5 years on and still happy.

Fabcol

Hi,

My wife and I bought our Yeti SE L 2.0L diesel 2WD in black back in July 2016. Having bought 14 brand new cars since 1990 this Yeti is by far the best car we've ever had and joy to own; the only thing I dislike about it is the stop/start function which I switch off every time I start the engine. Usually we keep a car until the first MOT is needed but we love this Yeti so much it's a keeper unless it starts to cost a lot in repairs. It's always main dealer serviced by DM Keith's in Wakefield and I look after it so it's still like new with less than 26,000 on its clock 

I've received an email from DMK saying the cambelt is due for replacing. The next service and MOT are due in July so I've booked it in for July for cambelt; water pump; service and MOT all to be done together saving hassle and DMK are collecting and returning it all for a total of  £826.

Depreciation reduces year on year and it has GAP insurance cover value  £14,000 until July next year. 

What a shame Skoda dropped the Yeti from production; we'd have definitely bought another when ours neared 3 years old. Funds aren't a problem but browsing the web looking at new modern cars my eyes glaze over and I become bored. Most modern cars are just clones of each other; full electric or hybrid hold no appeal at all. Ideally we'd like a new Yeti without lots of electronics; we never use the Infotainment but we can dream on. Normally we travel a maximum 7,000 miles each year but because of Covid lockdown it will be considerably lower over the last year.  Into lockdown last year we take this very seriously; the exhaust icon lit up on the dash meaning a decent run was needed our Yeti being the Adblue model; I must be the only one on the planet to have opened a police chatline requesting permission to take the Yeti on a decent run which was granted as long I was alone and didn't meet anyone; I took images of the icon lit and the mileage before departing then another image showing the icon out and the new mileage. Over the top maybe but I was covered in case I was pulled over.

Following a tip I bought  the following to try;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POORBOYS-BLACK-HOLE-SHOW-GLAZE-473ML-HIDE-SWIRLS-AND-IMPERFECTIONS-DETAILING/302087989807?epid=1230988384&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item4655d8ea2f:g:EwcAAOSwip5cSDrn&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACgBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkpFtSR0CGv%2Bh98r8Yb9quS4O8hjFcKmTKABV6%2F9dLqHhynqpAhVM0YqL%2BCDi7qVfjUzhZorjhsqhfF1LHk6O0vDUtN984PiAh%2Br0F7i5eX7toFgxyrZPtHq1hTNBAmkGgZxR6JOAVv%2F7KPlB7VjEA8aCQ0KvBTGYzY%2F6E9arAO9LfdXo4Eu5L3Oev7ZdRuvkX56u0OZE%2BtCOhaWgK0kJFpOy%2BlOiy5tkGoyHt9Cw8xud%2BPRtfLBxDPF37%2BqRsh%2BQdKGDZLW%2FDjUZ%2FDQ9eye8FYZ02%2F49ws8Jk82VKGAbIVADbXt6FzfxT3WyboK6OV7%2BjyZ3WJjarwrG%2FFgSa33VWWuNc6qmjzmA793KB%2BI0Q48uHJN5OctON1LnCypjj3XmpRmTNrE%2FYoXKfrxkR60T5rGkUQwlGQLtnHFHmby93SS0yPuJfd1JvNB0tOi%2BMFqGJMkp2n9vSARHinWVHSTkIeAejQgitqx774DtO9u2vFyjEIY0TFJYG04CAj%2FhOefI1O4w6c7ZVwQrBuetWi65iW3E27ZPvSxSm4U%2F3sLqGthd7W6iGbBPT3oJF8crun8eUExGZSq0L8c7rlgz5YvEOdCQHZsYYSVHjIyTcNtHH%2FWH9NpUnoqXsRzBmr3%2FEOpfacW4B5AVKsXslXgizFwQZclGbtuLZhMHV%2Fttn6gJmxQhVILcXqFAR2Lb%2BlYH9kPPl4LwwaKC93vQyBjL4msRL2hiFtzgd3UTVTfAy9U4wt0WOBFXbBzB1qSWxcwAzDVsuGbLiJ9ywl%2F82V5RS5M%2F86N3a%2B0rG%2Fj2%2BthK%2F71DREBM%3D|cksum%3A3020879898077dc6ebe63a6844a2ab0ea1c169891ae8|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

I used it for the first time this week and I'm impressed; normally if the Yeti is dirty I use bucket/sponge/leather but if not too dirty Williams waterless wash wax; the bodywork upholstery were treated from new so the Yeti is still gleaming. Two years ago we treated it to a set of Michelin Cross Climate tyres fitted on our driveway by "Tyres on the drive" costing £600; we've had little snow since.

I'm just rambling on after a week of hard grafting in the garden; it's raining at the moment and a black hole so I don't feel like doing much.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like 2

Hi Colin, I feel the same as you, we usually change at 3 years but have decided to to keep the Karoq indefinitely .

Very happy with it and as yet the plug in's and full electrical cars have no appeal, far too expensive and very limited range and charging points at present for what we do in our life.

