Stop-start issue

ProfH

My new Kamiq's stop-start system is hopeless. On stopping, the engine coughs and instantly restarts, so I just turn it off (when I remember to do so ). My old Nissan Note wasn't much better in that respect, but hey, it was old. The Lexus 300h hybrid I had before that was (of course) brilliant in that respect (and in most other respects) - one could barely notice the system in its silent operation; but I cannot afford such cars these days. Apart from the stop-start problem, the stubbornly inoperable Skoda connect (not solved by either the dealer of by customer services) and the fierce, snatchy brakes, the Kamiq is mostly OK, and cruises pretty well.

Does anyone have a Skoda in which the stop-start system actually works?

Yes, my 18 reg Octavia, but I find it doesn’t like to engine stop when Cruise has a speed selected.

Re your choice of cars - 3 of the cars we’ve had with stop-start are the Skoda, Mrs B’s Note, and a Lexus IS300h!  

FWIW, the Lexus hybrid returned the worst mpg of the 3, the Skoda 1.4 TSI by far the best, so you win some, you lose some...

The stop-start works fine in my Kamiq. It's not silent in operation, but very quiet but you feel the engine stopping. Could that be because of the three cylinder engine being unbalanced?

Brian

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ProfH said:

My new Kamiq's stop-start system is hopeless. On stopping, the engine coughs and instantly restarts, so I just turn it off (when I remember to do so ). My old Nissan Note wasn't much better in that respect, but hey, it was old. The Lexus 300h hybrid I had before that was (of course) brilliant in that respect (and in most other respects) - one could barely notice the system in its silent operation; but I cannot afford such cars these days. Apart from the stop-start problem, the stubbornly inoperable Skoda connect (not solved by either the dealer of by customer services) and the fierce, snatchy brakes, the Kamiq is mostly OK, and cruises pretty well.

Hi, welcome to the forum, I suspect that you may have a problem with your battery SOC - perhaps a sudden drop in voltage when the engine stops, triggering a restart. Any of the many other factors that allow automatic stop/start will normally just prevent the stop from being triggered, Ie. engine keeps running and the symbol is displayed on the top line of the maxidot.  Two things that might be causing your restart - slightly turning the steering-wheel, or changing the pressure on the brake-pedal.

Edited by Warrior193
added tip
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 1

22 hours ago, ProfH said:

My new Kamiq's stop-start system is hopeless. On stopping, the engine coughs and instantly restarts, so I just turn it off

My MkII Superb 1.4tsi stop/start works very well. You don't really notice it when you stop until you drop the clutch to set off and you hear a brief whir of the starter motor. It did have a hic-up last year when stop/start stopped working however it was in need of a new battery - suspect lockdown and cold weather contributed to this!

If yours is stopping and then instantly restarting then something is not right. There is a complicated algorithm controlling stop/start including voltage, temperature, motion etc. I'd get it checked out.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

1.5 Monte Carlo, when we forget to turn stop/start off, as in we don't like it, it works fine as in stops the car and starts again as designed.

The Kamiq is so quiet on idle you cant tell it is actually going anyway, just the hesitation, and then vibration as it starts on the auto stop gives it away.

My Kodiaq is more noticeable with the sound actuator if engine is going but works fine, although I don't use start/stop there either. I automatically turn car on and turn that off every time as a process really. should be sort it with OBD11 but......

Edited by snala

On 28/04/2021 at 00:36, ProfH said:

Start/stop only works if certain parameters are met Battery charged above a certain level. How many consumables are on. If you slightly touch the clutch it will start. If you have dsg Battery could be going below charge level 

My Start Stop does that as well.  You stop and the engine cuts out then about 5 seconds later it starts again.  Pretty useless.  I have tried it with everything turned off (Aircon, radio etc) but its the same.  Its going into the garage tomorrow to have a couple of rattles looked at so they are going to check that as well.

Remember that number of actions can restart the car :

moving steering wheel

easing brake pedal

car in front moving off (it uses the radar)

cabin too cold

cabin too hot requiring air conditioning 

Some things will prevent start stop from happening :

engine too cold

battery not fully charged

high electrical load (heated rear window, mirrors, seats etc)

If your car is brand new, the battery might be bit down on charge if stored for a while.  But possibly there is a faulty battery or voltage detector which would be fixed under warranty 

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ayrshiredude said:

My Start Stop does that as well.  You stop and the engine cuts out then about 5 seconds later it starts again.  Pretty useless.  I have tried it with everything turned off (Aircon, radio etc) but its the same.  Its going into the garage tomorrow to have a couple of rattles looked at so they are going to check that as well.

Whatever uses battery and goes below charge will start. Move the steering. Indicators on.  wipers in Auto. Lights in Auto. esim ecall 

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/05/2021 at 19:36, SurreyJohn said:

Remember that number of actions can restart the car :

moving steering wheel

easing brake pedal

car in front moving off (it uses the radar)

cabin too cold

cabin too hot requiring air conditioning 

Some things will prevent start stop from happening :

engine too cold

battery not fully charged

high electrical load (heated rear window, mirrors, seats etc)

If your car is brand new, the battery might be bit down on charge if stored for a while.  But possibly there is a faulty battery or voltage detector which would be fixed under warranty 

I agree with Surreyjohn

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've noticed a weird behavior from the stop-start system in my 1.5 manual kamiq over the last few days.
Namely, on the first car start of the day, when I drive it around town, the system works as intended, even with the engine not at working temp. But, on every subsequent ignition, the stop-start system does not work. There is nothing to consume the battery, except for the auto lights.
Even when I go to the Vehicle status, the computer says that high battery usage is causing the behavior, but in reality that is not the case.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar?