Keeping the selected preferences

Hi forum,

One thing (of many) that annoys me in my Octavia 4 is that it doesn't save the settings I prefer. Every time I need to stop the start-stop system and select the drive mode. In my Octavia 3 at least the drive mode was saved and the start-stop system was stopped from one single button. Now I need to press 'Set' button and stop the start-stop from the screen, then press another button and select the drive mode again from the screen. Definately not a quick get away car :D Is there a way to save my preferences or Skoda just messed this up?

Best regards,

Martin

I think this is because WLTP and CO2 values are measured when start-stop is on and driving mode is default (I can't remember which is default mode, E-Mode or Hybrid because I get Octavia IV next month)

When car start these must be in original settings.

• Like 1

As much as I hated my A8, those issues are things you can evaluate during a test drive.

Thats the way the cookie crumble and not an error. 

I’ve never driven a car where the stop start could be disabled automatically. It should not be anyway as it circumnavigates the emissions controls. 

More to the point I’ve never driven a car where the stop/start was even a slight issue. In fact its something I don’t even really notice working any more, it just happens in the background. 

Why would you want to turn it off all the time? Makes no sense. 

1 hour ago, MiniNinjaRob said:

I’ve never driven a car where the stop start could be disabled automatically. It should not be anyway as it circumnavigates the emissions controls. 

More to the point I’ve never driven a car where the stop/start was even a slight issue. In fact its something I don’t even really notice working any more, it just happens in the background. 

Yeah I don't get it either. Start/stop has never been an issue, you get used to it just like everything else and adapt your driving style. And if you drive an automatic the car starts up before your foot reaches the accelerator... Saves fuel too.

I can't understand how you guys can like the start/stop system. I would say it's one of the most annoying solutions in the automotive history.

I'm actually quite frightened just thinking of motor being turned off when waiting on the side road trying to turn on the main road with heavy traffic. I turn off the start/stop system with every drive I make. I'm already doing it automatically.

Edited by TheUltraRunner
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TheUltraRunner said:

I can't understand how you guys can like the start/stop system. I would say it's one of the most annoying solutions in the automotive history.

I'm actually quite frightened just thinking of motor being turned off when waiting on the side road trying to turn on the main road with heavy traffic. I turn off the start/stop system with every drive I make. I'm already doing it automatically.

Frightened? Really? Are you also frightened that the battery will electrocute you or the AC will give you frostbite?

I think you need to work on yourself a little bit, if you’re frightened of stop/start that’s a bit weird. I’ve done tens of thousands, probably hundreds of thousands of miles in stop start cars and after the novelty of the first car I had with it wore off (a few weeks) I don’t really notice it now - and I notice everything in cars that isn’t right (like my dad I can’t stand any rattles or things that don’t work as they should).

I don’t know a single person who has had an issues with a S/S car or even heard an anecdote of it not working. 

However I have seen the real tests that show it saves you 10% in fuel at least and it stops you contributing so much to horrific air quality in towns which affects kids most of all. 

You’d probably have a panic attack if you drove my last car, a Toyota Auris hybrid, which turned the engine off at any available opportunity - but yet it was the fastest car at pulling out of junctions swiftly that I’ve owned. 

Stop being ridiculously paranoid and selfish and leave it turned on. 

5 hours ago, zetzet said:

Yeah I don't get it either. Start/stop has never been an issue, you get used to it just like everything else and adapt your driving style. And if you drive an automatic the car starts up before your foot reaches the accelerator... Saves fuel too.

I don’t think you need to adapt your driving style, it just works fine anyway. 

Edited by MiniNinjaRob

3 hours ago, TheUltraRunner said:

What's frightening about it? You release the brake and the engine is on before you even start thinking about accelerating.

8 hours ago, MiniNinjaRob said:

One reason why we have turned stop/start off in our VW Golf Alltrack and now in the Octavia is to preserve battery life.

The battery in our Golf died suddenly after 23 months. Luckily the dealer replaced it under warranty but, if it were to fail outside warranty or if the dealer was not so obliging, it is expensive to replace compared to our previous cars.

Also it needs the dealer to reset some electronic settings. The mobile battery people do not carry it and all they can do is get you running so you can drive straight to your dealer without switching off the engine. There you can leave it for the rest of the day - so two round-trips and a day destroyed.

Also the delay to start, although slight, is noticeable and annoying.

I do not sit in heavy stop-start traffic so I do not have that motivation to reduce fuel consumption or emissions. If I was in that sort of traffic I might want to use the adaptive cruise control which would eliminate the worry about the slight delays so I could leave the auto stop/start on. However I am not sure it is so good for that situation. More for use at highway speeds, isn't it?

7 hours ago, DaveFromSydney said:

One reason why we have turned stop/start off in our VW Golf Alltrack and now in the Octavia is to preserve battery life.

The battery in our Golf died suddenly after 23 months. Luckily the dealer replaced it under warranty but, if it were to fail outside warranty or if the dealer was not so obliging, it is expensive to replace compared to our previous cars.

