Canton Sound System Upgrade

I'm looking at renewing my Skoda Octavia 2017 to the new model but I can't see the Canton Sound System upgrade on the Irish website as an option. 

Has anyone added it in other countries? It's sort of a must have for me so thought i'd check here. 

Thanks

41 minutes ago, pinguino said:

I'm looking at renewing my Skoda Octavia 2017 to the new model but I can't see the Canton Sound System upgrade on the Irish website as an option. 

Has anyone added it in other countries? It's sort of a must have for me so thought i'd check here. 

Thanks

Hi. I’ve added it here in England on my vRS, so it’s definitely doable, but you have to have the spare wheel too as that’s where the subwoofer goes in this latest version. It was around £700 to add, something like £550 for the Canton and £150 for the spare wheel. 
not sure why it’s be missing on the Irish configurator. 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, Skodev said:

Hi. I’ve added it here in England on my vRS, so it’s definitely doable, but you have to have the spare wheel too as that’s where the subwoofer goes in this latest version. It was around £700 to add, something like £550 for the Canton and £150 for the spare wheel. 
not sure why it’s be missing on the Irish configurator. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah it's weird, can't even see when on the vRS section either. May ring them tomorrow and find out. 

Cheers

8 hours ago, pinguino said:

Yeah it's weird, can't even see when on the vRS section either. May ring them tomorrow and find out. 

Cheers

Cool. Hope you get it sorted. 👍🏼

10 hours ago, The Big Mac said:

Hope all is well...just picked up my new octavia vrs in Dublin and was not able to spec canton,  sunroof  or auto opening boot because of new emission laws in ireland the extra draw on the battery increases the co2..very disappointed i like the Canton sound system and always spec it...

20210302_140428~2.jpg

Are you serious? That’s is incredible! 
I feel for you guys. That emissions legislation can now start to impact what options are offered such as an upgraded stereo, WOW!

Car looks lovely. Early days but how is it?  

Its very strange because my new cars emissions are higher then the old one yet the road tax is less.. €390 on old car new car is €280...the new vrs is a complete different animal...with the mk3.5 i felt like i needed to trash it all the time ...mk4 feel like I want to cruise now the boys in work said it because I'm getting older...they maybe right !!!...I liked my red 2017 vrs but I'm start to really love the 2021 need more time with it to give true impression cheers !!!

• Like 1

On 03/03/2021 at 22:49, The Big Mac said:

Hope all is well...just picked up my new octavia vrs in Dublin and was not able to spec canton,  sunroof  or auto opening boot because of new emission laws in ireland the extra draw on the battery increases the co2..very disappointed i like the Canton sound system and always spec it...

20210302_140428~2.jpg

That looks awesome!

What are your thoughts on the standard sound system up to now then? Is it bearable???????

The basic sound system Very disappointing...to hear the rear speakers you have to put the fade and balance right back...there is very little adjustment in sound field tweeters are poor...I'm already think of changing all speakers and adding amp and sub but worried about voiding warranty  !!!

• Like 1

On 07/03/2021 at 20:30, The Big Mac said:

The basic sound system Very disappointing...to hear the rear speakers you have to put the fade and balance right back...there is very little adjustment in sound field tweeters are poor...I'm already think of changing all speakers and adding amp and sub but worried about voiding warranty  !!!

I'm sure that when you compare to Canton, the standard sound system is crap, but I find it much better than the standard stereo on the Fabia for example. :)  I've got the standard one on my 2019 Octy 3, and while it's not studio quality, it's not too bad either, especially when playing quality music from your phone... ;)

• Like 1

Just commenting on this. I have had 66 plate L&K Superb for 4 years now with Canton and it still sounds great. I have a new Octi 20 plate with no canton. I agree, the standard speakers are very poor IF you have previosuly used Canton or better speakers as standard.

If you are coming from a car which had rubbish audio, you will find the stndard octi speakers satisfactory. if you are coming from anything else, You will be dissappointed. The Octi is for my wife who is coming from an Astra SRi, She finds the Octi great in comparison to that. 

• Like 2

I've just gone from Canton in a 19 plate Octavia, to standard audio in a 21 VRS (petrol), so just adding a thought or two.

