MIB3 Map Updates - again!

stewartv

2 hours ago, CJJE said:

I've read that VW will be making major changes to the MIB3 systems in their cars this spring, with new processing hardware for new cars. The software updates will be reportedly be offered to existing VWs, Skodas, and SEATs later in the year. 

As the system is designed by VAG, Skoda can only fit what they are given - although this doesn't excuse their refusal to accept and handle customer complaints better! 

See 2022 VW Golf gets major infotainment upgrade to fix speed issues (motor1.com) for more details.

Chris

13 minutes ago, Jelugs said:

Hi,

Thanks for that info.Potentially it’s good news but if they don’t handle it better than the simple map updates we may not move forward.

We will have to wait( again) and see!

Regards

1 hour ago, PHamers said:

Last Sunday and today I have driven some hours with the USB-C stick in the port and just now I have checked the software.
I do not know what happened but the software 9/21 has changed into 11/21 and software version is now 0276, so it seems to be upgraded.

That is interesting, as my car was only lifted to 0276 by my dealer to (hopefully) cure the SOS Error message fault.

I'd received that for the first time just a few days before they were due to replace the faulty steering wheel and controller that were apparently responsible for generating occasional 'Traffic Assist Not Available' and other error messages. My dealer had previously told me that there was no software update available for my car, but then offered the 0276 update when I'd reported the SOS Error message, and there was no suggestion that the car could receive this update online.

Chris

• 2 months later...

I have been updating the navigation maps using the download file on the portal.

My USB-C stick has been plugged in for several weeks and so far the maps have been updated from 19.11 to 21.7, which has been the case for more than a week.

It is stuck on 21.7.

The car was serviced a few days ago and the software was updated to 0276 and it had an infotainment update too.

I don't know when the map update stuck on 21.7, but I can see that the memory stick is not being connected to - see images.

I have rebooted the infotainment, reformatted disk and reloaded files.

Select a technology.jpg

Use mirrorlink.jpg

Unable to connect.jpg

I read on another Map Update post that Navigation needs to be running in order for the update to progress.

So I thought I would give it a try before going to the dealership for advice.

I have only tried it on a round trip of 45 miles and although the navigation database has not changed, I can see on the Media screens that the USB-C stick is connected and I can see the various navigation files.

I will keep Navigation running and see if the database changes.

I don't recall any instruction on the portal that Navigation has to be running for the update to take place.

• 2 weeks later...

Success! Our navigation map data was still from when the car was built (2020), and by following the update portal instructions I have now loaded the July 2021 map database.

A software fault meant the car wouldn't update the maps under the free Infotainment online feature available for the first year. The dealer has now uploaded a newer software version (0276) and today I put the usb-c stick with new map on it in one of the two slots next to the 12v cigarette power socket and opened the navigation screen, but didn't get it to provide route directions. We went from M3 to M25 then M1 and when we stopped at the services I checked and the map database had updated. Took about 4 hours, although may have been quicker as I didn't check it at the earlier rest break.

I'm not paying £44 to renew the Infotainment online for another year as whilst I'd get over the air map updates now plus traffic delay info, we use Waze via Android Auto which we find a superior navigation app compared to the Skoda one.

So the bottom line is - you can update your MIB3 maps via the USB-C sockets. If people cannot achieve success, it may be you need to have software version 0276 or newer to achieve it.

VRT24

So, you are at the same software level (0276) as I am, and the same navigation level (21.7).

I am still waiting for my navigation to update to the latest, which I think is 22.1.

7 hours ago, Toolie said:

VRT24

So, you are at the same software level (0276) as I am, and the same navigation level (21.7).

I am still waiting for my navigation to update to the latest, which I think is 22.1.

Just a thought - if your map data is staying on 21.7 - was the download you took from the update portal 'OI_P65_EU_202125'? That was the one I used and if it was the same for you, then you may be trying to get your MIB3 to update to what is already installed.

VRT24

Good point.

Yes, that is the download I am using - I assume it relates to week 25 of 2021 - which would be 21.7 .

On the portal, the download is 'ECE 2022' - which I assumed would be the 22.1 update that I have read that other members have downloaded and installed.

Could it be that there are different "ECE 2022" downloads depending on your vehicle VIN.

I will download the current update and see if it has a different folder/file name.

I have just started the download and cancelled it because I can see that is has the same folder/file name as before.

Does anyone have any ideas how to download the '22.1' version.

My software is stuck on 0270 and maps on original (I guess) 21.5  - i am now trying to update maps via usbc - I have downloaded to c drive/pc the ECE2022 off portal using MS Edge - it then said "open file" and now I have the below/attached list - not sure what to do now? Thats as far as I have got - nothing transfered to usb stick as yet as only on c drive  - Have I already unzipped file ? (and if not what do I use to do that?). If it is ready as below, do I simply copy /paste all/whole of the list onto usb c stick?    File name suggests maps are not 2022 but 25 (July??) of 2021 - is that latest mapset?

image.thumb.png.d92f2e1d8519fb8e3d4bde80dbd7e449.png

Edited by mistac

mistac

Do you have Connect services?

