Rev counter in eco mode

Hi, is it normal for the rev counter to drop to 1000 rpm in eco mode when car is over-running. For example when going downhill. then the rev counter goes to normal speed when accelerating?

It is very normal if it is a DSG and it is going into Coasting Mode so D6 would become D and the rpm would show at 1,000

It has disengaged from gear untill you touch the accelerator or brake pedal or there is a load on the engine.

EDIT

Or as @unclerichysays in your case 'E'  not 'D'

DSCN2349.JPG.e71cc2e8522beae0d2baea6e1a195f4f.jpeg.9a20cbd5a3ec77f1847a2b1ab57ea687.jpeg

DSCN1213.JPG.4409cd86e11c8990a4c3021f3be3fe31.jpeg.92ac056f647b3beff4c85c7049986f5d.jpeg

Edited by e-Roottoot

As a (slight) aside you may also see on your DSG that the car sometimes puts itself back into gear depending on the severity of the hill you are going down and current speed.

Depends where you live maybe, here in the Pennines I get this sometimes, a feature I imagine so that you don't end up doing 150mph by the time you're at the bottom of a huge hill.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gax said:

As a (slight) aside you may also see on your DSG that the car sometimes puts itself back into gear depending on the severity of the hill you are going down and current speed.

I've never noticed my 2016 car doing that so maybe it's a feature in later models (or maybe I'm not using the right hill).  There's a steep hill or two heading south towards Meadowhall and I just use the 'up' paddle to put the car back into gear when it's getting close to the speed limit.

2 hours ago, Gax said:

Depends where you live maybe, here in the Pennines I get this sometimes, a feature I imagine so that you don't end up doing 150mph by the time you're at the bottom of a huge hill.

Mine does this too and its quite handy...theres a hill by me and it starts off coasting down it then will end up in 3rd and use the engine braking to stop the speed increasing. 

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Well, more weird stuff in mine than, as stated in the DSG parking thread, mine starts of in D2, rather D1, unless towing or starting off on an incline.. As for the coasting, never had that happen, it allways stays in gear, and the the rpms correspond as well.. Be it on manual driving, or on ACC.. If on ACC i did notice it will downshift before applying brakes.. moreso wtih a trailer as well.. 2016. 2.0tdi 190bhp estate here.. DSG 6-speed tranny..

DQ250 boxes and DQ380 or 381 boxes all do the same thing with diesels - they slip and move into second gear as soon as possible.  They will only go into first if there is an incline or you need rapid acceleration.

• Like 1

@bubib5

Just to be clear, if you are parked be it on a hill or on the flat and with something on the tow ball and you start the car in P or N and you move the shifter to D to move off are you saying D1 is not selected and somehow with your foot on the brake or the parking brake doing its thing the indicator says D2? 

Or as with all others it shows D1 and goes to D2 and might stay in D2 before getting to D3.

Different cars / DSG's of different ages and with or without ECO settings can have 'Coasting' which you have to enable.

IMG_7731.jpg.e5d99f114ec20177d54f0f695a872fa3.jpg

20180429_091851.jpg.f5ddfeda179325e5cfd1d2359b628d81.jpg

Coasting-Function-ON-on-display-YSK_0728.jpg.8f101451c1a76bc7659ac1451cc9c483.jpg.2c462952620f98529e7dd6fdd6da3be3.jpg.fe42e53426157e0bddaf16cfdf08ecc4.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot

@e-Roottoot what im saying is that it will even say D2 and will start of in D2 in reality if not towing, and if on flat or slight hill, be it up or downhill.. It will show D2, and start as D2, if towing, or on a bigger incline, it will show D1, and start as D1.. If starting in D2 and the hill is more than the car "thought" it was, it will go down to D1, but its with a nice jerk to it.. If in S mode, always S1, and if in D you floor it, it goes to D1, but if its was saying D2 prior to flooring it, takes a second to downshift then starts pulling.. 

EDIT: as per the coasting, i cant find it either on the maxidot, or the MIB, will check out with my main stealer!

Edited by bubib5

Hi bubib5… Coasting is a feature only when in “Eco” mode. (Press the “Mode” button, near the gear lever, then choose “Eco” on the screen…)

Coasting stops (and a gear is engaged) if you tap the brake. To resume coasting, accelerate gently for a second.

