DSG Reset (Basic Settings)

Gavro

Hello everyone,

My car is Superb III (2016) with 6DSG.

I'm seeing all over the internet is possible to do "DSG Reset" which potentialy could improve gear shifts.

Now i found 2 methods of doing it;

One being 'simple' way with pedal press and another with Diagnostic tool.

Are those 2 operations even the same, i mean is it suppose to do same thing? Beacuse it is huge difference in prerequirements and procedure.

Anyhow, the pedal method has done absolutelly nothing, tried multiple times with smale changes in procedure, nothing. And in OBD11 all transmission basic options says "not available".

Somewhere i've read that all cars >2016 are unable to be resetted, but on the other hand lot of users are reporting successful reset with much newer cars. I dont get it, is it possible or not?

Thanks

During a chat at the weekend with a Master VW tech at a social event, I asked if there was any adjustments or way to change the shift pattens  on the DSG and he assured me all the YT Vids and posts re. a so-called DSG reset are nonsense; it’s not possible, even with their factory equipment. 

Whenever a various gearbox components are replaced, it's necessary to perform basic settings with a diagnostic device. This lets the gearbox relearn various tolerances and clutch engagement points etc. I'm pretty sure this is what people are referring to when they mentioned a 'DSG reset'.

If something is starting to wear, it might help but I doubt it'll make any major difference.

It's just a guided function within ODIS, there is an example of someone running through it here:

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

My Skoda superb Sportline 6 speed DSG was occasionally crunching when downshifting manually from 2nd to first. Took it to the dealer today and they apparently did a DSG relearn. 

Will see if it’s fixed the crunching but I’m not confident. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 28/09/2022 at 14:05, Donweather said:

Turns out problem of DSG crunching from 2nd to 1st has come back (so DSG reset didn't fix this).  Dealer was able to replicate (and record) in their on-road testing thank goodness.  Skoda have agreed to replace DSG under warranty.

DSG replaced today. Picked car up from dealer and driving car home I downshifted from 2nd to first whilst going down a hill and guess what……..crunch went the gear box. Turned around and drove car straight back to dealer and voiced my anger and frustration on the problem still being there even after a brand new DSG. 

Dealer couldn’t tell me exactly what they replaced (technicians had left for the day). Wasn’t sure if it was just the mechatronics or that and the clutch packs. They will let me know tomorrow. 

so getting sick and tired of this DSG issue and just reconfirms why I chose a manual in my previous Skoda. (Australia don’t offer manuals in Superb Sportlines). 

Edited by Donweather
  • Sad 2

One thing I get on when changing manually is a bit of a thump going from 3rd to 4th. All other gear changes are seamless. 7speed wet clutch. Is that a ‘thing’ or something that ideally needs looking at?

Yep. Nothing noticed in auto in either E/S/D. Doesn’t have to be full throttle and I haven’t gone through every rev range to identify but it’s pretty noticeable to me

16 hours ago, Donweather said:

DSG replaced today. Picked car up from dealer and driving car home I downshifted from 2nd to first whilst going down a hill and guess what……..crunch went the gear box. Turned around and drove car straight back to dealer and voiced my anger and frustration on the problem still being there even after a brand new DSG. 

Dealer couldn’t tell me exactly what they replaced (technicians had left for the day). Wasn’t sure if it was just the mechatronics or that and the clutch packs. They will let me know tomorrow. 

so getting sick and tired of this DSG issue and just reconfirms why I chose a manual in my previous Skoda. (Australia don’t offer manuals in Superb Sportlines). 

Sounds unlikely that they actually replaced the whole gearbox then.

The problem the dealers have in these situations is that they won't replace anything major until they get it cleared by the manufacturer (in this case, Skoda Australia) so they can be reimbursed for their costs. It may be that Skoda Aus are hoping that replacing just the mechatronics/clutchpacks will sort it out and telling the dealer to try that first. It sucks for us as the consumer though, as we're the ones who end up worse off in this situation.

1 hour ago, CRB123 said:

Sounds unlikely that they actually replaced the whole gearbox then.

The problem the dealers have in these situations is that they won't replace anything major until they get it cleared by the manufacturer (in this case, Skoda Australia) so they can be reimbursed for their costs. It may be that Skoda Aus are hoping that replacing just the mechatronics/clutchpacks will sort it out and telling the dealer to try that first. It sucks for us as the consumer though, as we're the ones who end up worse off in this situation.