Same as you I'm rambling , been rebuilding the driveway walls, it's raining and at 75 it's taking it's toll.:sweat::biggrin:

• Like 2

Same here, too.  Our Yeti has just entered its seventh year,  and we plan to keep it for a few years more.  Just about to renew the extended warranty:  all component cover for £180 a year is a no-brainer,  given that almost ANY repair, however minor is going to cost that.  (Not that I've ever had to use the extended warranty....nothing ever goes wrong..... OOPS,  shouldn't have said that!).  There's just no other car on the market that would replace the Yeti... and why are ALL cars today so ugly...all covered with bling and with horrible wheels?  Whatever happened to elegant looking cars  (not that the Yeti is elegant,  but it is at least pleasing to look at,  and so delightful to drive).  No,  we'll save our cash and hang on to the Yeti while she still behaves herself.

• Like 1

..was looking to change my Yeti last year pre covid, (had it for 2 years, but still only 24k miles). However I simply can't find anything to replace it with!....

..been looking at:-

Suzuki Vitara (still my preferred choice),

Suzuki S-Cross

Seat Arona

VW T Roc

Mazda cx30

Peugeot 2008

Volvo XC40

Ford Puma

Skoda Kamiq

Audi Q2

..but I still prefer the Yeti for all round performance, economy and practicality....

I was even thinking about a newer 1.2 Yeti, but they are 4+ years old now....

• Like 1

Don’t worry, we’re all in the same boat! Looked but can’t find anything to match the Yeti for space, economy and just likeability!  When it does come time for a change I guess it will be to a hybrid as I’m not prepared for the range anxiety of a pure EV.

No one can answer the question of what do you do on a long holiday journey when everyone else wants to charge their battery? I remember the queues to fill with petrol or diesel and can’t imagine what the queues will be like for chargers when it takes 50 min for a charge. Maybe by 2030 the battery technology will have advanced to the point where a recharge takes no longer than filling with petrol, but the charge density will have to be so high I can’t see it happening some how.

• Like 1

Can I join the club please? In May my Yeti will be 8 years new (how time flies, when I picked it up my hair was brown. Now, let's say a distinguished silver). It's been reliable, economical (for a car shaped like a brick) and very flexible for the uses it's been put to. I'd definitely have another for the same reason as others but with even the last off the production line now coming up for four years old I probably will just keep this one until it's uneconomic to repair or the parts aren't available. (Perhaps that's why Skoda stopped making them - once we'd bought one we didn't want to part with it?)    

• Like 1

Can I join the Club?

Five years on 26 April.

Couple of issues - ABS sensor failed (Christmas lights on the dials) and Amundsen2 replaced (both FOC under 5 year warranty)

No sunroof problems.

Overall, car still shining, face still smiling, definitely a keeper.

Just waiting, waiting, waiting for Europe to open up again but looking more like 2022 before restarting Euro tours!  

• Like 1

Only one year with mine and a very different year at that, other than the jobs I did when I got it, the replacement of the airbags, dashboard etc, discs & backplates due to corrosion where standing in salvage yard, nothing has gone wrong & its been a very enjoyable drive.

The economy will never be what the Octavias gave with the frontal area and 4wd but its better than it was sith the throttle venturi & butterfly declagged & the EGR stopped.

Biggest change has been the remap from 108hp to allegedly 184hp, overtaking is now a reasonably safe proposition, I miss the space of the Octavias especially as they carry a full sized spare wheel beneath the variofloor and not taking up its volume. I would not give up the driving position and shorter length to return though.

I am amazed at how much better the drive is consdering almost everything is the same components.

• Like 1

My third yeti a 2015 1.2 tsi elegance would normally be over its replacement date.But can't find anything better The boot takes a dog crate and fishing tackle all in a compact vehicle. If I feel like a change I go for a a spin in the wife's Suzuki alto. Yeti runs like a Rolls Royce in comparison. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merlin's Friend said:

If you haven't read this it is well worth a look, experts basically saying why we love our car so much....

Nine years ago next week I signed the order for our first Yeti, which was delivered five months later.  I still have the original Yeti grin. 

• Like 2

Hi,

Thanks everyone for all your interesting replies. :thumbup:

I have a couple of concerns in keeping our Yeti; how long before the electronics start to go wrong and given it's now value if it should ever be involved in a shunt activating the airbags; will it end up being scrapped because many excellent cars have ended up scrapped due to the cost of airbag replacement?  In the meantime we'll enjoy our wonderful Yeti as long as we can.

Yetis have great street presence; returning home from the supermarkets this morning I couldn't help but notice that our neighbours waved as we passed each other but their BMW;s; Merc's etc. all looked much the same and by the time I recognized them they were gone.

There used to be many Skoda Roomsters but these have mostly disappeared now I only see the odd one?

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fabcol said:

There used to be many Skoda Roomsters...   ...now I only see the odd one?

They all looked odd, Colin :D  I had two of them. Best cars ever!

