Personalised Plates... Cool, or Sad?

Yogi-Bear

Personalised Plates... Cool, or Sad?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the idea of personalised plates?

• Cool!
    • Cool, but not on a Skoda...
    • Depends on the plate and the car
    • Sad!

Bit strange if you haven't got a VRS !

With regard to personalised plates in general, why not - it's your money and it's a bit of individualism in a world of sheep.

Beware personalised plates if you change your car regularly and want to keep the plates, as there's a charge each time you do it.

I had VR51 and my initials on my Mk1 Octavia vRS but didn’t keep it when I traded it in as though it would look odd on another car.

I now have a personal current style plate of initials and numbers that are relevant to me. Confuses some folk seeing a 57 plate on a newer car 😂

i've never had a private plate but then i've never bought a brand new car. I hope to get one and if i had a vrs would defo get the plate you are looking at for sure will look great

• Confused 1

I always think they look a bit sad if they are just like a normal plate trying to spell something or repeating the vehicle type...   but then that's juts me so if you want to - go for it.

(this from a man who quite likes his Northern Irish plate...   in Sheffield)

When they are “forced” (in other words it takes a while to work out what the owner was trying, but failing, to make the characters say) … they are awful.

When they involve the characters being respaced, they are illegal.

When they directly say something relevant (I’ve seen BMW 520 and XJ 12) they are splendid.

The very best I’ve ever seen, on the back of a Ferrari, was DAV 1D … in two lines on a square plate!   Such a potent combination, ignored. Now that’s class!

I love ‘em. Been at it since the 90s.

Have a few on car, bike, spares, wife’s car, kids cars.

Always smooth Perspex and stuck on for easy cleaning.

Also don’t get the desire for the latest big lumpy characters

As for illegal small characters, dodgy spacing and dark tinted plates.

Current one says SKODA. There are 41 available I think.

What’s not to like.

Edited by BoxerBoy

In the right context they are a bit of fun, and ultimately if it gives the owner some satisfaction then that's all that matters.

The "new(ish) spacing legislation killed off some genuinely clever and unique plates though.  This was inevitable as some plates were just ridiculous in terms of there "alteration".

There is a world of difference between the Liverpool football supporter who has  L1V FC  and the owner of JT   13 13  RC  (or whatever).  Sadly the 2nd group of owners spoiled it for the first.

a lot of people who buy a private plate, do it to try to  hide the age of the car , ie buy a 10 year  +  old car  and then make sure the plate goes on it before they drive it home, just in case the neighbours see  it's real age   sad sad sad 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, 310golfr said:

a lot of people who buy a private plate, do it to try to  hide the age of the car , ie buy a 10 year  +  old car  and then make sure the plate goes on it before they drive it home, just in case the neighbours see  it's real age   sad sad sad 

You cannot use a private number that makes a vehicle look newer than it is.

4 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

You cannot use a private number that makes a vehicle look newer than it is.

no, but if you buy a 10 year old car with original plate, then change plate to a private plate  which gives no indication of cars age,   ie   SAD 999 or  JC 5564 etc

Depends on plate and vehicle:-

1. RHU 999 (or 999 RHU). Terminally sad all year long. It's not clever to live in a village with a 3 character name.
  2. JAG 5 - Seen on Mercedes parked at Firhill. Good laugh.
  3. RFC 999 - OK, if you're a player and want to advertise the fact. Sad if you're just a fan.
  4. JOB 81E - Seen on vac truck, so good laugh.
  5. Attempt to get "his and her" initials out of something like "JR51 ELR" Terminally sad all decade long.

Personalised plates don't need to say anything!  I hated the reg number which arrived on a new MX5.  It was clumsy and each individual letter/number had to be clearly annunciated that I decided I couldn't live with it.  I now have the full set of numbers in the sequence and, guess what, I don't care what anyone thinks!

Our new car has a set of letters I'm not particularly happy with, so I am contemplating a new number. I asked the dealer if it was possible to reject the number and get a new auto generated number, but he said it can't be done. What did surprise me was that he said that before the change of ownership the dealers still had a list of numbers for a customer to chose from.

One plate I saw the other day was L10N GB. I thought it was a rugby fan, but the car was a 10 year old Peugeot, so I suppose he/she could have been a Peugeot enthusiast.

Lots have cherished plates on vehicles between putting them on appropriate cars.

I had S555 *** on retention but never put on anything other than a Subaru.

My son has a different S555 *** from my one on a BMW just now.

I have ones with S44 *** & J44 *** and they go on anything.

Best one local to me is F15 KEN  which Mr Fisken has on his Bentley.     

I liked the Briskoda members YET 1,

also the story of getting a NIP because of an error with a cars displaying a Showroom Plate YETI

Edited by roottoot

Round the corner from me, at house number 33, one car is N33 with his initials, and the other is N33 with her initials 

I have W7 KPR in my avatar picture, but could never justify the cost of actually putting it on a car