Has anyone tried or installed the Koni Special Active?

55 minutes ago, taurean7 said:

Out of curiosity what model is your Superb? To know what standard suspension you started with, assuming your now running the Koni’s yourself.

I’m starting from a Sportsline Plus myself which is weirdly quite firm, but over speed bumps and broken road surface is abnormally soft 🤷‍♂️ I am looking at something to achieve better comfort and more control.  Been on a number of forums and Koni’s seem to be a popular upgrade.

Mine is a petrol sportline 18 plate, 220ps engine. It was utterly crap at speed on a bumpy road, and would easily bottom out on a speed bump. Obviously not tried it, but I can't imagine it would now, even at high speed. 

Yes, I fitted special actives about 2 months / 5k miles ago. 

Edited by stever750

44 minutes ago, stever750 said:

Mine is a petrol sportline 18 plate, 220ps engine. It was utterly crap at speed on a bumpy road, and would easily bottom out on a speed bump. Obviously not tried it, but I can't imagine it would now, even at high speed. 

Yes, I fitted special actives about 2 months / 5k miles ago. 

5k in 2 months 😮. What did you do just stop to fill up?

based on that mileage do you rate them then, over the standard?

Actually more like 3 months, how time flies, but I drive a lot with my job. Yes, worth every penny. It was this or a remap. Latter not much use of the car loses control at moderate speeds. Look back through the thread, most that have done it reckon it's a big improvement. 

15 minutes ago, stever750 said:

Look back through the thread, most that have done it reckon it's a big improvement. 

I would agree with this. As for the comments on jigglyness, suspension control is not the same as car comfort. The B6 would control the wheel better in my opinion based on my own experience. I went for the konis based on the reports of the comfort. I've been disappointed with them but they are still an improvement over stock. They are certainly not sport shocks like the B6s. But the average stiffness is increased over stock so they are a bit more sporty.

If I could cover the labour cost of fitting new shocks by selling the konis (and fitting B6s) I might. Probably should do that sooner than later to preserve the wear of the shocks though.

1 hour ago, MarkyG82 said:

I would agree with this. As for the comments on jigglyness, suspension control is not the same as car comfort. The B6 would control the wheel better in my opinion based on my own experience. I went for the konis based on the reports of the comfort. I've been disappointed with them but they are still an improvement over stock. They are certainly not sport shocks like the B6s. But the average stiffness is increased over stock so they are a bit more sporty.

If I could cover the labour cost of fitting new shocks by selling the konis (and fitting B6s) I might. Probably should do that sooner than later to preserve the wear of the shocks though.

To try and help me understand, in the absence of being able to test drive, have you driven over a cobbled road - if you have how was it?

on a motorway are they comfortable, but when you get on twisties at speed do they stiffen up?

To answer your specific question, no I haven't driven over cobbles. They font tend to be unsettled on heavily pot holed areas and I'd day probably a bit more controlled.

Motorways/cruising is where they really shine. So much more control and comfort. When you see those bumps on the road that look like they've been scuffed a few times the car just sucks it up. It's hard to describe how they are in "twisties". I have a stiffer rear roll bar and cross climate tyres. A bit of an oddball combo but works for me at the moment. I'm on the lookout for a set of wheels to try for summer tyres. Either 18 or 19. If that happens then I'll let you know more on the handling front.

On 08/05/2022 at 22:12, MarkyG82 said:

To answer your specific question, no I haven't driven over cobbles. They font tend to be unsettled on heavily pot holed areas and I'd day probably a bit more controlled.

Motorways/cruising is where they really shine. So much more control and comfort. When you see those bumps on the road that look like they've been scuffed a few times the car just sucks it up. It's hard to describe how they are in "twisties". I have a stiffer rear roll bar and cross climate tyres. A bit of an oddball combo but works for me at the moment. I'm on the lookout for a set of wheels to try for summer tyres. Either 18 or 19. If that happens then I'll let you know more on the handling front.

Did you have a chance to compare the setup with the new dampers fitted, and then without and with the RARB? I'm still contemplating adding one to reduce understeer a bit. 

I fitted the bar after the SA's so not sure how it would feel on stock. As for on the new shocks? The bar makes a bigger difference in the feel of the car. It's much more pointy in corners and tracks a straight line easier when cruising. I felt I was fighting the weight of the rear of the car with the stock bar.  It has made the car more jiggly but that is a trade off I am willing to take for the added control.

The gain some of the benefits but reduce the jigglyness, a golf R or clubsport bar (depending on AWD or fwd) might be better. Aftermarket ones like my whiteline are normally a bit stiffer than any of the stock fitted bars.

Edit: if you were happy with the bump control I'd fit a bar only. But sounds like you need the bump control too.

Edited by MarkyG82

• 2 months later...

Hi guys.

My car just passed the 6 years old, with 280.xxx km on original shocks and springs. Want to change to koni shocks. 

How often the springs needed to be changed? Any recommendations if needed... Do not want to lower the car;)

I read that I need 8245-1387 for the rears and 8745-1388 for the front, but autodoc sais the front is not compatible with mine, and instead I should buy 8745-1325.