My Yeti is four years old.  Last year the battery had to be replaced, fortunately under warranty.  This year, the water pump had to be replaced - at just 15,000 miles. Next year, the extended warranty I purchased with the car runs out and I am not sure I would want to own a DSG-equipped car out of warranty.  But there is no other car currently on the market that appeals to me.  Decisions... Decisions...

• Like 1

Our 2016 110bhp 2.0 Tdi SEL is lovely. Coming up for 2 years with it now and was considering a replacement with petrol power due to a change in usage. I’ve bought a cheap android phone for dedicated VAG DPF use, so I can keep an eye on the soot and ash build up, but I can’t say that I’m that wild about a Karoq and the Kodiaq is still relatively dear to buy. So we’ll be keeping ours for a while longer and see how our new usage impacts soot/ash.

First car for decades that has been named. Must be a Yeti thing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fabcol said:

I have a couple of concerns in keeping our Yeti; how long before the electronics start to go wrong and given it's now value if it should ever be involved in a shunt activating the airbags; will it end up being scrapped because many excellent cars have ended up scrapped due to the cost of airbag replacement? 

Almost certainly, mine was written off at 3 years old with zero visible body damage due to the airbag deployment, it still wears the original front bumper, unrepaired, unpainted and I would have to show you exactly where to look to see the minor scuff mark in the paint.

The good news is that if you retain the salvage you will be able to replace the airbags & the ruptured dashboard, seatbelt pyrotechnics etc very cheaply, keep your cherished vehicle and have at least 60% of the insurance payout in your sky rocket.

It cost me exactly £600 for a set of 3 airbags (steering wheel, dashboard & knee) a remanufactured dashboard (looks perfect 18 months later) seatbelts and the removal of crash data from the airbag module.

Prices will probably be lower now.

• Like 1

We bought our car as my wife's shopping car, mid range spec but with a few extras: heated front screen, factory fit tow bar, proper rubber mats front and rear as well as 4x4.  The thought was I could use the Yeti for motorsport organising activities, as well as shopping, to "save" my SJ 413 which is now starting it's third time round the clock.

Unfortunately she became ill after 9 months, and a further 9 months later died. The Yeti has turned 111k, a lot of off road stuff- including marking out a course for a 4x4 event at Bovington tank training area; quiet impressed as other more "off-road" vehicles got into difficulties.

I'm old school, we bought the car cash from new, and intend to keep as long as possible. Any money spent on "repairs" will be cheaper than replacing at intervals. The car is still in A1 nick, handles really well for a boxy 4x4. To keep the weight down, the rear seats are permanently removed, and the boot space is full of marshalling/ recovery kit.

I can't think of any car past or present that is such a good on/off road package - and it looks to be a future possible quirky "classic".

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Yety said:

I'm old school, we bought the car cash from new, and intend to keep as long as possible. Any money spent on "repairs" will be cheaper than replacing at intervals.

I'm rapidly coming around to your way of thinking, Jerry. Yetis similar to mine are currently selling for £12k to £13k.  So if I were to decide to replace my Yeti with (for example) a Kamiq, then I would need to find an additional £10k to £11k in order to fund the purchase. If on the other hand I were to keep my Yeti, the £10k to £11k saving should easily cover the cost of any "repairs" my Yeti is ever likely to need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robjon said:

I'm rapidly coming around to your way of thinking, Jerry. Yetis similar to mine are currently selling for £12k to £13k.  So if I were to decide to replace my Yeti with (for example) a Kamiq, then I would need to find an additional £10k to £11k in order to fund the purchase. If on the other hand I were to keep my Yeti, the £10k to £11k saving should easily cover the cost of any "repairs" my Yeti is ever likely to need.

Spot on!     Ours is a keeper for the same reason. Coming up to 5th birthday and still polishes up like new and at 33k miles the engine is just about run in!

• Like 2

Hi,

Our Yeti needed a new battery a couple of months ago during extra bad weather; it's possible just charging it up would have seen winter out and another years use from it  but we didn't bother just having it replaced at a cost of £286 it being a special battery due to the stop/start function. The battery and a set of cross climate tyres are the only expenses and the original tyres were still excellent so were sold on.

14 hours ago, Robjon said:

Well said Robjon; yes indeed an whole lot of spares can be bought for the amounts you quote  and I fully agree. It's not only down to money though is it with us Yeti owners; we love our Yeti's and I'm sure many Yeti owners like my wife and I can easily afford to buy a new car but there's no competition to the Yeti and with increasing electronics on every new car not everyone needs them we certainly don't. Having the stop/start alone pushes up a battery replacement cost; my first car an Hillman Minx convertible cost an whole £5 and I used to buy 3.8S Jags etc. for around £35. an MGYB saloon cost £16 taxed & tested; going back even further I responded to an advert for a child/adult sidecar at £2.50 and when I arrived a big single cylinder Matchless was still attached to it included in the price; a Norton ES2 at a fiver; obviously money was worth a great deal more during those long ago days but who would have ever thought a car battery would cost £286? In say ten years an electric car will possibly be scrapped due to needing a new battery; no thanks we're not adopting this one at all.

For the cost of trading in our Yeti against a new car we could buy a second Yeti if we had the space?

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like 2