Estate vs Hatchback Boot Size

It's time for a newer and bigger family car and the Superb is the No.1 choice at the moment. We're working to a budget we don't really want to flex too much, and finding the age and spec we want is easier to find in hatchback form than estate, but of course usable space is a concern.

Has anybody ever compared the actual usable size of the boot on each? Or, more importantly, does anybody have real-world experience of living with both?

It's inevitable that the estate is going to be bigger overall, but when it comes to real world practicalities like loading kids buggies and the other pointless crap important things we carry around, is there much difference?  

The boot floors look to be the same dimensions (depth and width), is that about right? If so it suggests it's the vertical height that varies most?

Any insight and experience would be really appreciated.

30 minutes ago, RobM said:

it suggests it's the vertical height that varies most

That seems reasonable; I've not tried with a Superb, but an Octavia estate can carry much more "tall stuff" than a hatch, with the seats up.

• Like 1

Octavia mk2 hatch vs superb mk2. 
For the airport run with load cover removed the superb wins as it takes more cases and larger ones also. 
for carry tools in large boxes and other stuff. The Octavia seems better because the load level is higher it means I can put more stuff in the boot and leave the parcel shelf in meaning nothing is on show. For me security is also just as important even if it’s just your holiday gear if it’s in view someone will try and nab it. Plus also on an estate if you had the load cover off items in the boot could roll forwards to the rear passengers. The secure aspect can be resolved with a dark rear tint of course. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick replies. For clarity, this is going to be the Mrs' car and we're coming from a Qashqai so both are going to be a substantial upgrade. We set out to find an estate for absolute maximum space and practicality, but the comments here seem to suggest my hunch was right and it's just vertical space to consider.

Having had the Saloon version, I can confirm the the boot is CAVERNOUS. 

If you do have the occasional tall item, taking the parcel shelf out gives plenty of space.

• Like 1

Having had a Superb 3 SLE Estate and a Superb 3 SLE Saloon car I can say that both the boots are vast. The only difference is as you have said, the vertical height at the rear of the vehicle. I have only had one occasion since moving from the Estate to the Saloon when I wished I still had the extra height and that was for an exceptional load. If I get another Superb it will be another Saloon and not an Estate. Unless you are going to be using the extra load carrying capacity frequently I would say just go for the Saloon. 

• Like 1

Amazing, thank you. That’s really where my focus is turning so hearing it from somebody who’s had both is perfect. 

We think we’ve found a dealer not too far away that has an estate and hatchback in stock in roughly the price range we’re looking for, so hopefully we can take all our kid-crap down there and load them both up!

I've had both and currently have an estate.  You're right about the vertical height - most times its not an issue but when you need it you really need it.  I got caught out once with the saloon when we bought a large armchair that was just a bit too high for the slope of the tailgate.  I'm happier with the estate.  We have two four year olds so we're finally free of buggies but the vertical space is very useful for easily fitting scooters, bikes etc etc

As other posters have said, security and safety have to be factored in as well.

I love the fact a large armchair being just too big for the hatch was the tipping point :D How many saloons or hatchbacks could you consider using for that?!

That point does resonate though, it’s inevitable that a day like that will come if we don’t get an estate. It’s why this is so tough. The estates are just a touch more expensive like-for-like which is a real bugger, so it feels like we’re choosing between an SE L Exec estate or a Sportline hatch with a couple of options ticked (power tailgate or Canton, it seems). Argh!

The problem with the Superb is that you get used to the idea that it'll fit anything and its a bit of a shock when it doesn't.  The armchair incident hurt my pride as my wife was surprised when I replaced the Mk11 Superb estate with a Mk111 saloon.  I looked at the boot capacity, decided that there wasn't much in it and thought that I'd save a few bob.  Its a bit of an extreme example though.  It only happened once and the chances are that you'll use & enjoy the extra toys in the Sportline hatch on a daily basis whereas the extra capacity of the estate might only be needed once in a blue moon.  On the other hand, you'll never regret buying the estate as you'll know that there wasn't a more spacious option.

I don't envy you your dilemma.

• Like 1

First, I just like the look of estates over saloons. But it just swallows everything. 29" mtb with just the front wheel off plus 2 kids bikes and the 2 kids or, 2 old style dustbins with lids upright for the tip run plus 2 hippo bags half full of leaves stacked on top of my each other. 

And as much IKEA stuff as you can push on the trolley. 

The height thing only be works if the items are tall. Small things stacked high become projectiles if not restrained.

8 hours ago, Chazzy said:

The height thing only be works if the items are tall. Small things stacked high become projectiles if not restrained.

This is why I have a removable dog guard thing that attaches to the rear headrests. Means you can stack it high for hols and add the roof box for silly capacity.

9 hours ago, Chazzy said:

Yeah; Upthread I had in mind how an Octy hatch can carry 2 suitcases lying flat, but an estate can carry 4 sitting on their feet.

When SWMBO and I were looking at a MkIII to replace our MkII that was written off in an accident, I was keen on an estate at first.  However, after we compared the estate and hatch in the showroom, we decided an estate wasn't needed and that the hatch had enough room, especially as there's only the two of us.  We've bought various bulky items from the online auction site John Pye based in Port Talbot and we've managed to fit items such as dining chairs in the back.  If there's a one off occasion when there's something too big for the hatch that'd fit in an estate, it's easy enough to hire a van for the day and it's cheaper than paying extra for an estate that you only need once.

I can imagine that if you have a dog and/or children, especially a large dog, that an estate is more suitable.

Like MartiniB, we make regular trips in the EU but in the opposite direction (well we did until Covid stopped us), going annually to Lithuania and also once to Belarus to visit SWMBO's family and friends.  We've filled the boot with things we're taking for them and folded the back seats down for our suitcases that we take out when we stop overnight and put the back seats back up to make it as secure as possible and keep everything out of sight.  It's the same coming home when SWMBO brings back her possessions still with her parents.

Nothing to do with boot size, but I went from octy hatch to superb estate, mostly because I think the estate looks cooler. 

Roof rails were a plus though, I got bored being dripped on in the octavia when it rained with a roof rack. 

If we could afford a Sportline estate with the options we want it would be a no-brainier as they do look great… but everything is a compromise at the end of the day. 

How fast things move... we've just put a deposit down on a 17-plate Sportline hatch, the 220bhp version (same engine I had in my previous car, a Mk7.5 Golf GTi, I presume?). All being well it will be bought and driven home next Wednesday. We'll take our kid-crap down, load it up, have a drive and hopefully take it home there and then.

It's a nice spec, white, 19" alloys, rear view camera, power tailgate, road sign display, CarPlay / Android Auto, all good stuff. 

Huge thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts and experience, I really appreciate it and it definitely helped us make our minds up... assuming we don't struggle to fit everything in on the test drive, that is :D

And with that I should apologise in advance for any dopey questions I start asking about it on the forum!

• Like 3

Congrats on the purchase. You'll be fine with the hatch. I constantly forget to take out the buggy and then go shopping... Still has 1/3 of a boot left which is more than enough...

As I normally shop alone, each rear footwell can swallow 2 large bags if I really need it too. 

I agree you'll get more out of a higher spec car day to day rather than having more load space for the occasional use. 

• Thanks 1

Longer in depth - an interesting concept!

There may be hope for me yet to become narrower in height :)

Edited by J.R.
  • Haha 1