Also it needs the dealer to reset some electronic settings. The mobile battery people do not carry it and all they can do is get you running so you can drive straight to your dealer without switching off the engine. There you can leave it for the rest of the day - so two round-trips and a day destroyed.

Also the delay to start, although slight, is noticeable and annoying.

I do not sit in heavy stop-start traffic so I do not have that motivation to reduce fuel consumption or emissions. If I was in that sort of traffic I might want to use the adaptive cruise control which would eliminate the worry about the slight delays so I could leave the auto stop/start on. However I am not sure it is so good for that situation. More for use at highway speeds, isn't it?

Probably a duff battery rather than the stop/start function. I did 155000 miles, 3/4 of which were in and around towns for my job, the stop start working all the time, and had no battery issues, that was between 2 different cars. All my colleagues did the same and no issues reported, they all used modern stop/start cars of various brands. 

Wow guys. No need to attack me personally for expressing my opinion. 

Maybe frightened was a wrong choosing of words. I don't like the feeling of knowing the engine being turned off. That's it. And you can't compare this to a hybrid since there you still have an electric motor which drives the car.

And please don't throw that environment thing at me with saving fuel. There is a lot more efficient things to do to contribute to the clean environment beside using start/stop system. It might save you 10% of fuel in heavy traffic. But definitely not where I drive. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaveFromSydney said:

All that needs to be done when replacing the battery like-for-like is to change one value - the stored battery serial number, that's it. Anyone competent with a diagnostic tool can do it in less than 5 minutes.

1 minute ago, DaveFromSydney said:

Well that is not me.

My point is that it is not a whole day job for the dealer... they can do it while you wait (quicker than drinking a cup of their coffee).

15 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

My point is that it is not a whole day job for the dealer... they can do it while you wait (quicker than drinking a cup of their coffee).

Thanks. Good to know if I am in that situation again. But since last time the battery service did not have a replacement - and it would not have been like for like - I had to go to the dealer who also did not have one both in stock and charged ready-to-go. So I suppose that is why we left it with them all day. They probably did give me a lift home though.

• 3 weeks later...

First thing that dealer told me on my first dsg was be careful with the stop start. On a manual it's not an issue but on the dsg he pointed out that when you put your foot down expecting to pull out of a junction it can cause a delay. 

The Octavia's system seems better than my previous car but honestly I'd turn it off given the chance. 

• Like 1

My car without stop start: battery lasted 10 years

My car (VAG-car) with stop start: battery lasted 6 years

When battery died in my car with stop start it left me stranded at a traffic light at a very busy multi-lane intersection (NOT a very pleasant experience). If I had turned off stop start when I started the car alternatively had been able to switch it off once and for all then I at least would have been able to reach my destination (which would have been the next place where I would have turned off the engine).

9 hours ago, Joss1733 said:

Used stop star car for 4 years now.never had any problems at all.cannot understand why people do not like it for.

And I don't understand how some people can like it. :) Different people different likings and different driving styles. I know for myself I feel safer on the roads knowing car will not turn off by itself.

• Like 2

In my current car (Ford Focus '13 1.6 ecoboost) start-stop is rarely functional - and when it is it's pretty annoying because both engine start and stop is pretty noticable. With VAG-cars in general and also in mk4 Octavia cars which I had for some test drives (2.0 TSI vRS and scout 2.0 TDI) the functionality is barely noticable and doesn't bother me. Maybe during winter if the engine is too cold for my liking I'd like to disable it to both save battery and warm-up the engine.

I'm a convert to start/stop.  On my diesel O3, I always turned it off every time I drove but this was mainly because I hated the rattly sound of the diesel restarting.  Also, there were a few times when it had decided to stop the engine just as I was ready to pull away again, but insisted on stopping the engine anyway before restarting, which was annoying.

However, with my petrol O4 I barely notice stop/start so I happily leave it on all the time.  And, I think it's really cool the way in a queue of stationary traffic the engine restarts as soon as the car in front starts moving.

4 hours ago, Captain_J said:

In my current car (Ford Focus '13 1.6 ecoboost) start-stop is rarely functional - and when it is it's pretty annoying because both engine start and stop is pretty noticable. With VAG-cars in general and also in mk4 Octavia cars which I had for some test drives (2.0 TSI vRS and scout 2.0 TDI) the functionality is barely noticable and doesn't bother me. Maybe during winter if the engine is too cold for my liking I'd like to disable it to both save battery and warm-up the engine.

If the engine is cold or the outside temp is cold or the interior temp is low the engine wouldn't even switch off.

I can understand @TheUltraRunner disliking stop/start, especially in busy places or junctions of fast roads. There is something about the lack of immediacy that bothers me too.

I am getting used to it though, and in the Octavia 4 it is a lot better than early cars with the system.

What I do find odd is the way the loan cars e-TEC engine cuts out and the car coasts at 0 rpm. Quite odd at 70 mph on a motorway! Lifting my foot off the accelerator will sometimes result in the car coasting (no engine braking) and sometimes leave the engine running (with engine braking). Nearly 6000 miles in and I haven’t properly worked out the logic! Has to be with the suddenness of lifting off, I think…