip anyway on UK roads. 

My konis are being delivered tomorrow, but struggling to get them fitted before another week or so. 

Edited by stever750
  • Love it! 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Gabrielem said:

Can you post a photo of the result? Thanks.

Koni special actives with H&R on.. car sold now but have retained the koni is so will be fitting them to the new 272 

I do however have a set of H&R springs for sale for a 4wd diesel estate if you want them 

AF2E0A70-B717-4862-9844-A67864B409A5.jpeg

9F592F9D-7C58-48D3-9A76-49C13433BFFC.jpeg

@Esseesse200 do you know the tech specs of the springs? I'm looking at alternatives to eibach prokit just to see what there is. Don't want too much drop as I want to make sure the shocks are still in their sweet spot.

13 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

@Esseesse200 do you know the tech specs of the springs? I'm looking at alternatives to eibach prokit just to see what there is. Don't want too much drop as I want to make sure the shocks are still in their sweet spot.

These will drop around 15mm from sportline spec.. or 30mm standard spec.  I spoke to koni about using lowering springs with the fsd’s and they say as long as it’s less than 40mm drop they are totally happy and will work as normal 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Esseesse200 said:

These will drop around 15mm from sportline spec.. or 30mm standard spec.  I spoke to koni about using lowering springs with the fsd’s and they say as long as it’s less than 40mm drop they are totally happy and will work as normal 

same 15mm drop for non-Sportline with DCC :thumbup:

Getting the special actives fitted to my superb sportline today, retaining the stock springs though. One question I have, if they are replacing the dampers, will the wheel alignment need to be reset at the front? Looking forward to less sea sickness!

Hello!

Was taking my car in for MOT this morning and one of the front springs broke clean in half 🤧

I've got a 150 diesel front wheel drive.  As the Koni shocks seem to work with the Sportline springs, and the shocks are the same for all varients of the Superb, does that mean I can fit Sportline springs to my 150?

Thanks!

It's easy to check, I bought mine from DC Performance, can check the reg against the part number. I'd be surprised if they're not the same across the range of hatch or estate non DCC.

just collected my car, the difference is immediate, and not insignificant. Only tried it over a 7 mile trip, but over bumpy / twisty B roads and lanes. Feels more like my octavia vRS now, can push it much more on really bumpy stuff without it losing composure. I'm sure turn in is improved as well, though this could be because it just feels stiffer. It's still no sports car, but at least you'll be able to keep up with a Mondeo on the twistys. Downside is that whilst you lose the crashiness at high speed, you lose all of the serene wafting ride comfort at low speeds and on flat roads, it's constantly jiggling about. I'm OK with it, but others might not be. Unless you want to lower the ride height, then I wouldn't bother with changing the springs, you might even reduce the total levels of grip by doing so. 

I had to choose between this or a remap; this is cheaper especially when you factor in insurance and potential warranty costs, and is a better improvement I think overall in the driveability of the car.

Edited by stever750
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, stever750 said:

Downside is that whilst you lose the crashiness at high speed, you lose all of the serene wafting ride comfort at low speeds and on flat roads, it's constantly jiggling about.

I'm quite concerned by that.  Other reviews have said good balance between taught and comfort.  It's why I went for a Superb over an Octavia VRS.  Might have to send the shocks back and stick with stock 😞