Is a Superb 272 calling me?

1 hour ago, sheriffwoody said:

i have seen a couple of videos of the car - so fairly happy that it is the car in question.

tbh - i won't be hooning around in it, but tis nice to have the power there if its needed (over taking on b roads, getting up to speed quickly etc).

Does it feel as big as it looks/is when you drive?  How is parking?  With no rear camera (but it does have sensors) i am thinking it could take a while to get used to.

Also - i have never really paid attention to MPG as such.  I normally judge my cars on how many miles I get out of £20.  my old civic type r was about 80-100, current car (lancer estate) is about 100-110, wifes car gives about 130-140 etc.  This to me is more "real world"

I'm not sure even an online video of a car would convince me. When I bought my car it was advertised by two different car dealerships on Autotrader - 1 in Bournemouth & 1 in Glasgow. Same car, same reg, same pictures. I wasn't sure if I was going to drive north or south to view it until I spoke to the Bournemouth Dealer. It turned out that the Glasgow car listing on Autotrader was a fake & was taken down!! I got the Bournemouth dealer sales guy to face time me & show me that the car was physically at his location on his mobile. Only then did I agree to drive down to have a look at it & I refused his offer of an online deposit to "reserve the car because it was rarer than hen's teeth" - that old chestnut. It was probably rare but I detest that sort of sales tactic. Also the tactic they employ when it comes to price / discount where they have to go have a word with their manager. I told my guy he'll get one chance to offer me a discount for cash & one chance to give me a decent trade in on my old 175,000 mile 10Reg S2 Superb Estate 170 Diesel or, I would walk away. It worked. I got a discount for cash, decent trade in, a free refurb for the Alloys, free replacement door umbrellas which had gone missing as had the front & rear seat mats - which they also like to use a a deal sweetener. Grrrrr:angry: That said he did get me on gap insurance.  

I agree with the power. Not for blasting everywhere at illegal speeds but good for getting onto roundabouts & joining motorways smartly without any fuss & for safe overtaking. The 4 x 4 system makes this possible. Without it the car would just spin the front wheels - like the lesser powered 2WD 190 / 220 petrol & diesels do. 

Parking - you get used to the size fairly quickly. I just use the rear sensors & mirrors for reverse parking & I don't look over my shoulder at all. My L&K has park Assist but I don't use it. It also has lane assist - turned it off because it meddles to much.

280/272's drink from the 99RON pump (or should do for best performance) so fuel consumption & fuel cost won't make it the cheapest thing to run. If that's what you need then a 1.5TSi petrol or diesel is what you need to look at. Tesco Momentum 99RON is my normal choice of fuel from the socially distanced "pay at pump" equipped Tesco near me. Interestingly the local / nearer Esso has nothing more than 95RON fuel & Shell V Power is more expensive. Approx £75 to fill up with under a 1/4 tank showing on the fuel gauge & 560 miles on the trip. These days I don't look too closely at my fuel receipts as it would only depress me.

280/272's are not as rare as everyone makes out. I just did a search on Autotrader & there 19 estate/hatch 280 / 272 4 x 4's on there from £16k to £36k. 1 in Bedford is going for £18.5k is a 2017 Sportline estate with "Skoda fitted" 330bhp remap. 65k on the clock though so may not be what you are looking for.  

Good luck with your purchase.

• Like 1

Bought my 272 L&K from Marshall. It was 4 months old and the first I saw it was when the loader pulled up at my house with it on it, lol. I liked the look of the sport line, but the spec on the L&K was hard to ignore as it was considerably longer as standard, before options. Although, it was nearly 47k new, so sits in the higher tax bracket for the fist lot of years.  I average about 30mpg round town, and have had 44mpg on a longer trip. I’ve had a headlight, shock and front roll bar replaced so far under warranty. 
it’s a great all round car. I find it hard to believe anyone would recommend an Alfa? I suppose this past year has been hard on everyone. 

18 hours ago, UndertheRadar said:

I find it hard to believe anyone would recommend an Alfa? 

They did have a bad QC rep. However, they hired a German from BMW to head up QC when they designed the Giulia. It's a nice car and the Alfa website has been very positive. Moved from an Alpha, but wanted a bigger car. The things that put me off the Giulia were the stop/start implementation (dealer said just turn it off) the small boot (as compared to my hatchback) and the price (when compared to the same spec Škoda.

I don't regret choosing the Škoda over the Alfa, but I've not developed the same attachment to it as I had for my old Brera. That was a cool car.