If you do, you might get software and map updates automatically.

If you have had the car from new then I suggest there is a problem with automatic updates.

My dealer recently updated the software from 0270 to 0276 - this was in response to me reporting that the SOS service dropped out on a few occassions.

I have read that dealers only perform software updates in response to issues reported by vehicle owners.

Re the map update - yes, copy/paste the files to your USB stick, put it in your vehicle, leave it there and activate Navigation when driving (even if you don't need it for route guidance).

The update files you have will take you to 21.7 - as they did for me (see previous posts).

I have heard of a 22.1 update but can't find out how to update it manually.

On another thread I read that somone had that update performed automatically.

Mistac 

I'm assuming your car was built around May 2021 and (assuming again) is/was new to you - in which case as a new car you would benefit from the Skoda Connect services. Key in those is Infotainment Online. That is free for the first year and enables the infotainment to obtain things like live traffic reports when navigation is being used and also over the air map updates. Theoretically the car should connect over the air at some point in that year to update the maps to whatever is current. However, one of the faults with software version 0270 is that those over the air updates never happen.

This issue is covered under Skoda's TPI 2063258/7 - there have been posts on this forum covering this TPI which time prevents me from searching for at present. But from your point of view you need to talk to your dealer and get them to perform the software update from 0270 to 0276. Once done, your maps should then update over the air and you won't need to play around loading them yourself via USB-C flash drive. Bear in mind (if my assumptions were correct) your first free year of Infotainment Online will expire in May, so the sooner you can achieve the software update the longer you'll have for the system to perform the map data update itself. 

Regretfully, I think you will see other glitches start to appear if you don't get the software updated - the SOS button feature starts to drop out from time to time but magically resets when you stop the car and then restart it the next day. Finding the TPI thread here will give you more details of faults that can occur at anytime with 0270 software version.

It will help your cause considerably if your dealership's service team understand that the maps should update over the air under the first years Infotainment Online service - if they acknowledge that then you can show them that the factory build map database is still in place, so clearly something is wrong!

Good luck.

3 hours ago, Toolie said:

mistac

Do you have Connect services?

If you do, you might get software and map updates automatically.

If you have had the car from new then I suggest there is a problem with automatic updates.

My dealer recently updated the software from 0270 to 0276 - this was in response to me reporting that the SOS service dropped out on a few occassions.

I have read that dealers only perform software updates in response to issues reported by vehicle owners.

Re the map update - yes, copy/paste the files to your USB stick, put it in your vehicle, leave it there and activate Navigation when driving (even if you don't need it for route guidance).

The update files you have will take you to 21.7 - as they did for me (see previous posts).

I have heard of a 22.1 update but can't find out how to update it manually.

On another thread I read that somone had that update performed automatically.

Yes, I do have connect and no my maps have never updated as far as I know - purchased it new in Jun21 - had dealer service a few weeks ago and I did mention software update to them but nothing was done and I was not that bothered at the time as I have never had any issues/error messages etc. However, I would like to update maps if poss whilst I remain on my 0270 software? So the screenshot of the files I attached earlier can directly be copy/pasted onto USB stick as they are? - I was not sure if I needed to (or had!) zipped unzipped correctly!  

3 minutes ago, VRT24 said:

Mistac 

I'm assuming your car was built around May 2021 and (assuming again) is/was new to you - in which case as a new car you would benefit from the Skoda Connect services. Key in those is Infotainment Online. That is free for the first year and enables the infotainment to obtain things like live traffic reports when navigation is being used and also over the air map updates. Theoretically the car should connect over the air at some point in that year to update the maps to whatever is current. However, one of the faults with software version 0270 is that those over the air updates never happen.

This issue is covered under Skoda's TPI 2063258/7 - there have been posts on this forum covering this TPI which time prevents me from searching for at present. But from your point of view you need to talk to your dealer and get them to perform the software update from 0270 to 0276. Once done, your maps should then update over the air and you won't need to play around loading them yourself via USB-C flash drive. Bear in mind (if my assumptions were correct) your first free year of Infotainment Online will expire in May, so the sooner you can achieve the software update the longer you'll have for the system to perform the map data update itself. 

Regretfully, I think you will see other glitches start to appear if you don't get the software updated - the SOS button feature starts to drop out from time to time but magically resets when you stop the car and then restart it the next day. Finding the TPI thread here will give you more details of faults that can occur at anytime with 0270 software version.

It will help your cause considerably if your dealership's service team understand that the maps should update over the air under the first years Infotainment Online service - if they acknowledge that then you can show them that the factory build map database is still in place, so clearly something is wrong!

