Canton Sound System Upgrade

Just adding to my last post, previous Octavia sound system was made by Sonavox and branded Canton. Car manufacturers just offer sound equipment companies advertisement opportunities and stick their badge on the "upgraded" audio. If you want real upgraded audio you need to buy a Lexus with Mark Levinson or a Porsche with Burmeister. Those two seem to actually do something with the audio, but their price also reflects that.

I was quoted 900€ for installing:
 - ESX mini digital amp

- full ESX Horizon speaker replacement

- under-the-seat woofer

- full door audio insulation

- full instalation and cables

Supposely way better than Canton sound in the end. I test drove a car with Canton and it sucked... Would not want to pay 700€ for that...

Edited by drnovshek

8 minutes ago, drnovshek said:

- ESX mini digital amp

- under-the-seat woofer

Supposely way better than Canton sound in the end. I test drove a car with Canton and it sucked... Would not want to pay 700€ for that...

Sounds good, however I would go for 1 line higher when looking at ESX. No full door insulation needed; only use foam damping, more is not needed for such speakers. 

Only my recommendation is not to use an underseat subwoofer but please go than for a small 8inch in the boot that you can take out if you need the space sometimes. Underseats will not sound at all in the range of freq response compared to boot subwoofers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zetzet said:

600w total output is not low.

IMHO I think 600W "total output" tells you nothing. At least i rarely stare at the wattage. It's an indication of some amount of power available. 600 real Watts is alot, but that's like getting a 9.1 home amplifier with "100W each speaker" which still weights 10 Kilos :).

Interesting to see that Dynaudio's amp is made by panasonic. Are the speakers still made by dynaudio?

33 minutes ago, drnovshek said:

- ESX mini digital amp

- under-the-seat woofer

900€ is not bad actually. For me my choise was 1500e aftermarket install or canton. Got the Canton so i dont have to mind guarantees and such.

2 hours ago, DutchVRS said:

Sounds good, however I would go for 1 line higher when looking at ESX. No full door insulation needed; only use foam damping, more is not needed for such speakers. 

Only my recommendation is not to use an underseat subwoofer but please go than for a small 8inch in the boot that you can take out if you need the space sometimes. Underseats will not sound at all in the range of freq response compared to boot subwoofers.

That was really just the basics. Like I said, drove a 700€ Canton upgrade and it was a joke. My old JVC radio with oval speakers on the rear shelf sounded better. 😛 Thanks for the input, will take into consideration.

2 hours ago, timster said:

900€ is not bad actually. For me my choise was 1500e aftermarket install or canton. Got the Canton so i dont have to mind guarantees and such.

Maybe you were quoted for a higher range speakers and woofer.

2 hours ago, timster said:

IMHO I think 600W "total output" tells you nothing. At least i rarely stare at the wattage. It's an indication of some amount of power available. 600 real Watts is alot, but that's like getting a 9.1 home amplifier with "100W each speaker" which still weights 10 Kilos :).

Interesting to see that Dynaudio's amp is made by panasonic. Are the speakers still made by dynaudio?

Nothing at all was made by Dynaudio.

On 25/11/2021 at 11:39, MP1983 said:

A Match DSP 10 amp with Skoda adapting harness and custom fitted 5"-2"-1" inside an a 8-10" sub to the back would be superior in about every situation 

I have been looking at using a Match amplifier from Audiotec-Fisher in my Octavia IV, have you succesfully installed it? Talking to the manufacturer they recommended using the PP-AC 92B adapter, making the Match amplifier compatible with my 2021 Octavia IV. Have not been able to find instructions or experiences on how to connect it though.. 

I don't have the Canton upgrade and haven't been able to find a workshop guide on how to remove the radio/controlpanel itself 😕

20211126_151646.jpg

20211126_151740.jpg

1 hour ago, zetzet said:

You can look on used parts websites they have all the speakers layed out in detail, everything has a Panasonic logo or no logo. Dynaudio is only seen on the front plate.

Could panasonic make speaker elements for dynaudio home speakers also?

