Hi Pete - are you still offering this service?

I've got a MKI Fabia vRS with a 6Y2959802 (SK240DDRS). Windows stopped working before Xmas. I've blundered about a bit, including  getting another (non-working) unit from eBay, and replacing the cap on the module, but made little progress. Looms on both doors check out OK.

This week I found that when I removed the controller card from the module and plugged it directly in to the door loom, I was able to restore window function briefly by heating the controller card with a hair dryer. Obviously I couldn't wind the driver's window down with no motor, but I could hear the relay actuating, and the passenger side was fine. When the card cooled down, the windows stopped working.

Does this sound like the fault in question?

If so, could I just send you the controller card, or would you want the complete module?

Thanks for any info.

Hello Matt, yes still fixing these.

It tends to make little or no difference to postage costs whether you send the whole motor module or just the Temic bit.

I'll send you a PM to discuss further. 🙂

Hi all,

Quick follow-up to my post of 4th February.

I posted the module off to Pete on Monday 6th. It turned up back here on Friday 10th, and it's now back in, and my windows are working perfectly.

If you're looking to get a little more time out of your Mk I Skoda, I can thoroughly recommend getting in touch with Pete. Particularly, if like me, you have an unusable aircon system, and we're potentially looking at another hot summer!

I'd already been down the route of getting an eBay replacement module. I can't recommend this course of action over talking to Pete.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @BeyondEvil, no I'm afraid I haven't got one of those.  The only left hand drive motor module I have is driver's side for a Roomster with all four windows electric.  

6Y2959802A.

I would say that it is rather rare for the passenger side modules to give trouble; have you checked its fuse and wiring at A-pillar bellows to either/both front doors.  I can assist with some voltage and  continuity tests if you have a multimeter, this can be just as effective as visual inspection of the wiring.  Is the passenger side door lock working normally/fully?

PM me if you like, particularly if you think you might like to try to sell my Roomster module locally for a big cut. 🙂

Edited by Breezy_Pete
  • Like 2

Hi Pete.

I have a Fabia mk1 2006.
I have the same problem as many others on this forum, electric windows work fine some time after the battery has been disconnected. Then both suddenly die. I can get one of them working by removing both fuses for left and right window (46 & 58) and then re-installing ONE of them.. If I re-install both fuses none will work.

Does this mean that the left (driver side in my country) window-motor-pcb definately is faulty? Or could it be the right one? Or could it be something else?

Hi, interesting observation about one but not both fuses. Not something I've heard before.

I would be surprised if the problem is not the driver's side module, but it could be worth checking continuity of the LIN data connection between driver and passenger side modules, pin 3 of the 8-way connectors on each; grey/white wire. It goes nowhere except from one to the other.

PM me if you want any further guidance. 🙂

Thanks for your prompt reply :)
I have read in several threads that you mention this LIN data connection. Before I did so I had a hard time trying to understand the electrical drawings in my haynes repair book, because the colours of the cable don't match those in the car, and in these drawings two cables are CAN.

Thanks for pointing out which wire the LIN data is.

I will do a
continuity test on it and I'll return here.

Thanks a lot!

No problem.  🙂

Pre-facelift Fabia had CAN-based window modules, quite different and rather more reliable I think.

LIN = cheaper...

Which country is home?

Edited by Breezy_Pete
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pacmyc said:

I see..
Sweden..

Funny we both have the same problem, post on the same day, and both from Sweden. :)

I have the proper factory repair manual (ErWin) for our car if you're interested.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BeyondEvil said:

Funny we both have the same problem, post on the same day, and both from Sweden. :)

I have the proper factory repair manual (ErWin) for our car if you're interested.

Yes interesting, I didn't notice your post when I wrote mine.
Yes I am interested.. Do you have a login or do you have downloaded files?
Maybe we shouldn't fill up Pete's thread with unrelevant stuff though,, please pm me..

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 30/08/2021 at 13:20, Breezy_Pete said:

Hello Briskodians,

I would like to offer a repair service for some types of electric window motor module as fitted to a few Skoda models, as well as one or two VWs.

At this stage it applies only to two specific, exact part numbers fitted to the driver's side front door, as follows:

6Y2959802  Fitted to later Mk1 Fabia, from around October 2004.

6Y1959801  Fitted to Very early Mk2 Fabia and Roomster until end of October 2007; as well as 9N3 Polo and a few Transporters. (And some late 9N Polos I have learned).

Private Message me a VIN if you'd like me to check whether your car has this part number fitted. 

(As described a few posts below, either of the above part numbers + suffix A on the end can also be repaired.  Also happy to try with units of the subsequent generation, with part numbers 6Q1959801F, G, H, or J.)

Note that both of these are driver's side units, the difference in part numbering is due to the orientation/positioning of the motor module on the panels they mount to. 

These parts suffer a type of intermittent, progressive failure where they 'sometimes work fine, sometimes don't work at all'.  This is what I can fix for you.

I will test your faulty unit, confirm the problem, repair it to full working order and post it back to you for £50, total.

You'd post it to me (less than 1Kg so can be sent as a first class small parcel for just £3.68 at present).  I would aim to turn it round within 2 days of receipt, and send it back first class.

This is the what the part looks like:

20210830_104835.thumb.jpg.48b8beb01209aa08d34422c3a421f169.jpg

Central locking via remote will still work in the absence of the window module, so you will be able to secure the car as normal while it is away. 

Obviously you'll want to ensure that both front windows are fully shut, as in the absence of the driver's side module the passenger side one will not operate.

New units are nearly £200 from Skoda/VW, and ebay 2nd hand ones with these part numbers tend to go for nearly £100.

I will charge you just £50 including return postage.

Cheers,

Pete

Dear Pete , Thank you so much for sorting out my old driver side motor it is back to normal , it is great efforts for saving planet  does not make sense to spend fortune to buy new motor for 10+ old car. I really apprecaite your quick response as well, I did not understand how 2nd class Royal Mail works but round trip took 4 days. Once again thank you so much. Kind Regards raky.  

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Dear @Breezy_Pete, My 2nd driver side window motor on its way to you, this was bought new from skoda and worked well for 5-6 years  , it had also intermittent issue like old one which is working perfectly fine now after ur magic. I just want to keep this spare until I change car.  

Request for your help please.

Thanks 

Kind Regards 

raky

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/04/2023 at 15:11, raky said:

Dear @Breezy_Pete, My 2nd driver side window motor on its way to you, this was bought new from skoda and worked well for 5-6 years  , it had also intermittent issue like old one which is working perfectly fine now after ur magic. I just want to keep this spare until I change car.  

Request for your help please.

Thanks 

Kind Regards 

raky

Thanks Pete for sorting out my 2nd motor as well. Really appreciate quick help please, Please keep saving planet. 

Kind Regards 

raky

• Like 1

Hi I have a 2007 mk2 Skoda fabia 3 both my windows packed in strangely after changing my battery, checked door over and found at least 7 wires broken these were repaired and the windows worked while I still had the door panel loose, once it was refitted they did not work.

Just had the panel off again to check the wires all ok (it’s now raining so had to stop) just wondering if this problem could be related to the repair you are advertising, I will put it back together once the rain stops if they do not work and you think the repair would fix not a problem sending it to you or having an exchange unit.

Regards Daniel 

DD1CC5FC-5657-44E9-9748-A1FC52DA293F.jpeg

Next time I can get the dog off my lap I will check to see if I have an exchange unit to suit your car. I think I will have.

That seems like your best option, cos you could swap that in and out with the current/original unit to see if mine always works and yours doesn't. 

Just need to be careful with the plastic mountings it attaches to, to avoid breakage if iterating a few times.