Road tax prices

Doofy

Hi, Got time on my hands with being furloughed still,,  I thought id have a look at what cars are for sale on Autotrader. Now i might be behind with recent changes but ive noticed that nearly everything now is £150 a year road tax, Gone are the £0. £20 and £30 days, Reading into it further,  Seems that cars registered after 2017 are a minimun of the £150 tax no matter if its a 2.2 TDI or a tiny 1,0 petrol, What happened to the sweetener of cheap tax to get the public into smaller more efficient cars,,, Why is this government such greedy bas*ards :angry:  ..But i suppose they had to claw that money back somehow, They were not going to give up such a lucrative income scam like that. We pay all that money to have the privilege of driving on some of the worst maintained roads in Europe...I can only think that our nuclear deterent probably needs updating so the money has to come from somewhere,, Just a pity its always the motorist piggy bank they raid..  So we just continue to drive our chunky engined Petrol and Diesel cars, Chucking £150 in the governments direction every year until in the not too distant future they try to force us into electric cars with the promise of zero road tax. And when everyone is driving electric cars they will remove the incentive of zero tax and start screwing us for road tax again...Sorry about the rant :biggrin::biggrin:

14 minutes ago, Doofy said:

What happened to the sweetener of cheap tax to get the public into smaller more efficient cars

Too many people buying low CO2 cars meant the Governments 'take' on Road Tax fell a lot, so they decided they needed to change to system so there's no longer any incentive to run a low CO2 car.

My 2015 Octavia (119g/km) is £30, my (now gone) 2008 C1 (109g/km) was £20 but it's replacement 2020 Aygo (99g/km) will be £155!

• Like 1

Much of the tax you pay as a motorist is via fuel taxation, unless you drive a tiny annual mileage.

As CO2 output is inversely proportional to mpg you still have a strong incentive to own/drive cars with low real CO2 because you'll spend less on fuel, and so less tax.

• Like 2

Lots of the £0, £20, £30 VED vehicles were not that efficient with their fuel use & the emissions figures were kidology much as they are now with the WLTP / RDE.

If they really are smaller, lighter and fuel efficient then running them will save the drivers money by them needing to purchase less fuel and pay less Duty & VAT.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Wino said:

Much of the tax you pay as a motorist is via fuel taxation, unless you drive a tiny annual mileage.

As CO2 output is inversely proportional to mpg you still have a strong incentive to own/drive cars with low real CO2 because you'll spend less on fuel, and so less tax.

My 2005 Octavia chucks out approx 150g/km, Or so the government says,,, Its far more efficient on Diesel than a lot of smaller engined petrol/diesel cars out there, Im Getting about 55 to 60 mpg just kicking about, So i buy less fuel, Hence less tax on fuel. Im paying £160 a year (I think) road tax. My sister has just bought a 2020 Peugeot, (Dont laugh:biggrin:) I think its a 1.0, Petrol, It produced less CO2 , It's less fuel efficent than my oil burning Octavia but shes paying £150 road tax and spending more on pertol, So more fuel tax,, It just seem mad.

Edited by Doofy

The Government or Governments never tested the cars for the emissions under the old system or the new one.

The Manufacturers were allowed to have the testing done for them and allowed to be able to cheat.

The new system is no better and it might be a EU World Wide Harmonised Test.  But the World is not believing it, and neither should the Governments that brought in the system of checks.

So as it is the systems are flawed.       At least the owners of the latest vehicles that might not be that economical are paying something to drive them or sitting parked on the public roads other than just by the purchasing of fuel.

• Like 1

If you want to know the real world fuel economy of a car you're considering acquiring, it's probably a good idea to research it on crowd-sourced websites like spritmonitor or fuelly, where (large numbers of) real drivers report their real-world fuel usage.  

Avoids some of the perils of the official testing that can give false impressions despite general good intentions of the legislation.

• Like 1

I think all this nonsense started after I had left the UK, I reckon the last time that I bought road tax was 2003, possibly 2004, I dont recall their being bands and some vehicles costing more than others, I dont recall it being a criteria for me although come to think of it my bike engined Caterham with an 1100cc engine did have cheaper road tax so my memory is not so good.

I dont think that back then the full rate was punitive and it certainlt did not influence my buying decisions, I had had a 2l Petrol Galaxy and then a 1.9 TDi Alhambra & my memory is telling me that the road tax was £125 pa, can anybody enlighten me as to what the rates were back then please?

Because £150 today sounds really cheap 15 years after.

Back then fully comp car insurance for me was about the same price, I dont think that has gone up much either unless you remain with an insurer and let them shaft you with increases year on year.