Looking at the back of the display, I do not see any connectivity possibilities, the additional Canton box does seem to have some. Does someone know where they are located for non-canton units?

$_59.jpg

$_59.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/11/2021 at 10:41, timster said:

IMHO I think 600W "total output" tells you nothing.

Indeed it tells enough to stay away of it. Total output on such 10 channel amp means it gets 60W per channel on average. A typical class D with latest tech and well executed power supply (which in these is not) would normally have 10% THD at these 60W and around 1% at 25-30W. This is why you want it to have high power output so when driven at normal volumes it can indeed keep THD low enough. Yes, cars are noisy but 1% from a non-tube source is a lot.

Afaik from what I see, at least the cones are made by Dynaudio. I think it would make no sense to them to outsource the rest and ship cones only, probably the whole speaker is made there. Never liked the plastic sound they have but from a car perspective are perhaps the best engineered drivers out there.

On 27/11/2021 at 15:18, timster said:

Could panasonic make speaker elements for dynaudio home speakers also?

Not even Matsu****a (Pan) runs its own production of drive units :) There are a few large OEMs that would build you anything based on what you want - Sinar Baja in Indonesia and Premium Sound Solutions from China are two of them. Forgot the third one in Mexico but they built most of JBL`s stuff. You do your R&D, then send them the plans and they`d build you whatever you want (of course with a stamp with your logo on it).

Indeed, one of the most awarded component speaker systems - the ARC Audio Black Series - used off-the-shelf drivers (SB15MFC30-04) engineered by Danesian Audio and produced by SInar Baja Electric - https://www.arcaudio.com/black-series-speakers That component set sold for over $1, 300 if I remember correctly where a single woofer if bought as SB Acoustics would set you back $45 (its a wonderful woofer indeed, I run 2 in my BMW some 10Y ago and even cut one in half for the folks at diyaudio).

Sonavox, looking at the way they`ve translated their website, does not put even 0.1% credibility in my eyes as loudspeaker developer. I would bet anyone that indeed 4 Visaton W 130 S in the doors supported by 2 nice mids upfront (Peerless and LaVoce have nice 2" fullranges) and some Monacor DT-300 or Seas 27TFFNC/G in the pillars and driven by a 10 channel Match DSP amp would make the Canton suck so much you`d throw up on the first go. And no need for sub.

I have the Canton Audio in my Skoda Mk4 VRS and yea sound was very much to be desired out of the box. I got my previous Mk3 Octavia VRS Canton system sound tuned by a Audio installer and it sounded way better. I put the same settings into the new Octavia (most of the settings were the same between the two)  and it made a big improvement. Obviously not going to stand up to a aftermarket professional setup but in Australia the Canton upgrade comes in one big pack (called Premium pack) and wanted the other options in there… plus it sounds better than without it so I’m happy. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hally83 said:

I put the same settings into the new Octavia (most of the settings were the same between the two)  and it made a big improvement.

Would you be okay to share the settings that you used?

On 26/11/2021 at 17:32, Stoffel said:

I don't have the Canton upgrade and haven't been able to find a workshop guide on how to remove the radio/controlpanel itself 😕

Ahh, I just see you asking me. I haven`t installed it yet - my car is not yet produced :D Would get it sometime April-May 22.

PS: DutchVRS - this looks great and very neat! Looking forward to you moving to the fronts.

On 12/12/2021 at 23:01, KBizzle said:

Would you be okay to share the settings that you used?

Here you go mate. The Mk4 Canton has more equaliser levels so I just made them the same for those that had more. Everything else is the same and transfers over. Sounds much better with them. I found if you want more punchier bass just increase the subwoofer level rather than the bass otherwise it’s too boomy (like in the photos)

AEF7D1E7-8208-4E01-A4C6-D15EC0BA1EB4.jpeg

879DC1FD-DB82-40C2-B211-CE2AF231E2CA.jpeg

101745D7-4205-44FB-BAB7-738F1E6AAC9F.jpeg

53FA564E-C794-4F0E-BA94-EEE62176C936.jpeg

Edited by hally83
  • Like 1