20 hours ago, freelunch said:

They did have a bad QC rep. However, they hired a German from BMW to head up QC when they designed the Giulia. It's a nice car and the Alfa website has been very positive. Moved from an Alpha, but wanted a bigger car. The things that put me off the Giulia were the stop/start implementation (dealer said just turn it off) the small boot (as compared to my hatchback) and the price (when compared to the same spec Škoda.

I don't regret choosing the Škoda over the Alfa, but I've not developed the same attachment to it as I had for my old Brera. That was a cool car.

As the saying goes, "at one time in your life everyone should own an Alfa". Back in 2000 I had a Black 156 2.0 Twin Spark with red leather interior. The girls in the office used to call it the "pimp mobile" ha, but I loved it. Not the most practical thing being a saloon but immensely enjoyable to drive. The current Giulia looks / drives great but as you say, not very practical.   

• Like 2

can someone tell me what the service schedule for the 272 is please?

i asked the guy from the dealership i have found the car if it will be serviced before it is sold as it is almost exactly a year old now, with almost 10k miles on the clock.  He said the car doesn't need to have its first service until 20k/2 years - which seems a long time?

I thought there was an interim service every 10k/1 year and a major service every 20k/2 years?

2 hours ago, sheriffwoody said:

i asked the guy from the dealership i have found the car if it will be serviced before it is sold as it is almost exactly a year old now, with almost 10k miles on the clock.  He said the car doesn't need to have its first service until 20k/2 years - which seems a long time?

I thought there was an interim service every 10k/1 year and a major service every 20k/2 years?

It would have left the factory with the default variable service interval I assume which can be up to 2 years and 20k miles. 

Other option is a yearly service which can be set in the car too. If worried, negotiate a service with selling dealer/price reduction of a service so you can take to a local dealer if not buying local/or simply budget for one. 

6 hours ago, sheriffwoody said:

As above. Get them to service it and change to a yearly service as part of the deal to buy the car. Make sure they’ve done it before transferring funds. I completely ignore the stupidity of Vag service intervals, and a lot of others. I always return my own cars to a minor/major interval. Oil & filter (A service), then the next year, oil & filter, air,fuel,pollen filters (if vehicle has them fitted) and brake fluid (B service)  Haldex every 2yrs and Dsg  and spark plugs every 3 would be my schedule (where applicable) It’ll go between A&B every 10k or 12 months. 
I bought mine at coming up on 5 months old and insisted on the oil being changed as part of sale. I wasn’t happy after 3 months and dropped it out and replaced it again myself and reset the service schedule to 12 month intervals. 
Some consider this approach as overkill, but I tend to buy my cars outright and run for 10yrs plus, and find this a better long term attitude towards maintenance to help over the years with reliability. 
Obviously, if you rent it and throw it back after 2-3yrs it’s not going to matter much what you do. 

• Like 2

I work for a Skoda dealership and own a 272+ and let me just say it’s awesome, imo it’s far better than the 280, power delivery is better much more linear but if you use the loud pedal  it it goes like mad, quicker than a vrs but with the refinement of a luxurious car

• Like 1

I’m actually a bit shocked at how quick the 272 is (from YouTube videos of acceleration tests). 

it hits 60 in about 5.1 seconds and cracks 200kph in about 17-18 seconds. If this is true then they are really quick. The amount of other “fast” medium/large family cars that can’t get near it on the 0-200kph test are surprising. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sheriffwoody said:

I’m actually a bit shocked at how quick the 272 is (from YouTube videos of acceleration tests). 

it hits 60 in about 5.1 seconds and cracks 200kph in about 17-18 seconds. If this is true then they are really quick. The amount of other “fast” medium/large family cars that can’t get near it on the 0-200kph test are surprising. 

Yep they are definitely quick cars even in standard form.

I’ve logged my 280 at 5.2 secs 0-60 with a gps dongle plugged in via my phone, maybe not as accurate as proper timing gear but a couple of runs it was consistently there.

it really is brutal acceleration and very easy to find yourself going a lot faster than you should be if you let it.

god knows what these stage 1 and 2 people are getting to experience! Hopefully one day I’ll go stage 1 on mine but it’s certainly no slouch at the moment.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SkudMissile21 said:

Yep they are definitely quick cars even in standard form.

I’ve logged my 280 at 5.2 secs 0-60 with a gps dongle plugged in via my phone, maybe not as accurate as proper timing gear but a couple of runs it was consistently there.

it really is brutal acceleration and very easy to find yourself going a lot faster than you should be if you let it.

god knows what these stage 1 and 2 people are getting to experience! Hopefully one day I’ll go stage 1 on mine but it’s certainly no slouch at the moment.