Anybody can assist in this matter?

Cheers 

19 hours ago, QubiDK said:

Hi guys.

My car just passed the 6 years old, with 280.xxx km on original shocks and springs. Want to change to koni shocks. 

How often the springs needed to be changed? Any recommendations if needed... Do not want to lower the car;)

I read that I need 8245-1387 for the rears and 8745-1388 for the front, but autodoc sais the front is not compatible with mine, and instead I should buy 8745-1325.

Anybody can assist in this matter?

Cheers 

Check out this topic.....

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/503132-koni-special-actives-front-only-or-all-4/?do=findComment&comment=5663895

19 hours ago, Markbro said:

Hi Markbro

I just did, but I couldn't find answer for the matching part nr. of  8745-1325. Looks the same by the way, and there is price difference, though not that significant.

4 hours ago, QubiDK said:

Hi Markbro

I just did, but I couldn't find answer for the matching part nr. of  8745-1325. Looks the same by the way, and there is price difference, though not that significant.

....I read that I need 8245-1387 for the rears and 8745-1388 for the front, but autodoc sais the front is not compatible with mine

That's what I ordered in the link I posted, the serial numbers are in the pics, ordered from Autodoc and I believe I have the same car as you?

15 minutes ago, Markbro said:

That's what I ordered in the link I posted, the serial numbers are in the pics, ordered from Autodoc and I believe I have the same car as you?

I can see on your profile you have the same as mine;) All right, the shock absorbers part is clear then.

do you know about the spring part? Is it necessary to change them, and if yes, I would like to avoid to lower the car. I read also this topic:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/485647-bilstein-b6-dcc-shock-absorbers-available-at-last/page/2/

but I did not get smarter....

On autodoc there are 4 sets the last one is the H&R, if I want to buy separate there are more to choose from, but I am clueless...

Screenshot_20220720-201731.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, stever750 said:

If this is the correct translation:

It's been a while since the last intervention, I'm sorry. I finally found the springs to be able to lower the bodywork from bad roads to "normal" thanks to a great member of Briskoda.

Searching for information about the Koni Special Active, I found this thread, but both here and in the Russian forum there is talk of the wonders of the KSA on roads with holes, potholes or speed bumps

In Spain, which is where I live and move around, the roads are good, highways with good asphalt with big curves and some subsidence in support. WHAT makes the Superb move and "decompose" bouncing up to three times, which becomes dangerous as it almost loses the line.

The fact is that I want to ask you, how are the KSA on highways at "high" speeds and with the car full of luggage and passengers.

The stabilizer bar is an improvement that seems to be necessary, right? I have seen the 25mm Eibach rear since I can't find the Golf R VII one and the improvement is only 3mm on the inner wall.

Thank you very much in advance.

The KSA will make a big difference to the stability of the car on all roads, even constant radius flat roads require small corrections and inputs at the wheel, so the dampers are constantly working. I haven't bothered with upgrading the RARB as it's not really necessary, though undoubtedly helps turn in and reduce understeer. If you find the stock suspension simply too bouncy and uncontrolled, then just do it, the improvement isn't subtle; it's a different car.

I am sorry. I have failed with the translator. Thank you very much. We can notify the moderators and remove it if it bothers.

• Like 2

Once the translator problems have been solved, I ask for your opinion again. And sorry again.

It's been a while since the last intervention, I'm sorry. I finally found the springs to be able to lower the bodywork from bad roads to "normal" thanks to a great member of Briskoda.

Searching for information about the Koni Special Active, I found this thread, but both here and in the Russian forum there is talk of the wonders of the KSA on roads with holes, potholes or speed bumps

In Spain, which is where I live and move around, the roads are good, highways with good asphalt with big curves and some subsidence in support. WHAT makes the Superb move and "decompose" bouncing up to three times, which becomes dangerous as it almost loses the line.

The fact is that I want to ask you, how are the KSA on highways at "high" speeds and with the car full of luggage and passengers.

The stabilizer bar is an improvement that seems to be necessary, right? I have seen the 25mm Eibach rear since I can't find the Golf R VII one and the improvement is only 3mm on the inner wall.

Thank you very much in advance.

The KSA will make a big difference to the stability of the car on all roads, even constant radius flat roads require small corrections and inputs at the wheel, so the dampers are constantly working. I haven't bothered with upgrading the RARB as it's not really necessary, though undoubtedly helps turn in and reduce understeer. If you find the stock suspension simply too bouncy and uncontrolled, then just do it, the improvement isn't subtle; it's a different car

• 1 month later...

Last Friday I finally installed the Lesjofors springs with new bumpers and the much talked about KONI SPECIAL ACTIVE. I also installed the Golf R front sway bar.

The sensations at the beginning were strange because it does not go hard but the cornering is much superior to the standard suspension.

The problem has come because when turning to the left a clonk, and when returning to the center the same.

After several changes of, putting new cups, many hours in the workshop and desperation, one of the mechanics put the old shock absorber and the noise disappeared.

