Grinding into third (manual)

Anyone else experienced this? 1.5 manual, less than 300 miles, but tricky to get into third. You need to jam it in, or it fails to engage. Old school problem.

Gears bedding in, or one for the dealer?

9 minutes ago, Branigan said:

Anyone else experienced this? 1.5 manual, less than 300 miles, but tricky to get into third. You need to jam it in, or it fails to engage. Old school problem.

seen this mentioned in a few posts on here that some are having this issue, i myself have not experienced this

I'm getting this on my 2.0 TDi, 3rd and occasionally 1st do it if you're not concentrating.  Hopefully it will loosen up, I got used to my Superb's very relaxed gearbox after 138k!

1 hour ago, inspectorman said:

3 to 4 a couple of times, and twice going into reverse. Not an issue after 500 miles and now just a little firmer than the other changes at 1600 miles.

Glad to hear it might loosen up. What version do you have? anyone know gearbox codes? (wondering if a 2.0TDI has the same as a 1.5 petrol)

I had initially experienced this as had a few others, it was discussed on some earlier threads. Have to say that mine, (1.5tsi) was only problematic every now and then until about 400 miles and it's been trouble free ever since.

I have a polo which was a bit annoying into 1st and 3rd for the first 500 miles or so and now it’s a dream. I would put as many miles on the car relatively quickly (hard to do during lockdowns) and then if it’s really not better go back to the dealer as soon as possible. With anything car wise if it’s new it’s best to deal with it ASAP as you have more rights.

On our 2.0 TDI 115 the whole gearbox was replaced after 3000 miles. It didn't loosen up, gear changes from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th just got worse and worse. Mention the problem to your dealer and if it doesn't get better after 3000 miles insist on changing the gearbox. With new gearbox there is zero resistance when engaging 3rd gear and everyting is working smooth and problem free after 2000 miles.

• 2 months later...

I also have the 1,5 litre petrol with a manual gearbox. I experienced the exact same problem the moment I drove out of the dealership. Getting in to third was tricky and would often require disengaging the clutch. I was hoping it would iron itself out, but after 7000 km it had not, so I got the gearbox changed under warranty. I recommend you do the same if you still suffer from this problem. I'm happy I at least have a functional gearbox now with the plethora of other problems this god forsaken car seems to have.

Kerttuli, did you have a whine on your previous gearbox? I've had a 1.5 tsi manual for about 2 000 km and occasionally had some problems getting into 1st gear or reverse. There's a clear whine when driving on smaller gears. The whine is also very audible on overrun on 2nd and 3rd gear.

2 hours ago, Skodamias said:

Kerttuli, did you have a whine on your previous gearbox? I've had a 1.5 tsi manual for about 2 000 km and occasionally had some problems getting into 1st gear or reverse. There's a clear whine when driving on smaller gears. The whine is also very audible on overrun on 2nd and 3rd gear.

Hi Skodamias, I don't remember noticing a whine with the old nor the new gearbox. I'll try to listen closely next time if I can hear it. I also still occasionally struggle getting in to 1st and reverse even with the new gearbox. Shaking my head ..

• 2 months later...
On 22/01/2021 at 12:21, Fishcann said:

I had initially experienced this as had a few others, it was discussed on some earlier threads. Have to say that mine, (1.5tsi) was only problematic every now and then until about 400 miles and it's been trouble free ever since.

Hi, can you please link those threads?

I have 1500 km on my 1.5TSI and never in my life so much trouble with shifting. I put it into a gear, release the clutch and it makes a loud gear grinding sound and the car does not move. As if not pushed far enough. Happened just today again (first gear or reverse, during parking). Usually this happens with 1st, 3rd and reverse. Once happened with 6th gear.

You say it "fixes itself" after 1 or 2 thousand  km?

Edited by xerces8

I put 4000 miles on my MK4 before rejecting it and my 3rd used to be what I would call 'reluctant' rather than grinding or crunching.

Only until I had driven for 5 mins though and (especially with the real problems I had) never a big enough issue where I'd have sought any work on it.

It used to crunch into reverse a lot though, even if I'd been on the road 2hrs it could crunch loudly into reverse to the point pedestrians would turn and look at my car.

On 25/06/2021 at 23:39, xerces8 said:

Hi, can you please link those threads?

I have 1500 km on my 1.5TSI and never in my life so much trouble with shifting. I put it into a gear, release the clutch and it makes a loud gear grinding sound and the car does not move. As if not pushed far enough. Happened just today again (first gear or reverse, during parking). Usually this happens with 1st, 3rd and reverse. Once happened with 6th gear.

You say it "fixes itself" after 1 or 2 thousand  km?

Sorry, can't remember what the thread was called now but you should be able to just search for 3rd gear issues and it'll come up.   Sounds like you need a new gearbox! My issue was only in 3rd and only for the first 3-400 miles, it's all fine now.

On 21/01/2021 at 09:42, Branigan said:

Just read this post I personally would not have any issues with the Skoda Octavia gearbox when I patches my car a year ago but as other posters have said with the problem does not clear up in the first Thousand Miles take it back to the garage insist that a mechanic sits with you while you take it for a drive then let him drive it you sit in the passenger seat hopefully the problem will go away on the 1st thousand miles this is why I bought a manual car do not like automatics but if people are having issues with brand new gearboxes absolute disgrace hopefully just got a tight gair  box that needs working in I would like to know what the outcome was hopefully it's a happy ending😎

• 9 months later...

Hi all, I've just been for a test drive in 1.5tsi sel fe, 12 months old, less than 3000 miles and had difficulty with gears. Test drove another 1.0 to compare and it was much better. It was suggested there's a gear linkage recall but not sure that was a quick, off the cuff comment.

HAs anyone heard of a simple fix or is it always a new gearbox. 

The car was lovely otherwise, remain undecided because of this gear box thing

The gear box on my new Octavia is adequate but not what you’d call smooth by any means. Best gearbox I’ve ever experienced was in a Volvo V60; incredibly smooth in every gear change. Something for ŠKODA to aspire to!

I had a Focus and the gear change on that way amazing. Better than any other car I’ve driven. Not sure how much they still share components with Volvo but I know mine had  similar bits to the V50/S50 I think?