Good luck.

Thanks - was just replying to another reply when yours came through at same time - I think your reply has summed up my position pretty well! My car was registered new in Jun21 - some of the under the bonnet date stamped parts suggest it was approx Mar-Apr21 build? I have all connect services registered 

Update - went to my local dealer and mentioned tpi / software update and they seemed confused and surprised I had access to tpi numbers as we were not supposed to have them! Said no update was available for my car but noticed that "data protection was not authorised" on the connect portal that they have access to so they felt this was stopping the online map updates. I had my doubts but took the email address they gave to chase this up. I then rang my not quite so local supplying dealer and told them the issue - they rung back a little later and said a software update was available and it is now booked in for a few weeks time - they felt the data protection bit was most probably a red herring - I still dont know what the data protection bit is and I dont think my local dealer did either other than it was not authorised - all I know is I  have connect and also did the validate id bit with the dealer as well  - If I was asked about data protection I am sure I would have responded to that at the registration time. Hopefully the update will sort the issue!  

Edited by mistac

12 hours ago, mistac said:

Update - went to my local dealer and mentioned tpi / software update and they seemed confused and surprised I had access to tpi numbers as we were not supposed to have them! Said no update was available for my car but noticed that "data protection was not authorised" on the connect portal that they have access to so they felt this was stopping the online map updates. I had my doubts but took the email address they gave to chase this up. I then rang my not quite so local supplying dealer and told them the issue - they rung back a little later and said a software update was available and it is now booked in for a few weeks time - they felt the data protection bit was most probably a red herring - I still dont know what the data protection bit is and I dont think my local dealer did either other than it was not authorised - all I know is I  have connect and also did the validate id bit with the dealer as well  - If I was asked about data protection I am sure I would have responded to that at the registration time. Hopefully the update will sort the issue!  

Unfortunately not all dealership's are the same! Thankfully it sounds like the supplying dealer is at least willing to help so with any luck (and the software update) you should get things sorted. 

It would seem that among dealership staff, product knowledge of the MIB3 system is not always comprehensive. The various staff at the dealer that did my software update thought map updates were via SD cards and/or over the air updates were a permanent feature, despite my pointing out Infotainment Online will only work if the facility is paid for after the free first year.

Reading this thread makes me happy that I hit the "sweet spot" with my late 2018 SeL DSG. My great local dealer (Vindis Bury St Edmunds) updates the software and the MIB2 SD card for me at the annual service.  I also have the flappy paddles (that get used occasionally) and bootlight torch that I understand are no longer on the SeL 

I had the free year of Skoda Connect when I bought the car and never used it. I'm not sure I'd be happy to pay for it.  Without Skoda Connect would the maps still get updated at the service?

I use a Zumo 550 on my motorbike (previously used on my non satnav Yeti) and the maps on that date from 2007.  It still finds places I want to get to. Think about it, 99% of roads don't change. Out of date maps generally show you driving across fields when trunk roads are altered.  Even up to date maps can get you lost (try finding Cambridge Crematorium amid the current "road improvements").

tom

Just checked my MIB3 system and its showing Version 0302 and maps 22.1. It was delivered to the dealer in Oct last year so probably built Aug. I got it ( a pre-reg) in Dec last year and fairly sure that it has updated (OTA) the software from 0276 and the maps must have updated at least once.

That is the benefit of having Skoda Connect - free for the first year - annual fee after that.

My vehicle is 18 months old - I did not renew Connect.

My dealer recently updated the software to 0276 - in response to the SOS drop out issue.

The update portal has map update version 21.7 for my VIN.

I do not know if it is possible to get the 22.1 for the 0276 software.

My Dec 20 built Karoq was registered end of April 20 and purchased by me 14th May 21, the software is 0270, and the maps when I bought it were 20-11, it updated OTA in June last year to 21-5, no map updates since then, Must say that I'm not all that impressed with the maps anyway as it shows a Texaco fuel station by me that was demolished over 10 years ago and a Lidl built on the site. I shall have to go to the dealers and see about the software upgrade to 0276 as I have had no luck doing the map updates via the usb port.

On 28/03/2022 at 22:20, mistac said:

Update - went to my local dealer and mentioned tpi / software update and they seemed confused and surprised I had access to tpi numbers as we were not supposed to have them!

Well, seeing as anyone at all can register at https://erwin.skoda-auto.cz/erwin/showHome.do and pay 7 Euro for one hour access, which also lets people see TPI numbers for their VIN, it's a bit odd of the dealer to say that

To be fair though, very few people will do this, and seeing as the system is frankly intuitive and complicated to navigate (if I'm being charitable), it's no wonder why either!

TPI.thumb.png.6a26cd78a035c255c323798305505451.png

• Like 1