We are waiting for the processing of the guarantee by Koni, but they have already told me that they are not very fond of making first-time replacements.

Honestly, although they are going well, simply because of the bad times I am going through, I DO NOT RECOMMEND KONI. If I had known this, I would not have ridden them. I would have ridden Sachs or Bilstein.

We'll see how this all ends.

That's a shame they didn't work for you. I've now covered nearly 10k since I fitted mine but retained that original springs. No clonking or odd noises, and I still grin at the agility it has over twisty B roads given its size. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stever750 said:

Es una pena que no te hayan funcionado. Ahora he cubierto casi 10k desde que instalé el mío, pero conservé los resortes originales. Sin traqueteo ni ruidos extraños, y todavía sonrío ante la agilidad que tiene sobre carreteras secundarias sinuosas dado su tamaño. 

It could have been bad luck, in the 400 kms that I have traveled with them over the weekend, the sensations were good.

But it can't be that one of the shock absorbers has gone wrong, which could happen but I can't believe it.

In the workshop specialized in suspensions and wheels and with a competition section, if they have had defective Kayaba shock absorbers and they know that Koni does not accept guarantees at first.

I hope I get a new one and it fixes it.

I know of no cases of breakdowns at Sachs or Bilstein.

2 hours ago, Gabrielem said:

The problem has come because when turning to the left a clonk, and when returning to the center the same.

have you made some pictures of Koni, how does look thread?

on russian forum have read about huge space at the end, what gives free move

OEM vs KONI

zVHbmo2ET2T7fTfW08AShZM7ruw-1920.jpg

solution is extra insert

1_wgkROQDiFm2rv71PDXJCImpk0-1920.jpg

on last Friday i have finally installed Bilstein B6 also on rear axle, waited delivery long 13 months

in case Bilsteins have lot smaller free move, ~ 0.2mm

20220909_Bilstein_B6_20-267537_02_25p.jpg.bd5caad9c2122716bb78338e68bc9d94.jpg

Official dealer's mechanic suggested use glue, which they use for DSG screws, to fill small gaps.

rear axle now became lot quieter than OEM were after 118k KM,

but front axle with Bilsteins already started same noises which i had with OEM DCC shocks, just after 13k KM

mechanic told me, that is steering rack, which technically is "ok",

but during warranty period it would be replaced, as previous 3 times, on 21k 45k 25k KM

with Bilstein B6 DampTronic and Eibach Pro springs car is absolutely perfect on asphalt

1 hour ago, MartiniB said:

¿Has hecho algunas fotos de Koni, cómo se ve el hilo?

en el foro ruso he leído sobre el gran espacio al final, lo que da libertad de movimiento

OEM frente a KONI

zVHbmo2ET2T7fTfW08AShZM7ruw-1920.jpg

la solución es un inserto extra

1_wgkROQDiFm2rv71PDXJCImpk0-1920.jpg

el viernes pasado finalmente instalé Bilstein B6 también en el eje trasero, esperé la entrega durante 13 meses

en caso de que los Bilstein tengan un movimiento libre mucho más pequeño, ~ 0,2 mm

20220909_Bilstein_B6_20-267537_02_25p.jpg.bd5caad9c2122716bb78338e68bc9d94.jpg

El mecánico del concesionario oficial sugirió usar pegamento, que usan para tornillos DSG, para llenar pequeños huecos.

el eje trasero ahora se volvió mucho más silencioso que el OEM después de 118k KM,

pero el eje delantero con Bilsteins ya comenzó con los mismos ruidos que tuve con los amortiguadores OEM DCC , justo después de 13k KM

me dijo el mecanico, esa es la cremallera de direccion, que tecnicamente esta "bien",

pero durante el período de garantía sería reemplazado, como las 3 veces anteriores, en 21k 45k 25k KM

con Bilstein B6 DampTronic y muelles Eibach Pro el coche es absolutamente perfecto sobre asfalto

I remembered that DRIVE.RU thread, but the problem was in the butt. In my case it is the right front. They have already processed the guarantee, I hope there are no problems.

2 hours ago, Roberto280 said:

¡Tenga el mío equipado con resortes originales durante los últimos 20 meses, sin problemas y todavía me encanta la actualización! 🥰

Yes, I like it more every day and I only have 3 mounted... I've had bad luck. A colleague from Club Superb Spain has mounted them with sportline springs and without problems.

• Like 1

I have finally picked up the car with the missing shock absorber and I have already completed the suspension change.  Thanks to the excellent work by the specialized workshop in Alcalá de Henares, in Madrid.  Thanks to @Carlston and everyone else for helping me with this change.

Incredible failure in the Koni Special Active.  The workshop has had to buy another one and now discuss with the distributor in Spain because I don't know how they are making it easy.  Koni's very bad image.  If I go to another small workshop or assemble them myself, I would have a serious problem.

IMG_20221005_142502.thumb.jpg.569c62a45b7d069d9bc25414a9e1f800.jpg

Edited by Gabrielem
  • Like 1