I swapped cars over this week, and am prefacing this in the knowledge that a car is never the place for perfect audio, whatever you have

Canton in the '19 plate Octavia was pretty good, really quite nice with acoustic recordings and with the sound set to the front of the cabin. 
It was noticeably less good with more complex stuff.  It *did* however go loud and have lots of bass if that's your thing (not mine).

Didn't spec it on the new VRS, and was expecting a huge difference in quality, but at sensible volume levels it's not as big a step down as I expected.

It's definitely not as detailed in comparison, and if you want huge bass you will be very disappointed; but it is more than acceptable, certainly loud enough, and a massive leap from standard audio in the previous couple of Octavias (14 & 17 plates) I owned.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

my 2 cents after 2 days a lot of driving and spotify listening.

I do like to have some base, i listen to hiphop, rap, not much alternative, previously had 800w sub in car/
Skoda octavia rs= sound quality is ok, there is almost no bass even when equalizer is maxed, for sure it is working, i checked, but seems that it is too small to be relevant. 
for me its hard to compare to base, since i have not tested that, but maybe extra money could be spent in small custom sub which would make all the difference.
that being said i will not add sub,. since i do carry bicycles sometimes in the back, i like the space more than bass,. getting old i guess.

• 3 months later...

after almost two month listening the canton system in the new 2021 VRS i can clearly say that over the standard system there is little to almost no difference. don't be sad that you couldn't spec it. it doesn't worth it.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cezar Anghel said:

after almost two month listening the canton system in the new 2021 VRS i can clearly say that over the standard system there is little to almost no difference. don't be sad that you couldn't spec it. it doesn't worth it.   

Fair play that makes me feel so much better cheers  !!!

On 02/03/2021 at 22:45, pinguino said:

Thanks

Which models have the canton sound system as standard?

Here in Australia it is part of the $6000 Premium Pack on the RS models. There are no other options except a sunroof.

Since that pack contains the attached list of features, many of which I wanted, I bought it.

I don't think I would have ordered the sound system by itself.

Now that I have it it sounds nice but I am never going to use any of its features and I mainly play DAB radio or stuff that is on You Tube Music and at modest volumes.

By the way, is Canton a well known brand? It means nothing to me.

Screenshot 2021-07-15 203228.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Big Mac said:

Canton is not available to spec in ireland because of new emission laws !!!

What does Canton have to do with the emission laws?? Does it increase the emissions that much.... 🤔🤔🤔

19 minutes ago, DaveFromSydney said:

Here in Australia it is part of the $6000 Premium Pack on the RS models. There are no other options except a sunroof.

Since that pack contains the attached list of features, many of which I wanted, I bought it.

I don't think I would have ordered the sound system by itself.

Now that I have it it sounds nice but I am never going to use any of its features and I mainly play DAB radio or stuff that is on You Tube Music and at modest volumes.

By the way, is Canton a well known brand? It means nothing to me.

Screenshot 2021-07-15 203228.png

That's a nice pack btw...

Don't shoot the messenger  !!! When I picked up my VRS earlier in the year I wanted to spec canton, electric boot opening and a few other things but because it increases the draw on the battery thus increases emissions....what i do not understand is my road tax is €280 with 149 emissions but my 172 VRS had 142 emissions and was €390 don't figure....my thinking would be if I spec more equipment and increase the emissions and I go into a higher tax bracket I am willing to pay the tax premium to get the car I wanted...rant over !!!

hello, what do you think guys, makes sense to try to replace this ****ty speaker on the same specs? in my opinion, a better response in frequency could make a difference. or is just worthless ?

canton.thumb.jpg.b915e47399c6f832375afc85cd89848c.jpg

2 hours ago, Cezar Anghel said:

hello, what do you think guys, makes sense to try to replace this ****ty speaker on the same specs? in my opinion, a better response in frequency could make a difference. or is just worthless ?

Probably not worth the effort without the proper amplification  !!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cezar Anghel said:

It wouldn't make sense to replace on the same specs, but you could easily take that high-level input from this subwoofer and plug it into a bigger subwoofer with it's own amplifier for an easy and cheap upgrade. I was thinking of doing that, but I'm worried that Škoda might try to pull some **** if something breaks under warranty and I modify the car like that. 

Edited by zetzet