OTOH a neighbour told me how much it would cost these days for road tax on an older vehicle, my 95 2.0 Petrol Galaxy for instance, I was gobsmacked, his wifes little Japanese hatchback (petrol automatic, small engine) is costing him £300 per year, what do older vehicles cost?

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

can anybody enlighten me

Many ( 13 +  ) tax bands in 2003, from £0.00 to £580.00 PA.

see here :-

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/rates-for-cars-registered-on-or-after-1-march-2001

I bought a new car in 2003 which was £85.00 PA then, but went down to £30.00 by 2016 when I sold it.

Thanks, AG Falco

• Thanks 1

Thanks, usefull info, a correction though, the link is for todays RFL prices for and not those that were in effect in 2003.

My vehicle then was a 98 and it would not cost as much today as I had thought.

16 hours ago, Wino said:

16 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

Lots of the £0, £20, £30 VED vehicles were not that efficient with their fuel use & the emissions figures were kidology much as they are now with the WLTP / RDE.

If they really are smaller, lighter and fuel efficient then running them will save the drivers money by them needing to purchase less fuel and pay less Duty & VAT.

All three of the cars I mentioned have 'achieved' near enough 45mpg over the period of ownership - so in my experience CO2 output really isn't a guide to real world mpg.

Another example - my previous Audi B7 RS4 had the same basic engine as the later B8 RS4 (4.2 V8) but the B8 version had an improved inlet manifold so it developed 40bhp more, yet Audi claimed CO2 emissions approximately 30% lower???

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Wino said:

Published CO2 figures may not correlate well, but real output does. When you burn hydrocarbon fuels you make CO2, H2O and very little else, after all.

More proof that the published CO2 figures have little or no relationship to what happens in the real world!

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 2

anything over 40k new gets an additional payment for  the first 3yr.

So £140 becomes £550

And there are an awful lot of not very interesting cars these days that have a list price of over £40k, and it does include optional extas

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 2

On 23/03/2021 at 11:09, Aspman said:

anything over 40k new gets an additional payment for  the first 3yr.

So £140 becomes £550

And there are an awful lot of not very interesting cars these days that have a list price of over £40k, and it does include optional extas

FYI it’s 6 years.. 5 years from the first renewal.

Car manufacturers need to get realistic as to what is and isn’t a 40k car.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2021 at 09:49, cheezemonkhai said:

FYI it’s 6 years.. 5 years from the first renewal.

Car manufacturers need to get realistic as to what is and isn’t a 40k car.

SO had to have the loaded Mini with the extras that took the list price to 41k :crying:

51 minutes ago, Aspman said:

SO had to have the loaded Mini with the extras that took the list price to 41k :crying:

I made it very clear when looking, that I'd rather pay £1000 for the nicer wheels from parts than £550 with the car, because it's going to cost a couple of grand to tax it.  Most dealers are quite accomodating I find, with one suggesting I could take delivery of the car, drive it around the block and back and then pop back for them to fit that parts at a pre-agreed price.

EDIT:

IMHO car buyers have been ripped off for years by what is somewhat cartel like pricing policies. Every year all the cars go up and every year you're told it's due to something new. 40k is still a lot of money to most people, but many so called family cars are at this price level or above.

Did we see a huge drop in prices when manufacturers stopped making parts in Europe and instead made them in low wage countries? Of course not.

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Like 1

Just now, cheezemonkhai said:

I made it very clear when looking, that I'd rather pay £1000 for the nicer wheels from parts than £550 with the car, because it's going to cost a couple of grand to tax it.

Most dealers are quite accomodating I find, with one suggesting I could take delivery of the car, drive it around the block and back and then pop back for them to fit that parts at a pre-agreed price.

I did it with my eyes open (despite my weeping), our Countryman was a fairly rare (at that time) JCW with about £10k of extras thrown at it.

Just now, Aspman said:

I did it with my eyes open (despite my weeping), our Countryman was a fairly rare (at that time) JCW with about £10k of extras thrown at it.

Nice, of course if it's a lease, then it doesn't affect you, but I'm careful for exactly the tax reason you mention.

Of course if somebody has a nice £50k car they can't sell and want's to give me 20% off, then I'm all ears ;)

• 10 months later...

Changes have to be coming eventually in the UK.   

The inevitable rise in the cost of charging EV's at home or at Public / Commercial chargers might be putting some off the idea of them.

Surely the cost of petrol and diesel will also be rising as Filling Stations overheads for Utilities and staff costs (NI increase) will rise as well as the production cost of refining fuels.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-60251046

Edited by roottoot

In terms of road tax prices, here's how it will affect everyone.

(Source: https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1543215/car-tax-rates-change-april-2022-evg [accessed 04/02/2021])

Vehicle Excise Duty bands and rates for cars first registered on or after April 1 2017

If your vehicle produces CO2 emissions of 0g per km, your VED will remain at 0.

If your vehicle produces CO2 emissions of between 1 and 50g per km, your standard rate will increase from £155 to £165, while your first year rate will remain at £10.

If your vehicle produces CO2 emissions of between 51 and 75g per km, your standard rate will increase from £155 to £165, while your first year rate will remain at £25.

If your vehicle produces CO2 emissions of between 76 and 90g per km, your standard rate will increase from £155 to £165, while your first year rate will increase from £115 to £120.

If your vehicle produces CO2 emissions of between 91 and 100g per km, your standard rate will increase from £155 to £165, while your first year rate will increase from £140 to £150.

If your vehicle produces CO2 emissions of between 101 and 110g per km, your standard rate will increase from £155 to £165, while your first year rate will increase from £160 to £170.

If your vehicle produces CO2 emissions of between 111 and 130g per km, your standard rate will increase from £155 to £165, while your first year rate will increase from £180 to £190.

If your vehicle produces CO2 emissions of between 131 and 150g per km, your standard rate will increase from £155 to £165, while your first year rate will increase from £220 to £230.

If your vehicle produces CO2 emissions of between 151 and 170g per km, your standard rate will increase from £155 to £165, while your first year rate will increase from £555 to £585.

If your vehicle produces CO2 emissions of between 171 and 190g per km, your standard rate will increase from £155 to £165, while your first year rate will increase from £895 to £945.

If your vehicle produces CO2 emissions of between 191 and 225g per km, your standard rate will increase from £155 to £165, while your first year rate will increase from £1345 to £1420.

If your vehicle produces CO2 emissions of between 226 and 255g per km, your standard rate will increase from £155 to £165, while your first year rate will increase from £1910 to £2015.

If your vehicle produces CO2 emissions of over 255g per km, your standard rate will increase from £155 to £165, while your first year rate will increase from £2245 to £2365.

Vehicle Excise Duty bands and rates for cars registered on or after March 1 2001

For cars in band A, your VED will remain the same at 0.

For cars in band B, your standard rate will remain the same at £20.

For cars in band C, your standard rate will remain the same at £30.

For cars in band D, your standard rate will increase from £130 to £135.

For cars in band E, your standard rate will increase from £155 to £165.

For cars in band F, your standard rate will increase from £170 to £180.

For cars in band G, your standard rate will increase from £210 to £220.

For cars in band H, your standard rate will increase from £250 to £265.

For cars in band I, your standard rate will increase from £275 to £290.

For cars in band J, your standard rate will increase from £315 to £330.

For cars in band K, your standard rate will increase from £340 to £360.

For cars in band L, your standard rate will increase from £585 to £615.

For cars in band M, your standard rate will increase from £600 to £630.

VED Costs for cars registered before September 2001

(source:https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/rates-for-cars-and-light-goods-vehicles-registered-before-1-march-2001 [accessed 04/02/2022])

Engine size (cc) Single 12 month payment Single 12 month payment by Direct Debit Total of 12 monthly instalments by Direct Debit Single 6 month payment Single 6 month payment by Direct Debit
Not over 1549 £170 £170 £178.50 £93.50 £89.25
Over 1549 £280 £280 £294 £154 £147

Hope this helps anyone. :)

Edited by AnnoyingPentium

Still nothing to almost nothing for those cars in the 2011 to 2017 and low emissions.......

Fabia 1.4 TDI is 88 gm/km and still nothing and 0.9 TCE Clio is still £20 pa.........

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/rates-for-cars-registered-on-or-after-1-march-2001

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cars registered between 1 March 2001 and 31 March 2017

The rate of vehicle tax is based on fuel type and CO2 emissions.

CO2 emission details are shown on the car’s V5C registration certificate, or you can find emission details online.

Petrol car (TC48) and diesel car (TC49)

Band and CO2 emission Single 12 month payment Single 12 month payment by Direct Debit Total of 12 monthly instalments by Direct Debit Single 6 month payment Single 6 month payment by Direct Debit
A: Up to 100g/km £0 £0 N/A N/A N/A
B: 101 to 110g/km £20 £20 £21 N/A N/A
😄 111 to 120g/km £30 £30 £31.50 N/A N/A
😧 121 to 130g/km £130 £130 £136.50 £71.50 £68.25