Big Turbo setup for my 4x4

can try and get some updated pics for you on saturday if you like eddy? of course if just want to see them yourself can keep them off the forum!

No need but thanks for the offer. JBS are supplying me with updated photos at key stages. Although things have moved on since then there's not much else to see other than the modified driveshaft and prepped engine bay.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eddie, does the extra cc's make such a difference to the spool on the 3071? Mine comes on full boost at about 4500 rpm and thats with the 2871. I know James has laughing gas on his to reduce lag. Also have you not considered a big port head?

Eddie, does the extra cc's make such a difference to the spool on the 3071? Mine comes on full boost at about 4500 rpm and thats with the 2871. I know James has laughing gas on his to reduce lag. Also have you not considered a big port head?

Yes the difference with the 1.9 is one of the things I was most impressed with and was a must have part of the conversion for me. The equal length manifold also has a big influence on spool up.

There was no gas when I drove it.

The big port head hasn't been recommended to me so I haven't gone for it.

I hope you're going to de-smoke your Skoda badges mate, supercar baiting will be much more fun that way.

Yeah, new badges are going on, that's been the intention for a while.

This mota of yours sounds like a animal!! I'm having the same 1.9 conversion done to my VRS at the moment up at Jabba. Your have to let me know when its all finished for a track day meeting ?? Do you know when you get it back??

The plan is for it to be finished for GTI international. JBS think they are slightly ahead at the moment so I may even get chance to run it in first.

now i like the sound of the big figures but feel it might be a little late in the rev range for it all to happen, will certainly be an interesting vehicle to see on the road :)

now i like the sound of the big figures but feel it might be a little late in the rev range for it all to happen, will certainly be an interesting vehicle to see on the road :)

The 1.9 makes quite a difference at lower revs and there'll be a good 4krpm wide powerband which is similar to the power spread of a standard 1.8T just higher in the rev range.

TBH I was always against big turbos after trying 1.8T's with IHI and GT2871 I just wasn't impressed. However the GT3071 on the 1.9 was very different, I thought it was so good I bought one.

so whats the rev limiter going to be set at? :confused:

have you considered water injection aswell to lower temps and aid combustion? ;)

The rev limiter will be around the 8k mark and boost comes in at around 4k.

Water injection will be fitted when boost is increased above 1.5bar.

damn, its gonna be one of the most powerful 1.8T engines on the planet! :thumbup:

There's plenty of folks in the US running bigger turbos and I know of few in the UK running the same turbo as I will be.

I certainly hope mine will be in the upper percentile though. :)

I see no benefit in standalone engine management only negatives. Why would I need it as AFAIK can it only reduces functionality over the capability of the stock ECU.

Why only negatives, a standalone unit surely has greater flexibility in programming to control all relevant variables concerning fuelling etc.? Granted you lose some of the idle smoothness and cold-start functionality of the OEM ECU, but then you can do away with all that emssions control nonsense. Importantly, set up adjustments can be quickly made to account for future modifications and general engine bedding in. (Agreed though with one aspect of what you say; getting climate control to work has turned out to be a bit of a pain in the backside, this is still subject to ongoing work for me.)

Why only negatives, a standalone unit surely has greater flexibility in programming to control all relevant variables concerning fuelling etc.? Granted you lose some of the idle smoothness and cold-start functionality of the OEM ECU, but then you can do away with all that emssions control nonsense. Importantly, set up adjustments can be quickly made to account for future modifications and general engine bedding in. (Agreed though with one aspect of what you say; getting climate control to work has turned out to be a bit of a pain in the backside, this is still subject to ongoing work for me.)

With the right software the stock ECU can do all those things you mention including getting rid of emmisions controls. However it still retains all the safety sensors (if you desire) and has the benefit of being able to log everything with vagcom.

The only time I would consider after market management would be if the engine was going into a different car, and even then only as a last resort. VAG have spent millions on developping the software/hardware, so make the most of it. :)

Cheers for the pics Ed. It looks so sad bless it. :rofl:

I know what you mean about the upper percentile thing. I'm hoping my engine will be in the upper 1% of fast pd130 engines out there. Being on TDIclub though you get to realise there's people out there with lots of money who are taking pd130s to silly levels. I know of one 280hp golf on there running 40psi turbo. :eek:

Is 'GT30' just short for GT3071R then? Its up an runnning is it, I suppose it is a while since i was last there and the turbo was yet to go in!

Yeah, it can sometimes be confusing just like the turbo that used to be on there was a GT2871R but JBS referred to it as a GT28RS. :confused:

OK, i'm with it now. Now that is a big turbo, its the size of a dinner plate! Are you getting the cylindrical green filter too, you know, the one thats about 2 foot long!

No, just a panel filter in a modified airbox, better than any CAI performance wise IMO.

Yeah, it can sometimes be confusing just like the turbo that used to be on there was a GT2871R but JBS referred to it as a GT28RS. :confused:

Erm, GT2871R and GT28RS are different turbos. The GT2871R flows more IIRC.

Best sites I could find that states the specs are these:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cheapturbo/gtdpo.html - GT28RS

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cheapturbo/gt2871r1.html - GT2871R

IIRC they're both based on T3/T25 hybrids, and look similar however have different sized internals.

Erm' date=' GT2871R and GT28RS are different turbos. The GT2871R flows more IIRC.

[/quote']

I know, that's why I said it's confusing!