Stage 1 here.

I have to say a stage 1 re-map on a 280 /272 is pretty awesome. A lot of extra "bang for your buck" for an extra +80bhp (now 360) & +40nm torque (now 488nm) & some other stg 1 re-maps can get more than this! All with stock exhaust & other plumbing. I had mine done middle of last year (Revo). I'm not sure what the stats are now but it's easily sub 5s 0-60 I'd say. Better than that though is the in-gear 30-50/60/70mph acceleration for more useable everyday use. Runs on 99RON fuel to get the best out of it. Acceleration in sport mode is fairly savage so I'm trying to stay in D or manual shift to use the extra torque in higher gears. The only downside currently is the fuel consumption. Ordinarily there world be no change stock vs stg 1 but with all the short local journeys during lockdowns 22-24mpg is as good as it gets for now. I did get 36mpg on a run once last rear though. The trouble is, once you get on the modification "hamster wheel" it's not easy to get off. I'm now looking at a rear sway bar upgrade & perhaps some induction mods. I want to keep the car looking as stock as possible to preserve it's sleeper identity so no lowered springs or body kits - famous last words! My 280 is going to be a keeper. At least that's what I told myself until I saw that new Cupra Formentor which can have the same / similar EA888 engine & 4x4 system - definitely not a sleeper looking vehicle  though. It's a good looking car but quite expensive so I'll have to wait & see what the used prices are like in a year or so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

At least that's what I told myself until I saw that new Cupra Formentor which can have the same / similar EA888 engine & 4x4 system - definitely not a sleeper looking vehicle  though. It's a good looking car but quite expensive so I'll have to wait & see what the used prices are like in a year or so.

I liked the looks of that one too but it's too small, both in terms of rear cabin and boot, essentially it's a raised Golf/Leon hatch. I could go down a size to the Tiguan/Ateca a or Golf/Leon estate but that's too small for our needs.

Plus, for some weird reason it's more expensive than the bigger Cupra Ateca on the same underpinnings, not making any sense... :fubar:

would appear the one i missed out one was either priced very low (they offered it to me for £24k) or the ones available now are way over priced.

The one i like the look of now is identical spec to the white one i missed out on, a few thousand less miles, but is up for £1700 more, and they can't get anywhere near the monthly cost of what the white one was offered to me for.

Even in December 2019 when I was looking to buy a 272 the one I really wanted with a very high spec was priced over £30,000 and more than £6,000 more than I wanted to pay. Ended up buying a cheap low spec car which with hindsight was a mistake but much happier with my current high spec diesel. Toys were ultimately more important to me than performance and with lockdown and too many roadworks on my commute during 2020 took the fun out of driving a high performance car. A stage 1 car with typically 360bhp is capable of 0-60mph in 4.2 seconds and 0-100mph in 10.5 seconds and you have to hang onto the steering wheel as the force of this acceleration forces you back into the sport seats. It is quite shocking even coming from an Octavia Vrs245 like I did.

7 minutes ago, ItalianJob said:

There's a 19 plate for £23,295 but it doesn't have the bells and whistles like virtual cockpit and Canton. Tempting just for the performance side of things!

Just seen it Meteor Grey, 6,500 miles available at Marshalls, Croydon.

• Like 1

On 17/01/2021 at 17:45, sheriffwoody said:

Not possible to go below 20" in the 0-200 unless remapped, stock 272 time of the 0-200 is around 21"-22"

If you refer to the video below, it is not a true/accurate measurement as it is just a stopwatch of the speedo which is is around 4% off. In the 100-200 run this equals to as much as two extra seconds, true 200km/h is around 207-208km/h on the speedo, and it takes around 2 seconds to do the 200-208km/h  on the stock car as you can see.

Depends on what you're coming from of-course but i find they are merely "ok" as stock, the acceleration fun is really limited to low speed flooring (assisted by the AWD), above 100-120km/h the acceleration is nowhere near as impressive.

Now stage 1 is around 16" and stage 2 closer to 14", and they start to feel quick at that point.

Edited by newbie69

2 minutes ago, sheriffwoody said:

ive seen plenty of videos on youtube where they hit 200kph in under 20 seconds - they cant all be tuned?

My tuner forgot to remove the factory limiter and it wouldn't go past 160mph in 6th or 7th gear after less than mile of acceleration.