Ref Shaady’s comment above, mine pops back into sixth when you coast up to 85mph (135 km/h!!) 

If you’re on the flat, starting in second is fine. 

I leave my Superb in Eco, except at night, because (most annoying) it also cuts out the swivelling  headlight function! Why?

Have you noticed that while driving, (even in Eco) if you tap the DSG gear lever back against the resistance, it puts you straight into “Sports” mode! Pull again to hop back…

1 hour ago, PeterCornwall said:

Hi bubib5… Coasting is a feature only when in “Eco” mode. (Press the “Mode” button, near the gear lever, then choose “Eco” on the screen…)

Coasting stops (and a gear is engaged) if you tap the brake. To resume coasting, accelerate gently for a second.

Ref Shaady’s comment above, mine pops back into sixth when you coast up to 85mph (135 km/h!!) 

If you’re on the flat, starting in second is fine. 

I leave my Superb in Eco, except at night, because (most annoying) it also cuts out the swivelling  headlight function! Why?

Have you noticed that while driving, (even in Eco) if you tap the DSG gear lever back against the resistance, it puts you straight into “Sports” mode! Pull again to hop back…

Ahh, now it figures, i do not have the mode button, hence no driving modes, hence no eco/coasting at all.. As far as i know, on a WV, the eco also removes the smart portion on the front lights, as well as reduce aircon usage..

Starting in second is pretty normal for a DSG box and nothing to be concerned about. The DQ400e does it even on engine power alone mated to the weedy 1.4.

With diesel torque and the smooth action of the DSG, constant starts in first aren't really necessary

It'll choose 1st if you're on a hill or if you thrash it a bit

On 26/08/2021 at 11:36, unclerichy said:

I've never noticed my 2016 car doing that so maybe it's a feature in later models (or maybe I'm not using the right hill).  There's a steep hill or two heading south towards Meadowhall and I just use the 'up' paddle to put the car back into gear when it's getting close to the speed limit.

Mine's a 2016 car too and it often does this when I'm driving up and down the hills through the Brecon Beacons or Epynt Mountain, depending on whether I head north or south from home.

• Like 1

It only happens in ECO mode with the DSG gearbox. Regarding starting off in second gear, this often happens if you are on flattish land or facing downhill. No real need for first gear unless you are trying to pull away like a formula 1 driver or on a steep hill.

19 hours ago, bubib5 said:

Ahh, now it figures, i do not have the mode button, hence no driving modes, hence no eco/coasting at all.. As far as i know, on a WV, the eco also removes the smart portion on the front lights, as well as reduce aircon usage..

If you don't have the mode button, you should be able to select 'coasting' in the settings menu, as e-Roottoot posted above.

Coasting is disabled when ACC is active.

7 minutes ago, daveo138 said:

If you don't have the mode button, you should be able to select 'coasting' in the settings menu, as e-Roottoot posted above.

Coasting is disabled when ACC is active.

Ahh, so i should disable ACC, then try to set in maxidot, under which menu should it be? Ill take a look once i rejoin with my car(its with my wife and kids on the seaside, while im working at home/have to drive my wifes A3 :D )

18 minutes ago, bubib5 said:

Ahh, so i should disable ACC, then try to set in maxidot, under which menu should it be? Ill take a look once i rejoin with my car(its with my wife and kids on the seaside, while im working at home/have to drive my wifes A3 :D )

You don't need to disable ACC in order to set coasting in maxidot.  Coasting will just not happen when ACC is engaged.

I do have the mode button, so I can't check where to set it in maxidot.  I did have a Passat without the mode button and it was available to set in maxidot, I just can't remember where. :biggrin:

Also, coasting will not work when the gear selector is in 'sport' mode.

With my 2021 model the car sometimes goes into coasting in D mode when I lift my foot off the throttle and other times it doesn't.

I thought initially this might be related to going uphill and downhill and indeed it doesn't go into coasting on an obvious downhill slope, but on the flat it sometimes goes into coasting and other times doesn't.

Also you can sometimes induce coasting by blipping the accelerator.

I have come to the conclusion it just has a mind of its own and leave it to it.