Dealer rang me back this morning and said that with the DQ 250 the whole unit is replaced as one complete DSG (mechatronics and clutch pack). So brand spanking new DSG and first drive it crunches from 2nd to 1st. Not happy. 

• Crying 1

@Donweather Was that the Dealer Principal a technician or some random person that called?

The Dealership will able to show you the invoice and paperwork on the New Complete DSG that was delivered and fitted and the Area Warranty Manager will be able to arrange for the Master Tech that is going to have to come and examine the install.

They need to find out what has gone wrong with thousands of a spend and a new DSG. 

?

What age is your car and how many km has it done?

It would be handy if you showed at the side you are in Australia & the spec of the car more then a Superb Mk3.

(I have no idea what Super Sportlines are in Australia engine wise.)

Edited by toot

It was the acting manager of the service department. He spoke to the head tech this morning. 

My car is a MY21 Superb Sportline (same as 280PS overseas). It’s done around 38,000km but the problems with the DSG crunching have easily been there for some time (since around 20k I’d guess). 

• Thanks 1

Good, they have to get it fixed properly then. 

Is it a 5 year manufacturers warranty in Australia? 

?

Is nothing being said about your Non Factory Suspension or is it Factory Approved when fitted by a Skoda Dealership?

Screenshot 2023-01-06 07.50.26.png

Edited by toot

Yes mine is 5 year warranty but all new Skodas are 7 year in Oz now. 

What’s my suspension got to do with my crunching DSG?  BTW suspension is only a month old whereas DSG has been crunching for at least the last 18000km. 

Edited by Donweather
  • Thanks 1

The crunching DSG will be nothing to do with the suspension then, and neither will the Haldex or anything else.

They have replaced a DSG with a fault with a like for like equally faulty one.   

They will just spend money then and eventually maybe get somewhere.  Just like Robert the Bruce's spider. 

Edited by toot

On 02/09/2021 at 19:45, numskull said:

During a chat at the weekend with a Master VW tech at a social event, I asked if there was any adjustments or way to change the shift pattens  on the DSG and he assured me all the YT Vids and posts re. a so-called DSG reset are nonsense; it’s not possible, even with their factory equipment. 

What utter BS, using Odis (dealer diagnostic equipment) you can carry out basic settings on a Dsg gearbox, this has to be done when a new clutch pack or mecatronix unit is fitted, also when we fit new Dsg boxes you have to carry out basic settings, the Dsg box also learns your driving characteristics, you can also do a basic setting using none franchise equipment like a snap on or Autel diagnostic units, done it myself numerous times so I don’t know why you have been told this, perhaps he doesn’t know how too 🤔

Is there any way to adjust the shift patterns? Also, how can it “learn” driving characteristics when the requirements of the road conditions dictate driving characteristics? 

Edited by numskull

12 minutes ago, numskull said:

Is there any way to adjust the shift patterns? Also, how can it “learn” driving characteristics when the requirements of the road conditions dictate driving characteristics? 

Shift patterns aren’t adjustable just basic factory settings, the box learns the driver’s characteristics by seeing throttle positions and the amount of gear changes it needs for the roads its Travelling on etc, so a car that is sat doing motorway miles will change differently to a car that constantly does short journeys, also a driver that has a heavy foot compared to a driver that is a Sunday driver, those cars will change differently as well, this is called self learning, this can be re set by doing basic settings 👍

7 hours ago, sherlocks VRS said:

Shift patterns aren’t adjustable just basic factory settings

So where is the BS when the tech told me that is was not possible to change or reset the shift patterns on a DSG box?

7 hours ago, sherlocks VRS said:

……. the box learns the driver’s characteristics by seeing throttle positions and the amount of gear changes it needs for the roads its Travelling on etc, so a car that is sat doing motorway miles will change differently to a car that constantly does short journeys, also a driver that has a heavy foot compared to a driver that is a Sunday driver, those cars will change differently as well, this is called self learning, this can be re set by doing basic settings 👍

Ahhh right, I see. So its actually like an automatic gearbox, responding to the demands of the throttle position and it is not actually a sentient being is it, “knowing the road it’s is travelling on”, so it does not ”learn” anything at all.
Phew… I’m pleased we cleared that one up as I thought the 280 would suddenly decide to drive all the way to Aldi in 1st….for a laugh.

• Haha 1